Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
OP Offline
S
Please see the latest from our prized horse's mouth. Dr Harley has just given his views on the concept of MLC over on 101.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
barbiecat:

I don't usually put much emphasis on MLC because it tends to be a distraction when trying to solve a marital problem in the most efficient and effective way possible. For example, if a man has an affair, some might argue that it's due to a mid-life crisis which should be treated first. The therapeutic plan would then dictate that he resolve the issue creating the crisis (he's unhappy about the way his life is turning out) and then address the affair itself. Since those having affairs usually want to delay ending them, they like the idea of extended therapy. But the time it takes to complete therapy for midlife crisis usually results in a wife and children long gone.

Granted, when a man has come to my office deeply depressed, wondering if his life's worth living, even I have used the term, mid-life crisis, to help describe what he's going through. Sometimes, in an effort to rise above his depressive state, he uses alcohol and drugs, and very rarely, infidelity, to treat his depression, which invariably makes him even more depressed.

The problem of mid-life crisis, and the resulting deep depression, is almost always due to a man's career. But if he's using drugs, alcohol, or having an affair as a way to treat his depression, my first order of business is to rid him of these self-destructive measures, and then to treat the mid-life crisis. His short-sighted solutions are far more damaging to him than the problem itself.

Why isn't the issue of mid-life crisis mentioned more in my articles? Because it's a very rare cause of infidelity, but a very common excuse to avoid prompt action to end an affair.

Best wishes,
Willard F. Harley, Jr.
here

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Great post by Dr. H and IME he is dead on.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006
D-Day #3~Feb.27, 2007 (we'd been in a FR)
Plan B~ March 3 ~ April 6, 2007

In Recovery and things are improving every day. MB rocks. smile
S
OP Offline
S
My hero.

Except I just wish that he would step in more often when we struggle over concepts on these forums. I can see that he cannot cherry-pick individual problems to solve, but he could make such a difference on the "theory" threads.

Are you listening, Dr H?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
Z
Z
I have no problem with his advice. But, it does get kind of old how he seems to predominantly target men as having thse problems. I sometimes wonder if he is unaware that women are cheating just about as much as guys.

W
W
I think everything in Dr. H's statement could just as easily apply to women as to men, though the term "midlife crisis" has more generally been used to refer to men. I know women can experience them as well. There are plenty of areas on Dr. H's site that deal with A's by women.

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
M
M
Originally Posted by Zelmo
I have no problem with his advice. But, it does get kind of old how he seems to predominantly target men as having thse problems. I sometimes wonder if he is unaware that women are cheating just about as much as guys.

In the case of a MLC, it's much more COMMON for men to have them and it is usually more OBVIOUS, so directing his answer to men having MLCs makes the most sense.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

Z
Z
I don't buy this. I just spotted a middle age woman with a bare midriff and spandex.

O
O
Although my last conversation with Steve wasn't specifically about MLC, it was about H's unhappiness, lack of direction, drinking, etc.

Steve's opinion was consistent with his father's. Resolve to help him make his marriage better and stronger and that should in turn, help him with his other issues.

Problem is, I can't get H on the phone with Steve so I'm getting dangerously close to Plan D.

N
N
Have you read SAA? About half the book deals with a woman's affair, though the principles apply for both.

This site addresses the problems of men and women both. I think the Sexist and Unfair Hobby Horse has been ridden just about into the ground.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
R
R
I think the Sexist and Unfair Hobby Horse has been ridden just about into the ground.

clap

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey
M
M
Originally Posted by Neak
Have you read SAA? About half the book deals with a woman's affair, though the principles apply for both.

This site addresses the problems of men and women both. I think the Sexist and Unfair Hobby Horse has been ridden just about into the ground.

Yes, I read the whole thing and I know it's about a woman having an A...however, she didn't seem to be having a MLC, "merely" an A.

I thought we were talking about men who have MLC coupled with an A. I am thinking of the stereotypical male MLC...things that might typify this could be new sports cars, motorcycles, piercings, tattoos, etc. That is different than a man OR a woman who, on the outside, appears to be the same as he/she has always been, but is having an A and there is no obvious external signs of a MLC.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

M
M
But, it does get kind of old how he seems to predominantly target men as having thse problems. I sometimes wonder if he is unaware that women are cheating just about as much as guys.

oh quit already. He has never suggested that cheating is exclusive to any gender. One of the reasons you jump to conclusions like this, Zelmo, is because you can't be bothered to read even ONE of his books.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by MarriedForever

In the case of a MLC, it's much more COMMON for men to have them and it is usually more OBVIOUS, so directing his answer to men having MLCs makes the most sense.

I don't think he was commenting that men "suffer" mid-life crisis more than women, rather, I think, he IS saying men are more prong to use it as an excuse than women where infidelity is involved.

Speaking of generalities between the sexes:

Since neither EN's nor MLC's are EXCUSES for infidelity...why is it that one sex (men) are more likely to blame it on MLC (seemingly a personal problem) whereas the wayward women seem prone to hanging their hats on unmet needs ("If you hadn't neglected me") which to me is more of a blame shifting thing?

In short...

Wayward Men say "It's not you, it's me"
Women say "It's not me, it's you"

(IN GENERAL - wayturds, no matter what sex run the gambit of all the common rationalizations and justficiations. You just don't see women saying "I'm having a MLC" nor men saying "She didn't meet my needs")

Further, it's interesting that the social stigma associated with being a betrayed wife vs a betrayed husband kind of goes along with that. The betrayed wife is pittied but people will question her ability to keep her man on a leash and satisfied. Maybe she just wasn't exciting enough or she let herself go. Men are men afterall and she shoulda known better. Whereas a betrayed husband generally gets LESS sympathy from the public. Instead he gets chastized for not being able to keep his house in order, working to hard, and neglecting his wife as if it's all somehow (or MOSTLY) his fault. If the betrayed husband dares to reconcile, he's viewed as cuckholded (a term I haven't seen used on BW's) and somehow controlled by his apparently/evidently domineering 'former' wayward wife.

Anyway, just a comment.

Mr. Wondering

p.s. - my dad told me years ago that he went through a mid-life crisis and that is when he decided to golf 1-3 times per week. My mother picked up a golf club for the first time in her life at the age of about 40. She didn't initially join him golfing very often but she learned on her own and in a women's 9 hole league. Over time they played together more and more (and often as a family particularly with me). Now they play together at least once a week and more rarely separately. They are in their late 70's now and quite healthy. It's interesting that they practiced Dr. Harley's recreational companionship plan's on their own. Married 51 years.

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
Z
Z
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
But, it does get kind of old how he seems to predominantly target men as having thse problems. I sometimes wonder if he is unaware that women are cheating just about as much as guys.

oh quit already. He has never suggested that cheating is exclusive to any gender. One of the reasons you jump to conclusions like this, Zelmo, is because you can't be bothered to read even ONE of his books.

I need to finish reading the "Why Men Leave Women" section on this site, first. Oh. wait....

M
M
snicker...I said "prong" instead of "prone"

M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

I need to finish reading the "Why Men Leave Women" section on this site, first. Oh. wait....

Again, that doesn't prove your point unless you want to say that he implies in Surviving an Affair that only women have affairs since the prime example in the book is a FEMALE CHEATER. In that post he never said what you implied, Zelmo. He was using a man in the example, not saying that only men have affairs. C'mon......

Exposure 101

F
F
Aren't we splitting hairs, here? What about menopause, the "change of life?" I completely think that part of her behavior is based on this.

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
M
M

Cause they DON'T ----generally.

You are a testament to that...you said your first wife spent something like 250 of 365 days one year out at the bar until at least 2 am while you sat home with two young children, one of whom, is physically/mentally handicapped.

Yet...you didn't "LEAVE"...she had an affair and left you.

There is something about men GENERALLY that they aren't the ones that initiate divorce and split up their families. EITHER they are much more capable of handling abuse and choose to overcome it or cope with it or ignore it OR they are much more incapable of handling abuse and stay out of fear. One way or another...they don't leave.

That being said...SOME MEN DO LEAVE. They generally have affairs when they do and that's HOW they leave. (edit to add: because the OW MAKES them, often they'd be content maintaining BOTH relationships) So for convinience sake...just take any article or book Dr. Harley has written and switch the pronouns. Maybe even download it and use the find/replace edit feature within your word processing program.

Mr. Wondering

Last edited by MrWondering; 12/04/09 02:16 PM.

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
M
M
Since neither EN's nor MLC's are EXCUSES for infidelity...why is it that one sex (men) are more likely to blame it on MLC (seemingly a personal problem) whereas the wayward women seem prone to hanging their hats on unmet needs ("If you hadn't neglected me") which to me is more of a blame shifting thing?

IME I have not noticed men "admitting" to a MLC. It's more like it's blatantly obvious to the outside world but they won't acknowledge it. I believe deep down they know how ridiculous they look but they won't admit it and won't stop the craziness.

I have another thought...does anyone wonder which comes first, the MLC of the A? <The chicken or the egg?>

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 451 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation