Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
Hey Bit!

I did not want to continue TJ�ing on Wheels_spinning�s thread. Don�t know if you will see this one over here but what the heck.

A few friends of mine played Axis and Allies for what seemed like weeks on end years ago.

I have the computer version now but it misses something without the human opponent experience.

I do however like the computer version to try different situations. One of my favorite is to play as the Americans with the Germans and Japanese �turned up� to the max as generals and England and Russia �turned down� to dimwits.

Then I go into a full blown isolationist and defense only strategy and let poor England and Russia suffer the full effect of the Axis blows all alone. Eventually though the Axis notices your North American kingdom you have to make your stand. What a fight it turns into.

Good to hear there is still old hex board game people still alive.

Last edited by chrisner; 03/09/10 01:52 PM.

Testosterone boys! Testosterone! It ain’t just for nose, ear and back hair anymore!
B
B
Yes, we are definitely a dying breed. I have a group of friends from El Paso I still get together with every now and again to play Axis - there was an anniversary edition out, each country's pieces in their own little cardboard box, new units, new techs, several new map territories added. But it will probably be a year or more before I can get back; driving 600 miles with three small kids is not something I look forward to!

The computer version of Axis is gawdawful. I've found some better games through Matrix Games - like World at War - that support play by email. It's hard to just get a free hour to play a computer game any more, much less coordinate being on line for the same hour with a friend. I really enjoyed Hearts of Iron, but again that's a real-time game.

I had a great group in Phoenix - we'd play Kingmaker, Age of Renaissance, and so on. We actually had a Circus Maximus league going; one of the guys built a large chariot racing stadium, scenery, and chariots. It was a blast.

When I moved to NC I had a small group in Chapel Hill, but it was irregular. I finally gave up and started playing Warhammer Fantasy and Battlefleet Gothic...talk about your ambiguous rules sets! sigh

If you ever need to sell any of your old AH or SPI games, keep an old fellow grognard in mind!

Hitch...I saw you...you're alive!

Me - 44
DW - 39
Married 16 years
DS10
DS6
DD4
C
OP Offline
C
Yeah, it�s definitely a blast from the past.

We (5-6 friends) once played SPI�s Waterloo in my parent�s basement for 2-3 months. The 4-maps had to be tapped to a 4x8 sheet of plywood on an old kitchen table. There were like 1,500 colored counters representing France, England, Prussians, Brunswick, Kings German Legion, and the Dutch leaders, infantry, cavalry and artillery. It was huge. The map was beautiful with all the counters on it.

Around the same time a friend who had never defeated me in a board wargame bought The Siege of Minas Tirith. He practiced on a couple other friends first and thought he had the perfect strategy down as Gondor to defeat me as Mordor. The pieces were set up with a screen between you so you could not see your opponent�s initial setup.

When we pulled the screen his jaw just dropped. He thought I would line up everything in slow moving column down the road leading to the main gate so I could get the Grond up as quick as possible. Instead I had put all the Mordor forces in battle line that stretched across the entire map in depth and had abandoned the Grond to the rear as excessive baggage. He had almost the entire (small) Gondor force set up on the road for a sortie with the plan to retreat back to the gate after a delay fight.

His entire force was enveloped and annihilated in around 4 game turns with the front gate of Gondor wide open and undefended. He was pissed.

My favorite computer wargames were Age of Rifles and the Total War series. The editor in Age of Rifles was amazing. A bunch of private people used the uniform editor to make a whole series of very well done Napoleonic battle scenarios that you could download from the web.

Yep, finding the time is pretty rare anymore.

Originally Posted by Bit
If you ever need to sell any of your old AH or SPI games, keep an old fellow grognard in mind!

I will do that.

"La Garde meurt mais ne se rend pas!"

All right. Now get back to the hospital, where you belong.

Last edited by chrisner; 03/09/10 05:12 PM.

Testosterone boys! Testosterone! It ain’t just for nose, ear and back hair anymore!
B
B
Yeah I remember Waterloo!

I always loved monster games. A buddy of mine painstakingly painted a map of the world on a 4x8 sheet of plywood and broke it into territories. He got the pieces from 10-12 Axis sets plus Global Supremacy pieces, and painted them different colors to represent different countries, set up a *huge* custom tech tree, and would have us over for World War III...complete with nuclear weapons and rules. It was huge fun.

Remember the Europa series? One year on break we had some diehards who set up all the maps and all the pieces. Took them a week and required a whole racquetball court. I'm not sure if they ever played or not.

I hope to pass on a love of board wargaming to my sons, if nothing else to spark an interest in history...true story: in 1990 I was over at my friend's house (the one who had the WW3 set) just to play standard Axis. There were some high school kids over. One of them said, "Oh yeah...world war two. Who won that, anyway?"

faint

Me - 44
DW - 39
Married 16 years
DS10
DS6
DD4
C
OP Offline
C
Monster games were FUN! I played SPI�s 4-map Gettysburg with friends back in the late �70�s. That game was intense.

I played in a game of Squad Leader once on a community college cafeteria floor where dozens of the hex boards were linked into a map about 3-feet wide by 20 feet long. It was a moving/meeting engagement scenario with the Germans on one side and the Americans and Brits on the other. Each player (10-12 per side) was assigned a platoon group of infantry, artillery or armor. As your turn came you entered the board on your side and advanced into the melee. I was a German infantry platoon with a few Mercedes trucks. The fight at the middle of the board with only 3 feet of width to maneuver was epic. It surged back and forth until player fatigue ended the game. It was great fun.

When I was around 12 I wrote my own rules and hit charts to take the pieces from Battleship and fight a �Naval Engagement� on the unfinished basement floor. My friends all pooled in their Battleship pieces and it was game on. We used the little airplanes from a Revell carrier plastic model for the carrier planes. We used a floor rug as an island in the middle. Fun times.

Originally Posted by Bit Dad
I hope to pass on a love of board wargaming to my sons

I hope so too. Unfortunately, board gaming pretty much died around 1996.

Originally Posted by Bit
if nothing else to spark an interest in history

DD22 loves military history.

All of my friends became very history oriented because of our board games. We played Napoleonic, WWI, WWII, ACW, Vietnam, Korea, modern, ancient (even bugs against bugs and of course an occasional visit to Middle Earth) and everywhere in between. Virtually all of us were straight A students. Co-ink-a-dink? Probably not.

. One of them said, "Oh yeah...world war two. Who won that, anyway?"

Funny, yet sad.

C
OP Offline
C
Hey Bit, if you're out there go look into GMT's game Combat Commander. I played it with a friend last night and it was a hoot.

Very similar in look to Squad Leader but with a lot more fog and confusion.

F
F
Geez, isn't there enough fog and confusion on the SAA forum?

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,071 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation