Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by iam
Originally Posted by introvert
Originally Posted by iam
[quote=iam]Would you share with your child a sexual dysfunction between you and your wife?

With radical honesty in mind?

I'm assuming that I would not be trying to use the child to get over the sexual dysfunction.....so no.

So if you stayed with your wife because of the children, you would tell them of the sexual dysfunction? Keep in mind there is no adultery here, just a sexual dysfunction.

I said no...I'm not using the children as a means to get over my dysfunction...they would not be affected in any way shape or form because of my problem getting it up. It's apples and oranges.

Many have divorced over sexual dysfunction. If your spouse had a sexual dysfunction and you decided to stay 'for the kids' would you tell them? [/quote]

If I was using them as a reason to base my decision to try recover....then yes, I would.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth"

Henry David Thoreau
C
C
Originally Posted by C_N
Originally Posted by Tabby1
Originally Posted by iam
Would you share with your child a sexual dysfunction between you and your wife?

That is hardly the same thing. A broken or damaged marriage affects children directly and is their business as much as yours. Sexual dysfunction doesn't and isn't.

So sexual dysfunction couldn't cause one spouse to want to end a marriage? Just wondering . . .

lol...no offence, but you are really reaching on this one lol.

No offence taken, but it was a serious question. And it wasn't directed to you, but you certainly welcome to your opinion.

I think that perhaps sexual dysfunction could lead to one spouse not being particularly happy in a marriage, especially if SF was a very high need. But this is off topic.

Back to why children are a cop-out and shouldn't be considered when pondering reconciliation.

What we think or what we know or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do. ~ John Ruskin
I
iam Offline
I
Originally Posted by Krazy71
Originally Posted by iam
Would you share with your child a sexual dysfunction between you and your wife?

Easy there, Woody Allen! laugh

Radical honesty and kids have never gone together. That's why we have Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, the Stork, etc.

Radical honesty only belongs in marriage in my opinion. True radical honesty, if applied to every situation, would destroy our entire society.

Boss: "Why weren't you at work on Saturday?"

Employee: "Because I can barely tolerate being here for 40 hours a week. I didn't f_cking feel like it!"

That's exactly what I am attempting to argue with this example.

I hate Woody Allen.

I
iam Offline
I
People divorce because of sexual dysfunction. That's a fact.

If you would follow the example fully introvert I believe you cannot make the 'radical honesty' exclude you from telling your child based on your earlier comment about radical honesty.

Father to son " Son I'm staying married to mommy for you even though she can't have sex with me for medical reasons"

Not something a child should know.

T
T
I can understand sexual dysfunction as a step leading to other issues that could lead to divorce. But if there is a jack@$$ out there that would actually divorce for this reason alone, then the real reason for the divorce is that daddy is a jack@$$! Honestly, there are ways to achieve sexual fulfillment despite a variety of medical dysfunctions if that is a particularly important EN.

C
C
This is a point that I understand completely. I just don't see how the parents are going to fall in love and stay in love by the aide of a child. Will they always have the bond of the child together...of course. Will the child make them love each other enough to stay and recover into a healthy loving marriage?...this is what I question. If that were the case, then why the marital problems in the first place?
When I hear something like this, I am reminded of history. Until the last couple centuries, arranged marriages were more common than not. One did not always expect happiness in a marriage. One expected companionship, even friendship, and working together toward a common goal. Many times, they did grow to love one another as they spent enough time together to see the other person's strengths. But they did not commonly expect to walk away from that marriage just because they didn't get prince charming or Lady Godiva.

What's the difference today? Entitlement. This new phenomenon that we are entitled to happiness, like it's due to us, or something. Ask any manager of 20-somethings who they want to work for them, and they'll tell you anyone over the age of 30 to 40. Why? Because this generation has grown up with the notion that they are supposed to get what they want. That somehow, society owes it to them. That, if they don't get promoted within 2 years, they'll quit.

More and more, people are learning to abrogate their responsibilities and seek out their own happiness at the expense of others; and it's showing up in the marriages and the children, as people walk away from marriages that could have been saved, if the two weren't expecting so much for so little work.

I
iam Offline
I
I can understand sexual dysfunction as a step leading to other issues that could lead to divorce. But if there is a jack@$$ out there that would actually divorce for this reason alone, then the real reason for the divorce is that daddy is a jack@$$! Honestly, there are ways to achieve sexual fulfillment despite a variety of medical dysfunctions if that is a particularly important EN.

I don't disagree with you but it happens.

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by iam

If you would follow the example fully introvert I believe you cannot make the 'radical honesty' exclude you from telling your child based on your earlier comment about radical honesty.

Father to son " Son I'm staying married to mommy for you even though she can't have sex with me for medical reasons"

Although, I wouldn't word it the same way you did, I would tell the child. Not because of the reasoning of the sexual dysfunction, but becasue the child has a right to know that they are the reason for trying to recover. You keep trying to base this on sexual dysfunction...the reason for the marital problems is a moot point to the child...the child being used for recovery is not a moot point to them.

Henry David Thoreau
C
C

Sure, the H may be a jerk . . . but no more so than a wife that leaves her husband only because he refuses to work . . . or gambles all the money away . . . or doesn't bathe, or won't ever talk to her . . or is controlling . . . or . . .

People get to define what needs are important to them. To some SF is the be-all end-all. Others it is conversation or financial support.

What we think or what we know or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do. ~ John Ruskin
T
T
You keep trying to base this on sexual dysfunction...the reason for the marital problems is a moot point to the child...the child being used for recovery is not a moot point to them.

Actually the reason for the marital problems is critical to the child. Children tend to blame themselves. They need to know they are not responsible for what it happening to them. The only way to truly understand this is to know what exactly IS responsible for it.

As far as being "used" for recovery, I don't think that's actually how the dynamic works. A couple may attempt recovery BECAUSE of the children, but I don't see how they would USE the child to achieve recovery. Children do know their parents are together only because of them - whether you tell them or not. It's not an ideal situation but what broken/damaged home is? I agree with whoever said that it does demonstrate to them how important they are to their parents(think it was Melodylane but not sure). Even younger children will still wish their parents back together regardless of how bad family life was before the breakup. They will appreciate this.

T
T
Originally Posted by C_N

Sure, the H may be a jerk . . . but no more so than a wife that leaves her husband only because he refuses to work . . . or gambles all the money away . . . or doesn't bathe, or won't ever talk to her . . or is controlling . . . or . . .

People get to define what needs are important to them. To some SF is the be-all end-all. Others it is conversation or financial support.

I agree completely. But you wouldn't hesitate to tell your child you are leaving because of mom/dad's gambling or unemployment either and that was the point of discussion.

C
C
I believe it is referred to as Generation X, born between 1965 and 1980.

They are all about "me".

Next group coming up is even worse. Generation Y.

Born between 1980 and 1994. This group is the "why" group. Why can't I have everything I want at the expense of everyone BUT me?

I truly believe that if BOTH parents continue in the marriage for the sake of the children, they will make it work because they are working toward a common goal.

If only one of them stays for the children it is going to fall flat.

When only one parent behaves as they should and is "committed" to the marriage, it screams dysfuntion. The kids will surely pick up on this.

The woman that stays for the children, while her H drinks irresponsibly, is financially irresponsible, and whores around town, is giving the impression that these are normal things.

Daughters don't need to be a witness to this because they will choose these types of men for their own husbands.

Sons do not need to witness it because they will grow up thinking that is proper behavior for a man.

These kids will NEVER be marriage material for anyone else, and the cycle continues with them.

You can reverse it and talk of the man that stays for the children while his Wife behaves in that manner.

It isn't a question that can be answered in black and white.

committed

M
M
Sure, the H may be a jerk . . . but no more so than a wife that leaves her husband only because he refuses to work . . . or gambles all the money away

now this is the most ridiculous comment yet on this thread. Comparing a medical condition (and divorcing someone for that) to a bum or degenerate gambler is off the charts stupid.

I
iam Offline
I
Originally Posted by iam

Although, I wouldn't word it the same way you did, I would tell the child. Not because of the reasoning of the sexual dysfunction, but becasue the child has a right to know that they are the reason for trying to recover. You keep trying to base this on sexual dysfunction...the reason for the marital problems is a moot point to the child...the child being used for recovery is not a moot point to them.

I appreciate your honesty. As a father, I completely disagree with you. But, that's why there called opinions.

I disagree with the thought that they are being 'used'. They are a result of the marriage. They should be 'considered' when the marriage faces disolution. As medc said, children have this habit of taking blame. Putting them in that position is unfair and devoid of love.

I
iam Offline
I
Originally Posted by C_N

I agree completely. But you wouldn't hesitate to tell your child you are leaving because of mom/dad's gambling or unemployment either and that was the point of discussion.

No, the point of the discussion was radical honesty including children.

Edit - And a T/J at that. Sorry I brought that example.

Last edited by iam; 07/08/08 02:37 PM. Reason: addition
C
C
I disagree with the thought that they are being 'used'

Me too.

I don't think the use of word 'use' is appropriate either.

Unless, the WS "uses" the children as a way to guilt the BS into staying in a marriage where infidelity is running rampant.

They don't want to do their part...they just want someone else to do the heavy lifting..but it's all for the kids dontcha know.

committed

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by iam
Originally Posted by iam

I appreciate your honesty. As a father, I completely disagree with you. But, that's why there called opinions.

I disagree with the thought that they are being 'used'. They are a result of the marriage. They should be 'considered' when the marriage faces disolution. As medc said, children have this habit of taking blame. Putting them in that position is unfair and devoid of love.

I disagree with your assesment of what "devoid of love" to someone is.

Children more often than not know what is going on...more than adults like to think they do. It is very naive and irresponsible of an adult to think that they can be in an unhappy marriage and hide it from children. Like I've said before...children are not idiots...they know when their parents are not happy in marriage. And trying to dupe them, and hiding the fact of the matter is going to make them think they are responsible (and blame themselves) more than if you were honest with them...that is devoid of love....imho.

edit:

honesty is NEVER a bad policy...even with children. I don't have to be a parent to know this....I was a child once.

Last edited by introvert; 07/08/08 02:42 PM.

Henry David Thoreau
L
L
Introvert:

You waded into some deep water here.

When I read your (paraphased) quote about "Kids, Houses and dogs" I had the same reaction as some of the others.

I've buried three dogs in the backyard. I wouldn't be able to stand in the funeral home for my son.....

TWO totally different things.

To your original point: "Should you stay for your children?"

Whatever it takes to recover your M if it should be. If "staying for the children" works, then so be it. Each M is different and each recovey and reasons for it as well. But "staying for the children" is a very significant factor. But NOT the only one. Fake it till you make it, I say.

For example, Flamingo was going to stay until DS gradded from HS and then she was GONE. She even had plans to deliver the Plan D papers at the actual graduation. Why then? Because she felt that the hardest part of raising children was over. And having a somewhat stable, safe enviornment for her child until then was more important long term then subjecting our son to the drama/trauma of Divorce.

And like C_N states, I stayed because I DID want as much time as possible with my son. Was I shortchanging him as well, earlier in my M? Certainly. But I wanted as much time as possible, and staying in the M for my child was how I was going to get it.

Flamingo and I have a significantly better M now. My DS HAS A better home life now. He recognizes the differences in tone, manner and stress in the house.

As Mel stated, FIXING the DISCORD helped, not ending the M.

And about "sharing" with your children? If you had a child, you would never bring up a "sexual dysfuction" to your child.

Nor ever state to the children that you were staying together "because of them" Most children would internalize that to mean that there was something WRONG with them.

I'm here for my Son. I'm here for my W. But I would NEVER talk to my son about marital issues that had no relationship to him. I.E. a sexual dysfunction. I would however, discuss with him WHY we might be splitting up or divorcing. Or, if I was going to have surgery to "fix a sexual dysfuntion". That has a bearing on his life, and he needs to know in a age appropriate manner.

JMHO

LG

I
iam Offline
I
Originally Posted by iam
Originally Posted by iam

Children more often than not know what is going on...more than adults like to think they do. It is very naive and irresponsible of an adult to think that they can be in an unhappy marriage and hide it from children. Like I've said before...children are not idiots...they know when their parents are not happy in marriage. And trying to dupe them, and hiding the fact of the matter is going to make them think they are responsible (and blame themselves) more than if you were honest with them...that is devoid of love....imho.

edit:

honesty is NEVER a bad policy...even with children. I don't have to be a parent to know this....I was a child once.

Yes, honesty is best. But not radical honesty. My teens knew my wife and I were in trouble. They now know we are well into recovery. They know we see an counselor weekly. They will never know the details. They don't care to. All they care is that mom & dad are home together loving them and eachother.

And having been a child, with a childs mind, does not give you ANY insight to parenthood.

I have another very close to home example I could bring up but after the last one I'm hesitant.

T
T

edit:

I did not stay in an unhappy marriage for my child. I decided to do the hardest thing I have ever done and work to improve my marriage so that my child could live in an intact home with a happy mom and dad who love each other.

I would not advocate staying married for the kids and being miserable. I did not realize earlier that that was your line of thinking.

When I said my daughter was my motivation to stay married, I should have also said that she is my motivation every day to be the best wife and mom, so that my family can be whole and so that my whole family can be happy.

Staying together for the kids does not mean staying miserable and doing nothing to improve yourself and your marriage.

BW 38 (me)
FWH 42
Married 7 years
DD 6
SD 15
11-2006 H said he wanted a divorce and walked out
3-2007 I told H I wanted him back
3-2007 to 4-2007 D-day's
4-2007 H moved back in for good
Today-In recovery, but a long way to recovered
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (Blackhawk), 107 guests, and 137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Jmoor9090, Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker
71,841 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation