Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
K
Krazy71 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I understand this won't be a popular opinion on this particular board, but sometimes I'll read a few topics and shake my head in disbelief. This is only my opinion, and I wish I would've taken my own advice years earlier.

How should you deal with your spouse's affair(s)? You should divorce them asap. Period. No second chances, regardless of finances, kids, etc. Sure, there are some positive stories of reconciliation on Marriage Builders, but this place is not an accurate cross-section of real life. No matter how much you love your WS, no matter what they promise, odds are that they will either cheat again at some point, you'll be stuck in mediocre-at-best marriage, or both.

You can't really rebuild trust after being betrayed like that. Some people claim they have, but I simply don't believe them. I think they are deluding themselves out of fear of ending the marriage. They can't do better than a cheater? Really? I can.

These WSs deserve to dropped like a bad habit, and every BS deserves better. If you don't think you deserve a partner who HAS NEVER cheated on you, then you should take a hard look at your self-esteem. Unconditional love should only apply to your kids, if anyone at all. I don't think it's healthy to continue to love someone who physically, mentally, and emotionally tortured you so they could have an orgasm or an ego boost.

Dump them. I walked out on my ex after trying for 3 years to get over what she did to me. It was the best move I've made in my entire life. She doesn't deserve me, and your WS/FWS doesn't deserve you, and never will.

Divorced
R
R
Sorry to hear your M ended, mine too. However MB prepared me to survive WW' A and helped me move on. I have no regret doing painful plan A then plan B.

I am now happily married and using MB. It worth all the pain I have to go through.

-rh-

Give your absolute best such that you could look back 10 years from now w/ no regret.

Happily Married to Lady Elina - 04/29/06
S
S
Damn, that was harsh.

However, I think you're missing a big point.

What you wrote here absolutely applies when only one of the marriage partners is on board with trying to recover the marriage. What surprised me the most is that the reluctant one is usually the wayward. Totally the opposite of what I would have thought before living through it myself.

I'm still committed to saving my marriage, but that committment is weakening daily. It's just hard to shoulder the whole load and be the only one trying to change.

I think there's a common thread that goes through all of these stories. The successful recoveries only happen when BOTH parties are fully committed. Otherwise, the outcome is nearly certain.

M
M
Originally Posted by Krazy71
I understand this won't be a popular opinion on this particular board, but sometimes I'll read a few topics and shake my head in disbelief. This is only my opinion, and I wish I would've taken my own advice years earlier.

How should you deal with your spouse's affair(s)? You should divorce them asap. Period. No second chances, regardless of finances, kids, etc. Sure, there are some positive stories of reconciliation on Marriage Builders, but this place is not an accurate cross-section of real life. No matter how much you love your WS, no matter what they promise, odds are that they will either cheat again at some point, you'll be stuck in mediocre-at-best marriage, or both.

You can't really rebuild trust after being betrayed like that. Some people claim they have, but I simply don't believe them. I think they are deluding themselves out of fear of ending the marriage. They can't do better than a cheater? Really? I can.

These WSs deserve to dropped like a bad habit, and every BS deserves better. If you don't think you deserve a partner who HAS NEVER cheated on you, then you should take a hard look at your self-esteem. Unconditional love should only apply to your kids, if anyone at all. I don't think it's healthy to continue to love someone who physically, mentally, and emotionally tortured you so they could have an orgasm or an ego boost.

Dump them. I walked out on my ex after trying for 3 years to get over what she did to me. It was the best move I've made in my entire life. She doesn't deserve me, and your WS/FWS doesn't deserve you, and never will.

I'm sorry terrible things happened to you, Krazy, and I hope you're moving on in a healthy way.

I have to say that my sitch is different than yours. Everyone's got their own personal elements in the A's they're dealing with.

Another poster said something a few days ago that I've decided to wear on my heart: words to the effect of "I didn't vow to love him and stay with him just when times are good." I made a promise to myself and everyone in that church when we married. I intend to keep those vows, even in knowing this terrible thing he did.

The only way I would release myself from my vows would be if he were to hurt me again, knowing the terrible fallout we've had to cope with. And I do trust that that will never happen again. Trust, but verify. smile

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

K
Krazy71 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
To each his/her own, but I don't understand the desire to keep your vows when they've already broken theirs.

I know I can do better than a cheater. I will, or I'll be alone. Staying makes you a doormat, because they got away with it. They can ramble on forever about how remorseful they are, how the guilt is killing them, etc., but at the end of the day they fooled around, and kept their spouse.

Why not incorporate a "One time piece of tail on the side" clause in your wedding vows?

Divorced
G
G
Dump them. I walked out on my ex after trying for 3 years to get over what she did to me. It was the best move I've made in my entire life. She doesn't deserve me
RA ?

Me 34
WW 30
Abandoned Feb 17th 08, D-Day Aprl 27th 08.
Returned home Jul 7th, OC born 12/30/08
The FOG is clear, and we are in recovery.
I
I
Krazy, I understand your perspective, but have you ever considered there might be more to some situations. For example, I can't remember if there are kids involved in your case, but for me, a quickie divorce would mean that some skanky OW would have half-custody of my children. I'd rather chew on glass than to have that happen.
From my perspective, it would have been selfish of me to just walk, and tell my kids, "sorry, good luck spending half your life with the WH and his young OW." I invested way too much in them to just abandon them.

Me:BW, FWH 1DD 1DS
K
Krazy71 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by Gack1
Dump them. I walked out on my ex after trying for 3 years to get over what she did to me. It was the best move I've made in my entire life. She doesn't deserve me
RA ?

Never. I wised up and realized I deserve better. I refuse to believe that a former cheater is the best I can do.

Divorced
M
M
To each his/her own, but I don't understand the desire to keep your vows when they've already broken theirs.

I know I can do better than a cheater. I will, or I'll be alone. Staying makes you a doormat, because they got away with it. They can ramble on forever about how remorseful they are, how the guilt is killing them, etc., but at the end of the day they fooled around, and kept their spouse.

Why not incorporate a "One time piece of tail on the side" clause in your wedding vows?

It's not a game of even-steven. We'd go nuts splitting hairs over who met whose emotional needs better if the idea was to be King of the Mountain. Life sucks. Or is great. Depends on how you look at it, and depends on what you do with what you're dealt. I think life is great!

BTW, the easiest thing I could have done would have been to walk. Staying has shown me a person I didn't know I was, and I like that person.

And if I'd walked, I'd be leaving someone who has now become the perfect husband. Why would I let someone else have that after all the work I've done? smile

D-Day 2-10-2009

K
Krazy71 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by imanotherone
Krazy, I understand your perspective, but have you ever considered there might be more to some situations. For example, I can't remember if there are kids involved in your case, but for me, a quickie divorce would mean that some skanky OW would have half-custody of my children. I'd rather chew on glass than to have that happen.
From my perspective, it would have been selfish of me to just walk, and tell my kids, "sorry, good luck spending half your life with the WH and his young OW." I invested way too much in them to just abandon them.
Kids are never an excuse to get married, or to stay married. As long as you are married, they get to spend 100% of their time around a WS. How is that any better?

Divorced
A
A
I tend to agree with you, Krazy. MB success stats are so skewed. 100%! It is to laugh.

Oh wait, fine print. Both BS and WS first must be fully on board with the program and, hmmm, reconciliation has to actually succeed. Yay, another success! Only then is their case put into the yet-another-success bin. Which seems to be the only bin available, actually.

IMO D first. Then see if you might want to get back together at your leisure. Usually best not to though. I wasted 5 years trying MB. D at my leisure is now the plan. D should have been the plan from the beginning. Come on, a continuous 10-year VLTA? How could that ever have been reconciled, MB or not MB? I was a fool to think it could be.

"Never forget that your pain means nothing to a WS." ~Mulan

"An ethical man knows it is wrong to cheat on his wife. A moral man will not actually do it." ~ Ducky

WS: They are who they are.

When an eel lunges out
And it bites off your snout
Thats a moray ~DS
M
M
I

Glad you're happy! ITA!!!

They're inhumane!

Fog my rear! Ingrained entitlement is more like it.

R
R
I don't know if you get MB counseling but 3 years of trying will bankrupt Love Bank for sure.

-rh-

Give your absolute best such that you could look back 10 years from now w/ no regret.

Happily Married to Lady Elina - 04/29/06
T
T
Hey Krazy, nice to see you!

I have to say I understand Krazy's pov quite well, but I also understand those who do make every attempt to recover their marriage. Is it easier to walk? Not necessarily when you factor in extenuating circumstances such as children and finances. There are many reasons to attempt recovery, not the least of which is the basic knowledge that you KNOW you did everything you could. And anybody that remembers Krazy's sitch knows that he did.

The one thing I agree wholeheartedly with Krazy on is that our WS's DO NOT DESERVE us at all. And no amount of overanalyzing who didn't meet whose ENs will make a difference. When you lay all your cards on the table, waywards are simply undeserving of a faithful spouse. Period. Some just happen to be very fortunate that their BS will even consider giving them a second chance. And great for you if you (the BS) can do that. But it's not for everyone.

K
Krazy71 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by maritalbliss

It's not a game of even-steven. We'd go nuts splitting hairs over who met whose emotional needs better if the idea was to be King of the Mountain. Life sucks. Or is great. Depends on how you look at it, and depends on what you do with what you're dealt. I think life is great!

BTW, the easiest thing I could have done would have been to walk. Staying has shown me a person I didn't know I was, and I like that person.

And if I'd walked, I'd be leaving someone who has now become the perfect husband. Why would I let someone else have that after all the work I've done? smile

The fact that leaving is easier than staying after infidelity is the biggest indicator that it's the correct course of action, in my opinion.

Divorced
I
I
Originally Posted by imanotherone
Kids are never an excuse to get married, or to stay married. As long as you are married, they get to spend 100% of their time around a WS. How is that any better?
Well, Krazy, you didn't answer my question about whether you had kids or not. First of all, my H, while maybe of weak character, is more likely to remain a FWH than a WxH married to an OW with half custody of my dis. This way they get to spend 100% of their time with me, which I have to say is MUCH BETTER.
But I understand your bitterness.

I
I
OK, I just went back and read your first posts from 2007. Looks like the pain of discovery was too much for you. Maybe you would have recovered had you just bashed the OM in the kneecaps. It seems like it's more about pride and disrespect than it is about family. I just don't understand how you feel ok about leaving your children with a wayward in an unchecked situation.
I mean, you have very limited influence over your children as your WXW continues her skanky behavior. Is that really what your daughter needs to see as a role model? At least while with you, the WW has to tone it down or keep it in darkness. I dunno.

G
G
K71,

Quick question, do you feel MB helped improve you, or improved your chances of a better next relationship.

Gamma

G
G
Every BS has the right to divorce there WS or FWS at any point. They wayward gave the BS that right when they cheated.

Krazy tried, but he just couldn't get past it.
He divorced without a RA.

You did it right Krazy, you have my respect!
(But I am sorry MB could not work for you)

Question
How is/did XFWW taking the fallout of her choosing to cheat?
(Divorce)

The fact that leaving is easier than staying after infidelity is the biggest indicator that it's the correct course of action, in my opinion.
I have always found for me that the harder path is the more rewarding and therefore correct choice. But that's just me.

Last edited by Gack1; 03/09/10 01:39 PM.

Me 34
WW 30
Abandoned Feb 17th 08, D-Day Aprl 27th 08.
Returned home Jul 7th, OC born 12/30/08
The FOG is clear, and we are in recovery.
M
M

Easy doesn't necessarily equal better, though. I go with my gut instinct every time, which is sometimes the harder road. It hasn't failed me yet, though.

Again, A's have their own personalized agony for every poster. Each person has to look at what they've been dealt and go from there. I'd be the last one to say married people have to stay together regardless of what happens.

D-Day 2-10-2009

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 671 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation