Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
OP Offline
L
Two years ago I inherited monies from my father at the time of his death. The money was deposited into a joint acct with both my H and my names on the acct. Only inheritance money has been deposited in this acct. My WS is in the midst of an A but still living at home. In the event of a divorce is he entitled to half of this money? Would I have to prove that it was actually inherited?

F
F
Loving

Not a lawyer but I can tell you that you don't have enough information for anyone to tell you what to do.

Where do you live is the most important question. Each state has different laws etc. They are very complicated to say the least.

Your best bet is not to get advice her but to find a lawyer in your area. They usually have low or no cost initial consultations Find out that way.

With that being said why are you giving up already? Have you even tried Plan A. Read through this site and see if you can save your marriage first.

BS 38
FWW 35
D Day 10/03
Recovery started 11/06
3 boys 12, 8 and a new baby

When life hands you lemons make lemonade then try to find the person life hands vodka and have a party.
W
W
Regardless of whether you have to split the inheritance with him, get it out of that joint account RIGHT NOW! Your H could get it and spend it without your knowledge. Open a separate account in your name only and deposit exactly the inherited amount.

disclaimer - I am not an attorney, but I'm confident that the advice above is sound.

WAT

L
OP Offline
L
I've previously posted under the topic Someone to talk to

I have spent hours and hours on here reading.
I am Plan Aing although not so well. A has been exposed but it continues right under my nose with no secrecy or denials anymore whatsoever.

I've read HNHN, SAA, and currently reading LB and have ordered Dobson's book Love is Tough.

I'm not giving up just yet but wondering if there's any hope. Feel like a doormat. Just trying to get my ducks in a row, etc in case he decides to move out which has been discussed. At the last minute he decided to remain in our home if i would allow it which of course i did.

L
OP Offline
L
Reside in KY

F
F
Don't want to be the bearer of bad news so here is a link.

http://www.divorcesupport.com/divorce/What-if-I-put-the-inheritance-into-our-joint-1272.html

I would take it out now though. Because it is a joint account he can withdrawl from it.

BS 38
FWW 35
D Day 10/03
Recovery started 11/06
3 boys 12, 8 and a new baby

When life hands you lemons make lemonade then try to find the person life hands vodka and have a party.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 93 guests, and 80 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation