Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#2116038 08/26/08 09:59 AM
P
OP Offline
P
This is first and foremost a MARRIAGE BUILDING SITE.

The goal of the owners of this site is to provide a forum where married couples, or soon to be married couples, can discuss and learn the basic principles that can turn a so-so marriage or even a terribly damaged marriage into a loving caring sanctuary for both spouses.

This site does not provide basic concepts for child-rearing, and the main focus of this site is not about children.

This site does provide a basic concepts for MARRIAGE BUILDING.

The Harley's strongly support a healthy loving marriage, in part because an intact functioning marriage IS the best environment in which to raise children.

Yes, there are other functional ways to raise children, but the other ways are NOT generally considered to be THE BEST environment parents can provide.

Let me repeat - an intact happy marriage is the most positive environment for raising children.

It is often stated by people who do not value marriage as much as the Harleys value marriage: "Children are resilient.".

Yes, some children are resilient, and some children are fragile.
Both types of children, the resilient and the fragile children, do best if raised in an intact 2 parent marriage.

If we claim to believe "children are resilient", does stating this belief provide adult parents an excuse to diminish the quality of life for their children in order to test their child's "resiliency".

If children are "resilient" - does this mean we can be a little careless? A lot careless? Does this mean it's "OK" if we fail to make our marriages work by our lack of knowledge, or our laziness, or our sinful selfishness?

And if the failure of a marriage hurts the no-so-resilient child, is the child at fault for not being "resilient enough" ?

Far too often adults will say "Children are resilient" just prior to making a child's life less safe and secure.

How thoughtless.

Let's assume small children are not so resilient. Let's assume small children will be harmed when a marriage fails and parents split apart. Let's assume small children need protection from adults who make bad decisions.

Here is how Dr Harley answered a member when she wrote to him and asked Dr. Harley about " OC contact".

Subj: Marriage Builders
Date: 2/18/2002 10:00:00 AM Eastern Standard Time
From: bharley@marriagebuilders.com (Willard F. Harley, Jr.)
To:

Debi,

The position I take on children born of an affair is that since
restoring a marriage requires an unfaithful spouse to never see or talk
to the lover, it's too risky for visitation. I've witnessed time and
time again where the visitation has triggered the affair all over
again. Besides, any contact with the former lover is usually a great
offense to the betrayed spouse.

My advice is to avoid contact with the child until he or she reaches
adulthood. Otherwise there is too much risk of your marriage coming to
a tragic end.

Best wish

There are many times in an adult's life we are faced with a 2 choice dilemma.

A 2 choice dilemma means-

NEITHER CHOICE is optimal.
This means one is left with the task of choosing the LEAST HARMFUL alternative.

Decide for yourself which is the least harmful choice - because every choice involves harm to someone.

If contact with OC/OW/OM is going to push your marriage closer to divorce - what's the value of that? And, who pays the price for that chaos and uncertainty?

Pep

Last edited by Pepperband; 08/26/08 10:28 AM.
P
OP Offline
P
How many times have we heard this?

"The OW/OM did not take vows with the betrayed spouse. The OW/OM broke no vows."

.... and then in the next sentence the betrayed spouse is asked to consider the wishes and feelings of the OW/OM ....

WHAT?

.... and then, the betrayed spouse is informed they have a "moral obligation" to do (insert desire of OW/OM).

Excuse me? .... Did I hear you correctly? Did you say "moral obligation"?

What happend to the famous "I did did not take vows with you" excuse?

"I did not take vows with you" is a one way street - in case no one noticed.

The OW/OM often uses this line - and then cries "moral obligation". :crosseyedcrazy:

P
OP Offline
P
In case anyone overlooked this detail:

adulthood.

Adulthood.
Age of consent.
Co-mingling of all the siblings when there is no OW/OM contact posing a danger/threat to the marriage.

With any luck - a good 40 years or more of an enjoyable and fulfilling relationship.

Pep

Last edited by Pepperband; 08/26/08 10:19 AM.
P
OP Offline
P
In the interest of MARRIAGE BUILDING

There are three parts to the way affairs should end. The first part is revealing the affair to one's spouse, the second part is never seeing or communicating with the lover again, and the third part is getting through symptoms of withdrawal after a permanent separation takes place.

F
F
AMEN! This should be a sticky at the top of this forum. hug

Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by faithful follower
AMEN! This should be a sticky at the top of this forum. hug

Let me tell you what comes next in the script where OW is telling the betrayed wife what she is "morally obligated" to do:

"The OC is innocent."

Yes - let's agree to absolve the all the innocent persons from the wrong decisions made by others.

The faithful spouses' children are innocent. Are they resilient enough to be thrown under the bus? The OP is the bus driver by the way.

Pep

S
S
Amen Pepperband! I am going to share what you posted with my WH!

BS
WH-(to old to know better)
COM- 2 DS (toddlers)
DDay- 4/28/08
OC- NC
H
H
Pepperband,
Since you are probably one of the best to give advice, I want ask you this.

H has 2 month old OC. He wants contact, says he can not abandon his child, and innocent baby.

Innocent baby? Yes, I agree.

My wish......NC with OW or OC.

If I insist this and give him an ultimatium, I believe my 18 year marriage with 2 COM will desolve.

What do I do? I don't think I want a divorce (but am not absolutely sure) If I give in and let OC be a part of our lives, I believe I will hold resentment always. I will be going against what I believe in. This is the hardest decision of my life.

I have moments where I think I can handle having OC in my life and possibly learning to love her. Then I have moments where I don't think I can bare the pain to have contact.

Moral dilema of a lifetime!

Me: BS-37
WH: 39
OC born 6/08
E
E
Ladies..

My heart goes out to both of you.. Shocked and Hurtmom.

There is an OC in my life. There is so much more than any script anyone will give you and each situation is unique. Until you have lived it.. it is virtually impossible to comprehend.

I hope it is not inappropriate to give you an email to contact me for information regarding this situation.. Marriage Builders is the very best resource out there for your relationship..but finding others who can listen and understand really does help ten-fold.

cordially1@hotmail.com

Blessings,

Eibrab

H
H
Eibrab,

I tried to e-mail you, but it was returned to me. I double checked the spelling twice. Could you have made a mistake, or do you have an alternate address that I could contact you with?

I would really like to talk to you. I need help from someone with experience. Thanks!

OC born 6/08
M
M
He wants contact, says he can not abandon his child, and innocent baby.

and nor should he abandon his child. If you accept him back and forgive him, realize a child comes with the package. INSIST on NC with the OW. That will mean a lot of tough work.

Now, IF the OW is married and the child can be raised with a father (the OW's BH) I would suggest your husband NOT try and develop a relationship with the child at this time. BUT, if the OW is NOT married, I think your husband SHOULD be involved in that child's life.

F
F
hurtmom, email me at killnme2004-mb@yahoo.com

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
F
F
medc, until you have walked a mile in our shoes I ask that you not tell newly BW's with an OC that they must allow contact. It is her choice if she wants OC in her life and it is her H's choice to choose the marriage or not. It is not an easy choice either way but the marriage and the COM must come first.

Hurtmom, you are so early in this. DNA must be established before you agree (or not) to contact with OC. DNA must be established before you agree to marital assets going to this child as well.

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
F
F
There is an OC in my life. There is so much more than any script anyone will give you and each situation is unique. Until you have lived it.. it is virtually impossible to comprehend
Yes, each situation is unique but you know as well as the rest of us that these OW all read from the very same script. Pep has given advice that needs to be taken to heart. OC or not, she knows what she is talking about.

Additionally if they do not get relationship advice, how will they save their marriages?

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
S
S
Hurtmomof2,

Again know that you do not have to choose C w/ OC if you feel it is not in the best interest of you , your COM and your relationship.

I would highly suggest that you not consider your H's needs right now. You need to concentrate on you and what is best for you. You need to discover your power and what you can live with or not live with. Unfortunately this means that you respect your H's wishes and sometimes that means that you and your H will separate but you need to be strong enough and read to handle either decision.

Please take some time out just to reflect upon your needs and talk with a counselor ( individuall) to discover you again and what is important to you.

I wish you the very best on this unfortunate road that we must travel.

BS
COM- 2 DS (toddlers)
DDay- 4/28/08
OC- NC
F
F
whatever you decide hurtmom, you MUST heal your marriage before considering C with OC. If your M is not strong it will not hold up under the stress of C. (((hurtmom)))

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
M
M
Originally Posted by faithful follower
medc, until you have walked a mile in our shoes I ask that you not tell newly BW's with an OC that they must allow contact. It is her choice if she wants OC in her life and it is her H's choice to choose the marriage or not. It is not an easy choice either way but the marriage and the COM must come first.

I am not at all interested in what you think I should/can post. I am not telling anyone what they MUST do...I am offering my opinion. If you don't like it, i am okay with that. Your opinion has value here...as does mine.

And save the "walk a mile in my shoes" stuff. Just because I never experienced something does not mean I cannot offer a valuable/intelligent opinion(even if it differs from your advice).

F
F
As you may know, medc, I highly respect you and the fact that you have custody of your son. I am simply asking you not to tell someone so fresh from this experience that they must allow the OC in their life.

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
L
L
Originally Posted by medc
[quote=faithful follower]And save the "walk a mile in my shoes" stuff. Just because I never experienced something does not mean I cannot offer a valuable/intelligent opinion(even if it differs from your advice).

Respectfully, it DOES make a difference. You can have your opinion and offer advice, but the vantage point makes a huge difference.

I don't think anyone can really imagine the additional horrors this situation causes a spouse and a family, until they are involved in it.

The idea that everyone involved (especially BW and COM) should bow down, and bend over, for the rights of the innocent OC is cruel and naive. Every person's happiness and well-being has to be considered in the decision and the best plan has to be laid on that foundation. No one doubts the innocence of the OC.

Just my opinion, though. Based on experience.

BW
DDay March 2004
OC born 8-04
NC
M
M
The idea that everyone involved (especially BW and COM) should bow down, and bend over, for the rights of the innocent OC is cruel and naive.

Did I say anything of the sort?

What I DID say is that IF (and this is certainly the BW's choice) she decides to take her FWH back that the OC might be part of that package. I say might, because as I said before, if the OC has a father at the ready (the OW's husband) I do not think he should attempt to have a relationship. If the child will be fatherless, I DO think that the FWH should have a relationship with that child and that it should be done in a manner that allows for NC.

I do not think that those that are involved in situations are always the best sources for information. Frequently they are less than objective and put their own ideas and feelings into a situation that really could benefit from a less subjective perspective.

This has NOTHING to do with the innocence of the OC...that is unquestioned. What it does have to do with are the responsibilities of a father to ALL of his children....not just the ones that the BW THINKS he should take care of. It is a fathers responsibility to make sure that ALL of his kids are cared for...and if that causes discomfort for a BW, while I understand her angst, it is a situation that will need to be dealt with.

Last edited by medc; 08/27/08 10:00 AM.
F
F
medc, I do want to apologize. I NEVER want to be one of those posters who tell others what and how to post. I hope you accept my apology.

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by hurtmomof2
Pepperband,

H has 2 month old OC. He wants contact, says he can not abandon his child, and innocent baby.

Innocent baby? Yes, I agree.

If I insist this and give him an ultimatium, I believe my 18 year marriage with 2 COM will desolve.

What do I do? I don't think I want a divorce (but am not absolutely sure) If I give in and let OC be a part of our lives, I believe I will hold resentment always. I will be going against what I believe in. This is the hardest decision of my life.

I have moments where I think I can handle having OC in my life and possibly learning to love her. Then I have moments where I don't think I can bare the pain to have contact.

Moral dilema of a lifetime!

Yes this is a dilemma of a lifetime.

And I personally hold the opinion that it is cruel and inhumane of your H to ask you to make this decision without DNA proof in your hand that this decision is really necessary!

This is why I have spoken to you like a broken record - get proof first then decide!

Your decision - based on your personal limits and your knowledge of yourself - should be made with full awareness of what exactly you'll be getting yourself AND your children into.

OW's can be like snakes - coiled and waiting, appearing to be asleep, but actually poised and ready for you to step unaware so they can strike and bite you.

The phrase "if I give in" is automatically a negative choice and a huge resentment for the future. Do not make any choice guaranteed to provide you a life time of resentment.

You cannot make your husband's choice for him.
He is free to make his own choices.
OW may pressure H to continue the affair by dangling a precious baby in front of him. This has happened to other BWs and you should never, and I mean NEVER, turn your back on OW if you stay married. There will be pressure put on you to relax your vigilance - but don't be a fool. OW is and will be a threat to your marriage for decades, if not the rest of her life.

I don't have an opinion of WHAT your choice should be.
I do have an opinion that you should not make YOUR personal choice until after you have proof.

If you decide to delay your decision - that's OK too - but delay your decision accepting and knowing that your H will be seeing OW/OC with or without your knowledge or permission.

Once a man has stated he will be part of the OC's life, they generally will do whatever they must do - including lying to their wife and screwing OW to make contact with OC happen.

If OW still has warm fuzzy feelings about your H - she will use OC as a wedge to seduce him. OW may decide that OC needs a sibling (it's happened before)

So my advice to you

1. decide after you have proof in your hand
2. decide without anyone else pushing their agenda on you

3. if you decide to stay married insist on the stipulation that your H calls the Harley Coaching #, their experience can assist how you draw the boundaries of this situation that keeps OW/Snake away from your husband

Your H and just about everyone else will try to serve you a guilt sandwich if you don't bend yourself into a pretzel making OC the number one priority in this situation - putting OC's needs before your needs, before the needs of your children, and before the needs of your marriage safety and security.

My prayers for you and your children -

Pep

F
F
No one doubts the innocence of the OC.
That is the truth. In addition most people don't know what it is like to deal with a crazy OW for the rest of their lives. Many of these women USE the OC for their own gain. This is far worse for the child then the father being NC. It IS sad. I wish all children had a stable family, but to force the COM to have a part time dad so the OC can have contact with dad is truly NOT right. Nobody wins in these situations.

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
M
M
you owe me no apology...but yes, accepted.

I understand your passion(and can feel your pain) about this. I am certain you understand my passion for children(I am sure that you know I feel that supersedes everything). That may result in a butting of heads on occasion, but I think i know you well enough to realize your intentions are good.

I respect you and your views...even when I do not agree with them.

F
F
Once a man has stated he will be part of the OC's life, they generally will do whatever they must do - including lying to their wife and screwing OW to make contact with OC happen.
My H is living proof of this, hurtmom. Pep knows what she is talking about. My H refused to get DNA cuz it would have cut off his supply of sex with the OW. He allowed her to write a ridiculous "custody and visitation" agreement and SIGNED it to shut her up so she would not cut off his supply of sex. You get the picture?

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
P
OP Offline
P
and a reminder ....

The goal of the owners of this site is to provide a forum where married couples, or soon to be married couples, can discuss and learn the basic principles that can turn a so-so marriage or even a terribly damaged marriage into a loving caring sanctuary for both spouses.

Use this site to help repair your marriage - IF that is your choice.

You may want to call Harleys for an appointment yourself, without your husband. Ask them what are the chances your marriage will fully recover, should you "give in to".

THIS: ~~~> "give in to" is a very very bad idea.

Pep

F
F
I respect you and your views...even when I do not agree with them.
The feeling is mutual. Thank you.

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
M
M

LMAO. Where in the world have you come up with this?

Last edited by medc; 08/27/08 10:19 AM.
M
M
And while this is a MARRIAGE BUILDING SITE it is NOT a marriage at all costs site.

It is possible to build your marriage and still take care of ALL of your children.

P
P
medc,,,,,, you seem to have a unigue style of playing symantics. I have to agree with FF here that you did tell this lady what she "should" do. so you didn't use the word "must".

that being said maybe suggesting such actions with a little more care in word choice could work better. neither do i care what anyones opinion is on a site such as this. i do respect all opinions though. but i am more concerned with how they are stated. we can be honest and still state it with empathy.

I do however agree with your statement

""""""Just because I never experienced something does not mean I cannot offer a valuable/intelligent opinion"""""""""

there are a great many male drs delivering babies who have never experienced the act of giving birth but in fact have a great deal of knowledge on the subject.

HURT,,,,, you seem to be between a rock and a hard place with trying to decide which way is best for you. i understand both views on the subject of C vs NC.

I do believe that you need to be less considerate of your h's position and worry more about what YOU need at this early stage.

for a h/father who wants to be active in all his C's lives. does he understand that choosing C with oc could in fact separate him from his COM should YOU decide you can not deal with him having C?

being a bh whose om has visitation and pays cs i can give you the opinion from ow h should she be married (i don't know).

i felt at the time that visitation and cs were the way to go. both morally and om's responsibility wise. and in those ways i still do. BUT and this is a big BUT. now that i am down the road 7 odd yrs i have come to the realization that from MY standpoint i wish he had nc with us.

this is not because of any fear of the A starting or om making waves in my M. it is from my own (selfish maybe) position that i miss oc when she is away. my house just has an empty void n it.

so here is a suggestions and it is just that. you can give it some thought or just s#!t can it. your choice. and please people don't start on me with the using the oc garbage.

if you and your h cannot come to terms about nc vs c and you still want to give your M a try. maybe since this oc is still so young your h will consider a period of say 1 year without c or very limited c.

that would give you 2 a chance to rebuild your relationship without the drama of ow/oc presence.

then you and h can reevaluate where you both are and move on from there. also since oc is still so young he/she will be able to begin and have a meaningful relationship without any in my life out of my life hangups.

with my oldest son i wasn't allowed to see him until he was almost 2 yo and we have an excellent relationship. the same is true with our oc. om didn't meet her until about 20 months and she has adjusted just fine.

anyhow just a thought.

take care of yourself

Last edited by pops; 08/27/08 10:25 AM.

me-59 ww-55
married 1979 - together since 1974
6 kids together 15,19,21,23,29,30
my oldest son 37
d-day (confession day) memorial day 2001
oc born 12/20/01
now 8 grandchildren
M
M
medc,,,,,, you seem to have a unigue style of playing symantics. I have to agree with FF here that you did tell this lady what she "should" do. so you didn't use the word "must".

there are NO semantics..I can suggest to someone what I think they SHOULD do...I cannot tell them what they MUST do.

Perhaps a bit more care in reading what I actually wrote is on order.

M
M
I think your husband SHOULD be involved in that child's life.

P
OP Offline
P
John Edwards has lied to and continues to lie to his dying wife and to his older children and Edwards lies to the public/media in order to see OC while he probably continues to screw OW.

Once a man says they want contact with OC - they are willing to risk putting other family members under the bus to make contact happen.

These things will not stop a man from secretly seeing OW/OC once he has made up his mind:

wife's cancer
wife's pain
children's pain
public opinion
religious beliefs

Pep

P
OP Offline
P
1. decide after you have proof in your hand

2. decide without anyone else pushing their agenda on you

3. if you decide to stay married insist on the stipulation that your H calls the Harley Coaching #, their experience can assist how you draw the boundaries of this situation that keeps OW/Snake away from your husband

M
M
Those things did not stop THAT man from doing it. Assuming that men generally (as a rule) would do this is based on what???

I think as a rule, women are backstabbing cheaters that should never be allowed out the front door.

I base this on Madonna cheating with A-rod and even bringing her children along for the ride.

As a rule, men are just as noble and able to maintain appropriate boundaries as women. As a rule, men have a genuine concern for ALL of their children and will act with character while trying to maintain a relationship with them. As a rule, women that are afforded custody do not require sex for a man to be able to see his child.

P
OP Offline
P
Pepperband,

My point is - you cannot insist on NC.
You don't control H.

Your choice is as follows:

1. accept OC
2. divorce

BOTHCHOICESSUCKBIGTIME

but, it is what it is

if your husband says or has said "I will be in this child's life." - BELIEVE HIM !

He's telling you the truth.
He WILL be in OC's life no matter what your wishes are.

it is what it is

THE FIRST STEP IS TO ACCEPT THE TRUTH

the truth is that your needs/desires/wishes/pains/hurts/bleeding ulcers/cancer/mental breakdown DO NOT MATTER - your H will STILL SEE OC - even if it means behind your back dishonestly

Pep

M
M
Your choice is as follows:

1. accept OC
2. divorce

BOTHCHOICESSUCKBIGTIME

agreed

P
OP Offline
P
If you decide on your own without pressure from anyone else's agenda that YOU cannot tolerate OC in your life .... then your husband's choice is as follows:

1. NC with OC until OC is 18
2. divorce

once again

BOTHCHOICESSUCKBIGTIME

it is NOT morally wrong for you to decide what your own limits are

it is irresponsible for you to make a decision without proof first
(for example; it is irresponsible of your husband to assume he is the bio dad without proof)

Pep

M
M
Originally Posted by Pepperband
If you decide on your own without pressure from anyone else's agenda that YOU cannot tolerate OC in your life .... then your husband's choice is as follows:

1. NC with OC until OC is 18
2. divorce

once again

BOTHCHOICESSUCKBIGTIME

it is NOT morally wrong for you to decide what your own limits are

it is irresponsible for you to make a decision without proof first
(for example; it is irresponsible of your husband to assume he is the bio dad without proof)

Pep

agree again. only base this on your own agenda...not mine...or anyone elses. decide what is right for you...and your husband can do the same.

P
OP Offline
P
IF you decide to tolerate OC (once you have DNA proof) and you decide to try and make your marriage work for both of you, I strongly urge you to contact Harley's for guidance

LINK

P
OP Offline
P
Pepperband,

Hurtmomof2-

Thank you for asking me for my opinion.
Now I think it is time you call a professional and seek their guidance.
hug

We offer opinions on the discussion forums - the Harleys are marriage coaching professionals and can show you a roadmap back to a happy and safe marriage should you choose to remain married.

Pep

H
H
Medc,

How am I supposed to enforce NC with OW? She is single. How would he be able to pick up the OC without having C with her?

OC born 6/08
M
M
It can be done. Use an intermediary to pick up the child. I have worked this out in my own life with parents that are entitled to see foster kids...but that I do not wish to see them based on their behavior.

An intermediary would be your best bet.

DNA is very important too.

H
H
Pep,

H and I do have appt. with MC in 2 weeks. His idea. His job transfer came through and he will be moving home permanently this weekend. We were not separated, he was working out of town during the week and coming home on the weekends.

Told him there was no way to recover from this long distance.

OW is local to my area.

OC born 6/08
P
OP Offline
P
Medc,

How am I supposed to enforce NC with OW? She is single. How would he be able to pick up the OC without having C with her?

This is exactly why you should not trust snakes!

YOU or a trusted intermediary (court assigned) would be the one to pick up/drop off OC for court ordered visitation.

This all needs to be done legally - which is why DNA proof is necessary.

Pep

H
H
There really is no one to be the go-between. I suppose I can insist that my oldest child (daughter-16) go with him when he picks up OC, that way I can be assured that nothing will happen between them. Having just wrote that makes me sick to my stomach, the fact that I distrust him so much. mad

OC born 6/08
P
OP Offline
P
There really is no one to be the go-between. I suppose I can insist that my oldest child (daughter-16) go with him when he picks up OC, that way I can be assured that nothing will happen between them. Having just wrote that makes me sick to my stomach, the fact that I distrust him so much. mad

court ordered intermediary - like a social worker

NOT your daughter

NEVER should your daughter be asked to clean up after and take responsibility for her father's adultery

NO!

M
M
you can hire an intermediary. Sort of like a baby sitter/child care person that receives compensation for their work. That is how it is worked out through our county.

Trust me, should you decide to do this...there is a way to work out these details.

P
OP Offline
P
the fact that I distrust him so much

he has harmed you and your children and cannot be trusted to stop harming you and your children - not yet and not for awhile

he's still blind to the actual depth of your pain and to the extent of harm he's done to your children and the depth of harm he's done to OC

he will ask you to endure more pain and suffering and cloak it as your moral obligation
mad

get DNA

H
H
H will do what he wants, I can't force him to do anything. He will not get a DNA test, he insists the OC is his. I do not agree that waiting until OC is 18 to start a relationship is the best thing.

You're either going to have C or have NC. It's not rocket science.
What guarantee is there that OC would even want a Relatioship with a father she has not seen until she is an adult?

A million things could happen in 18 years. OW could get married have more children with new H. OC will be loyal to that family if that's all they ever knew.

I also don't agree that every person who has OC is going to use Oc as a way to have sex with OW. Consenting adults.......if they're going to do it, they will, OC need not be a factor in that equasion.

OC born 6/08
M
M
I personally would insist on a DNA test if I were the BS. That would be a deal breaker for me.

You need to set the boundaries that are important to you.

H
H
Just so no one gets the wrong idea. I was not saying this just to pep, but to everyone who responded to me. I don't want it to seem like I was singleing her out.

OC born 6/08
T
T
Have you scheduled the DNA test?

S
S
Wow I missed a lot since this morning...

Any hurtmomoof2 ...

You are receveing some good advice and some not so good advice from some folks ...after reading the thread... I strongly suggest you take some time out think to think about your wants and needs and not what you husbands needs are. You have some big decisions to make.

And by the way the following poster is right when they said that H was telling you the truth about wanting C with OC. You can't ignore that fact and you now need to decide what you are going to do but you should have DNA test first...

1. Integrate OC in your life and allow C
2. Divorce because you believe C w/ OC is not for you.3.

Just remember none of these choices are optimal but for you to know what is best for you need to step back , breathe and discover what your wants and needs are and do what is best for you. Please discover your power/ your inner strenght.

I also want to share something else with you when you are contemplating your decisions and may be good to discuss with your H and kind of piggybacks off of Pepperbands info about this being a marriage building site. I added this excerpt to it before sharing it with my H to put the OW and OC in perspective..

Quote:

I do not know about you… but the last time I checked it takes two to have an A and two to make a baby and it is wrong especially in this day and age when people choose to have an A, to have an A w/someone who is married and furthermore to have an A with someone who is married and has children and then get pregnant on top of that. Especially when women now hold more power and control over their reproductive choices then men, and when a pregnancy can be prevented and or taken care of. Don’t get me wrong men are to be held accountable as well for not protecting their W‘s and COM’s but in our society today women alone hold most of power when it comes to choices such as these. The OW knows this and will use the power of seduction to get what she wants.

This is also a classic tactic in how an OW tries to keep, trap, use guilt by a means of moral obligation and make it very difficult for the BS to forgive the WH so he will return to the OW. The OW is trying to seal her fate because they feel the WH/WW owes them. It is like saying…

“I got you now and I am not letting go of you without a fight. If I lose I will destroy everything you value more than me and if I do not destroy it I will make you pay for not choosing me by making your life difficult and full of regret!”

WH’s need to realize that this a NONVERBAL FIGHT and that the OW views this as a win- win situation and views the WH in a win- lose situation and the BS in a lose-lose situation.. The OW lets the outcomes speak for themselves while patiently waiting, going on with life like WH does not matter, playing nice, being understanding, coming across as being rational and cooperative and occasionally taking jabs at the BS via disrespectful comment/judgments and trying very hard to be the total opposite of the picture painted of the BS by the WH when they were pursuing their A. Remember you went to the OW/OP because they were someone you could talk to, was understanding and was very accommodating of your emotional needs. The OW/OP knows this will try to continue to be this way. Easy going!

The OW will remain quiet, will not expose the WH and will keep his secrets, and whatever else she convinces/manipulates the WH into doing by using his guilt over MORAL OBLIGATION to the OC and the BS and COM (if any) against him. She will also make it known to WH that she does not want the OC around the BS. A tactic displayed by the OW that keeps the WH in a position where they cannot mingle the two worlds without difficulty, which also puts him in a compromising position with the OW and the BS which encourages the WH to maintain the secret second life which creates more deception and feelings of betrayal for the BS. The OW is letting the naive WH dig a bigger hole for themselves to get out of and pretty much destroying all chances of recovery with the BS. The WH’s pretty much unknowingly just HANG THEMSELVES.

The OW will also, if the opportunity arises, create more doubt in the mind of the BS if discovered and confronted. Remember the BS is in the way and has always been the barrier to getting WH and the OW wants to and has always wanted to take the BS’s place. Her ultimate goal is to have WH as her H and be the W and raise the OC together. If the OW /OP cannot have that then no one will. To further illustrate this point …Did your OW/OP start planning a life with you and offered to help with your transition if and when you decided to leave your W and COM (if any)? Was the OW/OP willing to accept your COM (if any) in her life? Most of the time this will also ring true … The OW/OP’s do not want the OC around the BS. I find this interesting and so should you. Did your OW/OP disclose this need to you?

Also realize that the OC is being used for OW’s personal gain and make no mistake about it. It is a selfish tactic that is being applied at the OC’s expense. The OW would not intentionally or blatantly do this because it would make her look bad as a mother and she must come across as being protective and loving of the OC because the OC is a part of the WH, the man she loves and has always wanted and deep down still wants. WH ‘s have a hard time understanding or believing this concept but they need to know that it does happen and it is happening and it happens just under the radar. WH’s need to realize they should not underestimate the power of a woman with low moral values. They are usually seductive, quietly manipulative and quietly vindictive and will use these characteristics to their advantage if necessary.

Due to this you should take heed to this quote from Dr. Harley…

__________________________________________________________________________________
Quote:
adulthood.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Which means…Adulthood. Age of consent. Co-mingling of all the siblings when there is no OW/OM contact posing a danger/threat to the marriage.

With any luck - a good 20 or more years will pass where you will have a real opportunity to rebuild your marriage and enjoy a fulfilling relationship without distractions.

__________________________________________________________________________________
Quote:
There are three parts to the way affairs should end. The first part is revealing the affair to one's spouse, the second part is never seeing or communicating with the lover again, and the third part is getting through symptoms of withdrawal after a permanent separation takes place.
Let me tell you what comes next in the script where OW is telling the betrayed wife what she is "morally obligated" to do:

"The OC is innocent."

Yes - let's agree to absolve all the innocent persons from the wrong decisions made by others.

The faithful spouse and the faithful spouses' children are also innocent. Are they resilient enough to be thrown under the bus? The OP/OW is the bus driver by the way.

Something to think about…

End quote

BS
COM- 2 DS (toddlers)
DDay- 4/28/08
OC- NC
H
H
No............he will not take one. insists baby is his. Besides, who's going to pay for that? H has extremely good job.

But for the past 8 months, we have been keeping up two households due to him working out of town. Very expensive!

My mortgage alone is $3200.00 plus a $400.00 Home Owner's Association fee. I have a lot of expenses. Yes, we may have money, but it's not like you think.......the more you have, the bigger the bills etc...

OC born 6/08
F
F
No............he will not take one. insists baby is his. Besides, who's going to pay for that? H has extremely good job.

But for the past 8 months, we have been keeping up two households due to him working out of town. Very expensive!

My mortgage alone is $3200.00 plus a $400.00 Home Owner's Association fee. I have a lot of expenses. Yes, we may have money, but it's not like you think.......the more you have, the bigger the bills etc...
18 years of child support and courtroom drama will cost far more than a DNA test. Here is the thing hurtmom, it is up to YOU to choose if you want to stay with your H and accept OC without DNA. Others have done it, however you will never know for certain and you will be legally obligated for life (your H will). You can have your own boundaries, that gives you your own power here.

Example,

"husband, I want to work on our M. I am willing to consider C with OC (with NO OW in picture) if you will get legal paternity done and get visitation/cs set up legally. I love our home and our family and want to PROTECT them. We need you to protect our family."

or "husband, I cannot accept this OC in my life. I love you and want our marriage but I cannot at this moment see myself being able to accept this child"

This puts the ball into his court to do what he needs or you have your chance to walk away. I KNOW this is not easy. I KNOW that many of us have moved our boundaries, only to suffer even more at the hands of the OW, H and even the courts. It really stinks all the way around.

Last edited by faithful follower; 08/27/08 01:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
P
P
the only difference between the guy making 200k and the one making 30k is the number of zeros at the end of his debts

me-59 ww-55
my oldest son 37
oc born 12/20/01
now 8 grandchildren
H
H
If (and that's a big IF) I decide to have C with OC, H is going to tell OW that I will be involved in the child's life. If she says she doesn't want that, then I will go with H on any visits he has with OC, whether in public or OW home. I will have no problem confronting her. When it comes to situations where a confrontation might take place, I have never been weak. I am not a violent or angry person, but I have always been able to stick up for myself, in a mature and adult manor. Without screaming and swearing, and never any physical violence. Besides pounding on H chest in an emotional breakdown,the last time I hit anyone was in a fight in 8th grade.

I have no intention of letting this woman ruin what I have built over the past 18 years. Two beautiful smart children who go to a very good catholic school that H and I chose, a nice home, solid long term relationships with family and friends, active in my church. Family memories of vacations and such.

All my previous posts were of an emotional nature and being frightened of what is to come. Not that I am still not concerned, however this is preety much how I operate. At first I get very emotional, sad, depressed, crying. When I finally pull myself together, I can be very strong. I am starting to feel that way right now. I will not allow this woman to destroy (or try to)or hurt anyone in my family. I am stronger and wiser than her. She is a big drinker. I know this for a FACT, and I also know for a fact that she has had relationships with women.

I've even seen a picture of her, and not to sound vain or conceited, I am 100 times prettier than her, and H even agreed with that (what else would he say? LOL :))I am finding this board quite comforting. I also like very much how mature all the people here are. We can disagree on a subject and voice our opinions freely, without the worry that we will be flamed or ganged up on. I have gotten so much good advice. I need to step back, take it all in, and then I am going to make my gameplan.

With God's help, I truly believe I will suceed.

OC born 6/08
F
F
With God's help, I truly believe I will suceed.
Amen! God's blessings on you, hurtmom.

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
H
H
Pops,
Totally agree smile I even said, the more you make, the bigger the bills. I am very lucky to live a good lifestyle and be able to stay home with my children. Even though I am very angry with H right now, he has worked EXTREMELY hard to get to where he is at today. He has been a wonderful provider for our family, and I do have to admit a good, attentive father to my children. A good husband? Yes. but not any longer. He is going to have to do some very hard work to regain my trust.

Last edited by hurtmomof2; 08/27/08 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling

OC born 6/08
H
H
How do I add a signature to my posts? Like me-BS etc.

OC born 6/08
L
L
Go unde the "My Stuff" tab and select My Profile. You can type in your signature info there.

Just FYI, after over 4 years on various affair OC/OW boards, I have seen only 1 in hundreds of OW who did NOT use OC as a pawn in the situation in one way or another, not just sex.

Particularly when they realize they are not going to come out with the father at the end of the day as her H. The gloves come off and the games begin. Generally, these games and the using of OC as a pawn for power and control, do not have OC's interests at heart. Just OW getting her vengence.

It is a fact.

Even with court ordered visitation, even with all the documentation in the world, they still create drama and try to mess up the marriage.

Watch for it. Plan for it and be a united force with your H, should you choose contact. It will come. You can overcome her drama and efforts to drive a wedge between you and your H if you work together and have complete honesty and agreement on how you are handling OW.

It can be done and has been by many BW's. But it is hard. Most BW's who are willing to go through this genuinely love OC and feel that the pain of dealing with OW is worth the love of OC. They are truly wonderful women who DO have OC's best interests in their hearts. God bless them.

BW
DDay March 2004
OC born 8-04
NC
H
H
Thanks! Got it.

OC born 6/08
M
M
H will do what he wants, I can't force him to do anything. He will not get a DNA test, he insists the OC is his. I do not agree that waiting until OC is 18 to start a relationship is the best thing.

You're either going to have C or have NC. It's not rocket science.
What guarantee is there that OC would even want a Relatioship with a father she has not seen until she is an adult?

A million things could happen in 18 years. OW could get married have more children with new H. OC will be loyal to that family if that's all they ever knew.

I also don't agree that every person who has OC is going to use Oc as a way to have sex with OW. Consenting adults.......if they're going to do it, they will, OC need not be a factor in that equasion.

As a fow I liked to chime in on this is you don't mind. I have not read your whole story but a few posts here and another thread. Although I do believe in the MB principles as a mother of an oc I do not agree and everyone knows here how I feel about this with NC for oc. With that said I also know there are circumstances where it has to be that way. My oc has NC with her bio father and she is 4 and it's just the way it is.

By the dates I see it's still fairly new with you and I don't blame you for having the fears you have. I hear alot say here that the Bw should not be the one to make the compromises and by having contact she is.......well maybe but not all of them. If the ow wants the father to have contact and he is staying with his wife and kids she DOES have to accept that YOU as his wife and your children will be in that Oc's life.....end of story.

If you go to court the judge is NOT going to say Oh poor ow you don't have to face this and your end of it and not have let your child be with his fathers family unless of course your on probation for sex acts or something simular.

If you can't handle the pick ups and drops off I agree with the others hire someone to do that.

I also strongly agree to have a DNA test and have everything go through the courts. Even if you agree on it all through an attorney then have it filed through the courts. It truely is for your protection and even this child's protection. A DNA test will not only protect you and yours but the child as well too. With a Dna test this woman can never come back and say well MM you really are not the father even though you've acted like it for 10 years and gave me $ nor can he get stuck with later court order paying back child support for years when he's been paying child support.

I'm not hear to judge if you have c or NC. I have my opinions on it and have my reasons for them.......

BTW......I knew I was only with my xmm and I had NO problems taking a Dna test. Well maybe 30 seconds I was mad, but then common sense took over.

The fact of the matter is you are married to your husband and you have a right to be in Oc's life as well and OW can not say you can or can not be apart of it. The ow has to make sacrafices and be put out as well as she helped make this bed with your husband.

did your husband sign a AOP when the oc was born? That makes it a bit more stickier but can still request a dna test. I've seen it done.

Pep........I'm sorry I have to disagree with you on something. I am a single mother and my kids are my first priority......my divorce from my husband was actually best for my children. If you don't have both partners in a marriage working to make the marriage work it's not always best for your children. It can do more harm to them. As much as I would have loved to been married to my xh till death do us part I was not willing to be married and alone in the marriage. Alot of circumstances surrounded by children also have alot to do with how we as there as there parents handle them and handle the kids with them. Two parents are great but not every child who is raised by ONE parent is going to be unable to cope with the aftermath of divorce and be the a great adult and function in a normal relationship when they grow up as an adult. I just hate for it to be stereotyped as a single mother with young children. If we as adults react a certain way then I know our children will follow wheather that is postive or negitive. JMHO from my very own experience.

K
K
Originally Posted by marysway
Pep........I'm sorry I have to disagree with you on something. I am a single mother and my kids are my first priority......my divorce from my husband was actually best for my children. If you don't have both partners in a marriage working to make the marriage work it's not always best for your children. It can do more harm to them. As much as I would have loved to been married to my xh till death do us part I was not willing to be married and alone in the marriage. Alot of circumstances surrounded by children also have alot to do with how we as there as there parents handle them and handle the kids with them. Two parents are great but not every child who is raised by ONE parent is going to be unable to cope with the aftermath of divorce and be the a great adult and function in a normal relationship when they grow up as an adult. I just hate for it to be stereotyped as a single mother with young children. If we as adults react a certain way then I know our children will follow wheather that is postive or negitive. JMHO from my very own experience.

Mary - if your divorce was best for your children, you are an exception, not a rule. As a child, I wanted my mother to get a divorce. I wanted to be away from my father - the man who raised me. I remember wishing that I could find out that someone else was my father. How my mother kept a straight face thru that, I don't know... (remember, Mom thinks OM is my bio-dad).

Now I see the chaos that would have resulted. I got a chance to ponder on the man I would marry and have children with. I got to be mindful that this is a ONE TIME choice. Your children won't be raised with that gift and for that, I'm very sad for them. They also won't have the gift of living with a mother and a father.

See, this is the #1 reason that I am SO opposed to gay marriage. Children NEED BOTH a mother and a father, not two of one and none of the other... They need to see how to work together, to resolve difficulties together and to celebrate their differences rather than leave because of them...

Single moms so often don't have a choice. They have my admiration and gratitude for toughing it out when abandoned by an immature father. They provide as best they can. Single fathers too, so often don't have a choice. A so-called mother, so wrapped up in whatever is so awfully important to take precedence over the most important years of their child(ren)'s lives is not deserving of the title. And there are a few of those men on the general questions board and they also have my admiration. What a gift those children have to have an active father in their lives.

Those things said...

If my mother could tough out a marriage for 61 years, 50+ of which were not happy years from 3 weeks into the marriage until the day Dad was forced to stop drinking... then any reasonable person can work it out with another person who is or isn't. Parenting and doing what's best for the children requires maturity. It requires setting aside sacred cows for the family good. For the sake of a child, who needs a mother and a father.

It's too bad that in so many cases the mother and/or the father or both don't consider the needs of a child and try to exclude each other - as if the child is property...

It's too bad that in the case of the OW and OM on this board, they make choices that will ultimately cause their innocent children to be raised without the benefit of both parents. But that's on the road of adultery and once you choose that road, all other choices are removed from the ideal.

Just saying Mary - your way is not the ideal for your children. But it's the best you can do given the road you chose.

Cafe Plan B link http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2182650&page=1

The ? that made recovery possible: "Which lovebuster do I do the most that hurts the worst"?

The statement that signaled my personal recovery and the turning point in our marriage recovery: "I don't need to be married that badly!"

If you're interested in saving your relationship, you'll work on it when it's convenient. If you're committed, you'll accept no excuses.
M
M
Hey Kay, yes I do remember the majority (I think) of your story. And this right here.

Just saying Mary - your way is not the ideal for your children. But it's the best you can do given the road you chose.

IT's a double edge sword. I come from a intact family and my parents will be celebrating there 60 year anniversary next year. So I get what your saying...difference is my parents were a team and loved each other and both had the same goals and worked for the future with each other.

I do NOT agree though however is the majority of cases when (I'll use my marriage as an example) there is caso from the adults going on 24/7 and that it is healthy for your kids to see one parent drunk all the time they are not working, sleeping in seperate rooms living seperate lives going in oppisite directions. When you have one child suttering all the time and the other begging you to stop fighting or stop drinking long enough to have family time. What is that teaching your children about marriage? To settle for and allow one partner to live alone with someone and have a family there but there really not there? Or it's okay to treat your spouse that way? The one who is suppose to be there and be your partner in life?

Some marriages can take it and even though there may not be much love there there is still enough respect for each other that they will make it work for there kids. Even if I would have had that I'd still be married.

It amazed me that within one month of my husband leaving my daughter stopped stuttering except for the once in awhile excitement.

It was much easier rasing my children because I was not having to raise an adult as well.

And what do you know come to find out he was cheating on me as well. And that is who he is with now.

I agree it is ideal to have both parents. It's the best ideal stitch. But I'm old enough to have seen kids raised in both intact and one parent homes to know that if the effort is there both can turn out pretty good. I've also seen where both intact and one parent homes have had there share of challenges in cases as well.

I made a mistake after i kicked my husband out but I never ever made the mistake on my kids time. My kids came first always.

My oc will have challenges. I know this. It's my job to make those challenges easier for her and do what I have to do to soften those for her and do what is best for her welfare. I'm prepared for this and I will do what it takes to make sure she is OKAY over this. Thus far so far so good. Granted she is only 4 and yes she has already had challenges and I've walked her through them without putting her father down.

My twins that are almost 10 now are very well behaved girls, get all a's and b's in school and every year have been on the honor and good citizenship award list. Of course they are not perfect but they do pretty darn good.

I don't put down there father to them either. THEY have told me they are happy with the way things are. They remember even though they were only 3 when we seperated that we are not together anymore. They love there dad but he does to them but he did to me. They don't depend on him and he did that to them, not me. I encourage them to spend as much time as possible with him. I go out of my way to let them spend time with them almost to a fault of disrupting my schedule and plans. My attorney has told me to stop it, but really whose best interst is that in, mine or my kids?

Again, if the adults do what they are suppose to do and nuture there kids and play positive roles in life mishaps kids will tend to do the same. I've seen it to many times and live it so that is why I believe that. When you have to disrupt the intact family then the way it's handled is how your kids for the most part (I realize not one size fits all)will follow in suite.

Kay I do admire both of your parents though making it work for all those years for the sake of you (and if you have brothers and sisters).

H
H
Marysway............NO I am NOT on probation for any sex acts. What kind of a statement is that to make? I'm sorry, but I find that a bit offensive.

If you read my thread under the topic Marriage Counseling, you will see where I'm at in the situation so far.

Hurt

OC born 6/08
M
M
Marysway............NO I am NOT on probation for any sex acts. What kind of a statement is that to make? I'm sorry, but I find that a bit offensive.

If you read my thread under the topic Marriage Counseling, you will see where I'm at in the situation so far.

Hurt

Hurt, it was generalized and you took it in the wrong context. If you read my entire post I truely think you would have seen that. My point was and I've always stood for this is you have every RIGHT to be in that child's life. You are married to your husband and apart of his life. It was generalized blanket statement. I was sticking up for you and letting you know comeing FROM how I feel being the FOW w/oc how I feel and how it is period.
Unless I am mistaken you mentioned the ow did not want you around the oc? OR around for p/u and d/o? Was that you or someone else if it was someone else then I am sorry you took it the way you did, but my point to that comment is TOO BAD! No judge is going to put those types of conditions on visation unles it is something drastic as sex offenders, physcal abusive stitch's drug use etc. Otherwise the Ow needs to suck it up too and just apprceiate that she helped create this stitch and it is what it is. She too will be making compromises in order for this child to have the father in the child's life. Nothing more was intended with what I said.

H
H
If it was a generalized statement, you would have written "excluding people who have been charged with sex acts in the past" You said unless "I have been in trouble for sex acts"

Maybe I did take it the wrong way. It's hard to get someone's tone through a post. What's with the if I don't like the comment that's TOO BAD!

What are you getting so bent out of shape about? I'm sure other's know this, but don't you post on TOW? And you post here?

I don't know your story, so I really don't have an opinion about you.

Just wondering why you're on an infidelity board, and also on an OW board? Confusing to me.

To answer your question, No.......OW never said that she didn't want me around OC. I said that If I was her (and her boyfriend went back to his wife (ME)) that I probably wouldn't want the wife around my baby.

I read a little bit more of your post. Just so I have this right, and please correct me if I'm wrong. You have twin girls from an affair where you were the OW? And you are now married to someone else, or still married to the same person. Just trying to get a little background info. I'm not trying to embarass or judge you. Honestly.............God Bless!

Hurt

OC born 6/08
M
M
Mary - if your divorce was best for your children, you are an exception, not a rule.

there are enough people out there that have either benefited from...or would have benefited from getting away from one parent to make it more than an exception. I would have greatly benefited if my mom had dropped off the face of the planet...let alone my dad divorcing her and raising us himself. I also know my son is far better off without his mom being a daily influence in his life.

I will also say that there are a lot of others out there just like me. While a 2 parent household is best....that only holds true if one of the parents is not a complete idiot.

We have people here that raise their children in homes with abusive spouses....active drug and alcoholic parents...sorry, those kids would be better off being raised by the sane parent and if there is none...then an adoptive family.

I have seen horror stories both as a cop and as a foster parent of what what happens to kids that fall victim to a horrible parent.

M
M
If it was a generalized statement, you would have written "excluding people who have been charged with sex acts in the past" You said unless "I have been in trouble for sex acts"

Maybe I did take it the wrong way. It's hard to get someone's tone through a post. What's with the if I don't like the comment that's TOO BAD!

What are you getting so bent out of shape about? I'm sure other's know this, but don't you post on TOW? And you post here?

I don't know your story, so I really don't have an opinion about you.

Just wondering why you're on an infidelity board, and also on an OW board? Confusing to me.

To answer your question, No.......OW never said that she didn't want me around OC. I said that If I was her (and her boyfriend went back to his wife (ME)) that I probably wouldn't want the wife around my baby.

I read a little bit more of your post. Just so I have this right, and please correct me if I'm wrong. You have twin girls from an affair where you were the OW? And you are now married to someone else, or still married to the same person. Just trying to get a little background info. I'm not trying to embarass or judge you. Honestly.............God Bless!

Hurt

First of all H*ll to the NO that I post on TOW. When I first came across my stitch yes I did 5 years ago but ONLY in one forum and it had nothing to do with keeping an affair going. Nor was I there very long. Now that that part is cleared up on to the next one.

Yes I do have twin girls. NO they are not from xmm. I was married to my husband. We went through 4.5 years of infertilty and our last IVF seesion I actually got pregnant and was able to keep that pregnancy (had total of 8 miscarragies) to term. I never cheated on my husband. But I do believe that my marriage contributed to my state of mind that helpped lead to the affair I was in with a MM after I had kicked my husband out (6 months past). I had a horrible marriage my self esteem was pretty low and I could not believe that anyone would want a middle aged woman with toddler twins to spend time with let alone there life with. That is not an excuse for my affair because there is no excuses. It was wrong anyway you look at it.....I'm just telling you where I was at. I knew my xmm for 13 years prior to the affair. He use to work for my x-fiance when we had met. We had stayed friends through out the years and worked together again before anything had happened between us. It had been almost a year of not working together before it happened.
Xmm knew me my background my life and all I had gone threw with my x-fiance and x-husband. I guess it was comfortable due to our friendship and history. regardless again it's not an excuse it was frame of mind.

My x-husband cheated on me. I knew he had cheated on me, but was never able to get the proof and it was not until a couple of years after I kicked him out that he let it slip out on the time he had been with is now girlfriend that it was all put together. My x-fiance also cheated on me and I did catch him and that is why I never married him.

It sounds as if we BOth misunderstood each other and for that I apoligize. I am not sure what you mean by the comment you say I made that if you don't like the comment to bad as that is not my style but I will come back after I find it and clarify it for you.

I have a 4 year old little girl that is my OC. We are in NC and it's best for our stitch.

I've posted on this site for quite a few years. I actually tried to use the MB princliples in my own marriage before we split up. I bought the books and was familar with the site when this all happened with oc. I do have my feelings about C versus NC but I don't judge someone for there actions. It's not a perfect world. I do however express my feelings regarding the subject and insight where possible misinformation could be taken but I have made some in real life friends with several BW's with and without oc's and with and without contact. There are also some Bw's who can't get past my past and that is okay too....I will go look for that comment made by me and see what my intentions where when I made it and clarify.

M
M
I was sticking up for you and letting you know comeing FROM how I feel being the FOW w/oc how I feel and how it is period.
Unless I am mistaken you mentioned the ow did not want you around the oc? OR around for p/u and d/o? Was that you or someone else if it was someone else then I am sorry you took it the way you did, but my point to that comment is TOO BAD! No judge is going to put those types of conditions on visation unles it is something drastic as sex offenders, physcal abusive stitch's drug use etc. Otherwise the Ow needs to suck it up too and just apprceiate that she helped create this stitch and it is what it is. She too will be making compromises in order for this child to have the father in the child's life. Nothing more was intended with what I said.

Okay I was not saying that if you did not like my comment to bad, I was saying that it's too bad for any ow (any parent really) who tried to put demands on a BW on any type of visation with the spouse of the MM. To bad if she does not like it. She helped create this mess and so therefore she must TOO accept that and take the good with the bad. It is what it is.

I did not mean at all to bad if you did not like my comment. Again not my style. I would not be that

G
G
Moral dilemna of a lifetime. You got that right. Wow.

So......YES, you should be involved in the life of the other child.
BUT NOT at the expense of your wife or kids. They come first. Its what the WIFE needs and decides to do.

Humans have responsibilites to EVERYONE on earth to a certain extent. But the responsibilities to their immediate family overrides any others.

Imo.

M
M
But the responsibilities to their immediate family overrides any others.

A child is your immediate family...and he/she is due as much consideration as your wife/kids IMHO.

G
G
And in all honesty, while I stand by my original post, I am fully aware that if I sit and listen to reasons why you posted as you did, I would understand it completely.

Its a tough, tough call for me.

H
H
Hey Marysway! Sorry, I did misunderstand you. You shouldn't feel bad about having a relationship with someone else if you were not living with H at the time.

Your time alone/separated is to do what YOU want and find out what your needs are. Nothing wrong with having a little fun.

I had a friend who was dating a MM and got pregnant. She was posting on TOW for advice, and I was reading her posts. That's where I remember your name from. Didn't mean to upset you, I didn't realize that it was so long ago. I apoligize. You can whip me if you want!!! LOL laugh

OC born 6/08
M
M
I had a friend who was dating a MM and got pregnant. She was posting on TOW for advice, and I was reading her posts.

time ot get a better class of friends and not involve yourself in that type of filth over on TOW.

M
M
You can whip me if you want!!! LOL

Naw.........If I did not care I would not have taken the time to explain. These are sensitive Issues. I KNOW. TOW was a long time ago (seems like longer than it was). It was the first place I found to deal with what I was going through. We ended up leaving that board and starting a board for both bw's and ow's going through it and believe it or not it worked for the most part some did not and that is to be expected then the board just turned into a mommy board which was great as we were all getting past it and moving on.

If it was that long ago then I probally know your friend. Or heard of her.

No hard feelings.

H
H
Marysway, It was "Manda1970" she was and still is married. Had affair with MM. He got both her and his wife pregnant 2 weeks apart!

She has NC with MM and H adopted the child. He was wonderful to her and helped her through her difficult pregnancy (bedrest) as if he were the natural father.

MedC..........Why do you always have to be so negative? What gives you the right to judge me by who my friends are? Obviously my friend and her H worked it out. Isn't that what we're all striving for? To make our marriages work and better them?

Just because you are a "straight Talker" doesn't give you the right to be mean................GEEZ!

OC born 6/08
M
M
you just don't get it. YOU should be judged by the company you keep. IMHO, if you have adulterers for friends, you are no better than them. And your "friend" was not DATING a married man...she was HAVING AN AFFAIR with a married man. There is a huge difference. duh.

Geez.

H
H
All you ever do on this board is put people down!

You are very bitter and it appears that you have not gotten over whatever happened to you. If I'm correct (and I may not be) did your wife/girlfriend cheat on you? Does that make you as bad as her because you know her? You need to get on with your life and find a woman for companionship/whatever.

You're an angry person who, so much as I have seen in the short time I've been here, have nothing constructive to say.

I don't have adulterers as friends. I had one friend who made a mistake. Where do you get off saying that I should be judged by the company I keep? You've got nerve! I'll give you that much!

Would you abandon a friend that made a mistake just because you didn't agree with it?

You have nothing better to do........I feel sorry for you.

Last edited by hurtmomof2; 09/15/08 05:56 PM. Reason: spelling

OC born 6/08
M
M
well, first off, your post is against the TOS. I suggest you edit it before the mods do.

Next, I do think anyone that has a friend that is an active adulterer should be judged for their friends. If she is no longer an adulteress, then there is no reason to not be friends with her. But since it appears from your posts that you maintained a friendship while your friend dated (puke) her married affair partner, I would call into question your morals and judgement.

I would and have abandoned friendships with people that were choosing to cheat on their spouse...and I informed their spouse too. The best man at my wedding was cheating on his wife and I gave him one week and one chance to tell his wife...when he balked...I did. His wife thanks me till this day. He of course sees it differently...and I don't give a hoot.

And please don't feel sorry for me. I wouldn't trade my life for anything. If I ever find myself trolling the waters of the TOW I will know I hit rock bottom.

H
H
Wow! You really seem to have your nose in EVERYONE'S business

I have NEVER posted on TOW, just said that I read my friend's posts. I don't like that site either.

Besides, who made you the ruler of the world?

OC born 6/08
M
M
Wow! You really seem to have your nose in EVERYONE'S business

I have NEVER posted on TOW, just said that I read my friend's posts. I don't like that site either.

Besides, who made you the ruler of the world?

I never said you posted over there.

I offer my opinion. If you don't like it...tough doodie.

eta...good job editing your post.

Last edited by medc; 09/15/08 06:04 PM.
H
H
I think you need to find a better support system than a mostly women's forum dealing with cheating husband's and their OC.

I have not read any of the other topics/forums. I'm sure there's men on there. But seriously........Get a life!

OC born 6/08
M
M
I'm certain my life is very full by any standard.

laugh

M
M
Hurt I do remember her! she had another baby with her husband didn't she? She was on bedrest the entire pregnancy!

Medc, I know this girl and she was not looking to continue her affair. she did what she needed to do to make her marriage work and was a straight talker. Just as I am not proud of my actions during that time it does NOT mean I will forever wear that "A" on my shirt. I think you know from my posts by now that I don't condone affairs at all.....and trust me when I first went on TOW I knew pretty much from the get go who wanted to continue there affairs and who just needed some support with the whole oc thing. Although I DID get what you were saying but that is why I asked her who the gal was before I said anything one way or the other.

Hurt I think the way you put it to me is why he reacted the way he did. Am I right medc?

I am so glad that her and her husband are doing so well still. Didn't she post here too? When you talk to her tell her marysway said hello.

H
H
Yeah......I'm sure it is :RollieEyes: You talk like you're better than everyone else. Enough said. Not going to get into this with you all night.

My Nanny is giving my 2 little ones their bath. I want to tuck them in and read them a bedtime story. Contrary to what you may believe, I am a good mother and a good person.

OC born 6/08
M
M
Am I right medc?
yep

and the "dating" stuff ticks me off.

M
M
You talk like you're better than everyone else

nope...but I can see why you would think that.

H
H
Marysway, No I don't think she posted here since she was the one who had the affair and was pregnant by MM. SHe did get a lot of support from the Children and Affairs forum.

Yes, they do have another baby who just turned a year last week. They are very happy and their marriage seems solid.

When I talk to her, I will tell her you said hello!

She's a wonderful person and a great mother! My point.........and this is for you MedC also, is that people can make mistakes, correct them and be a better person for it.

OC born 6/08
H
H
Man............you are something else! Who died and made you God?

OC born 6/08
M
M
people can make mistakes, correct them and be a better person for it.

I know people can make mistakes and become good people again. Associating with repentant people is good. Associating with active adulterers reflects on you. I do NOT think anyone becomes a BETTER person because of an affair.

H
H
Who said I was associating with active adulterers???????????

This was a few years back (confirmed by Marysway) What is your problem with me? This was dealt to me, I didn't cheat and have a baby.

You need to leave me alone. Because, seriously, you're creeping me out that you're sitting at your computer waiting to argue back with me. I said before that I didn't want to continie this banter between us.

Are you capable enough to stop posting? I want to go read my little ones a story before bed. I don't have time for this.

I'll let the mods handle it from here.

OC born 6/08
M
M
So, now I am keeping you at your computer against your wishes. Please.

Who said I was associating with active adulterers???????????

I don't know...who said it? I didn't.

Last edited by medc; 09/15/08 07:10 PM.
H
H

I know people can make mistakes and become good people again. Associating with repentant people is good. Associating with active adulterers reflects on you. I do NOT think anyone becomes a BETTER person because of an affair. [/quote]

YOU said it........are you losing your memory?

OC born 6/08
M
M
OKAY time out!

both of you are suppose to be on the same team. Not against each other and that does not mean you have to agree with each other on everything.

I know exactly what sentence (well 2 sentences) that you wrote to me that set Medc off. I was actaully shocked (not good not bad, just OHHH) that in your posistion hurt you made it. But I took a step back before I posted and looked at the whole picture of the post and also knew before I made a judgement to ask who your friend was.

Personaly I think that we can't drop our friends off the face of the earth only tell them how we feel and how the destruction can happen and how many people get hurt through this. And yes tough love if need be. With that said if we can't condone the behavior tell them how we feel and not be there as we were before. That does not mean we don't love them anymore. We just don't love there actions. Love the person hate the sin.

One of my very best girlfriends stood by me through my whole ordeal although she did not condone my behavior and this one friend not only was going through this same experience but as a BW and her husband had gotten not ONE but TWO Ow's pregnant. She told me how she felt and she in no way condoned my behavior and even went as far as telling me that the right thing for xmm to do is work to restore his marriage. But she was there through my entire pregnancy and at the birth of my oc.

My friend also knew ME before affair happened so she knew my demere (sp?) she knew ME so that had a lot to do with how she handled it with me. I'm sure of it. Because her marriage was destroyed and done by her husbands actions. So my point to that story is, Hurt knew this gal (Manda we were talking about) and by what I know of her I see why she was her friend.

Hurt KNOWS first hand the hurt and devastation that comes from this. She has said herself she is not sure if she can handle c or not.

I also know that a lot of bs's go over to TOW and read. They can't help themself just as alot of ow's and mm come here and other sites to read.......they can't help themselves. most are trying to see what is inside the mm's ow's bw's mind. It helped me alot reading over here at first.

M
M
I stated a fact....how did I say you were doing that? YOu have done that a few times on this thread. Perhaps you need to read more closely.

When I am attacking someone...I do it pretty much head on.

M
M
Love the person hate the sin.

I agree...and when they stop sinning you welcome them back. But to still be friends with an active adulterer would be a terrible lapse in judgement, morals and character IMHO.

If you know of an affair that a friend is having it is your duty to inform the BS. That is what I did...and doing less than that , IMO, makes you complicit for any harm that is caused.

H
H
You didn't state a "fact" you stated your opinion. You said that "associating with active adulterers is a reflection on you"

When you said "You" I assumed you meant me. Why wouldn't I?

This is OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I am done! It's people like you (just use your imagination on what I'd really like to say to you)
But I can't because of the board rules.

I came here for support. Not to be "called out" by some guy who can't handle his own problems!

I will NEVER post on this board after the crap I have endured from this person! Did I say some things back? Yes, I did. But he provoked the whole thing.

I have only known for one month about H 's OC. It is still very fresh and hurtful to me. I'm sad to be leaving, but right now I don't need anymore stress. I'm a good mother, and do spend time with my children. But if I hadn't had my Nanny here the last month, I doubt I would be functioning as well as I am.

Take care everyone and God Bless.

Hurt

OC born 6/08
F
F
t/j Hi Mary! Long time no see. smile

Medc, please you made your point. Let hurtmom have her thread and get the support she needs. Finding out your H got another woman pregnant is excruciating.

How bout we get back to marriage building?

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
M
M
T/J too Hey FF smile

Hurt. Don't leave. Seriously don't. I do like MedC and he has stood up for me on here but you two need to just not talk to each other.

You can get a lot of support here and I know you need it right now. Your just fresh from finding this out. sleep on it okay?

F
F
Originally Posted by marysway
T/J too Hey FF smile

Hurt. Don't leave. Seriously don't. I do like MedC and he has stood up for me on here but you two need to just not talk to each other.

You can get a lot of support here and I know you need it right now. Your just fresh from finding this out. sleep on it okay?
Amen to that! MEDC is a really good guy and one of my favorite posters. He can just be a bit umm enthusiastic when it comes to children and fathers.

(((hurtmom)))

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
M
M
I have NO problem with HM and the OC issue. I may disagree with her...but this was NOT about that.

L
L
I have NO problem with HM and the OC issue. I may disagree with her...but this was NOT about that.

But the OW/OC problem IS her problem.

That is why she is here, not anything else. She doesn't need to agree, disagree or discuss something she is not concerned about, at this time. Her pain IS about OC.

Don't worry about it anyway. She is gone.

BW
DDay March 2004
OC born 8-04
NC
P
OP Offline
P
crap!

M
M
Hurtmom if your lurking........speak up......it's okay. You've got people here who are concerned about ya.

H
H
Marysway, Thanks.........but no thanks. What me and MedC were arguing about had NOTHINHG to do with me deciding on whether to have C with OC.

He was saying things about my moral values and character because I had/have a friend who had an affair resulting in her OC.

Well My Goodness! Nobody's perfect. Medc saying he has no problem with me is not true, in my opinion. If you read the posts. you will be able to see that.

As long as he is on this board waiting to "pounce" on me, I won't be posting anymore.

Thank you for the invitation to come back, but I'm going to have to pass on it.

Hurt

OC born 6/08
M
M
He was saying things about my moral values and character because I had/have a friend who had an affair resulting in her OC.

so that I am real clear here.

I would judge someone for having a friend in an active affair. That shows a lack of morals in my opinion. It would also show a lack of morals to have a friend that is doing this and not telling their BS.

I do not judge anyone for having a friend that has repented and changed their ways.

Your words about her "dating" were offensive. Affairs are not dating any more than going to a hooker is a marriage. I also stand by what I said about TOW site. It is better to not engage in that filth.

People here can help you. I found parts of your posts offensive...and called you on it. Your decision to leave is yours and yours alone. No one here has the power to push you away. I suggest you stay and work with some of the posters here. You and I can stop making assumptions about one another's posts and make sure each of are clear before getting huffy. I will make sure that I handle my end of that.

I am perfectly willing to start over with a clean slate HM.

D
D
HM -

If MEDC bothers you so, why don't you put him on ignore?

Why punish YOURSELF and deny yourself the potential for help from others?

Are you looking for a reason to quit?

MEDC,

Can you copy/paste your questions and post them in another topic?

The past posts from many have veered wildly OT from Pep's original post...and I was diggin' on it big-time.

Regards,
Kimmy

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

O'hana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

My Story

Recovered!
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Dealan-de
The past posts from many have veered wildly OT from Pep's original post...

you'bet'cha it does grumble

D
D
you'bet'cha it does grumble

Quitcher bellyachin' and post some more wisdom.

I was lovin' it more'n I like fried okra...

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

My Story

Recovered!
P
OP Offline
P
[quote]

I am perfectly willing to start over with a clean slate HM.

I could be mistaken, but I understood her to mean she wants you off her slate entirely.

Pep

M
M
Gee Pep, thanks for translating that. I will be sure to come to you when I need help understanding a post.

any poster is able to put another on "ignore" Pep...if she wants me off her slate, MB's has given a poster the ability to do just that.

Last edited by medc; 09/17/08 01:35 PM.
P
OP Offline
P
flirt

M
M
kiss

H
H
How do you put someone on ignore?

OC born 6/08
P
OP Offline
P
How do you put someone on ignore?

click on the name (left side of that person's post}

click on "view profile"

then click on "ignore this user"

Pep

Last edited by Pepperband; 09/17/08 05:45 PM.
H
H
can other people see their posts? or does what they post not show up at all? does the person know they are ge0.tting ignored?

OC born 6/08
P
OP Offline
P
can other people see their posts?

Yes

does the person know they are getting ignored?

nope - not unless you tell 'em

if another poster quotes the person you are ignoring - you can see that quote ... just avert your eyes smile

I don't have anyone on ignore currently
I used to put folks on ignore to protect THEM from ME rotflmao --- to stop myself from doing this ~~~> :crosseyedcrazy: :twobyfour: to them coz they were just too annoying ... but then, after awhile I'd calm down and get a grip

BUT - I am NOT currently in crisis and YOU are
so it is understandable if you are more than tender and sensitive

take care of your immune system

Pep

Last edited by Pepperband; 09/17/08 06:46 PM.
P
OP Offline
P
bump

P
OP Offline
P
bump

P
OP Offline
P
Bump

I
I
I agree with the OP.
BUT.
Personally, as the BW, I would like to know if there is an OC out there. Just seems as a betrayed, someone who is earning their "former wayward" wings would want to come clean on this to the betrayed.
Again, I have a different perspective than most of the members of this forum, because for now, any OC is just hypothetical.

Me:BW, FWH 1DD 1DS
F
F
Well ima of course the former wayward should come clean! The whole other discussion was about the OW telling the betrayed xW.

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
P
OP Offline
P
bump

S
S
Bumping for Dazed09.

If any anyone experienced in this issue is inclined, Dazed is newly pregnant by OM and is posting on SaA. Would you help her, please?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
P
OP Offline
P
BUMP for callalilly

S
S
Bump for Bethesda.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
F
F
^^

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
F
F
^^^^

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
S
S
Faithy,

If you ever leave this forum, I'm going to seek legal counsel to force you back!

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by SugarCane
Faithy,

If you ever leave this forum, I'm going to seek legal counsel to force you back!

LOL

I know where she lives!

F
F
Originally Posted by SugarCane
Faithy,

LOL

I know where she lives!
Hey! No fair! crybaby dramaqueen

No worries, Sugar. I get frustrated but will probably perservere a while longer. This place is no longer my haven but I like to keep my eye out for newbies.

Hi Pep! Are you still up north?

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
P
OP Offline
P
No.
I'm in south.
Hahahaha
Going for mammogram today. Routine.

P
OP Offline
P

This site does not provide basic concepts for child-rearing, and the main focus of this site is not about children.

The Harley's strongly support a healthy loving marriage, in part because an intact functioning marriage IS the best environment in which to raise children.

Yes, there are other functional ways to raise children, but the other ways are NOT generally considered to be THE BEST environment parents can provide.

Let me repeat - an intact happy marriage is the most positive environment for raising children.

It is often stated by people who do not value marriage as much as the Harleys value marriage: "Children are resilient.".

Yes, some children are resilient, and some children are fragile.
Both types of children, the resilient and the fragile children, do best if raised in an intact 2 parent marriage.

If we claim to believe "children are resilient", does stating this belief provide adult parents an excuse to diminish the quality of life for their children in order to test their child's "resiliency".

If children are "resilient" - does this mean we can be a little careless? A lot careless? Does this mean it's "OK" if we fail to make our marriages work by our lack of knowledge, or our laziness, or our sinful selfishness?

And if the failure of a marriage hurts the no-so-resilient child, is the child at fault for not being "resilient enough" ?

Far too often adults will say "Children are resilient" just prior to making a child's life less safe and secure.

How thoughtless.

Let's assume small children are not so resilient. Let's assume small children will be harmed when a marriage fails and parents split apart. Let's assume small children need protection from adults who make bad decisions.

Here is how Dr Harley answered a member when she wrote to him and asked Dr. Harley about " OC contact".

To:

Debi,

a tragic end.

Best wish

There are many times in an adult's life we are faced with a 2 choice dilemma.

A 2 choice dilemma means-

NEITHER CHOICE is optimal.
This means one is left with the task of choosing the LEAST HARMFUL alternative.

Decide for yourself which is the least harmful choice - because every choice involves harm to someone.

If contact with OC/OW/OM is going to push your marriage closer to divorce - what's the value of that? And, who pays the price for that chaos and uncertainty?

Pep

A
A
Putting the 'D' in denial is no way to reconcile a marriage either. The advise of sweeping a problem - in this case, a human life - under the rug because of the possibility that an affair might be rekindled is absurd. Either you can trust that your spouse has reformed or not. Sometimes I think we need to ask ourselves,"At what cost, marriage?" I know for sure that true adulthood means taking responsibility for one's actions and making responsible decisions in the face of mistakes and missteps. Lessening the worth of another child, no matter from where their origin might come, is the least Christian, least adult advise I have ever heard on this site.

V
V
And what is your story Angie?

What advice would you give?

Me & DH: 28
Married 8/20/05
1DD, 9 mo.
Just Lookin' and Learnin'
HIYA!
A
A
My parents adopted my brother, who was the result of an affair (that did not involve either of my parents). Years later, my brother found his birth parents. They eventually married and had a dreadful life, wracked with guilt over giving up their son. They were never able to fully heal because they didn't properly resolve the issues surrounding the "quick fix" they decided upon. Not that there weren't other factors involved, but I think that when you trying just purging yourself of the "problem", it NEVER means that it goes away. (and that's not even accounting for circumstances that you might not have control over, such as the other parties' actions) My advice would be that if you perpetually have to keep all temptation out of your spouse's path, then you need to ask why you are clinging so hard to keep him/her. I truly believe that marriage should not require that spouses have a master's degree in management (or psychology for that matter) to keep it together. I am my husband's partner, not his conscience, mother, life coach or supervisor. I believe with all my heart that marriage deserves all the effort one can dedicate to it, but I think too often we revert to adolescent tactics to keep it together.

A
A
Btw, I agree with Pep that someone in the situation where there is an OC is going to be hurt (and I would argue everyone, to some extent) BUT, in the end, the more you face the issue head-on and find a manageable solution, the more in control, not out of control, you will be.

W
W
Angie: Welcome to MB. Hope you stick around.

I have a feeling that your brother's bio parents would have had a miserable life together no matter what they decided to do about the baby. Affairages (marriages that occur as the result of an affair) are almost never successful or happy. I believe the failure rate I have seen quoted here is around 95%. It's very difficult to build a healthy marriage on a foundation of lies and deceit.

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
V
V
I agree with writer - the problem wasn't that they had the child and gave him up. The problem was the actions that LED to the child. The child was the symptom, not the cause of their mutual dysfunction.

Originally Posted by angiebaby333
My advice would be that if you perpetually have to keep all temptation out of your spouse's path, then you need to ask why you are clinging so hard to keep him/her. I truly believe that marriage should not require that spouses have a master's degree in management (or psychology for that matter) to keep it together. I am my husband's partner, not his conscience, mother, life coach or supervisor. I believe with all my heart that marriage deserves all the effort one can dedicate to it, but I think too often we revert to adolescent tactics to keep it together.

Have you ever dealt with an affair? Have you ever dealt with addiction? Do you understand the power it has over people.

Yes you aren't your husbands supervisor, but you ARE his partner. It isn't your job to keep him from temptation - it is HIS job to keep himself from temptation. If he has an affair it is HIS job to put into place protections to ensure it doesn't happen again, and to ensure it stays dead. Part of that protection is never seeing his affair partner again. Because he is human, and the affair was an addiction. Constantly throwing him into contact with his affair partner to see his OC is dangerous.

That's like asking a recovered alcoholic to only attend AA meetings at the local bar.

At some point he will slip.

As a loving wife and partner, you encourage healthy boundaries and help him keep them by helping him maintain his EPs.

Married 8/20/05
1DD, 9 mo.
HIYA!
P
OP Offline
P
Putting the 'D' in denial is no way to reconcile a marriage either. The advise of sweeping a problem - in this case, a human life - under the rug because of the possibility that an affair might be rekindled is absurd. Either you can trust that your spouse has reformed or not. Sometimes I think we need to ask ourselves,"At what cost, marriage?" I know for sure that true adulthood means taking responsibility for one's actions and making responsible decisions in the face of mistakes and missteps. Lessening the worth of another child, no matter from where their origin might come, is the least Christian, least adult advise I have ever heard on this site.

Then, you disagree with Dr Harley.
NO ONE is lessening the "worth" of a child.

This is, FIRST AND FOREMOST, a MARRIAGE BUILDING site.

A
A
Yes, I most certainly disagree with Dr. Harley and by denying the child, you are indeed lessening their worth. And , yes, I know more than I care to admit about addiction. Learning to overcome your addiction does not mean avoidance - for instance, an alcoholic who cannot go to family functions where alcohol is served has not overcome the addiction. This is very different from, say, an alcoholic who can't go to a bar where the expressed intent of those there is to get drunk. There are other ways that a FWS can make contact with the child, perhaps having a third party pick up the child for visitation. Graduations, weddings, sure there will be times when the the FWS and OW might have to see each other. But if your marriage can't handle those few moments in time - and they really can be few - you have a much bigger issue to contend with.

P
OP Offline
P
Yes, I most certainly disagree with Dr. Harley and by denying the child, you are indeed lessening their worth. And , yes, I know more than I care to admit about addiction. Learning to overcome your addiction does not mean avoidance - for instance, an alcoholic who cannot go to family functions where alcohol is served has not overcome the addiction. This is very different from, say, an alcoholic who can't go to a bar where the expressed intent of those there is to get drunk. There are other ways that a FWS can make contact with the child, perhaps having a third party pick up the child for visitation. Graduations, weddings, sure there will be times when the the FWS and OW might have to see each other. But if your marriage can't handle those few moments in time - and they really can be few - you have a much bigger issue to contend with.

MARRIAGE BUILDING is the FOCUS of MARRIAGE BUILDERS.
To:

Debi,

a tragic end.

Angiebaby, perhaps you have wandered into the wrong website?

Sometimes you may hear alternative opinions that conflict with Dr. Harley's Ten Basic Concepts. These are often raised by those who have not solved their own marital problems, but still feel they are qualified to advise others. When this happens you can expect some members to explain why their approach won't work, and why Marriage Builders� offers a better solution. There are many who are offended when that happens, but please keep in mind that the ultimate purpose of this Forum is to discuss and learn Marriage Builders� concepts.

Last edited by Pepperband; 08/24/10 11:21 AM.
V
V
Yes, I most certainly disagree with Dr. Harley and by denying the child, you are indeed lessening their worth.

Well then, you aren't going to get very far here. This place is about building strong marriages. It's about discussing the MB philosophy and learning to apply it.

And , yes, I know more than I care to admit about addiction. Learning to overcome your addiction does not mean avoidance - for instance, an alcoholic who cannot go to family functions where alcohol is served has not overcome the addiction.

So an addict should continue to expose themselves to their drug of choice, to test their recovery? And if they slip into temptation, too bad, so sad?

If your driving on a high mountain road, you don't drive as close to the edge as possible just to prove you can, you stay as far away from the edge as possible, so there is little chance you fall over.

This is very different from, say, an alcoholic who can't go to a bar where the expressed intent of those there is to get drunk.

To an alcoholic ALL alcohol is dangerous, no matter the venue. Once an alcoholic, ALWAYS an alcoholic. You don't get to lower your guard once you are 'recovered'. You can be 'recovered' for decades and relapse.

I really don't think you have much of an understanding of addiction, regardless of your exposure level.

There are other ways that a FWS can make contact with the child, perhaps having a third party pick up the child for visitation.

Yes, there are. And many people here have navigated just those waters. It is difficult, but possible. A third party could work. There are many options.

However, choosing to NOT have contact with the OC is just as valid a choice, should a couple decide that is what is BEST for the marriage. Often OC are detrimental to the security, peace and financial stability of the Children of the Marriage. Should THEY be made to suffer, be thrown under the rug, for the OC? If all children are important and have value, why should the COM suffer?

Graduations, weddings, sure there will be times when the the FWS and OW might have to see each other. But if your marriage can't handle those few moments in time - and they really can be few - you have a much bigger issue to contend with.

So, how many marriages have YOU saved from adultery?

Married 8/20/05
1DD, 9 mo.
HIYA!
A
A
No, I don't think I got lost! I think this is just one of those times where my own religious upbring gets in the way of Dr. Harley's advice. Surely, you are not saying to throw the baby out with the bath water Pep.

P
OP Offline
P
No, I don't think I got lost! I think this is just one of those times where my own religious upbring gets in the way of Dr. Harley's advice. Surely, you are not saying to throw the baby out with the bath water Pep.

please keep in mind that the ultimate purpose of this Forum is to discuss and learn Marriage Builders� concepts

A
A
I guess my question, before I get successfully crucified here, is how can you have a successful marriage and have this piece that surely will always loom large over your head? Done is done, and just really feel that this is one of those situations where you can run, but you can't hide.

Vibrissa - I do think that, like I said before, everyone suffers in this mess, including the COM.

P
OP Offline
P
I guess my question, before I get successfully crucified here, is how can you have a successful marriage and have this piece that surely will always loom large over your head? Done is done, and just really feel that this is one of those situations where you can run, but you can't hide.

Do you understand the MB concept of POJA ?

POJA is the key to long and successful marriage-building-recovery ... after adultery, after OC.

The key to POJA is that both spouses must reach enthusiastic agreement for BIG important decisions, such as contact or no contact with OC.

My opinion should not be considered.
Your opinion should not be considered.
The two MARRIED people must both be enthusiastic.

If one spouse gets coerced into contact, the marriage will be miserable.

P
OP Offline
P
Surely, you are not saying to throw the baby out with the bath water Pep.

I am saying that, thus far, I see no evidence that you have read the MB concepts or any of the MB books, or that you have a rudimentary understand of MB concepts, or that you have ever offered MARRIAGE BUILDING advice to anyone.

Are you even interested in MB concepts?

T
T
angiebaby
"an alcoholic who cannot go to family functions where alcohol is served has not overcome the addiction. This is very different from, say, an alcoholic who can't go to a bar "

Unfortunately you know nothing about addiction. The way a WS must have NC with their addiction substance it's the same for any other addict.

V
V

It is possible. Read some of the stories on here. Many have recovered. Some had contact with their child, some actually adopted their OC and raised them with their betrayed spouse, some have NO CONTACT with the child and the mother. There are examples of each kind here that have SUCCESSFULLY recovered their marriages. What works for one family - won't necessarily work for another.

However, NC is part of EACH of those success stories. Just read Dealan-de's story to see how NOT going NC can turn out. They tried just what you recommended. Letting the OC in their life, helping the OW, it resulted in at least one other OC, maybe 2 - it's been a while since I've reread her story.

Vibrissa - I do think that, like I said before, everyone suffers in this mess, including the COM.

In this case - the goal should be to MINIMIZE the suffering, especially of the innocents. And the BEST solution is a healthy strong marriage between the couple.

Married 8/20/05
1DD, 9 mo.
HIYA!
F
F
and don't forget angie, that the BS and COM are innocent in this mess.

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
M
M
I choose to stay silent as to not get thrown off this board.

Well, I will just say that biblically the needs of all children whether COM or OC's DO NOT supercede the needs of a husband and wife and the bonds of their relationship.

Again, this is a MARRIAGE BUILDING site, not a save the OC site.

Last edited by migsamac; 08/24/10 01:23 PM.

Me: BS age 35
POS-eX-the SORRIEST, CRUELEST, LOWLY WAYWARD SCUMBAG out there
Married 14.5 years, together almost 16
DDay: 7-5-09
OC born: 7-23-09
no COM: tried 6 years frown
D filed 5/05/2011
D final 11/10/11
I was gaslighted for 2 years.

"You were not built for a safe story. Take risks and feel what it is like to actually be brave. It's worth it." Carlos Whittaker
M
M
bump

D filed 5/05/2011
D final 11/10/11

"You were not built for a safe story. Take risks and feel what it is like to actually be brave. It's worth it." Carlos Whittaker
F
F
^^^^

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
A
A
I had a friend who was dating a MM and got pregnant. She was posting on TOW for advice, and I was reading her posts. That's where I remember your name from. Didn't mean to upset you, I didn't realize that it was so long ago. I apoligize. You can whip me if you want!!! LOL laugh

Assuming you actually knew this friend in real life and were not just following vicariously on TOW �

Serious question: Why did you not expose your friend�s adultery to her partner in adulterery�s wife?

Not doing so makes you an accessory to the adultery. You should be ashamed.

Two friends of my wife knew of her VLTA for years but kept quiet. They often sat across from me at combined family functions and looked me in the eye and pretended they were good people. But they were not, nor are any who abet adulterous secrets.

That kind of person tends to eventually get what they deserve, don�t they.

Such people are as scummy as the adulterers. They are not welcome anywhere near me or my family. Further, I told everyone who knows them about the adultery they protected by their silence. Neither have any close friends left that I know of.

Dated a MM.

Just a mistake.

What a minimization.

It is to laugh.

Oh, depending on the state you live in, your H could be ordered to pay up to 20% of his pre-tax income to the OW for OC support. Some states even require he pay for the child�s college past the age of 18. Does not matter if he has neither visitation rights nor any kind of contact whatsoever, either.

Are you prepared for your children to have less so your H�s OC can have more? It�s in your future no matter what you do.

BTW, my DS may not be my son. He hates his mother for it too. Barely gives her the time of day any more. You don�t know how this is going to turn out. Neither does your adulterous H. It�s pretty much out of your hands.

"Never forget that your pain means nothing to a WS." ~Mulan

"An ethical man knows it is wrong to cheat on his wife. A moral man will not actually do it." ~ Ducky

WS: They are who they are.

When an eel lunges out
And it bites off your snout
Thats a moray ~DS
D
D
V - 2 OC, tho the 2nd we didn't do DNA on.

We have custody of the children, and there is minimal contact with the bio-mom (she can't seem to put the children above her own wants and that's just fine with us).

Just some clarification.

I, too, advocate NO CONTACT - for many reasons.

My Story

Recovered!
D
D
Oh. And Hi Appy.

Every time I hear That's Amore, I think of your son.

My Story

Recovered!
G
G
Ahhhh Christmas dinner at 7 so~
I have time- always fashionably late. So perhaps eightish.

We never regret NC.
For myself, although I'd have done it to keep my H. Woulda never worked. Never.
Down the road some ten years since d-day. We have lost all of our parents. Within a few years. More heartache.
Lots of drama from ow with THAT too So if we included the stranger oc in our lives I'd never ever have some peace. Not that we have tons but ANYTHING we do is without an ow or oc~
God Bless Dr Harley.
He gave the correct advice. We moved. Not far enough as ow has oc in our nieces and nephews school. Closed schools. But she uses her husbands mother as legal guardian. Legally our hands are tied.
Our kids moved to another suburb. So granddaughter will be at harms length.

It would have never ever worked. I told my H I'd step aside. He could have oc but I wouldn't be there. Not ever.
I meant it
So I give glory to God as my prayer was always to * lead me in the right direction*
so much more. But here we are.
Banged. Bruised. Scarred. Together.
More appreciative for each other than ever.
I would have made it without my H. God granted us more time. Just a little.
I am eternally grateful

Oh! No! I'd never trust my h with ow. Not a minute. So angie. I never had to test him ....... But if push came to shove and he didn't have my back. He'd be on his own. I don't ever need a test to see if he wants to be with me. If he wanted her. He'd be there raising oc. What do you think??
Love
Debi

Married 3-02-74
D-day 11-13-00
Recovered very well now~
N/C
Me and H both 55
1 beautiful granddaughter, a wonderful son, and daughter-in-law...(like a daughter~)

God answers all prayers in His own way...in His own time.
G
G
Btw ' hello Faithy and Pepp'. And Pops!!!!!

Married 3-02-74
D-day 11-13-00
Recovered very well now~
N/C
Me and H both 55
1 beautiful granddaughter, a wonderful son, and daughter-in-law...(like a daughter~)

God answers all prayers in His own way...in His own time.
M
M
Wow, Gemini1. Thanks so much for sharing this. I am only around 18 mos. post DDay and your post is very encouraging. I always appreciate a glimpse into the future. We, too, moved. 1600 miles away. I hope that I will have a a happy (or happier) ending as you seem to have.
(((Gemini1)))

D filed 5/05/2011
D final 11/10/11

F
F
Awesome post, Gem!!!

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by gemini1
Btw ' hello Faithy and Pepp'. And Pops!!!!!
Merry Almost Christmas!!
santa001

P
P
gem, hi right back atcha. be a good grandma and spoil that little GD to pieces.

Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS

me-59 ww-55
my oldest son 37
oc born 12/20/01
now 8 grandchildren
A
A
Enjoyed your post, Gem. As in the past, I feel like I can actually hear you saying the things you say, as if we were chatting in person, over coffee. Godspeed, old friend....

P
OP Offline
P

P
OP Offline
P

BUMP FOR NOOBIES

P
OP Offline
P
Some older posts to add to this thread.
If the OW is currently pregnant .....

Originally Posted by me
Try MARRIAGE BUILDING

while the OW is pregnant.

Your marriage is like a ship with a large leak right now. You are taking on water and your ship is in danger is sinking.

You need to do something.

But, instead of fixing the leak that is happening right now ... you are thinking about the future passengers that you may have to take on ... well, unless you fix your marriage ... the decisions about OC and all that goes with an OC are moot.

What are you doing to repair the marriage? And by "you" I mean both you and your husband.

After an affair, it is very very important that the 2 affairees NOT see or speak to each other. For many reasons

one reason is ... it is highly likely the affair will re-start

another reason is it is completely disrespectful to the faithful spouse

another reason might be it gives the OW false hope that she still might "have a chance" to win over the heart of your husband !!!!

NO CONTACT ....and there is no compelling reason for them to discuss anything until after the baby is born and after DNA has proven your husband to be the father.

If your husband insists on talking to OW before the child is born, you should ~assume~ their affair is not over.

Please take time to study all the steps necessary to recover your marriage .... read Surviving an Affair .... and read all the links under the "concepts" part of this site.

best of wishes for you and your family

And .....

Originally Posted by me
Also according to Harley a few things need to happen:

1.a. WS needs to take full responsibility for the affair. He needs to tell you how and why it happened. He cannot blame you in any way for his affair ... that just means he doesn't get it yet. Stop here and go no further. He is not ready for reconciliation yet. (You shouldn't tell him he is not ready yet. You can tell him though that you did not tell him, force him, or give him permission to have an affair and that you will in no way take responsibility for it.)

1.b. He needs to disclose all the details, the wheres , whens, hows, and whys that you need to know to find closure. He has to be willing to answer all your questions as often as needed.

2. He needs to fully acknowledge the depth and scope of the pain he has caused you. You have to really feel that he "gets" it and in truly remorseful.

3. he needs to be willing to do what ever it takes to make you feel safe. ( this is where the NC letter and extraordinary precautions for NC come in.)

4. You need to agree on a plan for recovery.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Wow, this is an amazingly bizarre thread and I was so grateful to get to starfish's post that finally injected some sanity here. The implication that it is "adult" to friend a terrorist whose goal is the destruction of your marriage and your children's family is bizarre. You don't "get along" with a terrorist, you protect yourself from her. [lest you end up with your head cut off! nothing "adult" or virtuous about exposing yourself to foolish risks. crazy] Having any contact with an OW will only prevent the recovery of the marriage by keeping the BS and the WS perpetually triggered. No marriage can afford that.

It is, however, an "adult" responsibility to protect your marriage and your children's family from an OW. Dr Harley advocates no contact between the married couple and the OW and, ideally, no contact with the OC.

It is scary to read some of these old threads and see how far from actual Marriage Builders concepts - and simple basic sanity - this forum once veered. It disturbs me because marriages that involve an OC need to be MORE stringent about recovery concepts, not less. For them it is a matter of survival after such a compounded trauma.

P
OP Offline
P
BUMP

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 493 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation