Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 95 of 100 1 2 93 94 95 96 97 99 100
D
D
Z is coming too.

He said he wanted to come Christmas Eve after the kids go to bed so when they wake up, he'll be there (they ADORE him).

I think he's been watching too many Folgers ads.

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

O'hana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

My Story

Recovered!
N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
He wants to be the best part of waking up?

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
A
A
Its getting to look a lot like Christmas
everywhere you go .... well here anyway laugh

torrential rains of up to 100mm with flooding while scorching heat is also expected from cyclone Laurence in the north... nice storm in the south.... 42 in Perth with high humidity ..... yep .....Christmas grin

but its pretty cool at our house kiss

Life may feel as if you are constantly getting kicked on a daily basis, living is about picking yourself up each day and going on and on and on regardless.

N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
AW, if you happen to see this here first, I have emailed an urgent info request for your young Dr. if she could spare a moment. I sent it to both of you so hopefully she would see it sooner.

Thanks! kiss

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
A
A
Neak hon she got it and answered I understand but she was so sorry to not see it earlier... we didn't log in much the last day or so.

fingers are crossed!!

Life may feel as if you are constantly getting kicked on a daily basis, living is about picking yourself up each day and going on and on and on regardless.

A
A
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to come to all

I tired these recipes this year and they were so yummy and meat was so tender I had to check to make sure it me that cooked it!!! think rotflmao

Roast Pork
2 tablespoons fennel seeds
1 tablespoon sea or rock salt
2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and roughly chopped
4 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
3 onions peeled and roughly chopped
1 bulb of garlic, cloves unpeeled and roughly smashed
Bunch of fresh thyme
1 11�13 lb piece of pork shoulder on the bone, preferably free-range or organic, skin scored
Olive oil
750ml bottle of white wine alc or non alc no matter
1 pint chicken or vegetable stock

1. Preheat your oven to maximum.
2. Smash the fennel seeds with the salt in a pestle and mortar until fine.
3. Put the roughly chopped vegetables, garlic, and thyme sprigs into a large roasting pan.
4. Pat the pork shoulder with olive oil and sit it on top of the vegetables. Now massage all the smashed fennel seeds into the skin of the pork, making sure you push them right into all the scores to maximise the flavour.
5. Put the pork in your preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until it's beginning to colour, then turn your oven down to 121 C or 250 F and cook the pork for 9 to 12 hours, until the meat is soft and sticky and you can pull it apart easily with a fork.
6. Tip all the wine, non alco wine also works ok, into the roasting tray and let it cook for another hour to give you a perfect sauce.
7. Once the pork is out of the oven, let it rest for half an hour before removing it to a large board. I like to brush off any excess salt from the meat, then I mash up the veg in the pan using a potato masher. Add the stock to the roasting pan, put it on the heat and boil until you have a lovely intensely flavoured gravy (you can thicken it with a little sieved flour if you like but I prefer mine light). The pork is great served with some good beans, braised greens, your roast veg mash and tasty sauce.

Roast Turkey
4 tablespoons butter
A sprig of fresh sage, leaves picked
12 strips of pancetta or thinly sliced bacon
1 bulb of garlic, broken into cloves
4 medium red onions, peeled
2 sticks of celery, trimmed and chopped
A big handful of breadcrumbs
A handful of dried apricots
10 � ounces ground pork
Zest of 1 lemon
A pinch of grated nutmeg
1 large free-range or organic egg
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
12 small fresh rosemary sprigs, plus a few extra
9-10 lb turkey, preferably free-range or organic, all room temperature
2 carrots, peeled
1 large orange
Olive oil
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 pints chicken or vegetable stock

Preheat the oven to maximum. Heat a saucepan until medium hot and drop in the butter, sage leaves and 6 of the pancetta or bacon strips. Peel and chop 2 garlic cloves and 1 onion. Add the garlic, celery and onion to the saucepan and fry everything gently until soft and golden brown. Take the pan off the heat, add the breadcrumbs and, while the mix is cooling down, add the pork,lemon zest , nutmeg, egg and lots of salt and pepper, and mix everything together well.
Slice the remaining strips of pancetta or bacon in half and slice 1 peeled garlic clove into thin slivers. Place a rosemary sprig and a garlic sliver on one end of a halved strip of pancetta and roll it up tightly. Repeat with the other pieces of pancetta until you have 12 little rolls. Stab the thighs and drumsticks of the turkey in 6 places on each side. Push a little pancetta roll into each hole until it just peeps out. This�ll give your turkey thighs a fantastic flavour and will keep them moist while they cook.
Chop the remaining onions in half and slice the carrots thickly. Give your turkey a good wipe, inside and out, with paper towels, and place it on a board, with the neck end towards you. Find the edge of the skin that�s covering the turkey�s breasts and gently peel it back. Work your fingers and then your hand under the skin, freeing it from the meat. If you�re careful you should be able to pull all of the skin away from the meat, keeping it attached at the sides. Go slowly and try not to make any holes! Lift the loose skin at the neck end and spoon the stuffing between the skin and the breast, tucking the flap of skin underneath to stop anything leaking out. Pop the orange in the microwave for 30 seconds to warm it up and stuff it into the cavity. Weigh the stuffed turkey and calculate the cooking time (about 20 minutes per pound).
Place the bird on a large roasting pan, run it all over with olive oil and season well. Surround with the chopped carrots, onions, remaining garlic, cover with aluminium foil and place in the preheated oven. Turn the heat down right away to 177 C or 350 F, and roast for the calculated time, or until the juices run clear from the thigh if you pierce with a knife or skewer. Remove the aluminium foil for the last 45 minutes to brown the bird. Carefully lift the turkey out of the tray and rest on a board that�s covered loosely with foil for 20 minutes while you finish off the veg and the gravy. Skim the surface fat from the roasting pan and add the flour and stock. Place the tray on the stove top and bring to a boil on high heat. When the gravy starts to thicken, strain it into a bowl. Carve your turkey, serve with the gravy and dig in!

I didn't have to cook on Xmas day but did for Boxing day as above. Each meal was supposed to feed 12 people... HA!!
I had no leftovers after 6 army types... incl husband... son and SIL...and my 3 "adopted" trooper sons ... and us 3 wife types and our 4 yr old. Anyone would have thought those men were starved.

oh and two large jars of cranberry sauce as well.
I won't list the mens booze .. you havn't enough time in the day to read it all faint

with all the snoring I was waiting for the noise abatement order MrRollieEyes

I mean they don't snore in the field so why do they do it at home?? I think there are some deep dark psychological reasons for it skeptical you know driving us wives up the wall

However Dr L says it's the booze ... she gave me this long explanation why which I got lost on right after "well see mum it's the" .....

I think my explanation is far closer to the truth ... however after not being able to SLEEP for a day and a bit I may be.. just a bit ... prejudiced :MerryChristmas:

Snoring stopper = twoxfour

N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
BTW - karmasrose, there is NO SUCH THING as off-topic here. Everything is spot-on-topic. grin

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
N
N
Hi Ladies!

Wow. Lots of names I remember, and you all seem so close to each other now. That's wonderful, but it makes me want to ask a question...

Doesn't "this" (posting to each other, etc) keep what you went through at the forefront of your minds? I mean, I am back for a "visit" on the board, but I won't be staying long. I have a new life (and it's GREAT) but man did visiting drum up really bad memories.

And on to my second question:

What's the difference between a "tradition" and a "rut?" This year, I didn't put up a XMAS tree or really decorate. My youngest 2 DS were with their mom for XMAS, so I didn't really see the point.

Oldest was home, but he is in college now and "home" to him means "base of operations from which to work and visit friends" at this point in his life.

So I "broke tradition" in that I didn't get a tree and decorate it and used the 1.5 days saved to do better? different?, at least other, things.

And I am not feeling guilty at all!! It was actually liberating to not "have to" do what I didn't want to do. Don't get me wrong, we have "traditions" like a big pancake breakfast EVERY Saturday.

So I say, based on my current feeling, that XMAS isn't a tradition, it is a rut. *I* didn't come up with the idea of a XMAS tree, nor did my family. We (the NCW line) has been doing it because "that's just what people do..." Which has never in my life been high on my list for wanting to do something. Shouldn't a family tradition have some meaning rising from the family? Example: my grandfather who I loved very much loved the vegetable kohlrabi. So I grow it in MY garden as an homage to him. THAT has meaning, THAT to me is a tradition. And that kohlrabi that I grow means more to me than any XMAS tree ever has. Heck, putting a tree up is more like a chore.

So... what do you think?

C
C

N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Answer to question #1, no, it doesn't. Even posting to the occasional BS doesn't bother me at all. The very few things that still can trigger me (such as while packing the garage to move, finding motel receipts for 2 people, and I know I wasn't along) have nothing whatsoever to do with MB. We're coming up on 2 years since the last attempted C, and that's nice, too.

Question #2, any holiday is what you make of it, or don't. If you feel it's a rut, re-examine it and shake things up a bit. Get wild and crazy and think about other tradition vs. rut things you do for other special days.

If you have small kids around, a certain amount of rut can be a good thing because they look for that consistency, but when it's just you, YEEEHAWWWWWWWW live on the edge!

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
A
A
NCW

so good to hear from you and that you are doing well. I guess its been awhile for you hasn't it? a year or two???

I'm not on too often but read every now and then and jump in if I think I can help.

For me its not a bad thing to go back and and see the sort of pain I caused. Its not to beat myself with rather to acknowledge where I had been and know where I am now. It reminds me how privileged I am to be with my husband.. with my family..how lucky I am to have him and them in my life.
No.. no more running away from problems and sadness and sad memories... better to deal with them face on.

But life HAS moved on... my daughter married her soldier boy.. my oldest son is an officer & gentleman these days ... yes hard to believe grin and our youngest Mikey 4 has been running me into the ground!! HAPPY oh yes very very very.

The Xmas tree is something I think is very ok to do away with when the young DS's are off to their mums. Our tree is for the children... you know .. Mikey.... my hubby... son in law and son MrRollieEyes

I'm convinced that when it comes to train sets men are really boys who have just got a bit older in years but no where else sigh

Ever watched the Addams Family tv show? .... the one from the 60's I think..the original one ?? well ever see Gomez blow up his train ... well guess what ... no not joking ... men! faint

but Mikey is in 7th heaven with dad and his big bros around so I just leave them alone. except to check they haven't started a fire or something uhuh

I think if you make sure you keep the things you do with the kids as family tradition it will all work out ok.. try to get the oldest to at least turn up for Xmas dinner.. birthdays and the like ... even if it includes mates and girlfriends etc .....except maybe you don't need to blow up toy trains ... just a suggestion rotflmao

May you find happiness and love NCW.. life is a wonderful gift and far too good to allow the past to control your enjoyment of it. May the good Lord bless and keep you.

N
N
Neat article Cinders. I'm in the automotive industry. We are told that America has to get back to being an economic powerhouse. Not going to happen. Why? We can't compete with these other countries and we are not going to be able to.

*GASP*

But there is a good reason. I have been to these plants around the world. And I have been to these cultures. Some of them are EXTREMELY repressive of the working class. We can't compete with that, they are willing to do things that we in this country (thankfully) are not. It's like trying to beat someone at a game with rules YOU have to follow that they DON'T.

Am I anti-American with this statement? No. In truth, I couldn't be prouder of America in that we have been able to stay in the game conducting ourselves with a good bit of dignity (relatively) in our corporate structure.

N
N
Oh, and to answer your question Cinders, she really has to have two... We can handle much greater deviation in size and shape. Not so much with actual count. smile

Hey AW - WOW. That was REALLY positive. And yes, I very much do have my equivalents of blowing up the trains. That's one of the reasons me and my mom moved in together. I wanted my children to enter college with all their fingers. That outcome would have been in doubt in an all male house.

C
C
Several years ago, my sister quit speaking to me. That necessitated a change in Christmas Eve plans since we had both been going, with our families, to our mom's on Christmas Eve.

My children and I began a new tradition. Now, they go to their dad's at noon on Christmas Day so our time to celebrate and relax is Christmas Eve. Presents and breakfast are all we have time for on Christmas Day.

Instead of a big fancy dinner, we have a fire in the fireplace and we roast hot dogs and have s'mores. Easy menu planning. Easy shopping. Easy prep. Easy clean up.

After dinner, we play games. Card games, board games, word games, whatever games we wish. Just the three of us...hanging out together.

Sometimes, my mom comes over. Sometimes she goes to my sister's.

Life is sweet. Hanging out around the fireplace. Sitting on the floor. Enjoying my children and some peace and calm we carve out just for ourselves.

N
N
And that's the point, isn't it?

Basically, you do a family POJA on the whole thing. My memories are of my mom slaving to make a nice XMAS dinner, which precluded her from participating in actual XMAS. I'd have rather had her heat up eggos on XMAS day and have fun with us...

D
D
>slaving to make a nice XMAS dinner

I did that this year...but I didn't FEEL like I was slaving away. It was so much fun.

Eggos..pft...homemade cinnamon rolls stuffed with cherries, raisins and apples! NUM!

My poor SIL felt so displaced...usually Christmas is HER balliwick and because of the well caving, she was lost...I wanted so bad for her to have a nice time. She's such a good person.

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

My Story

Recovered!
D
D
PS - My k-nee hurts (been watching lots of the old Christmas specials, including the Jack Frost one with the K-nights).

I love my Wii fit!

My Story

Recovered!
N
N
But you said it d-d, it didn't feel like slaving. You wanted to do it. Now sometimes we have to "slave" because it's the right thing, but what if we are doing it because it's expected? A societal "rut" we fall in to, that isn't really right?

I think too much.

D
D
>I think too much.

Well, when you have to call 911 because of the smoke, then yeah, it's too much.

My Story

Recovered!
N
N
Is THAT what I'm supposed to do?

And here I put all this effort into making a hat with a small exhaust fan ducted to the outside because I didn't want it bothering anyone ....

Girls are so smart.

Page 95 of 100 1 2 93 94 95 96 97 99 100

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 311 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation