Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 26 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 25 26
F
F
I am always perplexed on this board why so much is taken as adversarial. I'm sure you are more learned in scripture than I will over be. Probably more learned in science. I just was asking about what appeared to me to be flawed logic.

It's usually because someone is not clear about what they are asking or what their intentions are.

The appearance of "flawed logic" is usually in the mind of someone who is making conclusions without adequate facts or knowledge about the subject or the position of someone else.

I have only a basic understanding of those things. I am not advocating one theorey or the other. I have never made up my mind about it either way.

May I suggest that you try being a bit more forthright in your questions and why you are asking something, rather than appearing to play the "gadfly" and appearing to "question" one view while appearing to support the opposing view.

I'm not playing games. I am poking at why you claim to be an open minded person who has reviewed data and its intrepretations on both sides of the debate and have landed on the side of creation, yet seem to imply that the only way anyone could have done the same things and landed on the side of evolution is if they are corrupt.

Yes, you are playing games. I never said anyone was "corrupt," you did. That's what I mean by you are playing games. Instead of asking WHY someone believes what they believe, you jump to conclusions that are erroneous and are not, it would appear, at all serious about why someone would choose Creationism or Evolutionism. No, you'd rather play "gadfly" and beat around the bush to get to whatever it is you want rather than ask sincere questions, especially if you DON'T know and if "I have never made up my mind about it either way" is actually true.

So let's give it one more try:
I find these statements curious. How do you reconcile randomness which is generally by nature not directed, nor purposeful, with creation?

This question indicates a lack of understanding on your part of what you were asking, or at the very least a lack of specificity in your question.

You ASSUME, in the way this question is worded, that "randomness which is generally by nature not directed," and my answer that "yes, there are random mutations in nature" MEANS that those mutations WILL result in a different "KIND" of organisn (on the level of created KINDS), or if you prefer, more complex and completely different types of life than the original organism that had a mutation in its genetic code.

But that is NOT what I said. Random mutations DO occur, but they detrimental to the organism and cause a LOSS of information, not a GAIN of information, as would be needed to "evolve" into something entirely different.

Random mutations are part of the Law of Entropy, if you will, that states things go from a state of organization to a state of less organization, NOT the other way around.

"How do you reconcile randomness which is generally by nature not directed, nor purposeful, with creation?"

To answer your question directly, I don't reconcile it with creation. I reconcile it with natural processes that operate according to the rules established by God at creation, or to be more precise, after the FALL when the whole of creation became corrupted by sin. That is one of the reasons for the existence of the First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics.

As for "natural selection," it too occurs, but it occurs within the given species. Two quick examples:

First the a moth population can go from predominantly white to predominantly black because predators EAT the more easily seen white specimens, leaving the black population to survive and predomintate. However, both color possibilities are ALREADY PRESENT in the genes and it is still a moth.

Second, Stapholococcus Aureas is normally killed by Methocillin. However, Methocillin resistant Staph has become a problem because the susceptible strain has been killed off, leaving the "super bug" MRSA (Methocillin Resistant Staph Aur.)

That is a big problem in a lot of hospitals today. But the "bug" is STILL Staph, not something else.

Long enough to allow natural selection and random genetic mutation to account for the diversity of life, as defined by the evolution theories. i.e. earth billions of years old vs several thousand.

Okay, since you didn't give a specific and just used a general time of "billions of years," I will assume that you are referring to the general estimates by evolutionary scientists of the age of the universe as the "base line" for the timeframe in which evolution is allowed to occur. Unless you object, that is the baseline I will use for the "time" component of the equations.

I understand predictive models. You are asking me to compare models and I am saying one model is constrained and the other is not, and that has more to do with the "fit" than the "correctness" of the models. Is there anything that a creation model can tell me can not exist?

I differ with your suggestion of "constraints," as evolution has some VERY BIG constraints in it by virtue OF the theory itself, and God is NOT "constrained" in what he can do. Think of it this way, if you will. A monkey is "constrained" by his innate abilities so that if you sit the monkey down at a keyboard and tell it to compose the Gettysburg Address, you will wait a very long time before you finally realize it CANNOT do that. YOU, on the other do not have that constraint, and YOU do have the ability to write the Gettysburg Address. In that sense, you may also see a little of the meaning that "Man is created in the image of God" WITH the ability to think, reason, and create according to his purpose, just as God created according to His purpose. But unlike God, WE are constrained by the limits of our physical world and universe to the Physical Laws established by God.

But constraints or not is irrelevant to the Evolution Theory, even though the proponents of evolution often go to great lengths to try to circumvent the restraints (i.e. their plea to an "Open System" as a way to try to get around the Laws of Thermodynamics). They confuse "availability of energy" with "useful work" of that energy and they do so on purpose because the Laws are FATAL to evolution unless they can find some "exception" that will allow them to continue to believe in evolution.

Okay, for having said that, let's return to your previous question;
I'm not playing games. I am poking at why you claim to be an open minded person who has reviewed data and its intrepretations on both sides of the debate and have landed on the side of creation, yet seem to imply that the only way anyone could have done the same things and landed on the side of evolution is if they are corrupt.

I have "landed" on the side of Creation BECAUSE God clearly revealed to us that HE CREATED all things.

Evolutionists say, "no, no God created anything, it all just came about by accident, with no purpose or intent, it just happened naturally."

The PHYSICAL World exists, and exists as DATA.

That is also where you seem to have gotten "off track" in your concept of a "predictions" by the two "Models" of origins.

No, the color of the sky is not the question, it is why is it that color. Darwin observed the diversity of life, (as did everyone else), and asked what could explain all this diversity.

Precisely. I'm glad to see you are understanding that basic point. But the "why" is also something you have to careful about. In the example of the "blue sky" and that most people "see" the sky as Blue, the question arises WHY the "other guy" sees the same expanse as "Magenta" instead of Blue?

Think about the possible "why's." Remember, despite what others think or say, HE is convinced that the sky really is as he perceives it...magenta, not blue. Therefore all those who believe the sky to be blue are WRONG, isn't that right?

From HIS perspective, it's not possible for the sky to actually BE blue, but that doesn't change the FACT that the sky IS blue, even though he can't see the color blue.

And that is also the condition of Man, as a result of Fall of Man and the corrupting of creation as a result of the Fall.

Were it NOT for the fact that God chose to reveal to us HOW things came into being, we wouldn't really know.

But Sin also causes Man to rebell against God and to refuse to accept even His very existence. But that position does nothing to alter the REALITY of God, nor the reality of the fact that HE created everything ON PURPOSE, by DESIGN, and for HIS purposes.

By FIRST denying God, second by denying God AS Creator, and third by seeing and acknowledging that the universe and the vast variety of life that does exist ON EARTH, they are left with ONLY one alternative to Creation by a Living, Purposeful, God. They are left with natual processes and evolution as the ONLY way that things COULD have gotten here.

In short, they ASSUME evolution is correct and then set about showing how everything MUST fit within the framework of an Evoltionary Model.

I am interested in the DATA, because the data is the same regardless of whether or not someone believes in Creation or Evolution. I am also interested in how the data is explained, especially data that is used to give evolutionists an "excuse" to teach evolution as a FACT and not as a theory.

Maybe not the numbers. Look up "Black Swans"

No, why don't you tell me why you think "Black Swans" are relevant to the discussion or how they apply to either Creation or Evolution.

Are you, in fact, arguing through the "Black Swan" idea that "Hopeful Monsters" suddenly appeared, to buttress the idea that evolution is correct?

It's getting late and I'm admittedly rather tired. So I'll wait until later to get to some of the "numbers" and difficulties with evolution, if that is okay with you.

D
D
Originally Posted by NMDreams
I hate to derail this thread by getting back to the topic of the OP, but I can't think where else to post this:
In narrower release, Bill Maher's documentary "Religulous" opened well, placing No. 10 with $3.5 million in 502 theaters, averaging $6,972. The Lionsgate release follows Maher as he travels the world to mock one of his favorite topics, organized religion.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/05/boxoffice.ap/index.html

In comparison, the movie "Expelled" on its opening weekend earned
$2,970,848 in 1,052 theaters, for an average of $2,824 per screen.

rotflmao

Oh, that was FUNNY!!!!

rotflmao

And...GOOD for Bill Maher!! Right on!! WOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Charlotte

M
M
puke

K
K
**edit**

I say that for Christians to have any credibility, they must believe the entire Bible literally. Word-for-word.

You shouldn't get to pick and choose what parts are literal, and what parts are metaphoric. If certain parts of the Bible are just too far-fetched for your liking, find a new religion. Those are the words of God, and you write them off as a metaphor? God didn't say anything about metaphors.

The people who take the Bible literally are the ones who think the Earth is 6,000 years old, and that people shared the Earth with dinosaurs.

**edit**

Who decided what parts of the Bible are literal and what parts are not?

What if the story of Noah's Ark is literal, and the story of Jesus' crucifixtion is only a metaphor?

Last edited by Revera; 10/06/08 10:16 AM. Reason: TOS

Divorced
M
M
consider the source.

K
K
**EDIT**

Last edited by Revera; 10/06/08 10:14 AM. Reason: TOS

Divorced
M
M
no, actually it is just an expression of not respecting you or your words on matters of faith or morality.

N
N
Originally Posted by medc
consider the source.

Logical fallacy:
Attacking the Person (argumentum ad hominem)

P
P
Originally Posted by ForeverHers
The appearance of "flawed logic" is usually in the mind of someone who is making conclusions without adequate facts or knowledge about the subject or the position of someone else.

My post is not directed to FH ... A List Of Fallacious Arguments is a site I often visit:

link

This site is wonderful when deciphering politicians ... wink

R
R
Please keep it respectful or this thread will be locked. Religious bashing and personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Revera01@aol.com
N
N
So many Christians seem to believe that certain parts of the Bible are not meant to be taken literally, but I say that's hogwash.

The prophecies are generally written in code, but the key is there, too. The prohecies of Daniel and Revelation both use the same code, and are the key to each other. The angel clearly told Daniel that the four beasts coming out of the sea represented four kings, for example. They were not literal monsters, but described very accurately the literal kingdoms they portrayed. (Daniel 7) Same thing with the image of Daniel 2. The image was a symbol, and the angel gave Daniel the literal interpretation of it.

When speaking to the crowds, Jesus spoke ONLY in parables. (Matthew 13:34-35) Parables are not literal, but are stories that may or may not be true, and contain a deeper (spiritual) significance. The spiritual meaning is to be taken literally, but the parables themselves were not.

Those are the only exceptions. The Bible makes very clear the few times the meaning goes beyond literal to a deep apiritual understanding. It also provides all the tools necessary to understand the symbolic portions in a literal sense.

All other parts, including creation, are intended to be taken literally.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
P
P
The literal creation limits God to man's constraints to time, when he iplicitly says "My time is not your time, My thoughts are not your thoughts".

A day to the Lord is as a Millinea to man.

To me, the earth is four billion years old and I can accept that.

If man were truly special, we would have a different makeup rather than DNA, carbon, nitrogen and oxygen.

Evolution and extinction go hand in hand, you can't have one without the other and we are extermination species at an alarming pace with nothing adapting to take their place.

I watch, and am as a sparrow alone upon the house top.
K
K
Originally Posted by Neak
All other parts, including creation, are intended to be taken literally.

That should pose quite a problem, considering some of the "highly unlikely" stories found in the Bible.

Either you accept those stories as fact, which even most Christians consider ridiculous, or you admit that parts of the Bible are fiction.

If some parts are fiction, any part could be fiction.

Divorced
F
F
Originally Posted by Krazy71
**edit**

I say that for Christians to have any credibility, they must believe the entire Bible literally. Word-for-word.

What you "say" has relevance only for yourself, Krazy. YOU do not get to place restraints on other's beliefs, especially when they DO NOT even come close to what "biblical inspiration" really means. For example, I literally believe that the Bible contains all forms of speech and that the message conveyed DOES convey the message that God inspired the authors to pen.

I DO NOT, for example, believe that God is some "big bird in the sky with wings and feathers," even though the Bible uses such a similie to describe God's care for people.

You shouldn't get to pick and choose what parts are literal, and what parts are metaphoric. If certain parts of the Bible are just too far-fetched for your liking, find a new religion. Those are the words of God, and you write them off as a metaphor? God didn't say anything about metaphors.

Don't be ridiculous, Krazy. But one thing the Bible DOES say very clearly is that unless you accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior, you WILL NOT receive forgiveness of sin and be saved. Pick and choose what you like, THAT is the primary message FROM God to all of us.

The people who take the Bible literally are the ones who think the Earth is 6,000 years old, and that people shared the Earth with dinosaurs.

Yep, just about as crazy as people who literally take the word of some "all knowledgeable scientist" who thinks that all life came into being from non-life and who think that the 1st and 2nd Law of Thermodynamics doesn't apply to life. They posit and think that everything happened by random chance and that time and statistical probability alone "proves" that everything evolved. No proof, just faith.

Who decided what parts of the Bible are literal and what parts are not?

Gee....possibly scholars? Possibly the Bible itself in many places?

And who are YOU to decide that everything must be taken "literally" rather than any other way? Who made you the authority on the Bible and/or biblical interpretation?

What if the story of Noah's Ark is literal, and the story of Jesus' crucifixtion is only a metaphor?

And what if sin doesn't exist because there is no god? What if there are NO absolute standards?

But to answer your question directly, it makes no difference if the Flood and Noah's Ark are literal or not with respect to the primary issue of the Bible, the reconcilation of Man to God because of SIN.

The Bible is equally clear about your question about the crucifixion. If Jesus Christ is NOT actually, truly, really raised physcially from the dead, then all of Christianity is false. Period. On the other hand, if it is true, then all other "belief systems" are false.

F
F
Pepperband - I would not consider disagreeing with Krazy71 to be an "ad hominem" attack because HE put himself up as "the authority" on what is supposed to be "literal" with respect to the Bible.

The "burden of proof" for his claimed right to decide that issue for others falls on him.

D
D
Evolution and extinction go hand in hand, you can't have one without the other and we are extermination species at an alarming pace with nothing adapting to take their place.

Species cannot adapt fast enough to keep up with the destruction we wreak upon the land and their habitats.

Even on Galapagos, where species evolve at a faster rate.

Yes, we'll get them all, that will be the legacy of man and WOman. Rape and pillage the land and sea until nothing remains but you and me.

Soylent Green, anyone?

Charlotte

F
F
Originally Posted by Pariah
The literal creation limits God to man's constraints to time, when he iplicitly says "My time is not your time, My thoughts are not your thoughts".

A day to the Lord is as a Millinea to man.

To me, the earth is four billion years old and I can accept that.

That's fine, Pariah, you can accept anything you want to accept.

However, you are misusing the "day/1000 years" quote and misapplying it to Creation. The words used in the Creation account are very specific and leave no room for substituting anything other than a literal "day" (24 hours or there abouts) as the delinators are clearly given (morning and evening).

Originally Posted by Pariah
If man were truly special, we would have a different makeup rather than DNA, carbon, nitrogen and oxygen.

Why? Why would anyone design something that does NOT use the elements already established? Are you perhaps arguing for a "silicon based" lifeform rather than a "carbon based" lifeform?

And humanity DOES have something truly special. It is created in the image of God and imbued with an everlasting Spirit, given life by the breath of God.

So much for evolution and natural selection I guess.

But you CAN have extinction without evolution.

Besides, from a humanistic perspective, who cares? The humanistic perspective (ala an atheistic belief) is a "live for today because there IS no tomorrow" sort of belief, "dead is dead and what matters is what I can get for myself in the here and now."

F
F
Originally Posted by Dancing_Machine
Soylent Green, anyone?

Charlotte

mmmmmm....Tasty!!! :crosseyedcrazy:

K
K
But to answer your question directly, it makes no difference if the Flood and Noah's Ark are literal or not with respect to the primary issue of the Bible, the reconcilation of Man to God because of SIN.

It makes no difference if God actually murdered the entire human race or not? Well, except for one "special" family, that is. It seems to me that it's extremely important whether or not the Christian God is capable of such an atrocity, or if somebody just thought the story "sounded cool".

Also, I've never understood why we are expected to make amends to our creator for our sins. Clearly we were designed to sin, if we were designed at all.

It's like replacing a tire with a wooden block, then blaming the car for the rough ride.

One more question I've never heard a really good answer to:

God was so upset with our behavior that he was ready to vanquish us again. Why does the brutal murder of Jesus change his mind about us?

The Bible is equally clear about your question about the crucifixion. If Jesus Christ is NOT actually, truly, really raised physcially from the dead, then all of Christianity is false. Period. On the other hand, if it is true, then all other "belief systems" are false.

Of course. That's why THAT particular story involving supernatural occurances is never regarded as a metaphor...because the entire religion is pointless if that is the case.

That's why I'm confused about why Christians are so willing to declare Noah's Ark and the story of Jonah to be metaphors. Doing so discredits the entire book, and those who authored it.

Divorced
F
F
That should pose quite a problem, considering some of the "highly unlikely" stories found in the Bible.

uh huh. Such as WHAT, in your opinion, are examples of what you consider to be "highly unlikely stories?"

And while you are at it, what about being "highly unlikely" equates to not being true?

It is highly unlikely that someone would survive a fall from an airplane when their parachute fails to open, but some people HAVE survived, as unlikely as it might appear to you.

Page 7 of 26 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 83 guests, and 69 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation