Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
ammc Offline OP
OP Offline
A
When do you get to the point where you don�t feel such intense pain when you see your ex. How do I just make my feelings numb?

I was just out shoveling snow for the last hour and half. I was cold and soaked. Who drives by. My ex with his new girlfriend and her child. He was waving and laughing at me. You could see the extreme pleasure on his face. I try not to let it get to me, but it is just so painful to deal with. Every time he sees me he just tries to rub in my face about how happy he is. He barely calls the kids or comes by anymore to see them. Hasn�t paid a dime in child support.

My head says. Why should I care. He was a liar, a cheat, abusive, and an addict. I have done the best thing possible for my children and myself. But my heart still hurts�. I wish I could just turn off my emotions and not feel a thing. When will I be numb?

me-36
exh-35 bipolar/addiction issues
2 DS
Married 9 yrs / Separated Aug 08 / Divorced since July 2009
Trying to put my life back together......
R
R
Hi ammc!

Hope this helps!

If you're having trouble letting go:

* There is life after this marriage
As hard as it is to believe right now, one day this marriage will just be something you did once. You'll go on and you'll have what you create.

* Get out of denial
Ask yourself: Do you really want this marriage, or are you hanging onto it out of fear? If being alone is a scarier thought than staying in a broken marriage, you're letting fear make your decisions. Are you mourning the loss of what your marriage was, or what you thought marriage would be?

* Don't burn daylight
Grieving doesn't have a time frame on it, but life does. Whether you realize it or not, life is marching on. There comes a time when you have to accept the fact and say, "I've got to get on with my life, I've got to get on with raising my children, I've got to get on with putting things together where I can be a happy, meaningful, productive member of society." Find a way to put one foot in front of the other and move forward.

* Take the catastrophic language out of your mind
"My life is over," "I've lost everything," and "Things are horrible" are labels that can have a powerful impact on how you feel. Recognize that it's factually not true. Your life isn't over, it's just a new beginning for you. Changing the negative tapes that run in your head can change how you physically feel.

* Don't waste time with regret
At some point you have to say, "It is what it is." You can't do anything about what you did before; but you can do a lot about what you're doing now.

* Be an example for your children
What kind of mom do you think your kids are experiencing when you're sitting around and crying and looking over your shoulder at what was instead of what is?

You've accepted it. Now it's time to jumpstart your life!

* Define a new relationship with your ex for your children
Your old relationship was husband and wife, your new relationship is as common allies of your children.

* Talk to your kids
Divorce can create emotional wounds in children. Talk to them about what's going on, what they're feeling, and how things will get better. Involve them. If they know there are things they can do to help this transition, it will give them a feeling of power.

* Make a plan
Assess your situation financially, look at your resources to see what your options are in terms of housing, job and finances.

* Create a support squad
Ask for help. People appreciate being asked for help. It's a gift to them to allow them to be there for you. Create a support squad of your closest friends who won't mind providing you with emotional support, professional guidance and ongoing inspiration. Realize that you're not the first person to go through this.

* Get your resources and assets around you
Do everything you can to program yourself for success. Find out what your strengths and skills are and focus on them to help move you in a new and positive direction. Everybody has a personal truth � what you believe about yourself when nobody's watching. Remember that you will create the results in life that you believe you deserve.

* Make time for yourself
Make a priority to be a little selfish and do something just for yourself. The most important gift you can give your children is to take care of their parents. Try a new class, start exercising, or reconnect with an old hobby you've forgotten about.

* Make your dream home
It's not the end of the world if you have to change houses. Know that you and your kids are going to create memories there and that's what makes it a dream home.

* Find your authentic self
Although you may no longer be one half of a couple, you are still 100 percent the person who you are. Find that person again.

* Find your passion
What is it that will make you excited to get out of bed every day? Make a list of what you can do to reach your goals.

* Have some joy with your kids
Choose to live with some fun in your new life. Create new memories with your children that will carry them into the future with self-esteem, confidence and happiness.

* Protect yourself in the future
It's important to always look at a relationship and ask yourself, "What's it costing me to be in this relationship?" If you totally lose yourself in it, then the cost is too high.

Credits to Dr. Phil

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey
S
S
If he was so happy you would not be a blip on his radar. Plus the fact that he's not supporting his kids, should tell you that's it all the same with him and his new gf will find out very quick, and is she's smart she will run fast.

Sometimes having a toxic parent in your child's life is not for the best especially if he is still using.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 905 guests, and 53 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation