Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
Here is a formula I came up with a while ago in relation to boundaries, EPs and ENs and I thought it would be interesting to start a thread on it. Here it is:

Weak Boundaries + Unmet ENs = Affair (or can)
Weak Boundaries + Met ENs = Affair (or can)
Strong Boundaries + Unmet ENs does NOT = Affair
Strong Boundaries + Met ENs does NOT = Affair

The common denominator in having an A is the WEAK BOUNDARIES, not unmet ENs.

The common denominator in NOT having an A is STRONG BOUNDARIES, not met ENs.

Discuss.

Last edited by MarriedForever; 04/15/10 01:50 PM. Reason: typos...hate 'em!

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006
D-Day #3~Feb.27, 2007 (we'd been in a FR)
Plan B~ March 3 ~ April 6, 2007

In Recovery and things are improving every day. MB rocks. smile
T
T
Is this coffee talk? Are you Mike Myers??

P
P
Originally Posted by MarriedForever
The common denominator in having an A is the WEAK BOUNDARIES, not unmet ENs.

The common denominator in NOT having an A is STRONG BOUNDARIES, not met ENs.

Seems reasonable to me.

W
W
Having strong boundaries for myself will mean that i will never have an affair. Who knows how stong my boundaries are though when my needs are not being met. Perhaps I will let my gaurd down when I am being abused by my spouse, and I could possibly have an affair.

My boundaries do not dictate the actions of my spouse. If I have strong boundaries she can still have an affair.

I would have to say the the most common denominator are EN's. Who knows, perhaps boundaries are dependant on EN's.

G
G
Your formula sounds logical to me, MF.

In a static environment (i.e., at any single point in time), it seems unassailable that boundaries are the determinative factor.

In a dynamic environment, if we introduce time into the equation, can unmet needs undermine boundaries over time? (I'm not saying they do or don't -- I don't know enough to say.)

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
M
OP Offline
M
Who knows how stong my boundaries are though when my needs are not being met.

Strong boundaries are not dependant on whether or not ENs are being met.

If they are, then they aren't strong boundaries, they are weak boundaries.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

M
OP Offline
M
can unmet needs undermine boundaries over time? (I'm not saying they do or don't -- I don't know enough to say.)

Sure, it's possible for them to be undermined but then IMHO that would mean that they are weak boundaries and not strong ones.

This is also when EPs should come into play.

Last edited by MarriedForever; 04/15/10 02:01 PM. Reason: typos again...grrrrrr!

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

D
D
Originally Posted by MarriedForever
Strong boundaries are not dependant on whether or not ENs are being met.

If they are, then they aren't strong boundaries, they are weak boundaries.

I agree.

FBW in recovery
T
T
I think for boundaries to be strong they need to be defined. I thought I had strong boundaries - good Christian girl, virgin when married, blah blah....But when push came to shove, they were weak. They were too fluid. Of course I would never go eat lunch just me and another guy...until that other guy became too close a friend. He shouldn't have been a FRIEND to begin with - not that kind.

If there are defined EP's and defined boundaries, then I think it is possible to avoid an affair even if EN's go unmet for a time. However, because I alread had an A, I believe I am naturally expected to take those boundaries and EP's to the next level.

F
F
I agree with your assessment. I have talked to WH about this concept of needs versus boundaries causing an A.

I have tried to reassure him that I understand that his needs weren't being met and that I am willing to meet those needs in the future. However, the reason he had an A was his own weak boundaries.

WH met OW at work. She worked for him initially and they first developed a mentor/mentee relationship. Then when she no longer worked for him and was promoted to his level, they began to do things they should not have been doing. They went to lunch together, traveled on business together, talked about her marriage problems, etc...

Even if I were not meeting his EN, I think it was his weak boundaries with her that led first to an EA and then to a PA. I have told him that he never should have been going to lunch with her, traveling with her and talking about personal issues with her. It was all of that time together that led to the affair and her meeting his needs, not the fact that I was failing to meet needs.

If anyone disagrees, please share. My WH claims he will be breaking up with OW again very soon and establishing no contact because he wants to come home. I am both happy/hopeful and scared to death.

I am scared of it not really being over. OW has been very harassing/persistent in past break ups and WH has had a hard time with withdrawal in the past. If there is something I am missing that could help with success in the future, I want to know.

Me = BW
Dday = 12/1/09
S
S
I agree MF. Boundaries and strong ones and as Lurioosi says defined boundaries are the key.

And I guess what we mean by defined boundaries would be EPs.

I would say that my learning about boundaries is still stopping me from having an A.

I now have tight boundaries to protect myself from my H's AOs and DJs, so these have less impact on me and they are lessening because they don't get the reaction they once did. I also have tight boundaries to protect my M - I have EPs set in place and written down.

I must add though that some of my EPs are based on ENs - ie I try to practice radical honesty with my H, this helps meet my EN for conversation and my need for care (so long as he listens). I start conversation about things that he is interested in.

I
I
Just to clarify:
Spouse A's strong boundaries = no affair committed by Spouse A
Spouse A's strong boundaries does not = no affair by Spouse B
Right?
I mean, my boundaries protect ME from having an A, but they don't protect my spouse. My SPOUSE needs to have strong boundaries to protect himself from an A, right?

Me:BW, FWH 1DD 1DS
S
S
100% agree w/you MF! Steve has worked on this with my H thankfully.

It concerns me when I have seen posters whose WSs won't acknowledge that their lack of boundaries is what led to the A. I know it's a process for some waywards but I'm just saying...

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by imanotherone
Just to clarify:
Spouse A's strong boundaries = no affair committed by Spouse A
Spouse A's strong boundaries does not = no affair by Spouse B
Right?
I mean, my boundaries protect ME from having an A, but they don't protect my spouse. My SPOUSE needs to have strong boundaries to protect himself from an A, right?

Your boundaries have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not your H has an A, if that is what you are asking.

Your boundaries protect YOU from having an A and they protect your H from becoming a BS.

Yes, your spouse must have his own boundaries in place in order to protect himself from having an A, and to protect YOu from being a BS.

Make sense?

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

M
OP Offline
M
It concerns me when I have seen posters whose WSs won't acknowledge that their lack of boundaries is what led to the A. I know it's a process for some waywards but I'm just saying...

ITA. Those who WANT to "get it" eventually do, however!

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

T
T
Okay, in case you do not graps or believe the important of these things....

I won't retype all that I just wrote in my MB101 thread, but yesterday I found myself in a situation. Someone crossed a line, and my M ain't so great right now. As I wrote in the other thread, the ONLY difference between where I was yesterday and where I was four years ago is:

BOUNADRIES
EP's
MB
Not being manic (I have BP)

But the first two are the key. You. Must. Have. Them.

Period.

T
T
tj

((lurioosi))
Good job on changing your behavior patterns. Not an easy thing to do, especially when the M ain't so great. Very tempting to just get angry and say to the devil with it all. But that is not an act of integrity, and you have grown. Big hugs.

/tj

B
B
MF,

I think you're right on the money with your equations. I've always had strong boundaries, my H, not so much. Despite both of us having unmet needs, I never came close to straying, yet he did a number of times before he completely crossed the line.

Bea

Me BW 48
FWH 49
D-days: too many to keep track of, but last one on 4/3/10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 612 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation