Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
K
Originally Posted by joanP43
I know you do not understand and I can't expect anyone to. I wouldn't either. But I know what I can and cannot do and I cannot destroy my family, Yes I guess I am selfish.

Ah, but there you are wrong. I am an FWW who had an 18 month A 6 years ago. The A ended, not mutually, the OM ended it. After six months my H found out. For the six months prior to him finding out I was always "just" on the verge of telling him but couldn't get the nerve. The week he found out, I was in such a guilty, drunk mess (from him not knowing) that I had made my mind up to tell him.

You've already destroyed your family and your marriage, they just don't know it yet.

Y'know what, I thought when my H found out he would send me packing. Y'know what, he completely surprised me by being determined to make our marriage work. Yes, he told our adult kids and yes, they were heartbroken but they watched us put ourselves back together and I'm as close to my kids as I ever have been.

The common "world" view is that it hurts someone to know the facts of their own life. To me it is far more hurtful for your H to be an unknowning mug in all this.

I am well aware you will probably become one more WS who comes to MB, doesn't like what they hear and then leaves because the truth is hard to handle. But, you found us, so why not be one of the WS's who gets it.

Can you really look your H in the face and pretend nothing's wrong? I bet he's not the stupid mug you take him for.

S
S
you are the only person who has responded to me that has not tried to belittle me. I must say many of the people on this booard are rude and make you want to do the opposite of what they are telling me.
meaning Lifechoice

Point me to anywhere in my post where I belittled you. Blunt maybe, but I did not belittle you. Belittling would take on a whole new dimension.

Neither did anyone else belittle you. Truth is never always pretty or nice to hear. I didn't see where anyone was rude. They told you facts.
Remember..you are the one causing hurt to your family, they are the victims. People are actually telling you the truth to help you, not to be rude.

Don't tell your husband and let him find out on his own, you will definately see rude then. For your sake, I hope he doesn't find out before January.

J
J
JoanP,

You have been hearing from both sides of the street. It seems harsh, sort of closed minded doesn't it? We don't understand what you are thinking and going through. That may be true.

However, we do know a few things from years of reading and posting and that is you still want things YOUR way. You want that "independent" living occasioned by OM's presence in your life. That "independent" living will kill your marriage if it already has not.

Your H may know, he may not know. I would guess he suspects. I would guess he knows the marriage is not much really these days, because you have put your emotional efforts into OM, and not H. Your kids may have noticed a lack of attention from you.

What you don't see yet, is that other people do see. Hence the strong encouragement toward honesty. Your affair may kill your marriage, but I would bet good money it will be the lying and the deceit that really kills your H. He will have lost, he really has already lost the one person he trusts. You have no idea how bad that is.

Please read the articles on this site. Please listen to the Former Wayward Wives, FWW, on this site. They do have a clue. Listen to the folks that have been betrayed, they can offer you the perspective from your H's side of things. But, most of all listen to the folks that are encouraging you to start to live your life with honesty, compasssion, honor.

All of these things start with YOU. You have lied to yourself for over 4 years. You have lied to your H for over 4 years. You have crossed your own moral boundaries for over 4 years. You need to figure out why you did this, what did you tell yourself that made it alright to violate YOUR moral boundaries. Never mind the marriage vows, what about YOU.

You see I suspect you are a woman of principles and morals. I suspect that your behavior is not normal for you, although after 4 years it has pretty common behavior for you. You need to start all of this by being very honest with yourself. And then you need to be honest with your H.

You need to know why you really remained in this marriage. Was it simply to live off of your H while running around on him. Was it to maintain a facade for your children?

You will find that withdrawal will cease when YOUR perspective on this whole mess has changed. When it changes you will find that reading this thread will reveal no cruel remarks, no put downs, just basic honest advice. You will quite defending and start to actually reach out and grasp new information and approaches to things.

You have a long way to go. I understand that you want to wait until your son's wedding to tell your H. What are you going to tell your son and new daughter-in-law as they start their marriage? That cheating is alright as long as you don't get caught? Somehow I think if you found out your DIL was cheating on your son, you would be very very upset and have a hard time accepting her point of view.

Please keep posting, please do a lot of reading of Harley's articles, and please ask lots of questions.

God Bless,

JL

G
G
Even though the A may be over, do you still see OM if even by accident or have you been able to establish total NC?

Before I found out about FWW's A, I knew something was wrong. It created a lot of friction in the house. FWW was in such a state that she would hit the DDs with shoes at the drop of a hat. She was always on edge and angry. She was very distant toward me.

As a BS, I tell anyone that I would want to know the truth about my own life as one poster put it. I would hate anyone who knew and didn't tell me.

FWW wanted to tell me and almost did. I do believe it would have been easier on me if she had rather than the way I found out. The reason is it would have been easier to believe that she really wanted the marriage. Also not telling BH will make it very much easier to get back together with OM if you need a quick fix for the pain and suffering.

For your part, if you suffer from guilt over the A, it will eat you from the inside out so you will need to learn to differentiate pain of withdrawal from pain of guilt.

What is that about the truth shall set you free?

If you still see OM even as only an acquaintance or just bump into him by accident at Walmart, the withdrawal may last for a very long time which I think was your original question.

L
L
Joan,

Thank you, you are the only person who has responded to me that has not tried to belittle me. I must say many of the people on this board are rude and make you want to do the opposite of what they are telling me. But when you respond I can sense that you actually seem to care.

I would like to make a suggestion to you. Reread your entire thread, but read it as if people are trying to help not attack. I didn't know about this board when I first ended my A, but ended up posting on a similar one. One of the first things I learned was when something upset me it was because it was true and quite often if I read it a couple times it seemed to sink in differently.

I totally understand wanting to do the opposite when feeling attacked. I think up to this point most are just giving facts, but it's easy to read it differently than they actually meant it because infidelity is an emotionally charged issue. You also have to understand they are on the same side of betrayal as your DH and they know first hand what it feels like to be lied to and betrayed.

Part of getting rid of the guilt is confessing. You will have to carry the guilt of the secret until you do. I had no guilt whatsoever during my A (aka major entitlement) and didn't have any guilt until after my DH and I started to get along. If you already have guilt, I hate to tell you, it's probably going to get worse.

I hope you stick around and keep reading all over this site, not just on the forums. Read Dr Harley's articles about infidelity. Dr Harley's How to survive infidelity articles

I also recommend the book "After the Affair" by Janis Abrahms Spring. What I liked about her book is it has separate sections for the betrayed and the wandering spouse.

LC

Last edited by lifeschoice; 10/12/08 06:30 AM. Reason: spelling and to add a link

J
joanP43 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you to everyone. I do see what you are all saying. I'm still not sure when and how to tell him. But I think I'm going to set up an appointment for couseling to help me sort through this. I do want honesty again and I want to change how I feel about my husband. I have to say I don't love him like I know he deserves. I want to get that back again. There is so much to fix in this relationship, I do not know where to begin. But I do know one thing, I want to stay free of the OM. The chances of running into him are slim so that is good.

messed things up
L
L
Originally Posted by joanP43
Thank you to everyone. I do see what you are all saying. I'm still not sure when and how to tell him. But I think I'm going to set up an appointment for couseling to help me sort through this. I do want honesty again and I want to change how I feel about my husband. I have to say I don't love him like I know he deserves. I want to get that back again. There is so much to fix in this relationship, I do not know where to begin. But I do know one thing, I want to stay free of the OM. The chances of running into him are slim so that is good.

Individual counseling is an excellent idea! Keep working on fixing yourself and all of this really will start to make sense.

I found journaling very helpful to work through feelings and it also helped me release a lot of the garbage that cames with the territory.

LC

S
S

Very Good JP43,

It is never easy coming clean about something so hurtful. Some do it in a public place like a restaurant or park. Most prefer to do it one on one at home, which I believe is the best way. This is a personal matter and should be dealt with as such.

No doubt he will be angry, devastated, lost and confused. However I do not doubt that he has suspicions and may be in denial.
You have been depositing love units into OM's love bank and have been neglecting your husband's. Therefore you feel closer to the OM because of the feelings you invested. You have to start doing more things with your husband. Dating again so to speak. I am very glad to hear you will stay no contact with OM. That is very essential for YOUR healing.

You may be surprised by his initial reaction. Some are furious, but afraid they may totally lose you.

That's how I felt. I was furious, hurt and thought I would be losing her. She assured me it was nothing I had done, but it was all her. I wound up leaving her because she wouldn't commit to me.
She cried and begged for me to come back, but I didn't want to go through betrayal and lies anymore.
I want your marriage to survive and being honest and staying No contact will help save it

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 462 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation