Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2213220 02/13/09 07:40 PM
D
debanne Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Like all of you, I can't believe that I'm in the position to be writing on this board. My husband and I have been together for 16 years. There have been problems in our marriage, but he never spoke up about just how unhappy he's been about certain things. I've been a lunatic - going through menopause, and he's just turned 53. Recently, he's gotten into Facebook and had a small reunion at the end of January with some of his pals from High School. Evidently, one of those people was a woman who he is now involved with. From what I know, they met that once and began communication via email and phone. 2 weeks into the "connection" she was sending emails and text messages declaring her love for him. I found one of these messages last Friday night and confronted him. He told me that he has been unhappy for a long time and that he met someone who he thought there was a real possibility with. He said that there had been no physical contact and that they had decided that it was imperative that things go slowly. He had planned to stay with me, go to therapy, possibly go to therapy with me and see where things were at. I said that was fine - we could do all of that right now, but he had to let go of this woman. No deal.
My husband is sober for almost 8 years, but he seems to be in a frenzied addiction to this woman. A few days after I found out, he spent the night with her. Then, I snooped and found a love letter professing undying devotion and planning to spend their lives together. Remember - although he went to HS with her, they only first met up again at the end of January. So, his decision that he had found "his girl" and that his life has finally brought him to his true love has been made after 3 weeks and 2 meetings.
Needless to say, I'm devastated to the point where I'm not eating, constantly crying and terrified that he is leaving forever. He has been staying in the guest room and is moving out tomorrow. He'll be staying in a friends guest room for a while. He is not financially stable right now, due to the economy and no one can imagine how he plans to survive. I understand that she is a sparkly drug right now and nothing in the world can convince him that she isn't what he's been looking for his whole life.
He wrote me a gut-wrenchingly beautiful letter yesterday about our 16 years together and how he must move on. Our relationship has been troubled and we are very dependent on one another. He says that he wants to stand on his own two feet, but he's clearly not doing that. Despite the problems, we have always been a very bonded team. No one who knows us can believe this is happening.
I want him back, and that's the bottom line. Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated, and thank you for reading my long post.

S
S
debanne,

I just wanted to say welcolm to the MB forums.

I'm not sure how to advise you but did want to respond to your thread.

You stated that your H has been sober for eight years. Did you meet and marry your H when he was not so?

A lifetime addict to either drugs or alcohol can often wake up in sobriety and become a completely different person, due to a look at life with a new set of eyes.

Reach out to Mel, she could probably advise you far better than I.

I had a brief period of being sober for 16 years. Since it was a period, it was brief!

Big difference between that and a lifetime commitment.

All Blessings,
Jerry

M
M
Welcome to MB....so sorry you are here.

I'm guessing that he's not working a sobriety program such as AA and, thus, he's just a dry drunk. This "relationship"/adultery is addiction transfer. His new crutch to escape life.

Have you exposed? Particularly to his sponsor, if he has one. Also consider OWH and family, your family, his family, your mature kids, etc. You are going to need help breaking this one. Getting him to drop alcohol took 30 plus years.

Mr. Wondering

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
D
debanne Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Actually, my husband is a very active member of AA. He attends meetings frequently and has several sponsees. However, the reason that I mentioned his sobriety is because I'm wondering if the intensity of his attachment to this woman after such a short period of time is somehow linked to his addictive personality. Deep inside I know that it most likely won't last - he's middle aged and in a crisis - but I'm terrified.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation