Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1618246 03/23/06 03:03 PM
T
OP Offline
T
I have a question that maybe you can help me with. I don’t know if I am being over bearing or not however I have strong convictions about this. I and my wife have been married for over 2 years now. We have been together for about 3 ½ years. For this length of time, I have been the one that pays for everything. When I say everything I mean every single thing. I often complained that it was too much for me to take care of everything in this household by myself, but I never got help. My wife would work, and when I asked her to pick up a bill, she would quit her job. There were times where I would go negative in the bank 3 and 4 hundred dollars trying to pay for them all. Well I have finally gotten to the point where I got into financial trouble and had to dig myself out. I had defaulted on some student loans and almost lost my truck. I have stabilized my finances to the point where I have become frustrated, because I had to do it all myself. I am now to the point where I don’t want to be with her. I feel more like a care taker than a husband. We have two children that I take care of. The only thing that I don’t pay for at this time is daycare, and I have to do that now. My wife has started a new job. Typically she gets a job that doesn’t require a baby sitter because it was on my off hours. However she has elected to get a job during the day when I work, so now we need a baby sitter. At her new job, she will be making about 7 bucks an hour. She found a friend that will watch the girls for 80 bucks a week for both of them. I told her that I was not paying for the daycare and that she can pick up the bill. She said that she might as well not work because she will not have any money. That doesn’t make sense to me, why should I have to pick up another bill because she wants to work? After bring home and paying for daycare, she will have $500 to do whatever she wants. She told me that I was being unreasonable and that I should split the daycare with her, because I make more. I make about $50,000 a year; however that is not the point. There is no partnership at my house. I pay the rent, electric, gas, water, car insurance, car note, grocery bill, my personal bills, by the girl’s diapers and clothes, basically everything. There are some months I have some money left over and some months I don’t. If I was making 1,000,000 a year, I would still expect her so pull something. I have to clean my house, and basically it comes down to the point where I am asking myself, why am I married? What is the benefit? If this is a partnership, why am I the only one? Please give me some advice.

God's love
H
H
Welcome to MB - How did you get here ?
As you can see I am a junior member and I usually concede
there are a lot of others here that have better insight than me.

Slow down and take a deep breath - relax

Read thru the free material on this site.

Have you ever heard of Dave Ramsey ? He's a finance guy whose big push is to get debt free. I think he has a lot of good advice.

As far as who does what in your household - that is something to come to an "enthusiastic agreement" between you and W. Read up on POJA: policy of joint agreement.

Something I goofed up on was the "enthusiastic" part - I always gave a hard sell until I got my way and then I would just shoot back - you agreed (back when I was not the brightest light bulb).

One of the things (IMHO) you should do is work on a budget that only considers your income.

If your wife works you can attack some debt or have some exrta spending money for both of you.

Don't ever make her feel less important just because she makes less than you.

Avoid using the word "everything" - you don't do everything.

First read up on lovebusters on this site and give them up.
Let us know how things are going.

Good luck.

Trust in the Lord
H
H
From a wife...

I cannot believe she expects you to do such! I am a stay at home mom to our 4 children so I am not making anything right now but I would never expect my husband to clean the house!! A little help here and there would be wonderful but it is MY job to do most of it because HE is the one working and putting the roof over our head. I did work a bit a few years back at a bar (he didnt like that at all and once I figured out I didnt either I quit but..) with my tips I payed bills or bought cigarettes for us both. I didnt work to give ME spending money, I worked to give US a little extra on his check so I usually spent all of mine on little bills or whatever to help the main check go further.

She doesnt sound to be worried about "both of you", she seems to be worried about "herself" If she has $500 spending money then by all means you should too! I hope she sees that she needs to help out!

Rachel

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 128 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Jmoor9090, Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker
71,841 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation