Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 29 of 48 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 47 48
markos #2360836 04/23/10 08:37 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by markos
No clue in the world what to do.

She's been very clearly told that it hurts me to give me these open-ended "don't talk to me" statements.

She doesn't want to do or talk about anything.
Just give her the space for now�I know it�s hard to do, but go about the daily routine�take care of yourself, make plans with the kids and invite her along, if she wants small talk, then engage in small talk�avoid discussing anything heavy�just have fun with your family.

Tonight, maybe you should�ve came home synched yourself into a good mood (nothings going to ruin this weekend) got the kids ready and said we�re leaving in 15 minutes�your welcome to come along and if she does, cool and if not, so be it�

M
markos Offline OP
OP Offline
M
My three year old came to me in tears apologizing to me for his Mommy not speaking to me. frown

I lost it. (I mean there were disrespectful judgments, selfish demands, and angry outbursts.)

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2361078 04/24/10 11:52 AM
T
T
I hope the temporary relief you felt in verbally abusing her was worth the setback you will now experience from your lack of self-control.

The only reason your three year old knew that there was a problem was because of choices the adults made (shame on both of you). You could have replied with a hug and kiss "It's okay, baby. I'm okay. Mommy is having a hard time today. Later, we can talk to her about that and how her not talking makes you feel. Right now, what do you say you and me get ready to go and have a nice time shopping with whoever wants to go?"

Instead, you unleashed abuse.

Do you think that was better for your child to see?

It's easy to justify our own bad behavior. But what you did to her was just as bad (or worse) than her choosing not to speak to you.

I think you need some help in dealing with your own anger issues if they are going to continue to be a problem in your marriage and for your children.

Me 42
H 46
Married 12 years
Two children D9 and D4 !
markos #2361708 04/25/10 01:33 PM
L
L
Okay, what would I do to make things better if I were guilty of intentionally hurting Prisca in order to stop her from hurting me? If I had done that, I think I would apologize to her for hurting her and explain to her that she was hurting me and I wanted her to stop. If she did not stop, I would then probably pull back and quit giving her an opportunity to hurt me for awhile.

Thank you.

Would you consider that listening to Prisca talk about Subject X isn't POJA'ing it?

I agree that it is not. And I am willing to listen to her talk about it. And I've said so from the beginning. Here's the original discussion from yesterday:

Originally Posted by she
Do you think we will be able to POJA Subject X this time around?

Originally Posted by me
Yes, I think so.

Originally Posted by she
it would be wonderful to have an agreement

Originally Posted by she
What if we can't POJA it? Then what?

Originally Posted by me
I think that would be a good thing to bring up with Steve.

Originally Posted by she
Oh.

Originally Posted by me
What did you hear me say when I said that?

Originally Posted by she
you don't want to talk to me about it right now

Originally Posted by me
That's true. I know that probably hurts.

However, I am willing to listen right now, if you want to talk about it.

Originally Posted by me
I will be willing to talk about it all you want after we are further along the program.

Originally Posted by she
I have no interest in discussing it further

Here's what I heard in my ol' brain...

Prisca shares her fear of not being able to POJA Subject X...she asks for your opinion. And you were with her. You're in it together.

Then she shares how much it means to her to relieve her fear. And then she shares her fear more obviously..."what if we can't?" Well, you went for the solve instead of saying the truth...

Whenever one of you shares a fear of the future, answer with honesty (not solving)..."We won't know until we get there. We'll get there together."

Steve as one of your tools...and one she doesn't want involved in Subject X. Okay. Good to know. She's not enthusiastic about using that tool...lay it down. Understand that solving fear isn't real and isn't really healthy.

And then the next day, what she heard was that she would have to feel that fear (which she looked forward to having relief from) for two to three months because you didn't want to talk about it.

Distill that into "I'm okay with you feeling anxious for that long until I'm comfortable."

No, that wasn't communicated directly or well...it's the exact same fear she hit back at you with the shut out for an undisclosed duration.

Both hurts.

You did a great thing here...you asked her what she heard...kudos. That's a fear-filled question sometimes. And you did that, anyway.

Then what?

Well...I'm confused. See, you saying you don't want to talk about it while talking about is a mixed signal. We don't do what we don't want to do...even when we're afraid, uncomfortable. You wanted communication more than the fear...you prize Prisca more...and then you say you don't want to talk about it (which includes listening to me...then you tell her if she wants to talk about it, you'll listen).

To me, you guys were talking Prisca fear and why you don't have fear (which is awesome conversation). And yes, it's in the marital code we tend to use before MB...when to rebuild connection, we change our language, go for precision and clarity, and at first, that can be awkward and a challenge in itself.

That's the fragile cup that Telly said. And you loved Telly's suggestion and bailed on not knowing how to bring it up, IMO.

And in her subsequent marital shorthand, Prisca told you just how awful it was for her to hear you say that her big fear had to engulf her until you both were further along in the program, or disclose it to Steve (which isn't what I thought you meant), or for 2-3 months.

Both of you hurt a lot in just a few minutes. Not what either of you wanted...or anticipated. You affirmed your goal together...to POJA this Subject X...and then you put it on hold as a resolution...which is very much a demand. Just like you heard her demand that you talk about what you didn't want to...

You didn't want to talk about her fear? You didn't want to acknowledge and validate her stuff? That's talking about it. What's to POJA about that? It's the very first step.

And POJA is a process...not an event. Prisca was asking if this time around you'd begin the process.

Originally Posted by LovingAnyway
And if you're saying that you will not talk about Subject X (your thoughts) because you cannot do so right now without resentment, and that you expect to have this limitation for two or three months...does that sound reasonable?

I think it is reasonable not to try to negotiate Subject X until we can negotiate smaller things successfully.[/quote]

Do you think it's reasonable if your wife says she's bleeding from a sore on on her hand...she has it...it's real...and it's there...and you say that it's reasonable to not stop the bleeding each time until you learn more about the sore?

To me, that's what transpired between the two of you. I know you would not leave your wife bleeding from the sore if you saw it...you would help to stop the bleeding (the immediate affects of hearing what is really important to you is put on hold for two to three months by your H). You would stop and bandage first...really hear and understand her fear and NOT determine if it was reasonable or not.

You'd see the blood.

I think it is reasonable to conclude that we will learn how to do that during the next month or two since we are working hard on the Marriage Builders program. I think I am very reasonable in being willing to listen to her point of view on Subject X right now. And I also think I am reasonably protecting myself in not wanting to share my opinions and suggestions about the subject since doing so on lesser things gets me punished with love busters.

Then POJA punishment. Takes two to have that cycle. One to dole it out and one to take it. Vibrissa and MrAnderson and others told you how not to take it. How to respond when you feel punished...I'm telling you how to not feel punished.

First, don't see her shut out as about you...she's shutting you out, the source of her love and loyalty. She's hurting herself, punishing herself and blaming you. It's her cycle. I suspect you have one, too.

Break the cycle by not buying in. You hurt. Own you hurt. Your job is to figure out why you hurt...not why she's in punishment mode. Shift your focus and see if your expectations of her response is part of that hurt. Expectations make it so we don't hear what our spouse is saying. And that's our part...

Know when you both are miscommunicating. Miscommunication is misunderstanding...both not being understood and not understanding. You seem great on the double-check of her...do it on yourself.

Not to decide...to listen?

Not to POJA...to listen?

I would hope you would agree that I was trying to do just that![/quote]

Sorry to disagree. I totally believe in your intent was to really hear...you didn't see the shutdown you did...because hers was far more obvious.

Originally Posted by LovingAnyway
And it's your obligation for the rule of protection to tell Prisca that your Taker is scared of her retaliation...her punishing choices.

And that you feel punished. Go further. How does it feel to you when she retaliates...hits back...punishes you, as her spouse, her partner?

Tell her.

Well, I did tell her. But only after the requests/demands that I stop emailing her. [/quote]

Would you gently consider this possibility in yourself? That when Prisca feels shut out, she shuts out back? (Mark, I think that wins the most awkward sentence award of the day.)

When you feel struck, you strike back?

Many ways we do this from our marriage of two becoming one...we can feel retaliation and we don't look at the ways we are retaliating...

This whole episode was actions from fear...not from love. Both of you contributed...and I think your fear of not knowing enough yet to not do further harm...and hers of having to wrestle her own Subject X fear for two more months alone...are what you're dealing with.

Own your fear. You have a partner who also fears...fears failing, more pain, extended pain...more sores of unknown origin...and one of you needs to act from love and not react to the fear.

I think, markos, that's really what you want most...to lead fearlessly. Won't happen. You'll feel fear. It's an unreasonable expectation...just as expecting Prisca to respond differently is unreasonable...because you are both getting to know each other in new ways today.

You had a very intimate conflict...didn't set you guys back, did harm your feeling compatible, did exacerbate your fear this marriage won't work (I call that going to the wall). Believe these conflicts will deepen your intimacy because you will keep looking at it, striving to understand, because those "lesser things" have all the same chemicals, same formula.

And you are sick from the toxins. Both of you.

You can do this. I hope Prisca will post and set me straight on her thread. She isn't safe from pain when she shuts out...she deepens it inside herself.

And when you get no response...focus on the fact you did share. It's a process. Don't judge all the steps...because the event is your marriage.

LA

M
markos Offline OP
OP Offline
M
My little children told me pretty clearly how upset they were to hear me angry with their mother. I confessed to them that I was wrong and that I should not have gotten angry and shouted. I told Prisca Friday night and then again Saturday how sorry I was, and I shared with her what the children had told me.

Prisca apologized to me for cutting off communication with me Friday without a timeframe. She said that she had felt her message implicitly meant "don't contact me for the rest of the day," so she thought there was a timeframe; hence her biting response to me when I asked about one. She didn't see that I was genuinely sincerely asking "How long?"

This is big. BIG! My wife apologized to me! So many times she has not done this, and she stepped right out and apologized and admitted fault! I feel like this is wonderful progress! This makes me feel so much better and more optimistic about the future.

We talked about Subject X and the process of coming to agreement on it. We are going to start taking a few minutes each, each week, just to talk to each other about our own viewpoints, in preparation for later work on coming to agreement.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
markos Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Mark1952
Measure with a micrometer
Mark with chalk
Cut with an axe
Fit with a hammer
Beat to fit
Paint to match

I'll try to get back to explain later if you don't figure it out before then.

Mark, when are you coming back to explain what in the world this meant? smile

markos #2362535 04/26/10 04:13 PM
M
markos Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Prisca told me she had no idea that she had told me to leave her alone without a timeframe until I came home Friday and told her.

If I had simply told her and left it at that, I would've probably received the same response a lot sooner and caused her a lot less pain. I might have needed to repeat it a few more times; not sure.

She had no idea, even though I had told her Friday from work (in email) what the problem was. I'm obviously more effective at getting my feelings and their cause across in person than I am in email.

markos #2362540 04/26/10 04:21 PM
V
V
Very good news - happy for you both!

I've found that what we percieve and what we say are often two different things. In her mind, of COURSE she meant the rest of the day - in your mind you have no clue how much time she needs so you're anxious and hurt. It IS big when you realize that and apologize when you are unclear.

We talked about Subject X and the process of coming to agreement on it. We are going to start taking a few minutes each, each week, just to talk to each other about our own viewpoints, in preparation for later work on coming to agreement.

I'm quoting LA all over the boards today but he mentioned this earlier in a thread and it's stuck with me.

There's an exercise our MC had us do for listening and sharing. You clear one 1/2 hour time slot free from all distractions (no tv, no music, no kids, no phones). One is the speaker, the other the listener (and timer). The speaker begins and talks for 20 minutes straight. The listener listens for that period, remembering what the speaker says. At 20 mins, the listener then summarizes what they heard for five minutes. Then the speaker confirms or clarifies in response to the summary, for five minutes.

This could be a safe framework to use for those discussions - each of you taking a turn on a different day to be the speaker/ listener. I'm sure LA will chime in with thoughts of her own. grin

Last edited by Vibrissa; 04/26/10 04:22 PM.

Me & DH: 28
Married 8/20/05
1DD, 9 mo.
Just Lookin' and Learnin'
HIYA!
markos #2362544 04/26/10 04:32 PM
C
C
Markos, looks like you guys hit another bump. It's great that you're back on track now. You'll get better @ this I'm sure. Each bump is a learning experience and since you both are talking about what went wrong, you can learn and grow...

I see you're both registered for the Weekend in May. Should help.

M
markos Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Vibrissa
There's an exercise our MC had us do for listening and sharing. You clear one 1/2 hour time slot free from all distractions (no tv, no music, no kids, no phones). One is the speaker, the other the listener (and timer). The speaker begins and talks for 20 minutes straight. The listener listens for that period, remembering what the speaker says. At 20 mins, the listener then summarizes what they heard for five minutes. Then the speaker confirms or clarifies in response to the summary, for five minutes.

This could be a safe framework to use for those discussions - each of you taking a turn on a different day to be the speaker/ listener. I'm sure LA will chime in with thoughts of her own. grin

That sounds like enough forced talking to make Prisca go insane and hate me for suggesting it. She doesn't like such exercises, at all. smile

But we did come up with a fairly safe arrangement that I think she likes. Going to put it on our schedule for the week. For now all we need do is just tell the other about our own point of view, and for now it'll just be a few minutes at one go.

markos #2362576 04/26/10 05:01 PM
V
V
Good for you - as long as it's something grin

Me & DH: 28
Married 8/20/05
1DD, 9 mo.
Just Lookin' and Learnin'
HIYA!
markos #2362579 04/26/10 05:03 PM
C
C
That sounds like enough forced talking to make Prisca go insane and hate me for suggesting it. She doesn't like such exercises, at all. smile

I agree. When I read it I became nauseus smile

M
markos Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Telly, it really helped Saturday, I think, for me to explain to Prisca that I did want to "POJA how/when we were going to POJA the issue," as you mentioned.

That's what I was trying to do over email Friday, but she didn't understand. She just thought I was brushing her off, giving her a perpetual "some day we'll talk about it."

markos #2362752 04/26/10 08:23 PM
N
N
markos, I don't know what Subject X refers to, but I can tell you from experience, whatever I tried to keep under wraps, it always turned out to be what I most needed to put out in the open.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
markos #2362838 04/26/10 11:26 PM
T
T
Oh Markos,

I'm so happy you guys are not only recovering from your disconnection, but growing in understanding of one another as a result.

:-)

This is definite progress--see? You are no longer NEAR where you were before. Imagine how that would have ended in the past.

SO glad for both of you, and glad that both of you are here.

Me 42
H 46
Married 12 years
Two children D9 and D4 !
M
markos Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
markos, I don't know what Subject X refers to, but I can tell you from experience, whatever I tried to keep under wraps, it always turned out to be what I most needed to put out in the open.

That may well be so, but I think Prisca doesn't want it that way.

markos #2364357 04/28/10 03:32 PM
M
markos Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Mark1952
Measure with a micrometer
Mark with chalk
Cut with an axe
Fit with a hammer
Beat to fit
Paint to match

I'll try to get back to explain later if you don't figure it out before then.

Mark, when are you coming back to explain what in the world this meant? smile

Yoohoo, Mark, I know you're posting... smile

markos #2364410 04/28/10 04:33 PM
M
M
Focus on minutia (details)

Approximate a plan (let's try THIS!)

Take a swing and see where it falls (the term ballistic comes to mind -from the Greek, ballo, meaning "I throw")

MAKE it work no matter what (Reminds me of the Army. If you have a problem. The Army has a solution. If your problem can't be solved by the solution the Army offers, you modify the PROBLEM because the solution can't be modified)

If it isn't working...try harder to make it work (If I just push harder, I know it will fit)

Cover the damage so it can't be seen (Try to make up for it after the fact)

Just an observation...

Mark

M
markos Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Came home last night to a wife full of independent behavior who didn't want to discuss anything with me.

She's got plenty of justifications.

I got better results last time when I had an angry outburst. This is very frustrating.

markos #2367758 05/04/10 06:38 PM
C
C
You just let her own her stuff. I know how frustrating it is to watch someone be destructive when you know they know better, but I also know how frustrating it is to BE someone being destructive when I know *I know* better...try to find that understanding within yourself.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
Page 29 of 48 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 47 48

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (still seeking, Comfortable Shoe), 147 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Sourdine, Abela Laye, Ardent Center, Lost@1969, Jmoor9090
71,845 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation