Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1908647 07/13/07 12:46 PM
N
NZJ Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I have some issues with my WH and his withdrawal. He has not had contact with the OW for about 5 weeks now. Why does it seem like he is getting worse? I know part of it is my anger and I have worked VERY hard on it this week. Part of his issue is drinking. I believe he has developed a pretty serious drinking problem. He has cut back substatially, but still when he does he becomes even more doom and gloom and poor me attitude. I don't know how to react positively or what to do when he gets this way. I don't want him to drink right now, and its just another issue for him to blame me for. I can't drink because of you attitude!!

About the withdrawal. I've heard it said that it can last up to 6 months. That really depresses me. Can it be quicker? Or am I fooling myself? I'm sure it all depends on him!!!! Like everything else!! For now he is either working in town or I am going with him on his business trips to the city where his A took place. He does not work w/the OW, but when I am there with him, it makes me crazy. But I don't know what else to do for the mean time. I can do this now b/c the kids are on summer break and they can go to grandma's, but he turns that around on me as well. Saying that he came back for the kids and I am shipping them off. Is this the right decision? I just feel like I am babysitting him!

NZJ #1908648 07/13/07 01:15 PM
M
M
NZJ, it sounds to me like you are babysitting him. It sounds like you are his mother. For example:
I don't want him to drink right now, and its just another issue for him to blame me for. I can't drink because of you attitude!!

What happens when he does drink? What is your response?

Are you using Marriage Builders principles in your marriage, ie: avoiding lovebusters and trying to meet each others needs? Is he an alcoholic?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

NZJ #1908649 07/13/07 01:15 PM
W
W
If I were you I would get the kids back pronto, and start doing some fun, summer, family activities.

And when I were not doing that I would be cooking fab meals, gardening, reading wonderful books and sharing my joy with my husband.

M
M
NZ, I just read your other thread and now I remember you now! Are you lovebusting him? Has Steve H spoken to you about lovebusters?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

NZJ #1908651 07/13/07 01:44 PM
W
W
I can do this now b/c the kids are on summer break and they can go to grandma's, but he turns that around on me as well. Saying that he came back for the kids and I am shipping them off. Is this the right decision?

This sounds like a love buster to me. Is this what SH suggested? So you could go with him for work?

I would think that harping on someones drinking would be a love buster, unless it is a boundary of yours because of alcoholism eg.will not live with him while he is drinking.

I could be wrong, but that is what I am getting.''

The reason I suggest bringing the kids back home is because it would take the focus off of your anger and put some happy, loving sounds and feelings back into the dynamic. Kids have a way of not allowing us to be depressed, as does family activities.

N
NZJ Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Melodylane

I do know what lovebusting is and i probably am doing it. I am just in so much pain right now. This is all pretty fresh. Is there anyway I can contact you privately. I am new at this and really don't know what I am doing. You just seem so knowlegeable!

NZJ #1908653 07/13/07 08:53 PM
M
M
NZ, email me at ohmelodylane@aol.com

Exposure 101

NZJ #1908654 07/13/07 10:32 PM
P
P
NZJ,

You do realize that change doesn't happen overnight. Yes, a lot of it will have to be initiated by your H (he has to recognize there is a problem, as well as want to help himself), but he can't do it alone. You will both have to work out a way or a combination of different things to help get him out of his funk...and make you stronger and more resilient so you can deal with this sitch better.

Hang in there, okay?

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 612 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation