Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1713671 07/21/06 01:41 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Hi all,

I feel like a total schmuck right now, but it has been 15 years since I've had to deal with any of this.

Background: My wife and I are nearing the end of divorce mediation after I discovered a little over a year ago she was having affair.

Shortly after discovery, I panicked and went into depression, and jumped ahead of things and started joining dating web sites, just to see what I may or may not be up against if the M could not be saved. I had no intentions of going beyond 'exploring', but I did 'meet' a woman who seemed to be very cool, right up my alley, and had alot in common with me.

Ill-advised, I sent her a message, and we began a 'friendship' corresponance, with the complete understanding, that that was as far as it could go, I disclosed to her everything about my current situation, but she was still enthusiastic about being friends via email. It was really nothing more than sending jokes back and forth, maybe me venting to her now and then about my home troubles. But from the inception, I felt some sort of connection that went beyond normal, but I chalked it up to fantasy, since we never ever got together or even went beyond computer words.

During the course of that year, my M had several major ups and downs, looking like we might be able to repair, then me finding out she was still having affair...a real roller coaster. Eventually the final nail in the coffin came this Feb and March, and I knew it was time to throw in the towel.

After one devestating event with W, I broke down, and gave OW my cell #, and we casually talked on phone for several weeks. After one final devestating event, I suggested we meet, and we did. It was a bit awkward, but friendly.

Slowly, over the course of a few months, and my marriage completely deterioated, we saw more of each other, but it was purely friends basis. At one time she even said that 'we were nothing more than friends...we're not dating!"...and other statements that were apparant attempts to make it clear that we were just friends.

But there have been other signs in emails and in person, that there may be more. I definately feel more. My feelings for her have grown exponentially in the past couple of months. After much soul-searching, needing to determine that it wasn't justn't a fantasy in my mind, that I wasn't just looking at her to fill a 'hole' in my life, but coming to the realization that I felt a connection with her that I neve felt before, that she 'gets me' and 'understands me', I know in my heart that this isn't just superficial 'rebounding' on my part.

The past few times we have gotton together, I have subtly sat closer so we touched and she has not pulled away, but hasn't made any moves either. We have always hugged since we met the first time, but usually she patted me on back, which was always a sign to me that it was just friends. Two times ago, we briefly kissed as I left her place, and last time, we did again, and she gently caressed my forearm as I walked out the door.

I am seeing her tonight, and am anxious yet again, feeling the need to finally let her know in no uncertain terms how I feel, but the catch-22: I value her friendship so much, that I'm afraid to make a move, or just come out and be honest about what I feel. I was never much of an agressive dater to begin with, and my confidence in understanding women is compeletely shot after the sordid episode with my soon-to-be-X.

I wish I was better at reading signs. The only thing I can add is I get the sense she has been burnt alot in the past, and may be hesitant herself, and may also have been cautious until she knew for sure that I wasn't just B.S.'ing her about my situation, but I think she knows that I've been telling her the truth all along, so maybe she is opening up more? Or maybe I'm reading into things altogether?

Don't know anything about anything anymore, except how I feel.

N
N
Want to save it,

It doesn't matter how much you've "searched your soul" to see if she is just filling a hole, because when you come from a situation like your marriage there IS a big hole to fill even if you don't see it and even if your mind rationalizes that this is something special. This relationship is not special, or good, or a great connection or anything like that. It's unhealthy bonding. Break it off. Give yourself time to heal and learn to fill in whatever you are missing on your own. If you are meant to be together, then you can pick up the friendship again after healing yourself.

By the way, I see serious danger signs in what you've written. Why would anyone want to date a woman who was OK with the fact that you were on a dating website while you were still married and not yet divorced? Why would anyone want to date a woman who was OK being friends with you after you disclosed everything about your current situation? Why would anyone want to.... I could go on & on about the warning signs I see with this lady. Sorry, but a decent woman worth spending time with would tell you to fix things with your wife and stop contacting her until you had either done that or you had finalized your divorce. Your failure to see these warning signs makes me think you have a lot of holes to fill and things to work out before you enter into a relationship.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but in the long run you will be happier if you take time by yourself to heal from the divorce and then choose women who don't take marriage so lightly or you'll end up hurt again.

Nev
Z
Z
The best you can do at this point is NOT TO DO ANYTHING until the divorce is totally final.

I met my current bf in similiar situation as yours.

You THINK you are ok but actually you are not. Eventually you will find out. The worst part is that you will hurt another person.

If you truly care for this person, then take time and go slow. Do not go intimate with her and do not promise her earth and heaven.

I am very sure you feel strongly for this person. I do not doubt it but at the same time...your issues due to this divorce will eventually pop up. Nothing can stop these issues except time. Only time will heal you.

My advice is go slow...dont tell her how you feel until 1 year after your divorce is thru...just be friends for now.

BS age 38 Sep 03 DDay 30 June 05 Divorce

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 783 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation