Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 26 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 25 26
K
K
Originally Posted by ForeverHers
Pepperband - I would not consider disagreeing with Krazy71 to be an "ad hominem" attack because HE put himself up as "the authority" on what is supposed to be "literal" with respect to the Bible.

The "burden of proof" for his claimed right to decide that issue for others falls on him.

That was another ad hominem attack.

Medc responded with "Consider the source".

No facts, nothing of any substance at all. Very Palin-esque.

I DID NOT put myself up as an authority on anything. I was only stating facts and asking questions. I did not say what IS or IS NOT a metaphor. I was making the point that if one part is a metaphor, any part might be.

I didn't try to decide anything for anyone, and we are not in a court of law. There is no "burden of proof". This is only a lively discussion about religion.

What would it take to prove to you (besides dying) that there is no God, no Jesus, and that the Bible is a work of fiction from cover to cover?

Divorced
P
P
Originally Posted by Pariah
The literal creation limits God to man's constraints to time, when he iplicitly says "My time is not your time, My thoughts are not your thoughts".

A day to the Lord is as a Millinea to man.

To me, the earth is four billion years old and I can accept that.

That's fine, Pariah, you can accept anything you want to accept.

However, you are misusing the "day/1000 years" quote and misapplying it to Creation. The words used in the Creation account are very specific and leave no room for substituting anything other than a literal "day" (24 hours or there abouts) as the delinators are clearly given (morning and evening).

There was no morning and evening to begin with, just the electromagnetic spectrum of light. A 24 hour day wasn't established til later, no?

When I pull fossils that have been extinct for 250 million years out of the ground and someone says "the devil" put them there to implant doubt, they have severly miscalculated his intentions.

And again, God's time is absolutely not our time, and I for one do not confine him into a thimble just because I can't fanthom 4 billion years.

If man were truly special, we would have a different makeup rather than DNA, carbon, nitrogen and oxygen.

Why? Why would anyone design something that does NOT use the elements already established? Are you perhaps arguing for a "silicon based" lifeform rather than a "carbon based" lifeform?

And humanity DOES have something truly special. It is created in the image of God and imbued with an everlasting Spirit, given life by the breath of God.

If we were created different, then we would have no room for doubt or choice. The breath of life was given to even the creeping things. We were given a soul and freedom of choice.

Even the raven cries out to God for food and the sparrow builds her nest in the temple. They KNOW their maker and he cares for them.

Besides, from a humanistic perspective, who cares? The humanistic perspective (ala an atheistic belief) is a "live for today because there IS no tomorrow" sort of belief, "dead is dead and what matters is what I can get for myself in the here and now."

We are supposed to be stewards of the creation, and we are doing a poor job because many think that we are pre-forgiven. Stewardship of the creation is one of our works that will be judged by fire and a buncha people are building with stubble social climbing their way in the church.

Last edited by Pariah; 10/06/08 11:55 AM.

I watch, and am as a sparrow alone upon the house top.
F
F
It makes no difference if God actually murdered the entire human race or not? Well, except for one "special" family, that is. It seems to me that it's extremely important whether or not the Christian God is capable of such an atrocity, or if somebody just thought the story "sounded cool".

Also, I've never understood why we are expected to make amends to our creator for our sins. Clearly we were designed to sin, if we were designed at all.

It's like replacing a tire with a wooden block, then blaming the car for the rough ride.

One more question I've never heard a really good answer to:

God was so upset with our behavior that he was ready to vanquish us again. Why does the brutal murder of Jesus change his mind about us?

Okay, Krazy. Let me put it this way, if you are seriously inquiring rather than just being argumentative because you really don't care about the answers to your questions, then I will attempt to dialogue with you about such answers. Otherwise, it's simply not worth the time just to indulge you in some "game" you might want to play.

Of course. That's why THAT particular story involving supernatural occurances is never regarded as a metaphor...because the entire religion is pointless if that is the case.

That's why I'm confused about why Christians are so willing to declare Noah's Ark and the story of Jonah to be metaphors. Doing so discredits the entire book, and those who authored it.

Krazy, Christians DON'T consider Noah's Ark and Jonah to be metaphors. They were real, literal, events that took place. Now, if you want to "lump" some folks who might "claim" to be Christians in there as the sort of "Christians" you are referring to, I can understand your confusion.

D
D
Very Palin-esque.

rotflmao

But so true!

K
K
uh huh. Such as WHAT, in your opinion, are examples of what you consider to be "highly unlikely stories?"

The entire book of Genesis and the entire book of Revelation, for starters.

Other individual stories like Noah's Ark, Jonah, the parting of the Red Sea, how the Ten Commandments came into being, the burning bush, etc.

Those are off the top of my head, and are easy to name.

And while you are at it, what about being "highly unlikely" equates to not being true?

One or two unlikely stories is one thing, but the Bible is full of such occuracnces. It's clear to me that at least some of them are probably fiction...or "not true".

It is highly unlikely that someone would survive a fall from an airplane when their parachute fails to open, but some people HAVE survived, as unlikely as it might appear to you.

Yeah, a tiny handful have. Probably fewer than a dozen since skydiving began.

Most of them just die on impact.

It seems that you're willing to believe the equivalent of 5 skydivers jumping out of the same plane at once, all 5 chutes failing to open, and all 5 living to talk about it.

Divorced
F
F
I DID NOT put myself up as an authority on anything. I was only stating facts and asking questions. I did not say what IS or IS NOT a metaphor. I was making the point that if one part is a metaphor, any part might be.

I didn't try to decide anything for anyone, and we are not in a court of law. There is no "burden of proof". This is only a lively discussion about religion.

To borrow a phrase you used with appropriate modification: very Obama-esque of you to try to deny what WAS said:

I say that for Christians to have any credibility, they must believe the entire Bible literally. Word-for-word.

Frankly, your DID put yourself up as the authority and you DID attempt to impose your opinion on others with that statement.

That is the literal truth, not an ad hominem attack.

F
F
The entire book of Genesis and the entire book of Revelation, for starters.

Other individual stories like Noah's Ark, Jonah, the parting of the Red Sea, how the Ten Commandments came into being, the burning bush, etc.

Those are off the top of my head, and are easy to name.

One or two unlikely stories is one thing, but the Bible is full of such occuracnces. It's clear to me that at least some of them are probably fiction...or "not true".

uh huh again. "Unlikely" to you, but not to me. That neither makes your belief nor mine true. What makes it true is God.

P
P
Originally Posted by Krazy71
What would it take to prove to you (besides dying) that there is no God, no Jesus, and that the Bible is a work of fiction from cover to cover?

I HAVE seen other side and met the man himself.

D
D

I HAVE seen other side and met the man himself.

NDE?

M
M
FH, I would strongly suggest that you consider the source and no longer waste your valuable time debating with those that are at best. ignorant...and at worst, evil.

M
M
There are some fools in life that think that no matter how stupid their remarks are...no matter how negative they may be about others beliefs...feel that they are due a response that addresses their idiocy. I would rather just consider the source and spend my time talking with people that have some morals.

P
P
There will always be scoffers and God haters for some reason or another.

God isn't a Pez dispenser or ATM machine that can be commanded into obedience with chants and rituals.

K
K

To borrow a phrase you used with appropriate modification: very Obama-esque of you to try to deny what WAS said:

I say that for Christians to have any credibility, they must believe the entire Bible literally. Word-for-word.

Frankly, your DID put yourself up as the authority and you DID attempt to impose your opinion on others with that statement.

That is the literal truth, not an ad hominem attack.

No, I didn't. "I say" means "I say". That doesn't mean "you should say" or "we all say". It's another way of saying "in my opinion". My only mistake was not typing "in my opinion".

How Karl Rove of you.

Divorced
Originally Posted by Dancing_Machine
Very Palin-esque.

rotflmao

But so true!

Another 2wit who can't pronounce "nuclear."

I don't vote for those.

-ol' 2long

P
P
Originally Posted by Dancing_Machine
NDE?

I don't know how to respond to you as I absolutely trust no-one about it.

Some people would be shouting from the roof tops, but I choose to keep it to myself for some reason. I am extremely uncomfortable with details as I can't even comprehend them.

I caught a bunch of indignant reaction from "upper" church members as they thought that they "deserved" a sneak peak at the other side for being so "faithful" and I was just some schmoe that got a hole blown in him.

I feel any description or mention is boasting that I got something that someone esle didn't get.

To say the least, it was a humbling experience and quite prepared me for my divorce.

K
K
Originally Posted by medc
FH, I would strongly suggest that you consider the source and no longer waste your valuable time debating with those that are at best. ignorant...and at worst, evil.

There are some fools in life that think that no matter how stupid their remarks are...no matter how negative they may be about others beliefs...feel that they are due a response that addresses their idiocy. I would rather just consider the source and spend my time talking with people that have some morals.

Congratulations...two of the nastiest posts (or personal attacks, if you prefer) on this entire thread...from a Christian?

My opinions make me ignorant, and possibly evil, huh? I smell insecurity and paranoia. Evil? Really? rotflmao

I'm stupid and immoral, too, apparently, because I don't accept fables as fact without a single shred of decent evidence...and I don't keep quiet about it.

So, why don't you bury your head in the sand, and surround yourself with like-minded individuals who will accept everything you have to say without question?

Oh...it's not Sunday yet.

Divorced
P
P
FH, you are merely being goaded into conflict so you can be labled a hypocrite.

I've seen this tactic used over and over by the other side ad naseum.

The late Joseph Campbell (author of "The Power of Myth") was a very smart man.

The Noah story is probably the most obvious example of mythology in the Bible (a monotheistic rewrite of the polytheistic Babylonian Gilgamesh flood story).

"Myth" isn't the same as "fiction". Myths exist 2 convey great truths.

-ol' 2long

K
K
There will always be scoffers and God haters for some reason or another.

God isn't a Pez dispenser or ATM machine that can be commanded into obedience with chants and rituals.

I don't hate God, because I don't hate anything that I believe to be nonexistent.

I am an organized religion hater.

Divorced
M
M

Congratulations...two of the nastiest posts (or personal attacks, if you prefer) on this entire thread...from a Christian?

My opinions make me ignorant, and possibly evil, huh? I smell insecurity and paranoia. Evil? Really? rotflmao

I'm stupid and immoral, too, apparently, because I don't accept fables as fact without a single shred of decent evidence...and I don't keep quiet about it.

So, why don't you bury your head in the sand, and surround yourself with like-minded individuals who will accept everything you have to say without question?

Oh...it's not Sunday yet.

it's funny how neither of my posts were in reply to you. One was directed to FH the other was and addition to my own post. You seem to just figure out on your own that you fit the description I laid out.

Page 8 of 26 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 83 guests, and 69 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation