Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
joan22 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you for your insights, I do appreciate it....
It may seem like I am looking for a timeline for forgiveness, but that might not be exactly what I am asking for. It is so hard to explain, I feel like I am looking for something extraordinary to prove to me that it is OK to forgive. I just don't know what it is yet and was hoping others who have forgiven could tell me when they forgave and what made it happen for them.

The "why" he did it seems so important to me, but I admit I might be focusing on the wrong things. Our counselor said there are sometimes just no answers to why people have affairs, and I just didn't (and still don't) believe this for myself yet...claiming that it was a stupid mistake isn't enough for me. I admit it does make sense that we both were not meeting each others emotional needs (although he has not said this is why he had the affair), but I had more respect for our marriage not to cheat. I don't want to wonder for the rest of my life if he will cheat again. I deserve to feel secure in our love and I don't know if I will ever feel safe again.

B
B
Dear Joan:

Maybe it is not so much about him choosing to be with her, but choosing to be anyone other than who he is/was?

My WH told me that it was so much more about him than her....that makes it better and worst. Her, i can get rid of work around....him...well he will take alot of work. why? 'cuz i love him, have children with him, i am invested in him...don't want to throw him away.

i hurt when he hurts...what hurts about this? He never even considerd me..not until it was to late. i feel your pain, i know where you are, where you have been and hopefully where you are going. many people on this forum have been there, are there, can give you great directions. even still, the destination is yours and yours alone. we travel together, but end up at different places at different times.

forgiveness? attainable and given at your discretion when you are ready. trust? must, must, must be earned by him.

Me....still waiting for the trust...forgave him almost immediately. had to for my own health....trust, hurt, anger, oh so hard to deal with, come to terms with.

hang in there, like gloveoil said...in for the long haul...time is its own worst enemy yet the only thing that heals and gives perspective....sucks doesn't it.

Me:BS-47
Him:WH-45
married 25 yrs
DD:22:married Dec 09
DS:20
DS:17
EA:Feb 09-May 09
Contact thru Sept.09
Nc in place Nov 09
trying to recover since then
J
joan22 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you so much for your response (and your husband's response), It is encouraging to hear that you both are recovering and that there is hope for me (us).
Unfortunately we don't have a good support systems. We essentially do not have any family anymore (what little family we do have is not apart of our lives). We do have friends but I am not sure either of us would feel comfortable talking to any of them about this. I feel embarrassed that this has happened.

B
B
Joan:

When all this started, my Wh asked me to please keep this between us, don't tell anyone. and i have kept his secret, which is contrary to harley MB theory but i promised him i would. when i finally found MB 2 months later, my daughter was planning her wedding, my in-laws had just celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary and i felt totally alone. how could i throw this wrench right in the middle of all our lives.

humiliated? yes, we were thought of as a wonderful couple, fun, loving, the pattern for a great marriage and wonderful children and great family. Well, i would trade a little humiliation for a whole lot of healthy marriage. don't get me wrong, we were not living a lie. we did have a good marriage, we just kind of lost touch with each other....life happened and we did not protect each other or ourselves or our marriage. that being said.....humiliation, embarressment,....vs. healthy marriage with the man that i started my love life with?

Me:BS-47
Him:WH-45
married 25 yrs
DD:22:married Dec 09
DS:20
DS:17
EA:Feb 09-May 09
Contact thru Sept.09
Nc in place Nov 09
trying to recover since then
M
M
Originally Posted by joan22
Thank you so much for your response (and your husband's response), It is encouraging to hear that you both are recovering and that there is hope for me (us).
Unfortunately we don't have a good support systems. We essentially do not have any family anymore (what little family we do have is not apart of our lives). We do have friends but I am not sure either of us would feel comfortable talking to any of them about this. I feel embarrassed that this has happened.

Yep. It happened. The worst possible thing you could (never) imagine. Step up to the plate and own that knowledge. You'll realize that it's not the end of the world soon, and it will become a part of your new 'normal'. Own that history and be proud that you are made of strong stuff. Take your time with this new marital history.

I'm sorry you don't have someone IRL who can listen to you and support you as you heal. You do have an excellent support system here, though, and we're going to help you work through this. And it IS work. But you can do it!

The forgiveness thing? For me, it wasn't so much something that I pursued and achieved. Forgiveness for my FWH was more a realization that came over me as I personally grew while coming to terms with H's A. It came to me, you know? I realized that it was okay to look my H in the eye and say, "You messed up in the worst way. But I love you, and I can't imagine not having you in my life." That's when the feeling of forgiveness came to me - and it's a great relief, to NOT carry that terrible burden of being unforgiving.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

K
K
Joan,

Welcome to the halls of MB...I guess sigh MrRollieEyes This is the best place to be if you gotta be somewhere because of infidelity.

I see that you just registered today, so I assume your Dday, discovery day, happened not to long ago.

The horrible chest wound through which your H has just yanked your heart is still steaming. You are in shock. Big trauma.

I suggest don't EVEN THINK about forgiveness right now. That is WAAYYY down the line...if it ever comes.

I am almost 6 years out from my Dday. My wife and I are happy, loving, enjoy each other and the life we have. She had a 3 year PA with some bozo she met on the internet. He would fly into town, get a motel room and she would meet him there for their sexual holidays, while I was at work. I had NO CLUE!

I don't think I have forgiven her. My life is totally changed. Who I am, compared to who I was is changed, way down deep. This changed the entire course of my life and how I viewed myself.

But the life we have now is better than being apart from one another.

Do you forgive the dog for shatting on your new carpet? Do you forgive a tornado for blowing away your house?

I say "I don't think" I have forgiven because I still resent and loath the act. I cannot forgive that. And why should I? Why do I need to? It happened. It is what it is.

We have become closer, better ENs are the haps, but we are not the same 2 people prior to Dday. At least in my mind we are not. I have "moved on" and we seem to be heading in the right direction.

""I deserve to feel secure in our love and I don't know if I will ever feel safe again.""

Forgiving him will not bring this security to you. Time and his actions will bring it back around.

And do not feel stupid, because you are not.

You are still on the high road.

Keep coming here to vent and ask questions.

Stay strong,

kirk

CORDUROY PILLOWS ARE MAKING HEADLINES!!
D
D
hug

Joan, I could probably list 20 or so reasons why my WH had an A. Intellectually I understand it, as you seem to do also. But our hearts, I don't think they will ever get an acceptable why. Why the person we loved and trusted most in the world could so completely disregard us in order to do what they did, and sadly, from everything I've seen and read on MB, the WS's just can't give us that why, not because they don't want to, but because they themselves have no answer. They can't explain it to themselves, let alone us.

No one wants to live in fear for the rest of their lives, and that has been one of my biggest worries also, but I've read the stories of some of the vets here, and they give me such great hope for the future of my M and anyone else who comes here and is willing to learn and listen. You won't always be scared and hurting, there is hope for a very happy and loving M for you. It will take a long time, which I know is hard right now when it's all still very fresh and raw, but hold on to the hope MB and the wonderful vets here offer you through the dark times, and you CAN come out the other side.

You'll find amazing support and help here, because most everyone here has been just where you are, they understand in ways no one else can, and they're all ready and willing to support you through this. I don't have any great insights or things to teach, but I wanted to offer you support and a hug.

BW (Me) - 32
WH - 29
2 DD's - 4 & 7
Together 9yrs; Married 3yrs
OG - 17
EA/PA 1/09 - 2/10; D-Day #1 10/01/10 D-Day #2 2/02/10; N/C Est 2/02/10
One day at a time
C
C
Kirk, thanks for your perspective. Its always interesting to read from someone that is years out from Dday.

I feel I may be in the same boat as you, as far as forgiveness. Even though I have said I forgive her, I do not forgive what she did. I think its like forgiving the sinner but not the sin.

Me: BH, 49 yrs old
Her: FWW 44 yrs old
A's occurred in 1988
Dday #1 (2 A's) Aug. 26, 2009
Dday #2 (3 A's) Sep. 5, 2009

My story: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/u...744#Post2279744

Not sure where we are going...?

J
joan22 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Kirk (and everyone), THANK YOU! I can't tell you how much your support and feedback is providing a perspective that my counselor just didn't/couldn't. I appreciate it so much.
Silly question, but is there a place to tell me what all the abbreviations are that people use in the messages?

I found out about the physical part of the affair immediately, my H came home and I just knew. I checked his cell and saw the text that just confirmed it for me, he said he was going to tell me when our kids were in bed, but I confronted him before that because I nearly exploded with anger after seeing the text and just couldn't hold it in. So I had my neighbor come watch the kids while we talked outside. They were friends for 2 months before the "sex just happened". So I have known for 3 months.

I know 3 months doesn't seem like a long time, but for me it seems too long to be in pain. I can't imagine feeling this insecure for years. I agree, I question whether he is the man I fell in love with. We have talked endlessly about the A and I told him that he became a liar and cheater for her, why? He says she means nothing to him. He didn't enjoy being with her, it didn't feel right. It was stupid and will never happen again (he says).

Just because she means nothing to him, doesn't make me feel better either. I can't believe he threw away our life, me, our family for "nothing". I don't understand how someone could change to lying so easily to me and then immediately turn back into wanting to be a loving husband and family man? He is trying, is his doing things to make me feel secure and loved, but I just never thought we would be here. Don't get me wrong, we have had struggles in our marriage, but I always believed we would make it through, now thinking that he may have wanted someone else, was with her even temporarily, just shattered my life.

I realize that we can't go back, I just wish we could.
Your comment that "But the life we have now is better than being apart from one another." makes sense and is where I need to focus. But it all comes back to can I have a life with him? I feel some guilt that I wanted good enough to stop him from having an affair. I feel anger that he had the affair (although I think I am getting over the anger, I am less angry and more disappointed) and have said before I have been focusing on the why. I am happy with his attempts to reconnect and make our marriage work, but how do I know this isn't temporary? That he won't change his mind back? I know I am looking for security that I may never have again with him and it makes me so sad.

It also seems to me that he is over the A. He tells me he is happier, he loves me, and he is hopeful about our future. He tells me often that we are going to make it and we will be OK. The problem is I guess I don't believe it yet and maybe it is just too soon.

J
joan22 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you so much for the encouragement and the hug!

J
joan22 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you for your thoughts on this...I am sure that you are right. I hurts to think that he may have changed and acted in a way that is not consistent with who he is/was. I am concerned that this new devotion to me could be temporary, as temporary as his affair was, as I mentioned in an earlier post, how do people just change to have the affair (became a liar and cheater) and then just expect to change back as if it didn't happen (back to loving husband and father)?

M
M
Thank you for your thoughts on this...I am sure that you are right. I hurts to think that he may have changed and acted in a way that is not consistent with who he is/was. I am concerned that this new devotion to me could be temporary, as temporary as his affair was, as I mentioned in an earlier post, how do people just change to have the affair (became a liar and cheater) and then just expect to change back as if it didn't happen (back to loving husband and father)?

Of course you're concerned, and you should be. He has demonstrated to you that he is capable of being a liar and a cheat. You need to protect yourself emotionally while you navigate these new waters of the post-A and determine whether or not you can be safe with your WH.

However, I can tell you this, and I hope it helps: my FWH was exposed and his remorse was immediate and huge. It was like a switch had flipped. There was no period of time after exposure when we had to deal with withdrawal (I suspect he went through that pre-exposure because he was guilt-wracked and was attempting to end the A, and I remember a lot of crankiness from him around that time.) So in our case it was a night/day change in him. That sounds like your sitch. Still. Proceed cautiously. I can say it was true in our case because it's been a year of consistent remorse and hard work on his part, and he has never wavered from that. You're still a little early in healing.

D-Day 2-10-2009

J
joan22 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
His remorse was immediate and he said he told the OW that he never wanted to see her again and that he loved me and the encounter was a mistake. When he admitted the affair, he cried, he has never cried in the 15 years we have been together.

The OW did try to contact him several times and he finally told her he would contact the authorities if she contacted him again. As far as I can tell she has not tried to email, text or call him since the first week in December. But he was able to keep his friendship a secret for 2 months before he told me about her. I am hopeful that he is genuine about his feelings for our recovery but tired of feeling insecure.

Thank you for sharing your situation and encouragement.

M
M
His remorse was immediate and he said he told the OW that he never wanted to see her again and that he loved me and the encounter was a mistake. When he admitted the affair, he cried, he has never cried in the 15 years we have been together.

The OW did try to contact him several times and he finally told her he would contact the authorities if she contacted him again. As far as I can tell she has not tried to email, text or call him since the first week in December. But he was able to keep his friendship a secret for 2 months before he told me about her. I am hopeful that he is genuine about his feelings for our recovery but tired of feeling insecure.

Thank you for sharing your situation and encouragement.

Woman up, girlfriend. hug No one warned you this could happen, but now's the time when you've got to take the phrase "for better or for worse" and wear it in your mind like a mantra. Your sitch sounds extremely promising! It could be a million times worse (Read some of the other threads. Some of them could break your heart.) You've got a remorseful WH. That's excellent healing material to start with.

You'll have some tough parts ahead of you, I'm sorry to tell you. You and WH are going to go through some firestorms before it's over. But you're going to come out of it forged like steel. Keep reading the info on this site and you'll have the tools you need for R.

But don't decide to start trusting him. Nope nope nope. Snoop. Spy. Install a keylogger on your computer. Bug his phone. Bug your house phone. Can you install a keylogger on his work computer? VAR in his car - GPS unit might not be a bad idea.

By now you're probably thinking "Why do this now, after the end of the A?" You know part of the answer - to confirm that the A is, indeed, dead. But the other part is to help maintain peace of mind for YOU. Because it's all about you, now. Understand?

Like I said, my H's remorse was/still is monumental. That didn't stop me from purchasing certain tools I won't mention (he reads here on the rare occasion) to help me confirm that there is NC and that he is being o&h and transparent. And I did mention to him that he has to understand that he has forever lost his right to anything resembling privacy (okay, I'll permit occasional potty breaks grin )

Once, about half a year ago, my handbag was sitting on the table, open. And wouldn'tcha know, I didn't push the VAR far enough into it and he saw it. Oops. He asked what it was and I said "It's a voice activated tape recorder. My intention was to hide it but it sucks as far as reception goes, so I have to get a better one. We looked at each other for a looong second and I gave him a sweet smile. He's never asked about spying tools since.

D-Day 2-10-2009

P
P
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
Once, about half a year ago, my handbag was sitting on the table, open. And wouldn'tcha know, I didn't push the VAR far enough into it and he saw it. Oops. He asked what it was and I said "It's a voice activated tape recorder. My intention was to hide it but it sucks as far as reception goes, so I have to get a better one. We looked at each other for a looong second and I gave him a sweet smile. He's never asked about spying tools since.
hurray

H
H
Here is an older post from my wife that may help, she was posting back and forth with a poster named MEDC on this subject of forgiveness. {{{{{joan}}}}

Originally Posted by SexyMamaBear
I thank you for this topic, as I understand why you posted it. I started a thread back in August during our false recovery on this very topic.

Forgiveness is an act or attitude, IMHO, that I CHOOSE. I chose to forgive my husband, I think, immediately. Or, at least, after the initial shock wore off. Why did I forgive? Because I knew I could never restore my marriage without forgiveness. I could never have what I was working so hard to fight for, if I did not forgive. Without my forgiveness, our marriage was doomed...no matter what my FWS was willing to do for me.

So, what is forgiveness and how do I know I have done it? I believe forgiveness means removing the PUNISHMENT for the offense (not to be confused with consequences). What is the punishment for infidelity? Well, my religion must come in here. The punishment for sin is death? Should my FWS receive death? Should he receive the same betrayal and abandonment I suffered? Should he be so beaten down that he no longer feels worthy of love and forgiveness?

All those things would be punishment. How do I know I have forgiven my FWS? Because I do not want him to receive the appropriate punishment for his betrayal and abandonment. Because I do not feel pleasure or justification when he is agonizing over the damage he caused to me and our children. In fact, I hurt FOR him when he is overwhelmed with his grief, guilt and shame. That is how I know I have forgiven him.

But the truth is I forgave him before he wanted it. I did not ever desire him to receive the appropriate punishment for his betrayal.

I DID want him to suffer the natural consequences, however. But not to hurt him; but because I knew that those consequences would help to restore him to God and to his family, where he belonged and needed to be.

MEDC, I find it incredibly difficult to have this conversation without it centering around my spiritual faith, although I AM trying.

You see, I KNOW that I could NOT forgive this offense without God's supernatural happening inside of me. This is all way too big for me.

I NEED God to:

help me forgive
heal my wounds
restore my marriage
unite us again in body and spirit

This IS ALL supernatural. How can I remove God from this discussion????

I remember last summer being worried that I would forgive "too quickly" because I am a forgiving person. I sought God's guidance in the question of WHEN to forgive. Here is a cut and paste of my post back in August. I agree with my statement even more today. We watched THE PASSION on Easter, and it reminded me of this.

I didn�t want to forgive my husband for his infidelity before it was the �right time�. Fearing that I might too quickly forgive my husband before he is �deserving�, I prayed that God would show me when the right time would be. God immediately spoke audibly to me the verse, "Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do." The he said it to me again a little differently: "Forgive him, SMB, for he knows not what he has done."

I felt overwhelmed as I considered Jesus� great suffering. It must have been an emotional suffering as well as a physical one. How did Jesus forgive and when? It appears to me that, Jesus, being consumed with love for those who persecuted Him, offered complete forgiveness with the hope that those same people would be restored to His Father in Heaven. He forgave immediately, in the midst of His agony, when His suffering was the greatest. He didn't wait "x" amount of months; he didn't wait to see remorse/repentance, he didn't wait for any action or words from the offender. He offered forgiveness immediately WHILE he suffered. He asked his Father to forgive them as he sacrificed himself to save them.

Today, MEDC, I see this as true. FWS DIDN'T know what he had done. He could not yet comprehend what destruction he was causing...to those he loved most. And those that crusified Jesus, could not yet comprehend what their actions meant.

THAT did NOT stop Jesus from forgiving them while he was at his GREATEST suffering.

So this is the IDEAL. But we all know that forgiveness can be challenging. We may have to CHOOSE to forgive every single day. We may have days where we do not FEEL like forgiving. I think early on, some BS's have to make a daily choice to have an attitude of forgiveness, but must be patient with themselves when the triggers bring on the immense hurt or anger. Over time, forgiveness will get easier and eventually be a non-issue...as long as we are seeking to be forgiving.

But we complicate forgiveness, thinking it is more than it is. In my book, it is removing the appropriate punishment...or the desire for the appropriate punishment to be divvied out.

It is NOT:

removal of natural consequences
forgetting the offense
pretending everything is restored
refusing to process the emotions that resulted from the infidelity (hurt, anger, sorrow, grief)
trusting without reason

I know that Dr. H talks about just compensation. I think this is a great concept, which I understand better now that I have witnessed it from my FWS. He has offered a great deal of just compensation, ranging from steps to protect our marriage to a post nup agreement that gives me the cash value of his business.

But my forgiveness is NOT dependent on his just compensation. There is nothing he can do to DESERVE my forgiveness. It is there only because I CHOOSE it to be.

BUT his just compensation DOES help restore my trust in him. It does make me feel safe in our marriage again. It does rebuild the relationship that was devastated. It does demonstrate to me his commitment to be my husband forever.

My personal belief is that forgiveness is GIVEN, not earned. It is an choice the BS makes for no reason other than it is right. Without it, marriages cannot be restored. With it, all things are possible. No matter what our FWS do, without our forgiveness, our marriages are doomed.

I know I have forgiven because I do not want my FWS to receive his "just reward" for this betrayal and abandonment. To me, that's is the only thing forgiveness is about.

But forgiveness opens to door to a lot of other wonderful things...restored relationships, peace and joy.

Last edited by tst; 02/12/10 03:02 PM.

Recovery began 10/07;

Meeting my wife's EN's is my "thank you" that refuses to be silenced.
S
S
Joan,

I think part of forgiving, for me, came with the understanding that the "why" of the affair was very complex. I came to accept that there were many threads that went into the fabric of what made the conditions ripe for an affair to happen, and that both my husband and I wove that fabric together.

The affair itself - was a cloth he wove on his own. I didn't have a part in that episode, he designed it, he made it happen.

Why he decided to go outside the fabric of our marriage is a choice he made in his mind, somehow as a decision that went very very very wrong. He knows that now, and it is obvious to him looking back. It was obvious to him at the time as well - but his choice making was to fill that inner desire first, that selfishness, that egotistical greed for self-gratification, and to do whatever it took to get that need filled over everything else in the world. Yes, it is hard to see someone you love place themself in that position, but that is simply what happens - affairs take people down into the very depths of darkness inside of themselves, where they seek only self-serving desires to be met. Nothing else explains their behavior. The "id" takes over: I want what I want, when I want it. There is not a strong enough voice telling them to stop - not one loud enough that the overwhelming id cannot shout down.

In the case of the affair - the affair wins because they want what they want when they want it - and nothing gets in the way. Once the affair runs its course, they look back in horror at their own behavior and realize how stupid each and every step along the way was.

Which is why your husband feels remorse now. And why you cannot understand this - because you know that prior to all of this, your husband's behavior never would have appeared to tend to take him down this path.

The problem is - we can all end up down this path - given the right set of circumstances. We must set up our marriages and relationships in the right way in order to guard them in the best way possible to reduce the possibilities of this happening. To protect ourselves from doing this very thing. MB offers those strategies.

So coming to understand that the true "why" is SO complicated that I probably won't really know one real reason helped me get to forgiving.

Also, understanding that we all are broken - just some more broken than others - and that we must recognize that in one another, helped me to see my H as someone I could forgive.

I found examples of forgiveness in the world everywhere. You forgive others for many things - look around you - is your husband less worthy of forgiveness than the guy who commits a crime, or the person who sins against you in other ways?

To look also at the concept of being secure in love.....I don't know that I've ever been secure in love. I have always worried that I'm not loveable, or that my H's love has waned. I worry about that. But if you use the MB plans, this can help a lot, because you are focused more on doing things actively every day that boost one another's love bank - which improves your ability to show and receive loving feelings. When you are doing these things, your sense of security in love rises.

And also, as you do more loving things for him, your sense of feeling more forgiving toward him should rise, too. That is, if he is also working toward meeting your EN's, and doing the work that he needs to do to make you feel safe, such as RH, and EP's.

SB

Lucky to be where I am, in a safe place to get marriage-related support.
Recovered.
Happy.
Most recent D-day Fall 2005
Our new marriage began that day. Not easily, but it did happen.
J
joan22 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Yes, I married him for better or worse, but in choosing my partner for life I never expected him to cheat or lie to me. I hate him for who he became for the OW and I am afraid he can switch back to cheating as easily as he did the first time. I want to try to work through this, because I love him and I want to believe that we can survive this, however, I have decided that I won't stay with him if it happens again. I can't put myself through this multiple times.

Your perspective does make me hopeful for the future, thank you for the suggestions.

J
joan22 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Tst,
Thank you, this was helpful on the topic of forgiveness.
I need to think hard about it.....

J
joan22 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
SB,
Your insights make so much sense to me. Although I don't like it that he gave in to the affair and now wants to make our marriage work, your explanation seems possible to me.
Thank you!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 258 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation