I'm not sure they do for most. And I think it's deceptive to think that "no emotions are involved." Spitzer was desperately seeking a mood music CD for the hotel room. It was all about emotions. It was all about fantasy -- the fantasy that she was engaging in consensual sex, and wanted to be with him. He wsa trying to impress her.

If you read the website for the Emperor's Club, they talk about how the hookers have only a limited number of engagements a month, so that your appointment is "special" for the both of you. The whole thing is designed to make it emotional -- a cheap, purchased kind of fantasy emotion, admittedly, but an emotion nonetheless. Look at the magazines, the movies, the advertisements. That's what it all seems to be about nowadays. It's not just "them," it's everywhere.

"Casual sex" is a huge illusion, for the most part. Because our emotions are also attached to our genitals. Unless we become so desensitized and dissociated that it doesn't matter anymore -- unless we all become prostitutes, in fact.

Go back and look at some of the movies from the 1930s and 1940s. The dumpling shaped women with conservative hairdos and modest clothes to match their matronly figures are TEN YEARS YOUNGER THAN I AM, for the most part. Those are women in their 40s and 50s.

I'm not arguing about letting oneself go to seed -- but everything in our culture is so sexually driven that we are not allowed to grow old, let one's hair go gray, put on a few pounds after menopause (or the male equivalent). If we do, we give our spouses the perfect justification for dumping us for Kristen.

Read the blogs and the commentators. Watch how they talk about whether Mrs. Spitzer is "hot," in addition to her role as a high-powered corporate attorney and mother of three. Read what they say: if she's not "hot," he's "entitled" to seek sex elsewhere.

"Virtue -- even attempted virtue -- brings light; indulgence brings fog." -- C.S. Lewis