Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21779 10/18/99 03:56 PM
Y
OP Offline
Y
I've been dealing with my mid-life issues for over a year now. Yes, my wife is confused and threatened. Yes, I've been tempted to start an affair.<P>I'm presently seeing a great counselor who recommended the book "Please Understand Me" about personality and temperment types.<P>I took the Keirsey Temperment Sorter test in 1994 and discovered I was an INTJ (Intuitive Rational). I've taken it again recently on the downside of my MLC and have discovered that my base personality has shifted. I'm now an INFP (Intuitive Idealist).<P>This seemed to explain some fundamental changes in the way I view life and respond to people. Why men have MLCs to begin with, I have no idea. They just do - they are real - and they can be hard to get through.<P>If anyone isinterested in looking at their temperment type, check out this site:<BR> <A HREF="http://keirsey.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://keirsey.com/</A>

F
F
Hi Blindsided--<P>Hope that URL helps some men out there. I know the man I had an affair with earlier this year could have used it before our affair.<P>He hurt me so very badly...I am still reeling from this affair on so many different levels. <P>Oddly enough, I never considered that he was having a midlife crisis during the whole situation.<P>It's a long story, but I'll share anyway.<P>He is 49 and lives about 500 miles away. I am 37. We are both married. He for 19 years (his second marriage), me for 13 years (my first marriage. We both each have two children, exact same ages though different sexes.<P>We met on the internet on a supportive listserv for people suffering with neurobiological disorders. It was a public list...he joined, unknowingly, shortly after I did. At first we took no notice of each other, since there are literally dozens of extremely active people on that particular list. Then one day, he responded to something I had written and "the magic" began -- by magic I mean a connection. The connection grew and grew. Neither of us could anticipate where this would lead.<P>He said he had never been unfaithful. I certainly had never been unfaithful. Could never ever conceive of such a thing.<P>Our correspondence continued for months until one day we talked on the phone. Then again, then again...all the while still emailing back and forth.<P>I agree to fly down to meet him one day -- feeling sure (naive?) nothing would happen. He met me at a hotel room where we thought it would be safest -- this was close to his hometown and he didn't want anyone seeing us together.<P>We made love. It was incredible.<P>He found a new job that took him out of town for the entire week because it was far from home. I went to be with him on two occasions, for three days at a time. Again, it was magic.<P>Then, he wanted out! The affair made him realize that he still loved his wife and wanted to keep his family intact.<P>I was sincerely happy for him. I wanted only what was best for him because I loved him, I believe I still do.<P>But for me, it's been extremely difficult getting over him. The affair literally turned my life upsidedown. In many ways, it ushered in positive things for me -- too long to explain in this post -- but most of all, I miss him. Miss the friendship that sparked the whole damned affair anyway. <P>If I could turn back time, I would. The affair cost me the best friend I ever had in the world. Nothing is worth that pain. Nothing.<P>I tried to back off -- that too was extremely difficult. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. Careful not to jeopardize his marriage -- they are currently in counselling though from what I understand he had not disclosed the affair, neither have I -- I attempted to make contact...He rejected me time and time again. (I know that is for the best but the pain is so deep!) Very recently (the affair ended in June, contact in July) I emailed him and he even went so far as to do something to reject my emails automatically. Again, for the best I know. <P>All I ever wanted to do was extend a hand in friendship, but I know too, I was deluding myself.<P>I will never do this again. Nothing is worth the pain I have endured in losing this very special friendship.<P><P>------------------<BR>Take good care, Francis<BR>

Y
Y
Hey, Blindsided<P>I had my H take the test....he is INTJ..<P>Can you tell me (as a former INTJ) why he had an affair????? Because HE can't! (He is 47 years old)

Y
OP Offline
Y
This just my opinion...<P>As an INTJ, We live our lives thinking analytically and rationally. There's also a controlling element to our personality.<P>At mid-life, we become flooded with FEELINGS that we've been good at ignoring for years. It's all new and tough to manage. All these new sensations aren't rational so we don't know what to do. We feel out of control. We really have hard time understanding what's happening to us.<P>Our spouses have a lot of experience dealing with an INTJ, but don't know how to relate to this new person. A disconnect occurs.<BR>The new person is now looking for someone to connect with. The spouse has to realize THIS IS A DIFFERENT MAN and adapt if she wants to keep him.<P>Just my theory...that don't make it right

H
H
BS,<BR>I love your posts on MLC. Please continue to post as much info and personal experince as you feel comfortable with and can. My question. You say that the W must realize that this is a new man and adapt if she wants to keep him. Are you saying that this change is permanant? My H has told me he feels like he is going through a change of some sort. He will not admit it is MLC, but there has been an incrediable shift in personality. If the change is permanant does that mean so is the selfishness and self absorbancy that goes with it. My disconection from him is normal,then, according to you. I'm trying desperately to reconnect with him and I think he is with me too. Please don't stop posting. We W with H is crisis need all the info and advice we can get on this. Thanks.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 476 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation