Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1523605 11/17/05 08:17 AM
D
OP Offline
D
I started posting a few weeks ago to the Divorcing/Divorced forum, but am moving this question here for rapid response and wide-ranging opinion.

Far too late in the MB process, I'm in the middle of Exposing my wife's infidelities to friends, neighbors, acquaintences, co-workers, professional colleagues, and relatives. She is aware and has called it a hate campaign. Irregardless of my motivations, I have a question.

An important set of personal contacts is only accessible through a Yahoo Group. The content of my email to this group includes, clearly, my half of the story, complete with embarrassing sordid details about the extent of the wifes lies and deceits.

While it can be argued that this tact is wreckless, is there an element of legal liability if I'm careful to disclose only that which has been documented in email exchanges?

Your collective experience, wisdom, and heartfelt opinion is greatly valued and appreciated.

Martin 52
26, (10, and 7 at home) y/o kids
m x 3
Trying to build on something good
M
M
It is my understanding that the truth is a defense for libel.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

A
A
As long as something is documented truth, it is hard to defend against it.

With that said, you have to be careful that the truth is not used as a weapon of malicious intent. For instance, a person does not launch a campaign to drive a person out of business based upon certain truths. The person may then have a right to seek damages. i.e. If I put up billboards that a local merchant was an moslem. It may be truthful, but maybe my intent may be to drive him out of business.

E
E
An important set of personal contacts is only accessible through a Yahoo Group. The content of my email to this group includes, clearly, my half of the story, complete with embarrassing sordid details about the extent of the wifes lies and deceits.
While it can be argued that this tact[sic] is wreckless[sic], is there an element of legal liability if I'm careful to disclose only that which has been documented in email exchanges?

If you need a legal opinion, IMO it is far safer to seek one from an attorney than from a bunch of strangers whose legal competence is unknown to you.

D
OP Offline
D
Point taken. This is a first pass, early in the morning, prior to the $400/hr consultation.

Martin 52
26, (10, and 7 at home) y/o kids
m x 3
Trying to build on something good
O
O
Slander is hard to prove but in writing a WS could twist it to her favor and probably win.

Your best bet w/b to let your actions show she is gone and let them ask you. Ex;

On-line chat:

Friend 1: Hi BS, how u doing?

BS: It's been rough but learning t/d better.

Friend 1: Been sick?

BS: Yes, been sick.

Friend 1: Contagious?

BS: Yes..... seem like my W got bite by a bug and has infected our entire family.

Friend 1: What?

BS: She hangs around with some strange guy and well.....it's like she has been bitten by a rabid sort of creature. She is acting a bit insane.

Friend 1: Oh, I've seen some like that before. U take care. Just be strong for yourself and your family.

BS: Thanks, I am trying. It is sure hard sometimes.

Now it may take longer to get your side across but with enough hints, they will figure it out. Then you don't have to worry about slander.... you didn't tell them, they figured it out themselves. re: Soooo obvious.

take care,
L.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 313 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation