Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
a person with whom we are in 'a relationship' when we are no longer 25?

Let Me Call You Sweetheart, or Boyfriend, or Girlfriend, or WHAT?

So, you are not 25 any more....or 35....or 40.

And you have this person in your life.

If you were in your 20s, you might call them a boyfriend or girlfriend. But, like you, they have a few miles on them. And, it just seems weird to call them your (insert gender here)-friend.

WHAT do you call them?

E
E
Companion? Friend? Date?

I actually like sweetheart. Does that make me old fashioned?

S
S
Calling my girlfriend my "girlfriend" was weird for me too at first.

I got over it.

R
RMW Offline
R
Does using the term boyfriend or girlfriend have to be restricted by age? I can't see any reason for it. I'm 42 and those are the terms I use. Just because we "have a few miles" on us doesn't change our gender. It's just a matter of how long you've been used to calling someone a "wife" or "husband" and gotten out of touch with the other terminology.

I've been divorced for four years, but I guess I never really considered it weired to call someone a "boyfriend" -- I'm still young at heart.

Maybe I'm old fashioned too!? I really like the term sweetheart, especially when it's coming my way!!

Hope the terms like "sweetheart" and "baby" and the likes don't get ruled out as you get older (actually I know they don't, I've seen couples up in their 70's still using those terms). Life could get stale if we don't put "life" back into it!

C
OP Offline
C
I do refer to The Diplomat as my boyfriend most of the time - sometimes as my "sweetie". However, I usually introduce him by his name and don't define his role in my life when I actually introduce him to another person. I figure no one sees me with a man very often. And I would imagine our body language would make it obvious that we are not casual acquaintances.

W
W
interesting topic, which is similar to a woman who sits next to me at work. when she discusses her weekend with her friends at work, she refers to her husband as "my husband" instead of his real name. . .

why do people refer to their significant others by roles instead of names?

just curious. .. the person's role in your life versus their name. . . why??

wiftty

Learning from your own mistakes creates experience, learning from books creates knowledge, combining the two together creates wisdom => You start with a full bag of luck, and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
G
G
Well, I usually introduce people like this

"Suzy, I'd like you to meet my mother, Carol XXXXX"

"Mom, this is Suzy from work."

First, I always give names because otherwise, what's the point. Second, I do give the relationship if it's a close one. By pointing out the relationship, I show the other person my loyalties. If I had just introduce my sister as Quentin only, the person I introduced her to could come back to me later and say what a b*tch Quentin is. That would cause a lot of embarassment on both sides and some animosity on mine.

As far as significant others, sometimes a story requires you to share what the relationship is.

Divorced.
2 Girls
Remarried 10/11/08
Widowed 11/5/08
Remarrying 12/17/15
D
dkd Offline
D
I can't stand titles with negative connotations, like step son or ex-wife. I always refer to my step son as simply my son as he is the same to me as my biological children. As I get to know someone more and the situation comes up, I explain that he's not mine biologically.

My wife who wants to be ex-wife has said 'I love you as the father of my children' sometimes and also that she wants to be respected as 'the mother of my children', so I'm thinking about using those titles instead of ex.

When you use 'Step' and 'Ex' as titles, I think people automatically assume it's a strained relationship, so I'd rather avoid them if possible.

Me 38
Divorced 8/09
DS 10,6
DD 4
G
G
I always introduce my dad's wife as my dad's wife. She married my dad when I was out of college. Saying "step-mom" seems to imply we had a quasi-parent-child relationship.

Divorced.
2 Girls
Remarried 10/11/08
Widowed 11/5/08
Remarrying 12/17/15
I
I
When Mike & I dated, I introduced him to my close friends and family as my boyfriend Mike. When I bumped into people that were acquantances, I introduced him as my friend Mike.

Mike was introduced to my children after we had dated for a year. I would say after dating for 2 years, my children felt uncomfortable introducing Mike to their friends as "my Mom's boyfriend".

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 594 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation