Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2316529 02/02/10 10:57 AM
Z
Zelmo Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Seems many times I see posters urging disclosure because they feel that it is almost inevitible that the affair will come to light. But, in reading about affairs, I have seen studies that indicate that most go undetected. I think these are mainly the out of town deals where the cheater has a ONS or goes to hookers.
But, these studies indicate tht one can cheat and , most likely , get away with it. Does this sound right?

B
B
Originally Posted by Zelmo
But, these studies indicate tht one can cheat and , most likely , get away with it. Does this sound right?

It sounds accurate. Not going to say it's right.

I know that with all the time I spent traveling for work last year, I could have cheated had I been so inclined. Glad I didn't.

Me - 44
DW - 39
Married 16 years
DS10
DS6
DD4
W
W
My A occurred 3000 miles away from home, during a 2-week residency for my grad school program. I could have easily gotten away with it and never said a word. I'm sure my H would never have suspected a thing. That wasn't the road I chose, but I certainly could have.

Why do you ask?

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
L
L
Interesting.

S
S
I think that if a cheater has no conscience and is very good at deception, infidelity can and does go undetected a great deal of the time. I believe that remorse or stupidity, on the cheaters part however, can cause him/her to make mistakes which will lead to detection and/or confession. I was skeptical of the high stats on infidelity until it happened to me. Now I believe those stats and it is very disheartening. I worry about my married children knowing there is pretty much a 50/50 possibility they will be devastated by their partners at some point in time. I would never marry again.

S
S
I don't think that undetected affairs happen just miles away from the BS. I know of people who have had affairs and just were really good at hiding them. Dr H even states that there are many affairs that are unknown to BS's because they die their natural death and the WS just keeps the M going.

There are also times that I believe that affairs are known by the BS but the WS does not know that they have been "found out". I know a lady who knew of her friend's A. She thought his BW didn't know. Then that BW got alzheimer's and she would stand by her window and say, "WS, I know what you are doing out there with her. I know." My friend said it broke her heart that she never told her.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
W
W
Originally Posted by lokil
Interesting.

Hey lokil, you're still around. Sorry your thread got locked. How are you doing? I know your H is due home in a few days. Have you figured out what you're going to do? I know a lot of people gave you a hard time. Don't take it personally. It happens to every wayward who comes here deep in the fog. Someday, once the fog clears, you'll be thankful for that.

I really hope you've decided to do the honorable thing and tell your H the truth and give yourself some hope of having a healthy M.

I
I
Zelmo, I hear the stories that come out of the hairdresser salons. There is either a great deal of imaginative ladies or a great deal more unsuspecting cuckolded men in the neighbourhood.

Sadly, South Africa has had on of the worst divorce rates in the world.

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams -Yeats
L
L
I'm doing good thanks been reaidng the articles here and found them somewhat helpful.

W
W
Originally Posted by lokil
I'm doing good thanks been reaidng the articles here and found them somewhat helpful.

That's a great start. I'm glad you're doing better.

Z
Zelmo Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Originally Posted by writer1
My A occurred 3000 miles away from home, during a 2-week residency for my grad school program. I could have easily gotten away with it and never said a word. I'm sure my H would never have suspected a thing. That wasn't the road I chose, but I certainly could have.

Why do you ask?

Well, I was thinkig of the thread from the young woman who banged her friend's H while her own H was away. And, it also came up on LLL's thread when I suggested that , perhaps, her recent discovery was but the tip of the iceberg.
Seemed many posters were relatively certin that there would be discovery and that this was a factor in deciding to disclose. I wondered if folks were under the impression that the cheating was routinely discovered whn the studies indicate it seldom is.

M
M
I think the most tragic thing about As that are never found out is that they happened, they are a part of the marital fabric, whether the BS knows or not. They exist and affect the foundation of the M. How much better could the M be if there was open & honest communication between BS and WS?

It's so very clear to me that a willing wayward can hide an A. But the cost to the M just isn't worth it, whether the BS finds out or not.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

T
T
Originally Posted by Sure1
I think that if a cheater has no conscience and is very good at deception, infidelity can and does go undetected a great deal of the time.
The only trouble with this theory is that someone without conscience is more likely to repeat their infidelity over and over again. It's one thing to hide a one-time only ONS. It's a whole 'nuther can of worms to try to hide a lifestyle of that. At some point, even the AP's get suspicious. Think Tiger Woods.

M
M
Seems many times I see posters urging disclosure because they feel that it is almost inevitible that the affair will come to light. But, in reading about affairs, I have seen studies that indicate that most go undetected. I think these are mainly the out of town deals where the cheater has a ONS or goes to hookers.

Which study is this? I would like to take a look at it. Dr Harley has said on his radio show that most people LIE about affairs on self surveys so most of the information they have is very unreliable. [he cites a famous survey where people actually SAY they would not answer honestly and I can understand that]

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Well, I was thinkig of the thread from the young woman who banged her friend's H while her own H was away. And, it also came up on LLL's thread when I suggested that , perhaps, her recent discovery was but the tip of the iceberg.
Seemed many posters were relatively certin that there would be discovery and that this was a factor in deciding to disclose. I wondered if folks were under the impression that the cheating was routinely discovered whn the studies indicate it seldom is.

How nice of you to encourage her to keep her secret!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Z
Zelmo Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

Which study is this? I would like to take a look at it. Dr Harley has said on his radio show that most people LIE about affairs on self surveys so most of the information they have is very unreliable. [he cites a famous survey where people actually SAY they would not answer honestly and I can understand that]

I'll dredge it up and let you know.
But, as to the lying, I think that is more applicable to folks denying having affairs vs revealing they had one which went undetected. Clearly, the latter reflects poorly on the responder, thus making it less likely he or she would lie.

I
I
Yeah, but what if they are lying about lying? smile

M
M
Originally Posted by ImStaying

Lying liars tell lies! grin

Exposure 101

Z
Zelmo Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Originally Posted by ImStaying

Ah, the old riddle.
Anyway, I just googled "undetected infidelity " and came up with a number of sites talking about "studies". I am computer illiterate, so cannot post links. But, Google turned up a fair number referencing this.

W
W
Originally Posted by writer1

Why do you ask?

Well, I had absolutely no reason to think my H would ever find out about my A if I didn't tell him, and I still told him, because I knew it was the right thing to do. It never even occurred to me to not tell him. I had never kept anything from him before, so why would I keep something from him that deeply affected him? I knew I had done something terribly wrong and I was very ashamed and very afraid, but I knew he had a right to know.

I very much disagree that only the threat of being caught causes the wayward to come clean. My H told me the truth about his EA 6 months after it ended. He'd kept it from me that long, so he certainly could have continued to do so. I had no clue and was not on the cusp of discovering him. He had a conscience, and that is what lead him to tell me the truth. Some people still have those, you know?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (whwh747474), 473 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation