Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
My husband has signed up for cheaters & dating sites like Ashley Madison. He has all his passwords on his desktop, so knows that I could easily access his email and web browsing history. He has almost complete access to my computer as well.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if he's doing this as a passive aggressive way to either make me jealous, or as a cry for help. We both know we are having problems & have seen a MC together & will be starting again soon. The therapist has identified that my husband shows a lot of passive aggressive behaviours. I've had some individual therapy for depression & anxiety, and he's been asked by the therapist to be patient with me until we get my meds figured (which could take months) out and get my emotions in order before we really tackle our marital problems. He's not being very patient, he gave me almost 2 weeks before he started pressuring me for sex again and acting all clingy one minute, then leaving the house in the middle of the night to "drive around" or sleeping in the guest bedroom. I cannot talk to him, he doesn't listen or misinterprets what I say -that is why I want MC, I need someone to drill into him what I'm saying -obviously still didn't work since he hasn't worked on being patient with me until I figure out my meds.

I just don't understand sites like Ashley Madison and find it so crazy that there are so many people out there looking to cheat and think it's acceptable. I don't think he's conversing with anyone on there, but why go and sign up??

Is this the intent to cheat, or just more of his passive aggressive behaviour??

Together 17 years, Married 9
Thinking of separating, terrified
6 year old son
M
M
Originally Posted by photo_mama
Is this the intent to cheat, or just more of his passive aggressive behaviour??

What a strange question, PM. I don't think he signed up on a cheaters website to get a haircut. Instead of trying to psychoanalyze him, why don't you ask him to stop?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
I agree that marriage counseling would be in order. Have you considered marriage coaching with the Harleys? They actually really DO know how to save marriages unlike most MC, who are little more than divorce facilitators. They would assess your marriage and give you a PLAN of recovery.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
OP Offline
P
The reason I don't confront him at this point is because he hasn't actually made contact with anyone on the sites yet other than a "hi" or adding to his favourites. I did confront him a few months ago when I saw in *my computer* browsing history that he'd been surfing a cheater's site. He explained it as he had clicked on a pop up and had a look around. I believed him at the time because that particular site had a lot of pop ups coming up on my computer at that time.

I don't want him to know at this point that I know what he's up to; I'd like to give it a bit of time and see if anything happens. Just a few minutes ago, he called to let me know he'll be late tonight; going to dinner & watch a hockey game with co-workers. This is very unusual for him, so you'll be sure I'm going to be checking his Ashley Madison profile in a few minutes to see if he's arranged something.

Right now couselling with Dr. Harley isn't in the cards. My husband's work provides free counselling to their employees as a benefit, but you have a rather limited number of counsellors you can choose from in the service.

Last edited by photo_mama; 01/19/09 01:50 PM.

6 year old son
M
M
PM, if you aren't going to use your intel to stop him from engaging in adultery, then what is the point? Wouldn't it make more sense to get it all out on the table and be honest? It is obvious he is trolling for chicks, you don't need his admission to know that.

Signing up on cheaters sites is wrong and he should be asked to stop. I don't see the wisdom in waiting for it to get worse.

Exposure 101

P
OP Offline
P
Aha, I think a lightbulb just went off for me. Option 3: He signed up for the sites to see if I was registered, or will register on any of them. The description he's looking for is right in my age group, not younger as I would have expected.

He signed up for another one just the other day; Plenty of Fish. The one thing that stood out to me, and really made me sad and mad was that he put that he had no children, and didn't want any. We have a 6 year old son together. frown

6 year old son
M
M
Option 3: He signed up for the sites to see if I was registered, or will register on any of them. The description he's looking for is right in my age group, not younger as I would have expected.
frown

Option 4: PhotoMama is deluding herself so she can avoid the truth frown

It sounds to me like you are trying to sell yourself a bill of goods, PM. I will say again that people don't sign up on cheaters sites to get a haircut. You seem to be willing to accept any bizarre explanation except the most obvious one.

Exposure 101

B
B
Aha, I think a lightbulb just went off for me. Option 3: He signed up for the sites to see if I was registered, or will register on any of them.

Come on now. If the lightbulb went off you are in the dark. Turn on the light.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 672 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation