Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2102592 08/01/08 10:55 PM
B
OP Offline
B
My bf and I have lived together for 5 years and have merged families. my children have been around him since forever (my oldest is 8) last night after we have a disagreement about his childish actions (out drinking with friends and family all the time) I say I don't want to get married. We've already sent out save the dates, but I have been thinking about it privately for weeks and I just don't know if it will work. I am Divorced. bf and I have had a lot of problems with OW in the past. He always said he would stop and never did until he just stopped, and he asked me to marry over a year ago. I said I would and set a date two years out. So there are no more OW and he has been holding down his job. BUT when he runs with his friends, he loses times, forgets me and other responsiblities, he breaks promises and he doesn't understand why I am upset about it. He thinks that just because he's made some pretty hefty changes ever5ything should be fine and he things that I am a nag about everything he does, especially going out. He says he doesn't like to be on a time limit (when out) and that he is just not ready to give up everything (like time out, drinking and losing time). We've been toghether for a long time, we really love each other and I am pushing towards withdrawl, because I am so scared to let him get away with this stuff - because I know marriage really changes nothing. I know it's not a win lose but I feel like if I go back to the giver he will think that this is ok. but if I stay in withdrawl maybe he'll try ow again, maybe he tried ow tonight, he just walked in the door. If I stay in withdrawl we will grow further apart. I just don't know what to do. help please.

B
B
"He says he doesn't like to be on a time limit (when out) and that he is just not ready to give up everything (like time out, drinking and losing time)."

Please believe what he is telling you. People are usually on their best behavior until they get married. He is showing you a preview of your life married to him. I hope you will cancel the wedding plans and find someone who wants to be a family man.

G
G
I know it's really sad, but I think you did the right thing in breaking the engagement. Why not move out, or make him move out if it's your place, and see if he decides to grow up? You don't want to continue to invest time and energy with a man who you may never want to marry. Besides, I doubt you want your children to think his behavior is the kind the girls should look for in a husband and the boys should emmulate as men.

Divorced.
2 Girls
Remarried 10/11/08
Widowed 11/5/08
Remarrying 12/17/15
J
J
He sounds very self-absorbed and immature. I know this makes you sad. But you are the mature person. You are thinking of your children.
Show him you are going on with your life. It might help but he sounds like a little boy.:(

P
P
Originally Posted by blueberryhill
My bf and I have lived together for 5 years and have merged families.

move out
stop having sex

if he loves/admires/respects you as a woman - he won't complain - he'll get his act together

as long as he has you willing to share his bed despite his treating you with disrespect - he is not motivated to become a better man

move out
stop having sex
just friendly dating
your vision of him is too close up
distance will sharpen your ability to see how much he values you

see which side he choses

whining/complaining - he's disrespectful - and good riddance!

Pep

L
L
If you don't like the relationship the way it is and don't want to live in the current status quo forever - definitely don't marry him!

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 153 guests, and 130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ardent Center, Lost@1969, Jmoor9090, Confused1980, Bibbyryan860
71,843 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation