Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
I need some creative Valentine's day suggestions so if you have something, throw it out there please! smile

I've done all the pedestrian stuff in the past. Flowers and candy. Pink and red balloons, etc. Dinner out. Victoria Secret gift cards. Bath and body works. I've even done some weird stuff like kitchen appliances (blenders, mixers, etc) and even RAM for her computer one year (I know, I know, but she said she needed RAM!) crazy

My wife likes gifts but she doesn't put anymore value in large gifts than small ones. She also doesn't appreciate anything too overly romantic. At one point I was thinking about a Vermont Teddy Bear (those things are super cute) but when I pitched that idea to her a few years ago, she said she didn't see the point; lame gift. skeptical

Sooooo.... If you have some good ideas, maybe a gift you've given or received in the past that was unique and awesome... help a guy out please! smile

T

(I really appreciate it!)

Age - 35
Divorce Final - 3/5/12

S - 13
S - 10
D - 8
D
dkd Offline
D
I like the idea of getting her clothes. Something that you think she would look beautiful in, that she would wear, or something she would want but wouldn't buy for herself. Do it as a way of showing her that you think she's beautiful, not that you think she needs a wardrobe change or that you'd like her to wear it for your own selfish needs.

It's not creative, but I think it's a good idea in a lot of cases.

Me 38
Divorced 8/09
DS 10,6
DD 4
C
C
I'm a book lover, so I always appreciate a nice hardback of one of my favorite authors, or some strange volume of reference (Nag Hammadi Scriptures was a good one), and the most recent loved present was a double bookshelf my H built for me. They all show me that he pays attention to what I like.

Can you think of anything based on your wife's interests that would be uber thoughtful? Anything she's admired lately but would never buy for herself? Anything she's said she would like to do but hasn't found the time, hasn't taken the step? I'd like a gift of a watercolor class with him taking over the kids during it, but that's me. Your wife's interests are surely unique.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
S
S
A day (or hour) at the spa is always nice. If you give her a gift certificate, she can choose a manicure/pedicure, massage, or facial, etc.

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by canwemakeit
Anything she's admired lately but would never buy for herself?

Yeah she has but like a fool, I bought it and gave it to her last night instead.... lol...

Naughty Monkey Purple Pumps

I'll think, maybe I can come up with something. I like the spa idea, that might work.

Last edited by tccoastguard; 02/05/09 12:38 PM.

Age - 35
Divorce Final - 3/5/12

S - 13
S - 10
D - 8
C
C
Suh-weet shoes! *swoons*

You buy shoes for your woman and you're asking our advice? C'mon! You should be teaching gift-giving lessons. smile

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
B
B
Spa services are always a thumbs up with me. How about something fun like a concert, comedy club or sky diving?

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by canwemakeit
Suh-weet shoes! *swoons*

You buy shoes for your woman and you're asking our advice? C'mon! You should be teaching gift-giving lessons. smile

Heck, she's been going on and on about those shoes for the past three weeks; she practically drew me a map! In fact, she did! I ordered them after she about lost her mind on how cheap they were on amazon... grin

Age - 35
Divorce Final - 3/5/12

S - 13
S - 10
D - 8
S
S
A couple of years ago for Valentine's Day i did a sort of "treasure hunt" so to say for my H.

I wrote four or five little four sentence poems that lead him to different locations in the house until he got to his gift.

Here is an example of the first one "Roses are red, violets are blue, when you get to your razor, you will find another clue....

His gift technically was for both of us as it was a sexy nightie wink .

G
G
What does she enjoy doing with her spare time? I like to read so when my H got me a B&N gift card I was very happy because he paid attention to what made me happy. One year my H surprised me with the largest Vermont Teddy Bear. When I saw the bill I got after him on how could he spend $200 on a Teddy Bear. Needless to say I still have the Teddy Bear in my bedroom. One day I may come to appreciate it.

GG

me - 47
H - 46
DS 16 - DD 13
H EA August 2007
"Anger makes you smaller, while forgiveness forces you to grow beyond what you were." Cherie Carter
G
G
What about a written invitation to a romantic evening with you, a sexy nighty and his/her KY gel (does it really work?)?

me - 47
H - 46
DS 16 - DD 13
H EA August 2007
"Anger makes you smaller, while forgiveness forces you to grow beyond what you were." Cherie Carter
C
C
Tick-tock...

What did you decide on?

(Oscar Wilde)
J
J
I like the treasure hunt idea. With maybe a small inexpensive gift at each clue. The teddy bear thing doesn't do anything for me either. They're sweet and all but I'm past the stuffed bears.

I also like the idea of a night, or 2, away from the house and the kids. Google "Romantice Getaways" and make a reservation for a few weeks from now. THat way you can both spend at least part of Valentines day with the kids but still get something that you both will enjoy blush

Me46
FWH42
Married 19 yrs
EA 4/07 - 4/08
(Confirmed by polygraph that it had not gone PA)
Dday1 4/13/08
Dday2 8/8/08
S26
S16
D10
Trying to Recover
T
OP Offline
T
Alright, here's what I'm doing:

I'm incorporating a few different ideas. I'm doing a combined mother/daughter treasure hunt as suggested with little clues scattered all over the house. I think I'm going to be doing six clues to make it fun but not "too much".

At the end my daughter will find a Vermont Teddy Bear. She's three and has been asking for one for the past month or so. Says she wants something to sleep with. smile

My wife will find a Victoria Secret's Gift box with PINK paraphernalia. So nothing "crazy", just Vicky's lounge wear which she LOVES to wear around the house. There's also some assorted lotions, her favorite chocolates and "cupid" corn (valentinized candy corn) which she also loves.

So nothing outrageous since we're on a definite budget this year but hopefully thoughtful enough. Everything is wrapped nicely with balloons attached, etc. smile

I will say this was pretty hard finding Valentine's appropriate stuff. The things she's been talking about and wanting aren't things you'd consider appropriate. For example she wants a Wii Fit but.... that's not an appropriate "I love you" gift me thinks. "I love you.... when you exercise." lol... She's been also wanting a Nintendo DS (go figure) but that's something I plan on buying her for her birthday so... gotta wait! smile

T

Age - 35
Divorce Final - 3/5/12

S - 13
S - 10
D - 8
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Ggirl615
What about a written invitation to a romantic evening with you, a sexy nighty and his/her KY gel (does it really work?)?

Well.... yes. It does work, more for her than it does for him, FYI. It's more "gentle" than the Durex "Tingly" stuff which (excuse the explicitness) she says works really well but personally burns on me.... badly! cry

T

Age - 35
Divorce Final - 3/5/12

S - 13
S - 10
D - 8
G
G
T,
Thanks. My H wanted to try it but I thought it might be a marketing gimmick.

GG

me - 47
H - 46
DS 16 - DD 13
H EA August 2007
N
N
TC, what I learned in my time here at MB was that it's okay to ask my H what he would like. I used to drive myself nuts, thinking if I got just the right thing, he'd be happy. Now he is happy, without the going nuts part in the middle.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
T
OP Offline
T
Twas a big hit all around. smile

Thanks for the suggestions!

T

Age - 35
Divorce Final - 3/5/12

S - 13
S - 10
D - 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 597 guests, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation