Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
M
M
I can speak from a males point of view that the thought of not living under the same roof as my daughter provides incredible motivation for me to forgive me WS and work on the marriage. Some would probably say that is selfish and it probably is but the 'system' is set up so that even though my W had an affair if I divorce her she will get custody and I will become a weekend dad. I think the 'system' is a big part of the problem. My W made a choice to go outside the M. Granted, we had issues in the M or we wouldn't be where we are but she is the one that decided to go outside the M. Our 'system' doesn't hold her accountable at all for that decision. So, I am left with the choice of divorcing her and basically losing a huge amount of my time spent with my daughter or sticking it out, working on the M so that I can be with my daughter on a full-time basis. Many will say this is the wrong decision but as long as we are working towards a healthy reconcillation in the process and not subjecting my daughter to an unhealthy household (as much as possible) then I see nothing wrong with this decision. If it wasn't for my daughter I would already be gone. It's not a copout....it's as real as it gets.....

Mindshare

C
C
No doubt about it. You're going to find success or failure (dependent on which you are looking for) in every senario.

If I had time I would give you a laundry list of concerns I had when srtuggling with "stay and work on the M" or "throw in the towel on the M".

There was no wrong answer.

I can only speculate, leaving would have been much easier on me.

If you stay and DO NOT work on the M, the kids will suffer.

No, I do not believe any of my three children would ever say "I'm glad mom and Dad divorced".

M
M
Why does the solution have to be to GET DIVORCED if there is marital discord? Wouldn't the more logical answer be to SOLVE THE DISCORD?

just trying to think outside of the box here.... whistle

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by TryingToLetItGo
Introvert, I'm just curious as to whether you found any of the many other posts helpful to your understanding of why some parents do stay together for the kids?

Yes, some were helpful. But, I guess it's really a subject that I'm not going to ever get completely cut and dry conclusion on. I think it was best summed up when someone (to lazy yo go back and look) said that unless people who say "I'm staying for the kids" actually had gone through this without kids....they themselves don't even really know if their reason for staying is true...given the fact that so many of us said "no way I'd deal with infidelity" and we are still here dealing with it. JMO

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth"

Henry David Thoreau
D
dkd Offline
D
Taking this on a tangent a little bit if I may...Is there such a thing as getting a divorce for the sake of the kids? My wife has told me several times that she doesn't want our kids to grow up with parents that fight all the time, it's better for them if we were divorced.

This really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but can anyone else see this line of thinking? I understand if the parents are unwilling to make changes or truly believe they are not at fault, then perhaps a divorce is better. But if both parties recognize there faults and agree that they need to be fixed, why is divorce better?

Me 38
Divorced 8/09
DS 10,6
DD 4
I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
introvert, actually studies show that children from bad, chaotic homes [excepting abuse, of course] do much better than children from BROKEN homes. It has long been known that children suffer psychological damage from divorce. If a home is bad, then the answer is to make it GOOD, not to get divorced.

Could you imagine being a child living in a broken home (feuding parents in the same home is still a broken home) and having the burden of thinking that "you" are the reason that the parents will not move on with their lives and be happy?

I would know that my parents loved me and put my best interest first. This is supposed to be a bad thing? :eek: Kids don't give a DAMN about their PARENTS "happiness;" they care about THEIR OWN HAPPINESS, which comes from having both of their parents in a secure home.

That's cool. I'd like to see the studies on it...I'll check it out online. I do however fail to see how parents feuding in the home would make the home secure, though. My friends from school are a prime example of that. I think that in a situation like theirs (and many other homes) causes more damage than a divorce or seperation would do.

Henry David Thoreau
M
M
Kids don't give a DAMN about their PARENTS "happiness;"

I disagree with this 100%. I have a 12 year old that would also say this is wrong. I KNOW that I would have been better off being raised by just my dad. There are quite a few situations where a child would be better being FROM a broken home than living IN a broken home.

M
M
Originally Posted by introvert
But, I guess it's really a subject that I'm not going to ever get completely cut and dry conclusion on. I think it was best summed up when someone (to lazy yo go back and look) said that unless people who say "I'm staying for the kids" actually had gone through this without kids....they themselves don't even really know if their reason for staying is true

huh? That makes no sense. Many people DO STAY and try to work it out because there are KIDS who might not have made that choice if there WEREN'T.

Why in the world would that reason "NOT BE TRUE??" Are you saying that staying for the children is not a LEGITIMATE reason and staying for my OWN PERSONAL HAPPINESS IS?

I hope that is not what you are saying.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by mindshare
I can speak from a males point of view that the thought of not living under the same roof as my daughter provides incredible motivation for me to forgive me WS and work on the marriage. Some would probably say that is selfish and it probably is but the 'system' is set up so that even though my W had an affair if I divorce her she will get custody and I will become a weekend dad. I think the 'system' is a big part of the problem. My W made a choice to go outside the M. Granted, we had issues in the M or we wouldn't be where we are but she is the one that decided to go outside the M. Our 'system' doesn't hold her accountable at all for that decision. So, I am left with the choice of divorcing her and basically losing a huge amount of my time spent with my daughter or sticking it out, working on the M so that I can be with my daughter on a full-time basis. Many will say this is the wrong decision but as long as we are working towards a healthy reconcillation in the process and not subjecting my daughter to an unhealthy household (as much as possible) then I see nothing wrong with this decision. If it wasn't for my daughter I would already be gone. It's not a copout....it's as real as it gets.....

Mindshare

Very honest answer...thank you.

Henry David Thoreau
C
C
Originally Posted by mel_vin
Taking this on a tangent a little bit if I may...Is there such a thing as getting a divorce for the sake of the kids? My wife has told me several times that she doesn't want our kids to grow up with parents that fight all the time, it's better for them if we were divorced.

This really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but can anyone else see this line of thinking? I understand if the parents are unwilling to make changes or truly believe they are not at fault, then perhaps a divorce is better. But if both parties recognize there faults and agree that they need to be fixed, why is divorce better?

There are situations D for the sake of the kids is true. Any type of abuse included.

But, I suspectmore often than not. That statement is a copout for "I'm not willing to do the work".

M
M
I think that in a situation like theirs (and many other homes) causes more damage than a divorce or seperation would do.

yep

I
OP Offline
I
Why does the solution have to be to GET DIVORCED if there is marital discord? Wouldn't the more logical answer be to SOLVE THE DISCORD?

Because, sometimes divorce is the only answer. Even Dr. Harley attests to that.

Henry David Thoreau
M
M
lol. I cannot believe what I just read. Are you for real? Do you really not see the true undertone of your posts? I don't need to be preached to, nor does anyone else. If you don't think that people should get divorced in the face of infidelity, because of children, then just say so...that's fine. But, your opinion on "God this...and God that", and saying that "people want Jesus Christ as their savour and not Lord" is just YOU doing the exact same thing that you are claiming I'm doing. Do you not see the hypocrisy of your statements? You are blaming me for drawing conclusions on misguided facts...but you are preaching religion...WHICH ISN'T FACT !!!!

You will have to excuse me if I get a little bit perturbed when someone uses religion as a crutch for every single subject, every single time.

In short...you have yet to state a fact. If you want to preach to me on not doing so...time for you to follow it up with some of your own. Otherwise, you are just the pot calling the kettle black.

FH preaching...never.

M
M
Originally Posted by medc
Kids don't give a DAMN about their PARENTS "happiness;"

I disagree with this 100%. I have a 12 year old that would also say this is wrong. I KNOW that I would have been better off being raised by just my dad. There are quite a few situations where a child would be better being FROM a broken home than living IN a broken home.

As a kid who is from a BROKEN HOME, i can tell you, and studies affirm this, that kids don't give a DAMN about their parents happiness. They are self centered by nature and are focused on THEIR OWN happiness. The fueding in my own family was a bother, sure, but when my parents divorced, everything CHANGED. I was a broken CHILD when that happened.

That being said, we are talking in generalities here about very subjective situations, and some homes are so destructive that divorce IS an improvement. It just depends on the situation.

Exposure 101

M
M

Because, sometimes divorce is the only answer. Even Dr. Harley attests to that.

And oftentimes, resolving the MARITAL DISCORD is the answer.

Exposure 101

M
M
Mel, what study shows kids don't care about their parents happiness? I have seen the broken home studies...but would love to read the study that somehow shows kids don't care about their parents happiness.

BTW...Hi.

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by mel_vin

I don't have kids and don't claim to be an expert...but, from past experiences with friends in this type of situation, Id say that parents do have the opportunity (as much as anyone else) to get divorced, move on with their lives, meet new people, and start "healthy" relationships. How could their children not benefit from their parents being in 2 healthy relationships over an unhealthy 1? Life doesn't stop after divorce.

You state that "if both parties recognize there faults and agree that they need to be fixed, why is divorce better?"...it wouldn't be better in this case, JMO. I wonder more about parents who don't recognize their faults, and don't try to fix things.

Last edited by introvert; 07/08/08 10:28 AM.

Henry David Thoreau
D
D
I used to say the same thing when I was younger. Now that I've grown, the understanding of what the promises we made years ago really mean is more clear. It may be easier to leave in the absence of kids but the meaning isn't any less. Two people made promises to each other which they failed to hold themselves to. Yes people change, we all know that. How many of us can say that if we had been armed with the same knowledge at 22 or 32 yrs old, would we be in the same situation we are now? I know for a fact I wouldn't be. Staying for the kids is admirable, but unwise unless improving the marriage is the goal. Any kind of emotional stress is unhealthy for kids but prolonged distress from an unhealthy marriage is just as bad or worse than a divorce, IMO. My WW used that statement to justify her staying with me for the last 5 yrs or so, fog? I don't know, I hope so. But if we save our marriage, her "staying for the kids" would be a factor in our staying married wouldn't it? That would make it worth it right? Just some food for thought. Staying married is different than saving a marriage.

FWH/BS (me)42, FBS/WW 39, married 18 yrs, WW A discovered 3/03/2008, my A discovered 06/2003
M
M
Originally Posted by medc
Mel, what study shows kids don't care about their parents happiness? I have seen the broken home studies...but would love to read the study that somehow shows kids don't care about their parents happiness.

BTW...Hi.

Hey there! laugh

I have never heard of a study that said kids don't care about their parents happiness. What psychologists have said is that children are, by nature, concerned with their OWN happiness and very self centered. Children do not have altrustic tendencies and tend to be self centered, not other centered.

Exposure 101

M
M
I agree...IF both parties are willing and able to fix the issues and thus have a happy home, children would be better off in an intact family. If not, they would be better off in a divorce situation. I lived it...my son lived it (and I know he is better off with his mom not being a constant disruption to our happy home) and I know lots of others that live it too.

That is not to say the ideal is not an intact and healthy family...make no mistake...it is.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation