Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
B
Originally Posted by rprynne
Uhhmmmm....what?

Sorry. Guess I just have a different perspective on things.

I can not accurately rate how much I want a M, that I have not either experienced or can reasonably predict the experience. All I can rate is how much I would like to experience it.

Am I wrong? You can't rate how much you like driving a Ferrari unless you have driven one. But you can say I would love to drive one.

Recovery is nothing like driving a Ferrari. Maybe the analogy is off but still...

Why would you want to commit yourself to the hard work recovery requires while you are unsure if you want the M? That doesn't make much sense.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
K
K
Rprynne,

""I can not accurately rate how much I want a M, that I have not either experienced or can reasonably predict the experience. All I can rate is how much I would like to experience it.""

So even though under your sig line you have "married 17 years",
you do not feel like you ever experienced an M(?)

So you are looking for an M that is not what you had for the first say, 13 years?

And if so, like "in a perfect world" the M would be what? Oh yeah, the Ferrari scenario doesn't let you in on it.

So when do you know if you are experiencing Nirvana? cool

kirk

CORDUROY PILLOWS ARE MAKING HEADLINES!!
J
J
rprynne,

You said
JL - I understand your point about plans or recovery and what not. But I would say, to answer those questions, it is going to require me to engage in things. That is something I have thus far been unwilling to do, so...

How is asking her if she has a plan, engaging in things. Do you plan to simply sit there on the fence and offer no opinions, no insights, and certainly no effort including simply asking questions?

Is so, why are you remaining married to her? Why did you let her come "home"? I must admit you have me confused.

What is HER plan? And how do you expect to make any changes including divorce if you don't know the score?

God Bless,

JL

T
T
Okay, I'm very confused. You have been separated 3+ years more or less? With a few false recoveries thrown in? Did you do Plan B at all? Was it dark?

I'm asking because if you didn't do Plan B and didn't set conditions to return, I am very suspicious that she is using you. Not necessarily in a cake-eating way (doesn't appear to be a current OM) but for something. And your own confusion about the situation is leaving you ripe for being taken advantage of.

You need to decide what you want. It's not "do I want to be married?" It's "do I want to be married to HER?" You need to answer this. There is nothing you can do until it is answered.

If you don't know where you are going you will end up someplace else.

S
S
Rpynne,

Gosh, you sitch and your answers to the questions you have been posed with really seem like someone not in touch with reality at all. OTOH, I have not come here to judge your reasoning or your emotions in this case.

If you’ll bear with me I would like to tell you a true story I witnessed in my lifetime.

It concerns my MIL who was abandoned after her cheating husband left her and simply moved away to the opposite coast. He never gave her CS, alimony or even a few extra bucks, because she absolutely refused to divorce him. You see, she saw him as sick, much like we view addiction and fog around here.

Over the years, I observed my MIL and her conviction about not seeing a lawyer for some sort of justice and support for the two kids she had as ludicrous. She worked three jobs to put food on the table and a roof over the head of my wife and her brother. People viewed her as pig headed and a fool.

Initially so did I, and eventually my w and I built an in law appt on the side of our house to take her in as she become older and not able to keep up. She went on disability income (as a result of the incredibly hard work she would take on to provide for the kids.)

During this time her WH(about ten years into this) came back and they attempted to R. For me it was beyond belief and much more than he deserved. However my MIL somehow managed to preserve the love for him over all those years of absence and was delighted to try once again. Within a year, he began to once again abuse her emotionally and my wife and her brother told him to pack up and leave town. He was no longer welcome in the family he abandoned years ago.

He did so, and eventually died at a very young age in his mid forties.

My MIL insisted on attending the funeral in a far away state, and when she came home, had an emotional breakdown for about two weeks. She couldn’t get off the couch. It was horrible. She was with us at the time.

The point I am trying to make after this long boring tale, is that for some, time does not matter. It’s relative when comparing the strong emotions of the heart, and sometimes has no bearing.

We are what we are, and feel what we feel.

I won’t judge what you are trying to do, but caution you, to do things in the right manner, as in MB weekends and the like. This is not going to just “pick up where we left off” and miraculously be successful. Thus your willingness to NOT become venerable and remain detached. No one wants to put their heart out their like that after nearly five years of pain. It’s unimaginable.
OTOH, miracles do happen, but it seems they need some guidance along the way. I’m sure you’ll be accused that you’ve set the bar too low, something I probably did myself, but, unless you’ve witnessed my MIL’s life, sometimes you don’t know what humility and loyalty really mean. I learned from a pro.

All Blessings,
Jerry

A
A
For the most part I hate spouting little bon mots like this, but it’s seems so apropos at the moment:

Hope is not a plan.

In case it hasn't already been spouted.

"Never forget that your pain means nothing to a WS." ~Mulan

"An ethical man knows it is wrong to cheat on his wife. A moral man will not actually do it." ~ Ducky

WS: They are who they are.

When an eel lunges out
And it bites off your snout
Thats a moray ~DS
R
rprynne Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Did you say that your wife WOULD attend a MB weekend but you WOULDN'T?

Yes.

Did you say that your wife has been reading some MB material and printed out the questionaires?

Yes.

Did you say you want to attempt recovery but don't know if you want the marriage?

Yes.

And to top it all off, you can't see that your wife wants to try and recover even if she did only come home to avoid you divorcing her (which for some reason you see as a bad thing)

I see it as a bad thing, simply because I do not like the baggage of feeling like my FWW is with me because she was going to lose me. I would have preferred she was with me because she wanted to be with me.

Me 43 BH
MT 43 WW
Married 20 years, No Kids, 2 Difficult Cats
D-day July, 2005
4.5 False Recoveries
Me - recovered
The M - recovered
M
M
Why won't you go to a MB weekend?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

R
rprynne Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
rprynne, are you taking any of the following:

1. hoochie weed

2. anti- depressants

3. mind altering narcotics:

Nope, unfortunately, I am naturally this way.

Have you considered changing that? grin

just kidding!

I'll be more direct. What would you propose I do? Kick her out? Go ahead and file for divorce?

YES!

Okay

Me 43 BH
MT 43 WW
D-day July, 2005
4.5 False Recoveries
Me - recovered
The M - recovered
R
rprynne Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Why would you want to commit yourself to the hard work recovery requires while you are unsure if you want the M? That doesn't make much sense.

I'm not trying to be sneaky or confusing about this. If we can be happily married, then I want the M. If we can not, then I don't. I do not know if we can be happily married. So I want to find that out.

Me 43 BH
MT 43 WW
D-day July, 2005
4.5 False Recoveries
Me - recovered
The M - recovered
R
rprynne Offline OP
OP Offline
R
So even though under your sig line you have "married 17 years",
you do not feel like you ever experienced an M(?)

Correct. At least not an intimate M.

So you are looking for an M that is not what you had for the first say, 13 years?

Correct again. Our M for the first 13 years was a sham.

And if so, like "in a perfect world" the M would be what?

I don't know.

Me 43 BH
MT 43 WW
D-day July, 2005
4.5 False Recoveries
Me - recovered
The M - recovered
R
rprynne Offline OP
OP Offline
R
How is asking her if she has a plan, engaging in things. Do you plan to simply sit there on the fence and offer no opinions, no insights, and certainly no effort including simply asking questions?

No that is not my plan. I mean, that's the whole point of my thread, I don't have a plan, I'm trying to figure out one. In its simplest form, I want to attempt recovery, but I also do not want to be screwed over again. Someone asked if I would be devastated if she left, and I said no. But I would be devasted if I buy into it again and get screwed over.

Is so, why are you remaining married to her? Why did you let her come "home"?

I let her come home becuase I didn't think she would come home. At that point, she had ended contact, was living with her sister and was trying to pursue some sort of long distance M with me. I was still married to her becuase at that point, I did not see any urgent need to get divorced. Meaning, I was not lonely, and did not desire to be around any women. Our finances had long been separated, I was living in my own place, we have no kids, so only thing being M'd meant at that point was that I couldn't date, so I was fine with that. But that can only last so long. So I told her, I'm lonely, I desire female companionship, I'm not willing to do this long distance M, so I'm filing for divorce. That's when she said she wanted to move back, us to move back into our house, her to quit her job, us to try to work things out. I went along with it because I thought it would be a good thing to try, but also was fully aware that it could be just another set up. So, I went along with it only to the extent, that it didn't cause any obstacles to me filing for divorce. In short, I said fine, because it wasn't going to hurt me, so what the heck.

Me 43 BH
MT 43 WW
D-day July, 2005
4.5 False Recoveries
Me - recovered
The M - recovered
R
rprynne Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Did you do Plan B at all? Was it dark?

No. (maybe a brief one, but not one that really counts). SH told me not to bother with plan B. He advised do plan A until I wanted to plan D. I did not follow his advise in that I quit plan A after our third false recovery.

I am very suspicious that she is using you.

I can't see how, but wouldn't rule it out.

Me 43 BH
MT 43 WW
D-day July, 2005
4.5 False Recoveries
Me - recovered
The M - recovered
B
B
I let her come home becuase I didn't think she would come home...I told her, I'm lonely, I desire female companionship, I'm not willing to do this long distance M, so I'm filing for divorce. That's when she said she wanted to move back, us to move back into our house, her to quit her job, us to try to work things out. I went along with it because I thought it would be a good thing to try, but also was fully aware that it could be just another set up. So, I went along with it only to the extent, that it didn't cause any obstacles to me filing for divorce. In short, I said fine, because it wasn't going to hurt me, so what the heck.

Your WW screwed you over and now wants you to financially support her and you thought what the heck because you're lonely and she made herself available? faint

Sounds like trouble to me. redflag redflag

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
R
rprynne Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Gosh, you sitch and your answers to the questions you have been posed with really seem like someone not in touch with reality at all.

Jerry,

Thanks for the story. All I can say is that I'm as in touch with reality as anyone you could meet. I just have a different perspective on many things.

Me 43 BH
MT 43 WW
D-day July, 2005
4.5 False Recoveries
Me - recovered
The M - recovered
R
rprynne Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Why won't you go to a MB weekend?

I may do that. Its like I said before, I do not want to invest if I'm going to get burned.

Me 43 BH
MT 43 WW
D-day July, 2005
4.5 False Recoveries
Me - recovered
The M - recovered
R
rprynne Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Your WW [censored] you over and now wants you to financially support her and you thought what the heck because you're lonely and she made herself available?

She is terrified of me financially supporting her. She quit a job that makes more than I do, and I make plenty of money. So, I don't think it's a money grab.

As I posted, I told her I was divorcing because I was lonely, I let her come back because it could not hurt. Why are you inferring that I let her come back because I was lonely?

Me 43 BH
MT 43 WW
D-day July, 2005
4.5 False Recoveries
Me - recovered
The M - recovered
R
rprynne Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Aphelion
For the most part I hate spouting little bon mots like this, but it’s seems so apropos at the moment:

Hope is not a plan.

In case it hasn't already been spouted.

Thanks for the reminder.

Me 43 BH
MT 43 WW
D-day July, 2005
4.5 False Recoveries
Me - recovered
The M - recovered
S
S
No that is not my plan. I mean, that's the whole point of my thread, I don't have a plan, I'm trying to figure out one. In its simplest form, I want to attempt recovery, but I also do not want to be [censored] over again. Someone asked if I would be devastated if she left, and I said no. But I would be devasted if I buy into it again and get [censored] over.

Wow R,

I understand your fear of engaging with this woman again after so long and apparently 3 false recoveries already. But your level of apathy is astounding and certainly isn't a plan. It seems you perhaps don't want people here to give you a plan, but rather, you want people to tell you "what you should do."

Only you can decide that. It seems pretty simple to me however.

You either:

1. Plan A and fully commit yourself to R with the full knowledge that you may in fact get stabbed in the heart again. This would take a lot of courage on your part.

2. You plan D and move on with your life. Not as much courage required but the "safe" choice.

Lolling around forever will not solve anything and will only make you and her miserable.

This is something that only you can decide though.

Last edited by sickwithworry; 01/23/09 11:58 AM.
T
T
As I posted, I told her I was divorcing because I was lonely, I let her come back because it could not hurt. Why are you inferring that I let her come back because I was lonely?
Okay this does not make sense. You were divorcing her because you were lonely, i.e. wanted to be free to date again, correct? Fair enough. If this is the case, how is her coming back NOT going to hurt your chances for this? Honestly, who's going to date a guy who's living with his XW? Her presence can either (a) resolve your loneliness if you pursue marital recovery or (b) exasperate your loneliness by making you even less available than you were when you were living apart.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 761 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation