Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
I
Appreciate your sharing these observations.

They provide an excellent catalyst to stimulate organized thinking when considering a potential long-term partner.

E
E
Originally Posted by medc
EXACTLY right on the priest scandal...and it is VERY much a part of my life. It is a HUGELY homosexual issue.

It outlines the media bias, it's both homosexual and a priest, but the only part that is emphasized is being a priest.

Why not emphasis that it's a homosexual act? Or at least give that aspect of it equal billing?

Because it's not politically correct to be critical of homosexuals, but it is politically correct to be critical of priests.

The men who are doing these things are engaging in homosexual abuse.

The media attention is on them being priests, and not on the fact that they are homosexual.

Doesn't really appear objective to me.

T
T
I didn't see it so much in those terms. What outraged me was that the priest who had molested children (in a homosexual way) were dealt with by relocating them to other areas. At the same time this was going on, Canada was legalizing gay marriages. The pope was writing letters to our government urging them not to do this. It seemed so hypocritical to me that the pope would put so much effort into politics of a country he doesn't live in, while his own priests are taking the same "sin" and making it even worse (but doing it against children) and all he does is relocate them???? The message to me: Homosexuality is bad unless it is against children!! Then it just needs to be covered up. This just makes me want to hurl.

(before anybody gets their knickers in a twist I did have a good friend who found out her new priest was one of these "relocated" priests. It was very sad)

M
M
I am not going to get on you about this. I KNOW first hand what a "relocated" priest can do.

J
J
CSA (child sexual abuse) is evil no matter whether it's homosexual or heterosexual, IMNSHO.

The fact that it's perpetrated by men of the cloth makes it orders of magnitude worse, not the fact that it's males assaulting boys rather than males assaulting girls or females assaulting boys.

me - 47 tired
H - 39 cool
married 2001
DS 8a think
DS 8b :crosseyedcrazy:
(Why is DS7b now a blockhead???)
(Ack! Now he's not even a blockhead, just a word! That's no fun!)
E
E
Originally Posted by jayne241
CSA (child sexual abuse) is evil no matter whether it's homosexual or heterosexual, IMNSHO.

The fact that it's perpetrated by men of the cloth makes it orders of magnitude worse, not the fact that it's males assaulting boys rather than males assaulting girls or females assaulting boys.

I don't see priests or anyone in any higher position than any other person so being a priest is just one of many facts, but not more important than any of the other facts, when it comes to a news story.

So with respect to the reporting of the issue, I find it troublesome that only some facts are focused upon, such that the perpetrator was a priest, yet others are all but ignored, such as it was a same-sex crime.

From the perspective of the crime, it doesnt' make a difference who did it. It was an adult taking advantage of a child.

But from a news perspective, it does make a difference if the news outlets only focus on some facts and don't focus as much on other important details.

G
G
Medc

You don't have to answer, but, you a victim? Or did you deal with it as a cop??

Me, I was involved, but my suffering was more of a bewilderment and not as extensive as my best friend. It changed his life. ANd then it ended it.

L
L
A child molester is a child molester is a child molester.
The child does not care who is doing it to them whether it is the leader of their church, the teacher or the man who mows the lawns.

It is an adult. Adults are scary and can tell kids what to do. So you have to do it.

The adults posistion in society has stuff all to do with it.

Recovered marriage, recovering self, life gets better everyday laugh
T
T
There is a difference when it is a priest because this is someone you expect to be a leader to your children. Same with a teacher, a cop or any other important role model or someone children have been taught to respect. There is a breach of something sacred in addition to the abuse - sort of a double whammy.

Don't even start me on how the media reports things.

M
M
You don't have to answer, but, you a victim?

yes, me.

I am sorry for your friend. It almost ended mine as well. I am also sorry for what happened to you.

Are you familiar with SNAP?

http://www.snapnetwork.org/

Last edited by medc; 09/02/08 07:38 AM.
M
M
A child molester is a child molester is a child molester.
The child does not care who is doing it to them whether it is the leader of their church, the teacher or the man who mows the lawns.

This is so wrong on many levels. I don't even know where to begin.

:RollieEyes:

M
M
There is a breach of something sacred in addition to the abuse - sort of a double whammy

well said.

E
E
Frankly, a priest is no more elevated in stature than any other adult on the face of the Earth. God says He regards all of us the same. So God doesn't regard the priest any higher than any other human He created.

Therefore, I don't see it as being any worse when a priest is involved in such a horrible crime.

What makes it horrible is not that he's a priest OR that he's homosexual, but that he's preying on a child.

But if the media is going to raise ONLY the priest aspect of it, they are missing other details.

To me, it appears they are cherry-picking the details based on their biases.

And for what it's worth, a homosexual is not any more of a sinner than a priest. The Bible says we have ALL sinned an fallen short, and our righteousness is like filthy rags when compared to God.

Not that some of us are as filthy rags, we all compare the same with respect to him.

So exercises where we think we are better than someone else are fruitless.

M
M
Originally Posted by Enlightened_Ex
Frankly, a priest is no more elevated in stature than any other adult on the face of the Earth. God says He regards all of us the same. So God doesn't regard the priest any higher than any other human He created.

Therefore, I don't see it as being any worse when a priest is involved in such a horrible crime.

What makes it horrible is not that he's a priest OR that he's homosexual, but that he's preying on a child.

But if the media is going to raise ONLY the priest aspect of it, they are missing other details.

To me, it appears they are cherry-picking the details based on their biases.

And for what it's worth, a homosexual is not any more of a sinner than a priest. The Bible says we have ALL sinned an fallen short, and our righteousness is like filthy rags when compared to God.

Not that some of us are as filthy rags, we all compare the same with respect to him.

So exercises where we think we are better than someone else are fruitless.

your post makes little sense in relation to this thread.

Given that what was being discussed was the impact of a "trusted" person assaulting the child, it does matter greatly if the assailant is a priest, a cop or another trusted person. It adds a level of insult to the victim that would NOT be present had the crime been committed by a family member.

All sins are NOT equal in the eyes of God.

And the main issue that the priests get hammered on...and rightfully so is NOT the assault of an individual priest, but the organizational failure to protect children against KNOWN assailants. THAT is where the church fell short. They kept shuffling these known abusers around from parish to parish...and letting them abuse other children.

As an example, I was assaulted in Philadelphia (and Delaware) by a priest that had been known to the archdiocese as an abuser. Rather than handling it properly, the moved him around until, as the grand jury found, he assaulted "countless numbers of children." Sadly, this was the norm in Philly, Boston, LA, New York, etc. The church is complicit in the crimes against these children and hide behind the skirts of the law (statutes of limitations) every chance they get. They are a shameless bunch that will pay dearly for their crimes.

C
C

People's position will result in them being held to a higher standard...and rightfully so.

We teach our kids to "obey" a police officer.

We teach our kids to "obey" their teachers.

We teach our kids to "obey" the minister, pastor, priest, rabbi.

By doing this, we give these people open reign to our kids.

Our kids are gonna "obey" these people because they have been taught that they are persons of "authority".

It is simply more than being molested. It is the ultimate betrayal of trust, because these are the people that we have taught our children to obey.

We open the door to monsters with this type of instruction.

It's the same when it is a family member that does it.

My father taught us that there was only one thing worse than a thief....that was when the thief was a FAMILY MEMBER.

That was the lowest of low to him.

It's the betrayal.

jmho
committed

L
L

Your not the only child victim MEDC.

Recovered marriage, recovering self, life gets better everyday laugh
M
M
Originally Posted by lildoggie

Your not the only child victim MEDC.

wow...shocking. That doesn't change the FACT that your post was wrong on many levels.

Last edited by medc; 09/03/08 05:52 AM.
G
G
Yep. I registered, posted some.....kinda lost touch.

That was a good website to keep track on what was going on with "my guy".

Personally, I think the vast majority of these cases were a case of a man growing up with homosexual feelings, feeling guilty of those feelings and finding the priesthood an "avenue" with which to protect himself from fulfilling his feelings and a way of explaining away why they didn't marry. Not in all the cases, but definately in most, IMO. BUt, eventually those feelings turned to action. And unfortunately the alter kids were there and present.

THe church really blew it, big time. But, unlike what the media and anti-religion people want you to think, its NOT catholicism thats at fault here, but the HUMAN FACTOR. Even in religion, if HUMANS are involved, sin becomes inevitable. It may have turned me off to organized religion for a while, but never to the religion itself.

S
S
Originally Posted by gabagool
But, unlike what the media and anti-religion people want you to think, its NOT catholicism thats at fault here, but the HUMAN FACTOR. Even in religion, if HUMANS are involved, sin becomes inevitable. It may have turned me off to organized religion for a while, but never to the religion itself.

I always find it interesting and quite thoughtless when people try to ascribe the failings of men to God.

T
T
Originally Posted by gabagool
THe church really blew it, big time. But, unlike what the media and anti-religion people want you to think, its NOT catholicism thats at fault here, but the HUMAN FACTOR. Even in religion, if HUMANS are involved, sin becomes inevitable. It may have turned me off to organized religion for a while, but never to the religion itself.

It may be the human factor, but the question remains, how can you know? This is exactly what turned me off of organized religion. Now I keep my beliefs to myself and try to make my own way.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 672 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation