Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2161726 11/20/08 10:55 PM
H
OP Offline
H
I'm looking for an attorney and have no one to ask for referrals so does anyone have tips to find a good one? Also what kind of things/questions should I have prepared for the consultation? I'm so overwhelmed I can't focus on one thing for more than 20 seconds...

F
F
Get financial records and create a list of everything you and spouse own (cost, blue book value, how title listed, etc) and owe (credit cards, lender, account #, name on account, amount, etc). Add to it as you find stuff. You can call or go online to get copies of a lot of information. List everything and note items that are important to you. The more you can assemble, the less you will have to pay the lawyer to do. Can't offer any advise on attorneys. Mine was lousy, but I was able to get a decent settlement because I had good records.

Z
Z
I would ask the clerks at the courthouse. I practiced law for 22 years. The clerks know who is good. They see these guys in action.

T
T
Most offer a free 30 minute consultation. Open the yellow pages and make a bunch of appointments for these. You will want to ask about specific divorce laws in your state. These vary so it's important to know. By the time you've spoken to 3 or 4 different lawyers, you will have a good working knowledge of what to expect, plus you will have met several to choose from.

For a divorce, you don't want want a "nice" lawyer. You want a shark. Even if you are looking at an "amicable" divorce, your stbx's lawyer could fleece you if you aren't prepared.

N
N
Also, if you use email alot, find an atty who emails to save you time and money reviewing documents. And many use paralegals to do the grunt work which can save you money.
I'd stay away from a sole practitioner, sometimes they don't have the time or staff to focus on you.

It was a marriage that never really started.
H: Conflict Avoider, NPD No communication skills (Confirmed by MC) Me: Enabler
Sep'd 12/01, D'd 08/03.
My joys and the light of my life: DD 11, DD 9
*Approach life and situations from the point of love - not from fear.*

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 822 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation