Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
K
Yes, we did t/j didn't we. Oops.

P
P
Originally Posted by sickwithworry
Originally Posted by piojitos
Don't think in absolutes. Think more in terms of a bell curve - the majority toward the middle and the minorities on the edges. Aphelion and his WW are each on one extreme of their respective curves but he believes he is in the middle.

but in the center of the bell curve seems to be the data that most of these things don't work out happily. Isn't that true?

I'm not claiming to be an expert on the issue but if you examine ALL data, I suspect it likely is true. What I mean by "all" data is that you take into account all marriages where infidelity has occurred. I think I heard a statistic that something like over 50% of such marriages go straight to divorce and that 50+% has to be included. I do believe the percentage of those who successfully and happily recover are toward one end of the curve. If you limit your sample to only those couples who have tried reconciliation or, even worse, those that have tried the MB approach, then I think it gives a much more pessimistic view.

Look at how many registered users there are on this site. Look how many regularly post. Most that fail don't continue to post but there are also those that succeed that decide to "move on" and no longer post. What would be interesting is to know of all the registered users, what percentage D'd, stayed in the M but unhappily, recovered and are happy, etc. I think Glass, Pittman, et.al. do offer statistics but, since most M's hit by infidelity go straight to D, there will never be a true representative sample. This would also be heavily skewed by culture/nationality. Knowing something about Mexico, for example, I don't believe statistics developed in the US could be applied in Mexico because the cultural attitude to marriage, religion and infidelity is so different.

Z
Z
Couple of things. First , I agree, the chances of a marriage surviving are pretty low, even by Harley's admission. Most plan A's do not work and Plan B has even less success. They may give the best chance, but it is still a longshot. I've read several stats in the 30% range, which seem consistent with Harley's figure, near as I can tell.
My own therapist who practices a lot in this area says he sees about 10% stay together, and these are folks that, intially, are at least motivated to try. Many just get out right away.
Second, I have no way of knowing if some WW's feel remorse and pain. I have never seen it from my tow XWWs, so I have some doubts.
I do feel, that if they do feel pain, it is qwarfed by the pain they have inflicted on the BS. I think a person capable of a LTA is fundamentally different than those who don't go that route. It takes so much lying and deceit and disregard for others that it seems improbable that they have normal levels of empathy or integrity. So, I wonder what those that claim remorse feel and whether it stems more from regret at being caught vs feeling bad for the BS.

B
B
It's only been a few months HiP. Your WW may never feel remorse but I'd bet she's not going to have a rosy life either. Miserable? I don't know but given that she's a user, has poor coping mechanisms, and believes a POSOM is a good guy...I do believe it will catch up with her one day. It may take years, it may take decades but odds are against her given her messed up mentality.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
H
OP Offline
H
Just fighting and living for my kids right now. Can't even think of getting into any relationship of my own - not now, not in the future! Living and taking one day at a time. Trying hard to get my interests in my most beloved hobbies resurrected.

I have even quit my job, as unfortunate as it is, given this terrible economy.

What beats me, is how can any court, or any jury ever think that a wh*ring spouse is capable of taking good care of the kids? Even 50%? My wh*ring wife was getting it off for 5 hours in her car while I was attending my daughters big school play, and all my daughter could ever focus on was the empty seat besides me - her Mom never showed up. We caught up with her later at home - looking pretty exhausted - since the s*x had been ravaging for her body. And now, the judicial system claims that same woman can take care of my kids? What a joke!

Me: 42
WW: 41
Married: 16 years
Known each other: 21 years
S12 D10.5
A Started: Nov 8, 2008
First Discovery: Dec 26th ("Just a Friend" excuse)
Big D-day: Jan 10th (Recorded evidence of full-blown A)
WW Moved out: Feb 1st, 2009.
Plan B started: Feb 13th, 2009.
D Papers served on me by WW: Feb 17th, 2009.
Plan B currently blown, A continues!
WW moved back into home: Feb 23rd, 2009.
M
M
Originally Posted by Zelmo
So, I wonder what those that claim remorse feel and whether it stems more from regret at being caught vs feeling bad for the BS.

Obviously I can only speak for myself, but I can tell you that there hasn't been a day that's gone by in 4 years that I haven't thought about what I did, and I wonder if there ever will come a day that I don't think about it...I'm beginning to think that is part of the consequences...For me it certainly isn't about regretting being caught...I'm soooooooooooo THANKFUL that I was caught and stopped...I regret DEEPLY what I put Mr. W through...I've read his journals from my wayward time period and I promise you that I feel CRUSHED that I did that to him...I shudder to think the amount of damage that I would have caused our dd if I had continued on the very destructive wayward path...I also feel great embarrassment that I ever acted that sleazy, immature, cruel...and so many other negative adjectives...Additionally, I feel HUGE amounts of awe for Mr. W's strength, mercy, forgiveness and grace...

So yes, I believe that if a FWS truly repents they do feel great amounts of soul searing remorse...

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

Z
Z
Originally Posted by MrsWondering
So, I wonder what those that claim remorse feel and whether it stems more from regret at being caught vs feeling bad for the BS.

Obviously I can only speak for myself, but I can tell you that there hasn't been a day that's gone by in 4 years that I haven't thought about what I did, and I wonder if there ever will come a day that I don't think about it...I'm beginning to think that is part of the consequences...For me it certainly isn't about regretting being caught...I'm soooooooooooo THANKFUL that I was caught and stopped...I regret DEEPLY what I put Mr. W through...I've read his journals from my wayward time period and I promise you that I feel CRUSHED that I did that to him...I shudder to think the amount of damage that I would have caused our dd if I had continued on the very destructive wayward path...I also feel great embarrassment that I ever acted that sleazy, immature, cruel...and so many other negative adjectives...Additionally, I feel HUGE amounts of awe for Mr. W's strength, mercy, forgiveness and grace...

So yes, I believe that if a FWS truly repents they do feel great amounts of soul searing remorse...

Mrs. W

Well, then I do not understand how you were capable of doing this to him in the first place, then. I have no reason to doubt you. But, it is confounding trying to understand why someone capable of feeling remorse does this for so long. There must be some explanation but I can't understand it. It is like robbing a bank or some other egregious offense. Can a good person really do this?

M
M
Originally Posted by MrsWondering

Mrs. W

Well, then I do not understand how you were capable of doing this to him in the first place, then. I have no reason to doubt you. But, it is confounding trying to understand why someone capable of feeling remorse does this for so long. There must be some explanation but I can't understand it. It is like robbing a bank or some other egregious offense. Can a good person really do this?

Well yes, Zelmo, it baffles the heck out of me as well...I will tell you that both Mr. W and I were quite liberal...saw the "gray" in things before this happened...proudly called ourselves "open-minded" and other bumper sticker stuff like that...ugh...We believed we could be "friends" with our ex boyfriends/girlfriends - have opposite sex friends...We were naive about that...I came very close to being the BS myself...Mr. W propositioned one of our staff who THANKFULLY said "no"...My affair came later...it was with my old high school/college boyfriend...When he contacted me thru classmates I told Mr. W that day...Many of our conversations were held with Mr. W in the same room...the slope got too slippery...it was a MISERABLY BAD PLAN to be talking to an ex boyfriend that I'd had a past sexual relationship with...DUH!!! (hindsight is crystal clear of course)

Yes, I do believe that "good people" can succumb to temptation...The key is never putting yourself in temptation's way, yes? So, now we know...ugh...I'd give anything to have learned this another way...

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

S
S
Mrs. W,

along the lines of this thread can you try to explain something for me? Do you have any explanation or reason why you "got it" and became remorseful and changed but so many others don't?

I guess also, do you have a theory as to the thoughts of so many WS's who never repent? Do you think it's stubborn pride? Do you think they do feel bad but can't admit it?

Do you think that the A trnasforms their brains' DNA forever and forever clouds their sense of right and wrong? Do you think they maybe feel like they can't ever be forgiven, so why try?

Have you ever spoken to a repentent and an unrepentent WS and seen the difference in their thinking and questioned it?

I know this is a tough, and perhaps idiotic question. I mean I know you can't speak for all. I was just wondering if you had a theory?

SWW

Last edited by sickwithworry; 05/09/09 04:37 PM.
M
M
Originally Posted by sickwithworry
Mrs. W,

along the lines of this thread can you try to explain something for me? Do you have any explanation or reason why you "got it" and became remorseful and changed but so many others don't?

I guess also, do you have a theory as to the thoughts of so many WS's who never repent? Do you think it's stubborn pride? Do you think they do feel bad but can't admit it?

Do you think that the A trnasforms their brains' DNA forever and forever clouds their sense of right and wrong? Do you think they maybe feel like they can't ever be forgiven, so why try?

Have you ever spoken to a repentent and an unrepentent WS and seen the difference in their thinking and questioned it?

I know this is a tough, and perhaps idiotic question. I mean I know you can't speak for all. I was just wondering if you had a theory?

SWW

Hi SWW...Just a few light questions, eh? grin I'll give it a shot...

MANY, MANY times I read the stories here and say, "There but for the grace of God go I"...I too have wondered why I was "spared"...This is what I've come up with in my thoughts on it...

1. I had a heck of a time leading a "double life" and got caught very quickly which meant less entrenchment...It was about a 3 month affair and it was long distance...I literally acted so crazy that it was impossible not to know something was up with me...I had always been an open book to the extreme, so when I wasn't suddenly it was glaringly obvious that something was going on...Dishonesty was not something that came easily for me at all...this was an aberration of character for me...I do feel blessed that I was granted the opportunity to see and repent for not just the affair, but for other sins as well...repentence is such an incredible gift...

2. I have a VERY moral mother who stood by Mr. W and was instrumental in ending my affair...She is NOT one of those moms that would ever say "whatever makes you happy"...She and Mr. W conspired on just what to do, and then my mom called OM (who she'd known since we were kids) with some MAJOR legitimate threats telling him to "End it now, WITHOUT telling Mrs. W why, or ELSE"...And he did...and I didn't know about that for about 1.5 years after the fact. (Thank God...that was information that foggy me didn't need to know at the time.) My mom and Mr. W saved me and our family from me! God bless them...

3. I grew up in a home where problems were "swept under the rug" and it drove me CRAZY...(my father had Bipolar Disorder and refused treatment always)...I KNEW what not dealing with things head on would do to a family...For that reason I recognized that this (affair recovery) HAD to be dealt with properly...You couldn't just ignore it and hope that it would go away...

4. I am a Christian...In the affair I was tormented by the fact that I was in active rebellion to God...I couldn't pray or even read Christian fiction...I had to work HARD to push God from my mind...When the whole thing came crashing down I KNEW that I had much to repent for...I was ashamed...And back again to my incredible mom...I often hear her voice in my head saying, "times may change, but morals never do"...and it brings to mind Proverbs 22:6 (NIV), "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."

5. Mr. W is a BIG reason that I got it...and I can't likely do justice to all the whys of that in writing either...I wish I could...First, he's an amazing guy...it was REAL TOUGH to do a history rewrite about him so that I could justify what I was doing...ESPECIALLY when he began Plan A...He was also fantastic at feeding me stuff that he knew would get back to OM that would attack his insecurites...(Mr. W is an evil genius grin)...Mr. W is a very calm and confident guy...He has never once yelled at me or called me a name - he comforted me and showed me empathy when I certainly didn't deserve it...He listened to such major fog and never even flinched...a lesser man would have crumbled...He loved me when I was at my most unlovable...You know it's real hard to not be incredibly sorry that you did something so heinous to someone so wonderful...all the bogus rationalizations and justifications fall away very quickly in the face of such amazing grace...

As far as other WSs go, gosh, that's a tall order and I'm not really qualified to answer, but I suppose my theory is that perhaps they were not raised with much moral guidance...had parents that were all about "follow your heart"..."whatever makes you happy"? I honestly don't know...I can only tell you that I am so grateful that I was spared...I most assuredly did not deserve to be...

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

S
S
I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to write that Mrs. W.

SWW

J
J
Read my update. I'm one who is divorced and my xh was one of the WORST WS's imho ever here.

My xh not only cheated on me, but after our divorce and his immediate remarriage he CONTINUED cheating on her..the x ow. FOR THE LAST FIVE YEARS.

Hmmm. what broke him? Well imho unless the family and friends OPENLY CALL OUT and tell the WS and tell them of their displeasure with the cheating and ema's it will continue. They have to FEEL some pain and or loss of something dear.

It had to be exteme for my now xh to change.

A year and a half ago he had a near death experience involving a long hospital stay and a flight on life flight to save him. Did that work? Nah.

What did? Total revocation of his freedom due to his own choices and actions. He's in jail now due to another WS deed..involving he said/she said with yet another ow.

It depends on the person..but the more dastardly the deeds of the WS to me equals the absence of moral compass and conscience. My xh was as about a dastardly WH as one could come by.

God's got a great sense of humor!
XH: WS extroidinaire..remarried ow 1 day after divorce (1/1/04); been cheating on ow/w since day 1 and they are in process of divorcing
Me: thirtysomething, baseball mom of a 10 y.o. DS, happy, moved on. Should be engaged to wonderful guy any day now. Currently reading HNHN together. Building a foundation on truth, love, and family \:\)
H
OP Offline
H
Mrs. W you are *very* lucky to have such a Mom. My WW's Mom shot back with "She's finding happiness". My immediate thoughts to that were: she's probably slept around too in her days.

Still trying to come to terms with how my whole life has changed in less than 6 months - my dreams, hopes, fears, stresses, everything! Shattered!

Me: 42
WW: 41
Married: 16 years
Known each other: 21 years
S12 D10.5
A Started: Nov 8, 2008
First Discovery: Dec 26th ("Just a Friend" excuse)
Big D-day: Jan 10th (Recorded evidence of full-blown A)
WW Moved out: Feb 1st, 2009.
Plan B started: Feb 13th, 2009.
D Papers served on me by WW: Feb 17th, 2009.
Plan B currently blown, A continues!
WW moved back into home: Feb 23rd, 2009.
S
S
Originally Posted by KiwiJ
Originally Posted by Aphelion
Originally Posted by gg615
If you are asking about while in R, for WSs the remorse comes when their EN are met and there are no LBs (and no longer in the fog). That is when they grasp the damage that was done and truly feel shame for putting their spouse through it all. If you're writing about WS who choose OM/OW, they may never grasp remorse because they are selfish. If it doesn't workout with OM/OW then they remember what they had and may start to feel remorse, pain. I've seen that happen repeatedly here.

No it doesn’t. Not anywhere I have seen. Here or irl.

Let’s get real. WW never ever directly feel the pain of what they have done. They don’t feel any pain when they are causing it. They don’t feel it when they stop causing it. They don’t feel any pain when they start up again. They don’t even feel this pain when they themselves get betrayed. They don’t feel it on their deathbed.

Your words do not happen in recovery, do not happen if D, do not happen when the adultery ends, they simply do not happen. This is wishful thinking. They don’t feel the pain of what they have done to you even when they themselves think they get it.

Aphelion, you are REALLY starting to get on my nerves. I mean REEEEEEALLY getting on my nerves. Stop using YOUR situation to describe everyone else. It's getting really old.

I agree...the dire scenario Aphelion presents is a slim exception to the rule. And who would ever want to be with someone who was that inacapable of self-reflection, self-improvement, and empathy anyway?

xWW:
Secret LTA w/ thrice married OM at her workplace; EA/PA starts ~ 2005-6
Files & completes D - 2007, OM/OMW#3 D - 2007, Affairage - immediately thereafter
Disappears in 2006 w/o even a goodbye to anyone, Never a paragraph of real truth ever spoken
Me/xBH:
M "for life", Suspicions (denied) & desperate Plan A latter-half '06
1st D-day 1/07, full truth D-day 7/08 (all via 3rd parties)
NC w/ xWW 8/08-date, better off w/o unrepentant vileness, betrayal, & rampant deceit in my life anymore
P
P
Mr. W is an evil genius

Mrs W,

It's uncanny how I am always in agreement with you.

P
P
I agree...the dire scenario Aphelion presents is a slim exception to the rule. And who would ever want to be with someone who was that inacapable of self-reflection, self-improvement, and empathy anyway?

It's not just that (and I agree BTW). It is bordering on asocial. This is a personality that could end up on CNN. I'm glad I don't live near someone like this. Seriously. For my childrens' sake.

S
S
First , I agree, the chances of a marriage surviving are pretty low, even by Harley's admission. Most plan A's do not work and Plan B has even less success. They may give the best chance, but it is still a longshot. I've read several stats in the 30% range, which seem consistent with Harley's figure, near as I can tell.
My own therapist who practices a lot in this area says he sees about 10% stay together, and these are folks that, intially, are at least motivated to try. Many just get out right away.

I do agree that likely less than half of marriages affected by infidelity survive and truly recover. My guess is that a subset of these (confessed ONSs, short-term romantic flings, i.e. a few months, that are over and admitted to the BS) have much higher "successful recovery" rates. Among the subset we see here on MB most often--ongoing romantic affairs with unrepentent, completely-fogged-up WSs--I would estimate that 2/3rds or more end in divorce...with a small percentage of these couples re-marrying each other later (I think I read a figure of 12% somewhere for this scenario). As a general guide, I would say the following:

1. The longer the affair was/is, the less likely recovery ensues.

2. If the affair is ongoing (as opposed to ending/ended) at the time of admission/discovery, the less likely recovery ensues.

3. If the WS is in continuing "unrepentent lie-and-deny mode" (as opposed to displaying at least some measure of confession & contrition), the less likely recovery ensues.

4. The less "outside pressures" & negative consequences (disapproval by children/family/friends, financial/career implications, social ostracization, etc.) that are available to bring to bear via exposure, the less likely recovery ensues.

5. The more tightly involved (i.e. 'in-love' as well) the OP is, the less likely recovery ensues.

6. The more highly romantic (i.e. strong belief in the over-riding value of 'feelings') the WS is, the less likely recovery ensues.

7. The longer the affair-partners knew each other platonically beforehand, the less likely recovery ensues.

8. If the affairee is the WIFE, the less likely recovery ensues.

xWW:
Files & completes D - 2007, OM/OMW#3 D - 2007, Affairage - immediately thereafter
Disappears in 2006 w/o even a goodbye to anyone, Never a paragraph of real truth ever spoken
Me/xBH:
NC w/ xWW 8/08-date, better off w/o unrepentant vileness, betrayal, & rampant deceit in my life anymore
P
P
Do you define recovery as simply not getting divorced, in limbo or as a truly happy marriage in the above assessment?

S
S
Second, I have no way of knowing if some WW's feel remorse and pain. I have never seen it from my tow XWWs, so I have some doubts.
I do feel, that if they do feel pain, it is qwarfed by the pain they have inflicted on the BS. I think a person capable of a LTA is fundamentally different than those who don't go that route. It takes so much lying and deceit and disregard for others that it seems improbable that they have normal levels of empathy or integrity. So, I wonder what those that claim remorse feel and whether it stems more from regret at being caught vs feeling bad for the BS.

Actually, the stats from studies & surveys on this are fairly compelling. Looking at people who left their marriages for affairs, 85% admit to regret and remorse for doing so 3-5 years out from divorce. I doubt even they can ever fully appreciate the magnitude of the pain the BS has been through and I would guess that many don't really want to know and don't want to face it.

Cold comfort for the BS: feeling (often long-delayed) remorse for the anguish they inflicted and having regret for "not doing things differently back then" is NOT the same thing as the WS/xWS truly and genuinely attempting reconciliation. There are many reasons for this--the BS/xBS doesn't want them back, the xBS has re-married or is serious with someone, the WS/xWS can't bring themselves to express these thoughts TO their BS/xBS, the xWS goes on to someone new after their A ends, and so on and so on.

I know personally of several WS who left for an affair and now wish they hadn't after finding out that "the grass wasn't so green" after all. I even knew of 2 xWS who attempted to reconcile with their xBS after their (predictably) failed affair-marriages...their original spouses wanted nothing to do with them anymore.

xWW:
Me/xBH:
Z
Z
First, thenk you for the explanation Mrs W.
Along the lines of what SDCW says, I read an anlogy that made sense to me.The author compared the aftermath of an affair and its effect on a relationship to having a flat tire. If immediate attention is paid, like remorse, transparency, ownership and couseling, it is like fixing the flat before driving on it extensively. But, when the WS coninues to lie, gets defensive and abusive, it is like continuing to drive on the tire. It gets shredded and the rim is damaged.
My first wife was a serial cheater. She never confessed or apologized until my son confronted her with information he had solicited from me when he got older. I , misguidedly, had tried to protect her image to him and had never given him the info he deserved(of course , he was 4 when I found out.
Then 7 years after the divorce, when she found he now knew, she came to me an apolgized. I had no feelings for her anymore and when she told me she still loved me, I felt nothing but pity and some anger.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 963 guests, and 78 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation