Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
LaurieC Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I just wanted to pass this on to those of us who are struggling with this tremendous challenge of rebuilding our marriages, repairing our broken trust, and broken spirit.<p>Yesterday I had to take my son for a physical and there was a long wait. While in the waiting room, I scanned the room and noticed other couples and wondered what their relationships and marriages were like. (I seem to do this a lot now for some reason. Guess it's just like when you buy a new car you suddenly start noticing all the other cars just like it on the road??) <p>Anyway, after the waiting room cleared out a little bit, I looked up and saw that there was only me and an older couple waiting. The appeared to be in their late 60's or early 70's. They were sitting next to each other, his hand was resting on her arm. They weren't really talking very much, but I could just sense their closeness. Both of them were wearing wedding rings, so I assumed they were married. At any rate, the nurse came out and called the man in, and I was left there sitting with this woman all alone in the waiting room. I looked closely at her and saw worry in her face and her eyes. I don't know why, but I was compelled to talk to her. I moved closer to her and out of the blue, asked her how long she and her husband had been married.<p>She answered," we just had our 52nd wedding anniversary this past October." <p>I said, "Praise God! Congratulations, that is so amazing." Then I said, and this is very rare for me to do as I am very private, "my H and I have been married for almost 16 years, and this past year has been the most difficult time ever. For a while, I didn't see how we could make it through."<p>Then she said, "dear, we've had difficult times. Plenty of them in 52 years." Then she looked right into my eyes and said, (and this is the part that gives me goose bumps and I know was a message from God) "what you two are going through right now, I'm sure we have been through before. You can't be married 52 years and not go through everything a couple can go through. But we just never let go of each other. And during those hard times when it would have been easy to let go, we held on tighter."<p>We talked some more, and later, she told me her H was being seen for prostate cancer follow up. My son came out before her H, so we had to leave, but I told her that I would keep her and her H in my prayers. She told me she would keep us in her prayers too!<p>I know this was a message from God for me and for me to pass on to all of you who are rebuilding. His message, delivered by this woman, "Hold on tighter."<p>God Bless you all!<br>

S
S
LaurieC:<p>God bless you! What a great message and what a blessing to me! Even though my husband and I are not going through the "hard times" yet, I know they will come, and I will "hold on tighter!"<p>Thanks for all of your encouragement to everyone on this board. You are a gift form the Lord!<p>Love to you in Christ Jesus,<br>Singer

D
D
Laurie:<p>That's a great story! Couples who've reached their 50th anniversary must be doing something right, eh? Wouldn't it be great if there were a website where they could post their stories? It could be called: "GOLDEN RULES: How We Stayed Together For 50 Years." What a tremendous resource for engaged couples, newlyweds, and even us 'old married people' types! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<p>[This message has been edited by Doug (edited 02-04-99).]

A
A
Laurie, your story brought tears to my eyes. I always thought it would be so romantic to say one day that my H and I were married 50 years or more and fully intended to reach that unless the Lord wanted one of us first. But that may not come to be, as my H seems to have no interest in returning to this family.I guess his idea of going thru hard times is not the same as mine. He is passive, and would rather run than fight. I continue to pray for him and myself whatever the Lord has planned. And I hope many if not all of you will one day look back on many years shared happily together, thru good times and bad.

D
D
Thanks so much for posting that story I needed to read it today. I am going to send it to my H too.

B
B
Laurie, thanks for sharing this message. I have tears in my eyes. Thank you again.

L
LaurieC Offline OP
OP Offline
L
You guys are most welcome. I had to share what happened because it really moved me as well. I think God sent me that message because lately I have had this tremendous urge to go up to almost every older married couple that I come in contact with and ask them to give me some wisdom. Unfortunately, I do not have any elderly relatives who still have marriages intact. Some are widowed, some are divorced. The closest thing I have are my inlaws (H's parents) who have been married for 43 years, but their marriage has always been very dysfunctional (the effects of which my H unfortunately brought into ours!!! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]). They never talk to each other, they physically abused their sons, and they are all conflict avoiders. So, I don't really have any other elderly couples to talk to.<p>But yesterday God put me in a comfortable and safe environment in which to reach out to one of these couples. It was the chance I had been waiting for. I'm so glad I did it, and I'm so glad the message touched some of you. It touched me too.<p>Doug,<br>Oh how I wish there was a site like that! Especially if they really spoke candidly about their experiences. I am sincerely interested in hearing insight from elderly couples who have weathered all kinds of storms, including infidelity, and have not only survived, but flourished. And guess what? They would have done it without Dr. Harley, without Plan A, Plan B, Surviving an Affair, or any of the books that are out right now. Those are the people who can teach us so much about love and life because they would have triumphed the good old fashioned way: with God leading them. <p>God Bless!<p>[This message has been edited by LaurieC (edited 02-04-99).]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, that was a really nice story. Thanks for posting it. Makes you wonder how many senior citizens have gone through this. I bet lots. I guess hardly any marriages can escape this. That's sad.

I
I
I do have a very good, wise friend of 70 years, Marie. Still married , many years now.<p>She is one of the first people I went to when this happened to me. She had alluded to this problem but never, never gave me any detail. It is very painful and private to her. <p>When she was 33 her H had an affair. She confronted him and he left to live with the OW (single). She was in bed for six weeks and unable to do much of anything but she never contacted him. Then she went on a very public date to their special restaurant. She didn't like the guy, he got drunk and her heart was NOT in it at all. Her H was told by many of her activities. Two days later he was back. He had been drinking all the time with the other woman and woke up in alley one nite. He missed clean clothes and home cooked meals. He's never strayed since.<p>I think this shows several things. Her six weeks in bed gave him the time he needed to have his fun with the OW and see some reality. Her dating and appearing to have moved on was the final snap for him.<br>(Plan A because no love busting, Plan B because she moved on)<p>She also states that she has forgiven, will never forget that pain, and to this day does not trust in him. The affair changed their marriage forever. They have never been to therapy.<p>Sad, but this IS an age old story.

S
S
Laurie,<br>This was very encouraging to me and Andrew. I seldom post but read MB daily. I look for your posts because of your godly input. You have been a light to me through this dark stage in our marriage. I am thankful for you and putting Christ first in your life. It is evident in your writings. God Bless

L
LaurieC Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Dear SweetP,<br>Thank you so much for your kind words. I am glad you can see my dedication to Jesus Christ in my posts because it is the most important thing to me. I think in this day of doing the PC thing, Christians are often reluctant to stand up and declare our conviction. So, I am always happy to hear if a post has touched someone or made them think. Sometimes (like HGB and Ginny) I almost feel likeI, too, do not belong on this board as I have some strong reservations and concerns about Dr. Harley's methods and concepts. But as long as there is someone I can touch, reach, console or help in whatever way, it's worth it, right?<p>God Bless you and thanks again for the encouraging words. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]

N
N
Laurie - I always said this happened to my H and I about 4 years ago. We were going through times no tougher than now, but we stuck together. We were both depressed and had little to give each other - but we stuck together.<p>This time, when he was depressed, he turned to others. What made the difference? I wish I knew!!

S
S
Dear Laurie<br>I am also thankful for your email address you gave me a while back. I will email you soon. Our family is on our way to Myrtle Beach for the weekend. Thanks again. God Bless.

L
LaurieC Offline OP
OP Offline
L
SweetP,<br>You and Andrew be sure to have a wonderful weekend!!!! Many blesings to you!! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<p>NoraP-<br>What happened this time? He screwed up big time, that's what happened!! No mystery there. Good people do make poor decisions and do bad things sometimes. We're all human and everyone makes mistakes. This time, he made a very, very big mistake. But......... I think the message from God here is that it is how we handle the aftermath that counts. Ok, mistakes and transgressions have been made..... now what? Do we run and head for the hills, or do we keep on keepin' on? For me, the message is clear, hold on tighter. Things will get better Nora. Keep the faith.<p>God Bless.

Y
Y
Laurie<br>Thank you for such an inspiring story. We have much to learn from our elders. If nothing else, we can learn from their mistakes. I'm glad you come to this forum, despite your qualms. You bring a ray of sunshine to dark, dreary times of our lives. You give hope to those who need it, and I for one say HOORAY for you to give to us who have and still do need it. Your wisdom has helped me before. Thank you so much!

L
LaurieC Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Pooh, thank you so much for those encouraging words. How are you doing these days? I hope that you are finding your way to some peace and happiness (with God's help of course!! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]). Continue to seek and find hope and encouragement anywhere that you can. <p>God Bless!

L
L
Laurie, thank you for the encouraging words. I to have put my faith in God to fix my marriage. I don't often post here but always read what is going on in others lives. You said some things in your last few posts that struck a chord in my heart. I would like to talk with you about them via e-mail. Either leave me your e-mail address here or you can give it to me via my e-mail address. Mine is <br>Lefty26@execpc.com. Thanks again and talk to you soon.

C
C
Laurie, I was about to give up, but thanks to your story I will try even harder. Almost 6 years ago I said the vows and meant them, now I pray to God to help us rebuild in this time of need.

L
LaurieC Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Critmom,<br>Yes, lean on God and He will deliver His blessings unto you in your time of need. It's one of His promises, and God is faithful and fulfills His promises. Bless you! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]

L
LaurieC Offline OP
OP Offline
L
For Wasstubborn and Whodat. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>------------------<BR>No one said this (life) was going to be easy.<P><BR>

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation