Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2040924 04/11/08 08:40 AM
C
c00per Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Below is the guideline written by administration.
If you are not sure your sig line is in compliance of the guideline please email any of the moderators with a copy of your sig line and we will discuss it with you individually.

Pay particular attention to this:

Signatures should NOT contain personal quotes, messages to or about other posters, your email address or links to other sites.

Thank you.

c00per

The signature line feature was added to the forums during the last major redo. This is the space available under your posts for your history.

It should contain a VERY brief summary of your "story"
Suggestions---

Who are you? BW, BH, (ages)
Length of marriage
Kids?
Status of marriage

You can access your signature line by going to My Home at the top of the forums.
Click on Personal Information EDIT

Add your signature (up to 100 characters)

Signatures should NOT contain personal quotes, messages to or about other posters, your email address or links to other sites. If your signature does contain any of these, please remove them. _________________________
JustUss

Administrator/Moderator

JustUss2@aol.com

_
_
Hi Cooper,

My sig line had links to my story and the Success Story thread pre-upgrade.

I went into my profile and tried to put a space between them so it wasn't so confusing when the hard returns were removed and then could not hit submit until I removed the links due to the 100 character limit.

Add your signature (up to 500 characters)

Is there a way that I/we could get 500 characters back for our sig lines? Or is that one of the upgrade features that is being worked on?

I was meaning to email you but I'll post this question as I've heard others bemoan this issue, too.

Thanks,
Ace

C
c00per Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Is there a way that I/we could get 500 characters back for our sig lines? Or is that one of the upgrade features that is being worked on?

I have no idea. Why not email administration (JustUss) and ask.
Your email address should not be in your sig line. That will free up space.

c00per

Last edited by c00per; 04/11/08 09:45 AM. Reason: added thought
Y
Y
Thanks, c00per,

Where is the BIO in the profile?

YIM

C
c00per Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by yepitsme
Thanks, c00per,

Where is the BIO in the profile?

YIM

This issue is being looked into.

Thank you.

c00per

C
C
Good grief! Sig line police! Frankly, there have been some really good things said in sig line quotes. I've been here 8 years or so and this really annoys me. You don't have to change this new policy just because I don't like it but I reserve to dislike it. And to say so.

Last edited by cinderella; 04/11/08 10:41 PM. Reason: to add further protestation
A
A
I would like to add my two cents to Cinderella’s.

What is the problem? Really, what is the true problem?

Siglines ought to be just about the absolute lowest priority item in the universe.

When implemented correctly siglines take up little extra memory (they are just links at the display level), they add no processing time and are nearly invisible to the server.

Enforce undesired external link policing all you want, but otherwise siglines are totally harmless no matter what they contain.

This policy makes no sense, really.

As little as I post anything these days, this bugs me.

"Never forget that your pain means nothing to a WS." ~Mulan

"An ethical man knows it is wrong to cheat on his wife. A moral man will not actually do it." ~ Ducky

WS: They are who they are.

When an eel lunges out
And it bites off your snout
Thats a moray ~DS
C
c00per Offline OP
OP Offline
C
As little as I post anything these days, this bugs me.

I understand your point of view. These rules were drawn up because some members used their sig lines to taunt or even harm other members. There were numerous complaints emailed to the mods. This practice had to be stopped. It is most unfortunate. I do understand why this bugs you.

c00per

L
L
As an aside....

IF you do not go into your SigLine, the 100 letter minimum does not apply. Your existing sigline continues until you try to change it.

LG

C
c00per Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Suggestion ARE welcome on this thread. If you have ideas how to change sig line rules PLEASE post them here. Remember the rules need to be applied across the board to all members with no built in favoritism or targeting toward any member.

c00per

Last edited by c00per; 04/12/08 12:34 PM.
C
C
What about re-allowing them if they are submitted for approval before appearing?

J
J
That seems like quite a lot of work for the mods, approving all those quotes every time someone wants to change their sig, and keeping up with whether or not it might be a dig at someone. They'd basically have to be current on all threads on all forums.

Plus, that seems even more like policing behavior than simply omitting it altogether. There would surely be times when someone's quote is allowed and someone else is offended, or when someone's quote is not allowed and they are offended.

me - 47 tired
H - 39 cool
married 2001
DS 8a think
DS 8b :crosseyedcrazy:
(Why is DS7b now a blockhead???)
(Ack! Now he's not even a blockhead, just a word! That's no fun!)
C
C
Whatever they choose to do is what they choose to do. Many sites will allow you to submit posts but they have to be approved before they ever appear. That seems like a lot more work to me. There could be limits on how often you can change it?

I seldom change my sig line. I bet I have fewer than 15 changes in the 7 or 8 years I've been here.

And I'm NOT changing mine now. I'd rather leave than be just like everyone else. crazy mad shocked

J
J
Well you can still be individual with 100 characters...

If each character has 26 possible values, that's, what, 26^100 different possible sigs? LOL That's not even counting punctuation.

JK, I understand what you're saying. I'm just trying to be funny.

I was confused for a minute by someone's sig today. I thought they were saying they had 32 kids! crazy (32 was the age.)

me - 47 tired
H - 39 cool
married 2001
DS 8a think
DS 8b :crosseyedcrazy:
(Why is DS7b now a blockhead???)
(Ack! Now he's not even a blockhead, just a word! That's no fun!)
C
c00per Offline OP
OP Offline
C
All these comments are very helpful. Thank you.

c00per

C
C
Take away my fun (ability to add wise OR funny sig lines), force me into some silly 'this and this only' sig line.....what's the use. I've weathered being blindsided by my x's desire for a divorce, finding out one of the EA OWs was my sister, the revelation of x's EA w/ woman at work (the secretary told me), narcissitic and passive-aggressive behavior by x, 2.5 years of separation and counseling, the accusations (false and surprising to me) that I was having an affair, the divorce, diagnoses of learning differences for both children and me, x's marriage to woman not involved in our divorce, suicidal teenage daughter, libel/slander of me to many people courtesy of my x, surviving and thriving w/ out him at home since 1995.

You want me to put that down in a couple of lines???

FORGET ABOUT IT!!!! I won't even try.

I'm not giving up my Elle Woods paraphrase to be just like everyone else.

I'd rather take my years of experience and vamoose.

Last edited by cinderella; 04/13/08 02:07 AM. Reason: to protest some more!!!
R
R
These rules were drawn up because some members used their sig lines to taunt or even harm other members.

A better idea would have been to deal with "some members" directly. You have "some members" email address, right? Also can ban "some members" MB Forum posting privileges too, correct?

Oh, and TOS were in place for "some members" when they registered at MB's.

I'm with you Princess! Yesh!

mad

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey
C
C
I am particularly incensed that, rather than deal w/ a few people, we are all being penalized and forced to conform to a highly-regimented, predetermined, autocratic, newly-implemented policy of which we were not informed before it was put in place.

I could understand taking away the opportunity for people to use personal quotes if they show themselves unwilling to use them respectfully. If you can edit posts, you can edit sig lines. If a member wishes to be disrespectful or hurtful, they can do that in their posts and it can be edited out.

But there is so much good stuff to be found in some of those quotes.

Just because one person can't behave, you don't have to punish 100.

C
c00per Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you for expressing your heartfelt views. We truly are grateful for your participation in this discussion about "the rules". Please be aware that the mods do not have the ability to change the rules.

Keep it coming.

c00per

A
A
Thank you for listening.

> I understand your point of view. These rules were drawn up because some members used their sig lines to taunt or even harm other members. There were numerous complaints emailed to the mods. This practice had to be stopped. It is most unfortunate.

How about a three strikes and you’re out rule? Or one strike, for that matter.

A poster putting something offensive or counter to terms of use has sigline edited. If it is repeated sigline content is reduced to say 50 chars max. A third offense and their sigline is disabled entirely (num chars = 0 or 1) until further notice.

Shouldn’t be any more time consuming than editing reported post contents.

> I do understand why this bugs you.

You do? Cool. I don’t understand why it bugs me. But for some reason it does. Perhaps it is as Cinderella writes – after all the bone crushing soul numbing experiences imposed by adultery a sigline is such a barely audible sigh of reemerging individuality. Individuality a BS is trying desperately to recover as much as the marriage, or a new life.

"Never forget that your pain means nothing to a WS." ~Mulan

"An ethical man knows it is wrong to cheat on his wife. A moral man will not actually do it." ~ Ducky

WS: They are who they are.

When an eel lunges out
And it bites off your snout
Thats a moray ~DS
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 324 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation