Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16
I
I
Mark, that was not a thread hijack! I think it is very pertinent to the discussion. Also, to call a spade a spade, there is really some gray area here between POJA and the EN of admiration. Let me discuss in MB terms...

When a W asks "Do you think I look fat in these jeans?", what I hear is really "Can you please give me some Admiration?" If you want her to lose weight, this is not the time to express it. I suppose O&H would have you reply, "Yes, you really need to lose 20 pounds before I would wear jeans again." Or, you could say "I love you no matter what you look like in jeans," which would be equally ineffective. You might as well tell her she is unattractive. If I think my W is asking for admiration, I will give it right then and there.

In fact, it is controlling comments about how his W should look like that can lead to A's. EC's W stated that POSOM liked her hair either way, not just straight. POSOM satisfied her need for admiration, instead of trying to control her appearance to match his tastes like EC. Better that EC support her self confidence rather than let someone else do it for him. That, I believe, is the crux of the issue.

I understand the issue that it triggers EC. Is that his problem or hers? POSOM was indifferent to the hair. She straightens it once per month, and likes herself when she does. She also claims it helps the scalp (I'll take her word).

B
B
Originally Posted by ImStaying
In fact, it is controlling comments about how his W should look like that can lead to A's.

It is not a fact that EC is trying to control his wife. That may be a perception but it is not fact. The control issue is simply justification in a WS's mind.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
W
W
I can sympathize with El Camino on this one. The night my wife left our home to go on a date with the OM ( I figured it out after she left), her hair was straightened, that night I asked her not to return to our home. Even though it may sound ridiculous when her hair is straight it takes me right back to that night.

M
M
IS,

I considered a tj because it is a discussion really only peripherally related to EC's thread and the discussion is more generic and between us and not really advice for EC.

Why not start another thread or I will when I get time. We can copy the comments made so far onto that thread and continue the discussion there. I do think it is something worth discussing further if you'd like.

Watta,

I am in full sympathy with EC as well. Triggers can be very hard to overcome. It isn't just that we are reminded of the pain, we actually feel the same pain all over again.

For more about this, see the thread about Managing Memories in my sig line.

How are things today, EC?

Mark

E
OP Offline
E
ImStaying,

I think the points you're bringing up are good for the discussion at hand. However, you may be missing the point. This is about POJA and a repeated behavior that bothers me. In specific, I can't stand the situation when I'm caught off guard by getting home and finding a hairstyle change by surprise.

You can read more details about this issue a few pages back. BTW, I don't think that I am trying to control her looks. I am open to agree to a hairstyle/look that we can both enjoy. I have even agreed to her wearing her hair straight (I also wrote about it here). But the IB related to this situation is hard to take.

For whatever reason, Rizos believes that my reactions is intended to punish her when in reality it isn't. It feels like we are playing chicken. Other than my inexcusable hammering of the hairdryer, I've been very calmed and collected with my reactions to the repeated episodes of unannounced hairstyle changes.

She also claims that I didn't care about her hairstyle before. Maybe she doesn't remember but I've always cared about it. Long before I even suspected the A I would ask her to wear her curly hair. I've asked/begged her in so many different ways that I don't understand why she won't remember my numerous requests.

I tend to agree with Mark. I don't feel comfortable saying something I don't mean. If I don't like certain look I'll rather carefully say the truth. If there's a look I like, you bet that I'll say it's hot.

The truth is that OM didn't care about straight or curly hair.
A woman can find a thousand POSOM willing to give them false admiration to get in their pants. He took the opportunity to make a pass to Rizos when she first radically changed her hairstyle - and she immediately went for it. For quite a while, she sent him numerous pictures of various changes of hairstyle - all of them straight hair. She'd even inexplicably send the same pictures in separate messages to OMW (who used to be a close friend). But I can hardly see the same effort in looking attractive to me which is sad.

Rizos has a natural beauty that I really admire. I wish I can have the opportunity to express it.

Well, I never imagined to make so much fuss about hair. Hopefully we can straighten this out smile

--ElCamino72

E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by _Larry_
I have only one thing to add.

She may be expecting the romance from you. That is her cultural heritage and she cannot escape it at this time.

There is something here that is a small thing, often overlooked, that might help.

Maybe treating this as a new romance instead of the recovery of the old one. Get it? Maybe just in small ways at first.

So when you replace the hair dryer, maybe you include the rose. She expects the passion from you, and you gave her the passion of marriage and control. Maybe the passion of courtship would help.

You think?

Larry

Hi Larry,

You're completely right. One of her top ENs is affection. She craves romanticism. For a long time I neglected this need. During my plan A I was doing good adjustments in this area. It hasn't come natural but I am working at creating the habit. Rizos had said that it was working great for her. So it is proven that this is key.

We're both born and raised in the same country. But we come from different backgrounds. We are in fact very different when it comes to expressing our emotions.

I'll keep in mind your comment about treating this as a new romance instead of recovering one. That is a very good approach.

She had already bought a new hair drier yesterday so I lost the opportunity to replace it. I'll figure out a way to make it up to her.

Thanks

--ElCamino72

T
T
I agree with Mark and EC on this one. I don't want you to lie to me. I just have to be mature enough to know that if I ask a question, I'd better be able to handle the answer.

Believe me, GO never hears the question, "do I look fat in these jeans?" from me. I have eyes. I know what I look like. If I need admiration, I ask him, "what do you love about me?" Thankfully, I have a man who knows how to compliment his wife without being prompted to do so.

EC, you gave Rizos a great compliment in this post: "she has a natural beauty that I really admire". I hope you have said it to her face.

ME: 45 FBS
FWH: GloveOil 43
D-Day 1/7/09 (A: 10/08-1/09)
DD: 16
DS: 12
Married: 19 years
In love for 24+ years and counting!
E
OP Offline
E
Mark et al,

Today I'm feeling like I have a bad hang over. I know that in the past days my behavior has been reproachable so I am not feeling great about it.

I stayed home and Rizos has been out all morning. She text me a few minutes ago that she was getting a facial.

Tomorrow I finally sign the sale of my company. I never expected to sell my company under these conditions. The whole ordeal of selling the company continues to indirectly withdraw LUs from Rizos LB$. I am going to have to stay as a consultant in the company for the next 6 months. I am looking at it as a lot of time of having to see OM and deal with the fallout.

I need to figure out a way to bootstrap myself to go back to plan A.

Thanks for your support. At this point is greatly needed.

--ElCamino72

B
B
Originally Posted by ElCamino72
I am going to have to stay as a consultant in the company for the next 6 months. I am looking at it as a lot of time of having to see OM and deal with the fallout.

Can you do your consulting from home or meet clients away from the office/OM? Is the sale of the company not final until this consulting period is over?

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
P
P
BTW, Rizos told me that if I do that again MelodyLane said she's going to kick my [censored].
rotflmao

There is hope for both of you guys!

_
_

Originally Posted by ElCamino
We're both born and raised in the same country. But we come from different backgrounds. We are in fact very different when it comes to expressing our emotions.

Which country? I already picked up on the cultural differences and the different backgrounds AND EASL. This will help me to provide a more fine tuned response. I have an email address as my signature for a reason.

Larry

M
M
Originally Posted by ElCamino72
I think there's a distinction between an AO and rage. There's no excuse for my AO but I can't say that this incident involved rage or physical threat to anyone.
This is definitely (100%) rage. It is a double whammy: Not only is it an angry outburst, but you say something negative about her appearance as well. That's two LB's in one fell swoop. Efficient yes, but not very effective towards R.

May I ask why a hair style is a trigger?? I know it is a cliche, but saying anything negative about a woman's appearance usually is not a good recipe for success. I would recommend something like this:

Rizos: "Do you like my hair straight or curly?"
El: "I love your hair both ways."

That's a lie, and is terrible marital advice.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3900_honesty.html

Your teammate can't meet your emotional needs if you lie about them.

Plus, it would make him a pretty disgusting hypocrite, since what he wants is openness and honesty.

You respectfully say what you need done for a love bank deposit or not done for a love bank withdrawal, without angry outbursts, disrespectful judgments, or selfish demands ... and then you see if you get what you want, or not, at this time. You'll never get it if you don't ask.

Please don't encourage anyone to lie to their wife. frown

Last edited by markos; 03/11/10 01:22 PM.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
_
_
For example:

Originally Posted by ElCamino
She craves romanticism.

I already figured that out. I have not posted on this subject to her as yet. But I will when she is ready to see it. The MB program is Cognitive Behavior Therapy and is the only one I have seen that promotes a level of infatuation on a continuing basis.

And that is what she needs. And she can only find it there because it doesn't normally exist in real life. Infatuation happens, then dies, then happens again, usually with someone else, or with an old lover, then dies again. It is a cycle in real life. But she doesn't know that, yet.

MB has the answer because it is real life for the lucky or the smart. And we can give credit to Dr. Harley for figuring it out and codifying it so those who want it can get it, when they work at it and follow the method.

Larry

I
I
Originally Posted by markos
Rizos has a natural beauty that I really admire. I wish I can have the opportunity to express it.
Perhaps the answer would be better worded: "You are beautiful regardless of hairstyle." That would not be a lie, based on his comment above.

Last edited by ImStaying; 03/11/10 01:28 PM.
_
_

Markos:

That's a lie, and is terrible marital advice.

No, no, no.

It is a funny way of attempting to teach a guy how to effectively communicate with a woman.

There is a reverse to what you say: How to lie while telling the truth, an invention of a popular writer by the name of Heinlein. Women intuitively understand this. Guys don't mostly, unless they are politicians.

When women talk, they use a knife. When men talk, we use a blunt hammer. It serves only to confuse a woman when we use a hammer in an attempt to be "Honest."

Larry

I
I
You respectfully say what you need done for a love bank deposit or not done for a love bank withdrawal, without angry outbursts, disrespectful judgments, or selfish demands ... and then you see if you get what you want, or not, at this time. You'll never get it if you don't ask.
I am sorry, but most women change hairstyles. How is demanding that a W not change their hairstyle not a selfish demand?

What would the markos POJA answer to the hairstyle be specifically?

M
M
I am sorry, but most women change hairstyles. How is demanding that a W not change their hairstyle not a selfish demand?

Nobody is suggesting that El Camino demand his wife not change her hairstyle.

"Honey, could you please not straighten your hair? It bothers me." -- is a request

"Rizos, if you straighten your hair again, I'm going to break your new hair dryer" -- is a demand

Similarly:

"I'll just straighten my hair today because I like variety and it's really not a big deal" -- is independent behavior, and a selfish demand, and a disrespectful judgment. If the circumstances are right, it might even be an angry outburst and/or dishonesty, as well.

"El Camino, I really want to straighten my hair, but since you don't like it, I won't do it for now" -- is following the POJA, and could well be followed up with negotiation, such as "Do you mind if I straighten my hair when I spend two days with my parents next month?" or "How do you feel about this other hairstyle?"

What would the markos POJA answer to the hairstyle be specifically?

I have no idea, and it wouldn't matter, anyway. The couple would have to POJA and negotiate to get any meaningful answer.

I'm only a learner at this. smile For more insight, you should ask a master at POJA, like, say, Mr Wondering...

Last edited by markos; 03/11/10 02:34 PM.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Perhaps the answer would be better worded: "You are beautiful regardless of hairstyle." That would not be a lie, based on his comment above.

But IM, that is not true. What does he say to convey his displeasure about her hairdo? If her appearance is causing LOVEBANK withdrawals, how will she know if he doesn't tell her?

Its like my jogging suits. My DH HATES THEM and does not want to be seen with me in them. He also doesn�t like it when I put my hair in a pony tail. How will I know that this causes lovebank withdrawals unless he tells me honestly? My H tells me the truth BECAUSE he loves me and does not want to erode the love we have in our marriage. Being open and honest about things that make you unhappy are the ONLY WAY the other spouse will have chance to change. So when my H tells me �dear, those pants ARE NOT flattering at all� it is not a lovebuster! He is saving me from looking yucky AND protecting his lovebank since Physical appearance is a top need.

In the case of EC�s wife�s hair, it is ESPECIALLY critical to the rebuilding of love in their marriage that she knows he HATES her hair like that. Admiration does not mean dishonesty or unspoken issues. It is a sincere admiration.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
[

Its not a selfish demand at all. It is warning his wife that she is making lovebank withdrawals and giving her a chance to fix it. Whenever our spouse is doing something that makes us unhappy, it should be eliminated.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Here is how you say it:

"Dear, that hairstyle upsets me greatly and triggers my feelings about the affair."

Honestly. He just has to say it.

Exposure 101

Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 783 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation