Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Amazin #2182520 12/27/08 08:56 AM
P
P
I don't remember cold eyes.
What I remember is that he stopped singing around the house and stopped laughing.
He's back to his jovial self.

Today is H's 13th AA birthday. hurray :happynewyear:

Pepperband #2182523 12/27/08 09:16 AM
A
A
Originally Posted by Pepperband
I don't remember cold eyes.
What I remember is that he stopped singing around the house and stopped laughing.
He's back to his jovial self.

Today is H's 13th AA birthday. hurray :happynewyear:

Congrats to your husband and you too Pep. It takes a strong person to stand by an Alcoholic spouse.

I hope you are going to a meeting today. Eat some cake for me.

BH, 46
STBXWW, 41, Serial Cheater
D-Day #1 5-26-2006 (Our Wedding Aniversary)
D-Day #2 12-26-2007
D-Day #3 5-11-2008
Separated 1-5-2008
STBX filed for divorce March 2009
Amazin #2182626 12/27/08 12:51 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by Amazin
I hope you are going to a meeting today. Eat some cake for me.

Yes, we went to his "home" group meeting.
I gave him a cake, and I did not eat any (it's a 7 AM meeting !)

So, H gets up to speak and says (paraphrasing closely):

"Did I ever tell you the story about the 3-legged pig?"

Group answers: "No!"

(I groan & laugh at the same time)

H tells the story:

There was a man who went to visit a farmer friend of his. The man saw there was a 3-legged pig running around the farm.

The man asked: "What's with the 3-legged pig?"

The farmer says: "Well, that there pig is the best pig I ever owned.
One time the house caught on fire. Well sir, that pig came running into the house making such a ruckus that we all woke up and our lives were saved from the fire by that 3-legged pig."

The man says :"Wow! That's really quite a remarkable pig!"

The farmer goes on : "Yes, well that ain't all of the story. Another time I slipped and fell into the well. I would have drowned too ifin that pig had not pushed the bucket with the rope tied to it into the well where I grabbed it and the pig took the other end of that rope in his mouth, and pulled and pulled until he pulled me out of that well, ALIVE!"

The man was really impressed with that remarkable pig.
So he asked "Tell me how the pig lost a leg?"

The farmer chewed his straw and said plainly:
"Well obviously you don't eat a pig that special all at once!"

The AA group groaned.
My H went on to say:

"I was both the pig and the farmer. I was cannibalizing myself before I came to AA 13 years ago. Killing myself little by little."

It was a good meeting. dance2

Pepperband #2182628 12/27/08 01:04 PM
B
B
Pep, may you and hubby have a lifetime of such anniversaries!

Bellevue #2182671 12/27/08 03:05 PM
Q
Q
Today is H's 13th AA birthday.
Mazel Tov and Happy Birthday to your H. That is quite a feat and he should be very proud of himself as well as you for walking through it.

He's a teenager now... LOL :crosseyedcrazy:

BS 52, FWH 53, Married 1-1-84
D-day 5-14-07, WH moved in with OW
Plan A 9 months, DARK Plan B 3-17-08 until 3-2-09
WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
V
V
Yes I know exactly what you are talking about. Right after Dday and right after the separation his eyes were sad, but they quickly became the eyes of a stranger. The eyes of someone I didn't know and someone who didn't know or even want to know me. He had the eyes of a man who found me extremely unattractive. Thank god I don't see them anymore. Even when he's not happy with me.

You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

The person who is always finding fault seldom finds anything else.

I pity the fool. - Mr. T
Verve #2182736 12/27/08 07:37 PM
L
L
Originally Posted by Verve
Yes I know exactly what you are talking about. Right after Dday and right after the separation his eyes were sad, but they quickly became the eyes of a stranger. The eyes of someone I didn't know and someone who didn't know or even want to know me. He had the eyes of a man who found me extremely unattractive. Thank god I don't see them anymore. Even when he's not happy with me.

God I remember that. Being looked at and not seen. But mostly it was his face. Cold, hateful, sneering.
I remember I woke him up one night when he had gone to sleep on the couch and he looked at me and the look made me feel like the most worthless POS ever to walk the earth.
Then there was the refusal to look at me during the FR.

Now he looks and looks and it does no harm

Recovered marriage, recovering self, life gets better everyday laugh
Verve #2182737 12/27/08 07:37 PM
B
B
Thanks for the thread, believer!
I did not know how to describe what I say in my WH -- it was like he had completely become another person. He does not look the same and I guess what also was the case is that he could not look at me the same.
I wonder if he looks that way to our kids too?
I have one picture of him where he looked the way I will always fondly remember him. His eyes are so soft and kind -- just how I would have described him until the affair.
I guess that is another sign that I'm not crazy, just betrayed!
BF439

Me:BS40
WXH:42
DD15; DS13; DD6
D-day:6/30/08 & 10/25/08
WH moved out 9/15/08
D: 1/15/10

"So take that look out of here, it doesn't fit you, because it's happened, doesn't mean you've been discarded." -- Big Country from "In a Big Country."
"Keep calm and carry on." -- Winston Churchill
R
R
Glad it wasnt just me. Talking about looking at them completely, it was weird the day after D-Day. I pulled up to WW mom house and she was outside, it was like someone I didnt know. She looked like a person who I was meeting for the first time and they didnt like me very much. It was strange, glad to know I am not alone. Even now, when we talk about something she will not look me in the eye unless we get off onto something that is making us both laugh and be comfortable.

There are the occasions, though, where I will be leaving or something and I see it. I see that old look in her eyes and a sad look on her face. Almost like a look of wanting and then it disappears.

BH-me 32
WW-27
Married 5 yrs. together for 8
D2
D7
D-Day:11/10
EA for a week went PA and WW immediately left home leaving everything behind.
B
OP Offline
B
And Lil, even in his picture (that you posted the other day), he looks so much younger and relaxed!!! It is uncanny.

believer #2182871 12/28/08 07:46 AM
V
V
By the end I knew I had those eyes - to anyone looking, not just my BH. I felt protected (like no one could see inside, I was insulated and 'safe') and emotionally dead.

No pictures to compare, but interesting idea.

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
D-day: 2008
believer #2183072 12/28/08 05:38 PM
C
C
Oh yeh! I remember those eyes. Kind of like a cold, dead fish. I could tell when H finally was coming out of his drug induced A fog when his eyes literally began clearing up. I think these lyrics by The Eagles song "Lyin' Eyes" kind of sums it up.

You can't hide your lyin eyes
And your smile is a thin disguise
I thought by now you'd realize
There ain't no way to hide your lyin' eyes
There ain't no way to hide your lyin' eyes
Honey, you can't hide your lyin' eyes

believer #2183084 12/28/08 06:10 PM
F
F
My WH eyes have always been his most atractive feature. Eyes that dance and sing.

The last 3 months I have seen the cold dead eyes you all refer to-many times it looks like staring into a deep dark well with no bottom. That is if he looks at you- conversations during his attempt to come home I remember saying "look at me". He could not sustain eye contact at all.

It is amazing sometimes when we have been together for a longer period of time and are just talking about nothing relevant- those eyes start to twinkle. Almost like they use to- But then like a flash that is gone- replaced with the cold. It is like he will catch himself- remember that he is HAPPY with the OW so he couldn't possibly be with me.

My WH never has been one to anger quickly but I have seen a look in his eyes that screams "How dare You"- usually when it is evident that he is the cause of his own pain. But the anger is directed at me.

I wonder what his eyes say to the OW or does she even notice?

firenice #2183281 12/29/08 04:33 AM
We had a studio family photo taken in July this year, 6 weeks after starting the EA with OW. WH looked completely despondent.

Compared to the studio family photo taken 18 months prior, he looked completely different. His eyes were shining and alive and he looked full of life and oh so happy.

The eyes have it. I look so different now too. Before finding MB my eyes had become cold, now they are back to shining. I realised I didn't need WH to be happy on the inside smile

BS 32 (1st marriage), WH 38 (2nd marriage), DD 3, DS 1
Married Aug 2002, EA/PA 2005, NC mid 2005
EA Jun 2008, Plan A, 1 Aug 2008, WH moved out 14 Sep 08, D-Day 14 Sep 08, Moved home 2 Nov 08, moved out 30 Nov 08
Plan B, 2 Dec 08, broken 5, 11, 15 & 17 Dec 08
Current Status: Contact for visitation, children and finances.
Embarking on a new plan to Let go and Let God and to not settle for less than I deserve!
2much2lose #2183292 12/29/08 07:31 AM
A
A
After church yesterday I went to a resturant to eat. I go in... the waiter seats me. I'm eating my meal and I notice a woman get up and go into the restroom.

Hmm.... could it be?... I watch... Yep... it's my WW.... she's there with her boyfriend...

I stayed right where I was at... They had to walk right past me to pay their bill and leave. They got up and start walking toward the register... I kept my head up and my chest out.. (To steal a phrase from Mimi.) I looked them both in the eye as they walked past.... They couldn't even look at me... Both of them looked away...I watched them walk past... (head up chest out) They get up to the register. And I take my gaze off of them... Then I looked back and caught both of them looking at me... They quickly looked away again... Still couldn't look me in the eye.

She looked awful... From a distance she didn't even look like my wife. It wasn't until they were close that I was sure it was her. She's a very skinny woman and always had that mediteranian olive skin tone. She looked pastie paper white and her eyebrows looked like they had been totally plucked out ... Not even the same woman. She had that look... Battle hardened soldiers call it "The Thousand Yard Stare". It's that blank stare they get when they been on the front lines too long.

That's the first time I've seen her since... March...April?

That's the first time I've seen OM#2 up close and I'm pretty sure it's the first time he's ever seen me. Maybe a reality check for him... I'm not the grotesque disfigured monster I'm sure my WW has made me out to be...I hope they both feel real guilty right now.

Amazin #2183799 12/29/08 04:24 PM
D
D
Dang, Amazin'! What a lunch!

Yeah, I can relate. Gray and Slag are both pale and sickly...at least HE was when I last saw him up close in August. I could see him from Shiny's window last month but not that good.

Her on the other hand? Ugh! Skinny as a rail, pale as a fish belly. Claims on the stand that she lost weight because of the stress of the affair!

rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao

Wait! I think that one needs to go in the "wayward sayings" thread!

rotflmao

Good for you for doin' "tha' mimi!!" wink

Charlotte

A
A
Yeah, I can relate. Gray and Slag are both pale and sickly

She looked so pale and sickly it makes me wonder if she's been boozing again...

Good for you for doin' "tha' mimi!!"

"tha mimi"??? I didn't know it had a name.

believer #2183881 12/29/08 05:37 PM
K
K
Eyes tend to look cold when there's no functioning organ behind them.

Divorced
Amazin #2183889 12/29/08 05:44 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Amazin
Yeah, I can relate. Gray and Slag are both pale and sickly

She looked so pale and sickly it makes me wonder if she's been boozing again...

Good for you for doin' "tha' mimi!!"

"tha mimi"??? I didn't know it had a name.

It does now! wink

Charlotte

Krazy71 #2183891 12/29/08 05:45 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Krazy71
Eyes tend to look cold when there's no functioning organ behind them.

Good point!

rotflmao

But seriously, good point!

Charlotte

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 731 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation