Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2284106 12/07/09 03:58 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Ok, ok

Just wanting to hear from you lovely people out there what you think about Marriage and/ or SaA when both spouses are working full time and have small children.

Are there people out there that have had both these factors and survived an A and have a good M?

B
B
Both H and I work full time and have small children. The f/t employment will be changing in the near future...at least for me...I'm keeping the kids though. smile

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
S
S
What do you mean by "small children", st? Do you mean that at least one of them is not yet in full-time school, and the older one is not much older?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
SugarCane #2284118 12/07/09 04:07 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I guess I mean children living at home that need parents to keep them entertained and alive, either school age or not.

G
G
Trust_Will_Come works 20 hrs/week, I average 45, and combined, we spend about 18 additional hours commuting. It can be done, but thank God for sick time...

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
GloveOil #2284314 12/07/09 07:12 PM
M
M
ST, just have some good, reliable babysitters on call!! That is what Dr Harley and Joyce did when they had little ones: lots of nights out together alone.

If that doesn't work, try some hawgtyin rope. grin

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

T
T
The most important lesson I have learned through all this is that the kids CAN'T come first. Yes, we are responsible for them and we give them time individually and as a family, but the balance in a family needs to be parents together over children. Prior to GloveOil's affair, it had become me and the kids together and him off by himself. We have corrected that by having conversation time that the kids are not allowed to interrupt. I know our kids are older (10 and 14) but in some ways they demand more. Their homework is harder (requiring our help), they have more activities to be driven to, and their issues require more thoughtful conversation than a six year old. I believe that kids of any age can understand that they need to wait, and putting your spouse on the backburner for your kids is just asking for trouble. I wish I hadn't.

Here's of few ideas off the top of my head: Be creative. Make the kids' bedtime earlier, so you and your spouse can be alone. Get into a babysitting co-op with your friends. Create a bubble of mommy and daddy time from 6-7 every night where the kids aren't allowed to interrupt, even if you are on the same floor with them. If desperate, go into the bathroom together and lock the door! Make sure that you greet your spouse with a hug and a kiss as soon as they walk in the door and let your kids see that affection. Most of all, play hooky from work together every so often, so you can make love in the middle of the afternoon without interruption. Send emails, call, and send e cards at random times to your spouse at work. Don't allow the excuses of tiredness, work, and kids separate you from your spouse. MB does work with jobs and families. It just depends on how much effort you are willing to give it.

ME: 45 FBS
FWH: GloveOil 43
D-Day 1/7/09 (A: 10/08-1/09)
DD: 16
DS: 12
Married: 19 years
In love for 24+ years and counting!
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks people,

I was n't thinking of myself - it was just thoughts in general (I only work 8 hours). I can't see how when working FT hours and running a house with small children it is possible to squeeze in 15 hours minimum UA time. May be because if I did work FT I wouldn't see J as he works 5 on 5 off and a mix of days and nights.

We get to spend some day time together as J works shifts so we pay a childminder so that we get a few weekend hours together in the week. Me and my sis "share" 4 children - I try to have hers when J isn't around so that she'll have mine when he is - her H does normal hours.

I may not always get my 15 hours UA time in but the balance is as sensible as it is going to get.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 697 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation