Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
NAL1979 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
after reading the post i did think about not responding but what good would that do i did not sleep one wink last nite was going over things in my head and all i have left to say is thank you.

would you guys like to hear of my progress to reclaim my marriage ?

NLowe79@hotmail.com

31 yo male
8 yrs married no more to follow
2 boys 12 n 9 yo
1 girl 5 yo
V
V
Originally Posted by NAL1979
after reading the post i did think about not responding but what good would that do i did not sleep one wink last nite was going over things in my head and all i have left to say is thank you.

Yes, I know I would.

Me & DH: 28
Married 8/20/05
1DD, 9 mo.
Just Lookin' and Learnin'
HIYA!
T
T
Definitely keep posting!!

(Larry, you're a GUY???)

P
P
Originally Posted by _Larry_
I dunno why she picked you. Maybe she thinks she can help you.

Thanks Larry ( who is a straight guy, by the way ).
I feel that this particular newbie has the desire to make a change, but doesn't have clue #1 where to begin.

You never know how many lurkers are also reading when you address someone's problems.
So, even if Nal can't muster the required changes, perhaps another person following along will decide he/she needs to change.

Sleepless Nal, the clock is ticking.
Time to unload all your comfortable bad habits, and intentionally develop new habits.

Dr Harley said this:

But Love Bank balances change for the better only when that commitment directs couples to create new habits.

Nal, do not expect one or two behavior changes to effect your wife's feelings toward you.
For her love bank to fill, she needs to see that your changed behaviors are not one-time or two-time events.

YOU need to develop habits that fill HER love bank.
That takes effort and consistency.

So, to be sure your new behaviors are on target (to fill her love bank) you need to KNOW what her top ENs are.

Which
Is
Why
You
Ask
Her
What
You
Can
Do
For
Her
Today
(everyday)

Good luck Nal

A
A
Nal,

You have already seen the word "actions" written over and over in this thread. There is a reason. Actions are the only thing that matter to your BW, your feelings don't. Although it seems she is out the door, don't lose hope. My H was out the door but he has come back in. The only thing that helped him back through the door on my part were my actions. When I simply cried to him about my feelings, it made NO DIFFERENCE. A BS's indifference to your feelings is what makes you feel hopeless. Use that scary, hopeless feeling to spur you to ACTION. When a person is faced with death, they suddenly try harder to protect their life than they ever have. It's the same with your M. It's almost dead, so get that life saving adrenaline rush and align ALL of your actions with the MB principles.

If you take mroe action than you ever have and align your actions with the MB principles, she will see it even if she has moved out. She will see the actions, your kids and family will see the actions and everyone will benefit.

Also, do not try to defend your past actions - EVER. When you realize that there is no defense and stop making excuses things magically get better. Seems counter-intuitive to us waywards but it works.

FWW me - 35, BH - 50, 5 kids total (blended fam)
Dday - 1/29/2010, Exposure & NC same day
Recovering slowly
P
P

I would like to hear your progress as it pertains to your understanding of MARRIAGE BUILDERS concepts.

I would like to hear your progress as it pertains to discovering what your wife needs from you, and delivering the "goods".

I would like to hear your progress as it pertains to your developing new MB habits.

I would like to hear your progress as it pertains to avoiding love busters.

Nal, it is important for you to post your progress.
It is also important that you post your failures, because there will be some.
You need to examine what you failed to do only for the purpose of learning what NOT to do in the future.

This will be a bumpy road.
Not everything you do will be the right decision.
Your intentions are important. Yes, they are.

However, we tend to judge ourselves on our intentions.
Others, our loved ones who are effected by what we do, tend to judge us on our behaviors, irregardless of our intentions.

In other words, if you intend to make your wife happy, but you do something that makes her unhappy ... the unhappy has more weight in how she will feel about you.

The MB program is filled with TOOLS to create a love-filled marriage.
Can you believe your good fortune !?!
You are on the site that has tools for you to learn behaviors/habits that will create romance and love between you and your wife.

If you use them.

Have you ever written an apology to your wife for past behaviors?

_
_

Not really. Nal, lemme tell you how to do it.

Can you read? Note that I didn't ask you if you liked to read. Note that I was also rude. That is what boot camp is all about. In boot camp, you earn the boot or you earn respect.

How much of Dr. Harley's concepts have you read?

Go back and read Pep's stuff to you, say three times. Do something she said do.

Let me give you three reasons why:

2 boys 12 n 9 yo
1 girl 5 yo

Got it? Hey pal, time to grow up and own yourself. No more excuses. Wake up in the morning and do what you gotta do.

Larry

turtle, I am so gonna get you grin

Last edited by _Larry_; 04/07/10 10:29 AM.
P
P
Thank you but there is no more luck needed she has already made up her mind I am just waiting for her to finalize things. I am putting all the blame and guilt on my own shoulders. I wish I could fix things.

Nal, seven days ago, you wrote this:

"I am just waiting"

And, you wrote this:

"I wish"

Wishing and waiting = your bad habits

I know this must be difficult to read.
But, so what? Difficulty calls a motivated man to action.
Your marriage, your family, and YOU are in crisis ... because of "wishing and waiting".

L
L
Pep!!!

How do you say so much.....with so few words...???

_
_
She went to the "Coffee, tea or not me" school.

rotflmao

Larry

P
P
Originally Posted by Lexxxy
Pep!!!

How do you say so much.....with so few words...???

I learned word economy at work.
A 15-20 minute appointment time slot, when the patient presents a 10 item list of problems. (impossible)
I would say:
"You pick your number one top priority item, and I will pick mine. Those two we will work on first. If there is any time remaining, we will work on more."
It was always amazing to me how the patient would choose a problem that I considered less important. doh2 BUT, since it was important to them, I paid attention.

P
P
Originally Posted by _Larry_
She went to the "Coffee, tea or not me" school.

rotflmao

Larry

Shaddup Larry.
naughty

T
T
Nal, I would like to give you some insight from a woman's point of veiw, becuase that is what's most important in your situation-your wife's point of view.

First, you must understand her emotional needs. You may be doing things for her that you think she would like, but in reality she is looking for something different. If you really love your wife and want your marraige back you must read Dr. Harley's material so you can understand about your role in your marriage.

Most women need affection, intimacy-which includes open and honest conversation(don't confuse intimacy with sex). She needs to be told that you love her and your marriage is the most important thing, then you must show her. Coming on this site is a great start. You will show her that you are willing to do the work. Don't think you can do this for a week and think that she will believe you. Think about whatever it is you enjoy doing; be it fishing, watching sports, hunting, whatever it is. How much time do you spend on the stuff you enjoy. Do you access the internet to get the latest updates on your stuff. Do you make time to watch your sports on tv. Well, think about how much you long and crave to do this stuff. You are going to have to want the same thing to rebuild your marriage. Put in the same effort (or more) to save your marriage (or to show your wife that your marriage is important)

You mentioned you were in the military. When you were in boot camp you had to get up every morning and do the same vigorous routine. After boot camp you still had to do a certain routine everyday. The military required this so you would be conditioned and good at what you did. What more would you be willing to give to your marriage? Marriage can be as exciting and rewarding; this is determined by how much time you put in it and where you place it in your priority list.

This may seem a bit over-whelming, but think how over-whelming it has been for your wife to go through years of emotional pain and suffering. Hang in there and don't give up so easily.

T
T
Pep, you hit the nail on the head with your few words; it speaks volumes. I am the complete opposite, I will write a mini novel. I think I'm getting addicted to MB.

V
V
Nal, still here waiting to hear what you gotta say grin. I'd say I was waiting with bated breath, but DH might think something amiss if I fall out of my chair unconscious.

Married 8/20/05
1DD, 9 mo.
HIYA!
N
NAL1979 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I am here just dont know what to say

NLowe79@hotmail.com

31 yo male
2 boys 12 n 9 yo
1 girl 5 yo
P
P

That's OK.
You're not a writer. No big deal.
But, Nal, what are you DOING?

Just tell us that much, please.

V
V
Well, a good start would be to go back and answer all of Pep's questions. I think I had a few too. That is if you WANT a chance at saving your marriage.

Then, read through all the basic concepts. Come here and ask questions about what you don't understand. Or ask how to implement things.

We're here to HELP you save your marriage. But if it's too hard, there's nothing we can do for you. Yes, it's easier to just sit here and complain about how much it sucks to divorce. It's easier to wallow in your pain.

You know what? That won't help your children ONE bit. Their's is the pain I'm concerned about. You made the choice to become a father. You no longer have the luxury of sitting back - that is if you want to be a good father. Your children DESERVE a healthy family - and you're part of creating that.

So are you gonna man up and begin the work of giving them a better life? Or you gonna roll over - never show them what a good happy marriage looks like? Never give them a good pattern for their future?

It's tough - and it takes self introspection. You gonna do it for them?

Go back and answer Pep's questions. They're not fun questions to answer but you know what? It will be worth it.

This place can give you the tools to FIX the damage you've done to your marriage. But you have to DO something.

Married 8/20/05
1DD, 9 mo.
HIYA!
P
P

It possible you might be clinically depressed.
If you find your feet are stuck in the quicksand of indecision, make an appointment and speak to your physician.

To give you an idea, here is a link to a well known depression assessment tool:
*link*
PHQ-9 � Nine Symptom Checklist
Patient Name Date
Over the last 2 weeks, how often have you been bothered by any of the following problems? Read each item carefully, and circle your response.
Tools May be printed without permission
a. Little interest or pleasure in doing things
Not at all Several days More than half the days
b. Feeling down, depressed, or hopeless
c. Trouble falling asleep, staying asleep, or sleeping too much
d. Feeling tired or having little energy
e. Poor appetite or overeating
Nearly every day
Nearly every day
Nearly every day
Nearly every day
Nearly every day
f. Feeling bad about yourself, feeling that you are a failure, or feeling that you have let yourself or your family down Not at all Several days More than half the days Nearly every day
g. Trouble concentrating on things such as reading the newspaper or watching television
Not at all Several days More than half the days Nearly every day
h. Moving or speaking so slowly that other people could have noticed. Or being so fidgety or restless that you have been moving around a lot more than usual Not at all Several days More than half the days Nearly every day
i. Thinking that you would be better off dead or that you want to hurt yourself in some way
Not at all Several days More than half the days Nearly every day
If you checked off any problem on this questionnaire so far, how difficult have these problems made it for you to do your work, take care of things at home, or get along with other people?
Not Difficult at All Somewhat Difficult Very Difficult Extremely Difficult
Copyright held by Pfizer Inc, but may be photocopied ad libitum
PHQ-9 � Scoring Tally Sheet
Patient Name Date
1. Over the last 2 weeks, how often have you been bothered by any of the following problems? Read each item carefully, and circle your response.
2. If you checked off any problem on this questionnaire so far, how difficult have these problems made it for you to do your work, take care of things at home, or get along with other people?
Not at all
Several days
More than half the days
Nearly every day
a. Littleinterestorpleasureindoingthings
b. Feelingdown,depressed,orhopeless
c. Troublefallingasleep,stayingasleep,or sleeping too much
d. Feelingtiredorhavinglittleenergy
e. Poorappetiteorovereating
f. Feeling bad about yourself, feeling that you are a failure, or feeling that you have let yourself or your family down
g. Troubleconcentratingonthingssuchas reading the newspaper or watching television
h. Movingorspeakingsoslowlythatother people could have noticed. Or being so fidgety or restless that you have been moving around a lot more than usual
i. Thinking that you would be better off dead or that you want to hurt yourself in some way
Totals
Not Difficult At All
Somewhat Difficult
Very Difficult
Extremely Difficult
Tools May be printed without permission
How to Score PHQ-9
Scoring Method For Diagnosis
Scoring Method For Planning And Monitoring Treatment
Major Depressive Syndrome is suggested if:
� Of the 9 items, 5 or more are circled as at least "More than half the days"
� Either item 1a or 1b is positive, that is, at least "More than half the days"
Minor Depressive Syndrome is suggested if:
� Of the 9 items, b, c, or d are circled as at least "More than half the days"
� Either item 1a or 1b is positive, that is, at least "More than half the days"
Question One
� To score the first question, tally each response by the number value of each response:
Not at all = 0 Several days = 1 More than half the days = 2 Nearly every day = 3
� Add the numbers together to total the score. � Interpret the score by using the guide listed below:
Question Two
In question two the patient responses can be one of four: not difficult at all, somewhat difficult, very difficult, extremely difficult. The last two responses suggest that the patient's functionality is impaired. After treatment begins, the functional status is again measured to see if the patient is improving.
Score
Action
<4
The score suggests the patient may not need depression treatment.
> 5-14
Physician uses clinical judgment about treatment, based on patient�s duration of symptoms and functional impairment.
>15
Warrants treatment for depression, using antidepressant, psychotherapy and/or a combination of treatment
Tools
How to Score PHQ-9

N
NAL1979 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
we had to discuss something about the kids just now and after we got that out of the way she tells me that she is taking back control of her life and her step one is to forgive me for all the evil i have done and that forgiving me will give her peace and closure

NLowe79@hotmail.com

31 yo male
2 boys 12 n 9 yo
1 girl 5 yo
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 459 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation