Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1445466 08/05/05 10:31 AM
S
OP Offline
S
My H told me two weeks ago he'd met someone and was leaving me to be with her. I had no idea he was unhappy, or that anything was going on. I convinced him to stay for now and he agreed to marriage counseling because he believes the way he went about it was wrong. He says he loves me, just not as much as her. I know from this site that for marriage counseling to work, he must let go of the OW completely but he won't send her the "Dear Jane" letter. He says he's trying to make up his mind which one of us he wants. I believe he's had little contact with her in the last two weeks but I know he still communicates occasionally. I also know that he's in "withdrawal from an addiction," but I can't get him to see that and it's not coming out in the counseling sessions. In fact, the sessions pretty much just have us talking to each other (which we do anyway), but when I bring up the need to let the OW go, the counselor just says my H has a right to his feelings that he can't let her go. I almost feel like C is approving of their continued relationship, so I can't get H to see the other side, and as long as he keeps stringing both of us along, he's never going to be able to make a decision! I know it's early yet, but I'm in a state of limbo wondering if I'm going to "win the prize" and be able to eat, breathe, and concentrate on work again. How long is long enough to wait for the answer I want to hear? How can I convince him he needs to cut all contact with her if he wants to get out of the withdrawal phase and be able to function again himself? FYI: Married 16 years, no children, and even he will admit he has no idea how this obssessive "love" came to be because we have had an incredibly strong, healthy, happy, respectful, trusting marriage. How can I get him to understand that this is just a crazy addiction that he can break free from?

Thanks for listening.

J
J
Take this over to the GQ forum, or the JFO section. It gets much more traffic than this forum, and the people there deal with this kind of thing on a more regular basis.

You may also want to read up on plan A and plan B in the meantime, so you are better prepared for the info you will get over in General Questions or Just Found Out.

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks, Jaye

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 676 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation