Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 27 of 30 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 30
S
S
SW, while it i true that your DS SHOULD have his own relationship with his father, he should also know that CHANGES TO THE VISITATION SCHEDULE IS A NOOOOOOOOO. You should just tell him that he has to go visit with his father. You need to stick to this. It's the way it was suggested to you earlier in the thread. Just treat visits with his father the same way that you treat him having to go to school. It's just something that he must do. Would you let your DS10 call the school and ask if he could not go today? Tell them that his mom has something else fun planned and he would like to go with her instead? Nope. Treat it like that and you will see the drama around the sitch go away.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
K
K
SW homeschools her son, so not sure how much that example resonates.

I wonder how much opportunity her son has to interact with people other than SW, and if that might be leading to separation anxiety.

S
S
Oh Okay, I didn't know that. Maybe about doing schoolwork then? I am certain that there are boundaries set out where DS10 HAS to do things when he doesn't want to.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
P
P
Since you home school, why not explain about the American Judicial System in an age-appropriate way? You could explain that you and his dad went to Court and a Judge decided that DS would live with Mom and when he would visit Dad. The Judge set up all the rules and you can't break the rules. It's out of your hands. That takes the heat off of you. It would be a great learning opportunity.

You could even arrange for to take your son to the courthouse one day and show him a courtroom, where the Judge sits, etc.

Then the next time he wanted to change the visitation, you could remind him about the Judge and how important it is to follow the Judge's rule.

If he asked you WHY you went to court you could tell him that Mom and Dad BOTH love DS very much and you couldn't decide together what to do so the Judge had to decide.

Don't teach him about the adversial side of it, just enough for him to understand that the Judge's word is law in this case.

P.S. Neither one of you should be making disparaging remarks (or insinuations) about the other parent in front of your DS. That is a HUGE no-no and would probably get you in lots of trouble if the Judge ever got wind of it.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by kerala
SW homeschools her son, so not sure how much that example resonates.

I wonder how much opportunity her son has to interact with people other than SW, and if that might be leading to separation anxiety.

My son has more people in his life than he has time for. Which is part of why he hates going with his dad because that is not where his 'real' life is. And RMJ has hit it dead on....this is all show. I'm not saying he doesn't love his son on some level....but it is superficial and good point that he has no problem with it being that way.

He gets plenty of interaction with others. Trust me. We aren't that negative stereotypical homeschooler who locks their kid inside all day and chains them to the bed at night. Oh, how I would love a day where I go nowhere.

And he doesn't have separation anxiety. He just doesn't want to go to hs dads. He goes to friends house fine.....stayed with his cousins without me fine in Houston....goes to my parents house fine without me. He just doesn't want to go to his dads.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by princessmeggy
Since you home school, why not explain about the American Judicial System in an age-appropriate way? You could explain that you and his dad went to Court and a Judge decided that DS would live with Mom and when he would visit Dad. The Judge set up all the rules and you can't break the rules. It's out of your hands. That takes the heat off of you. It would be a great learning opportunity.

You could even arrange for to take your son to the courthouse one day and show him a courtroom, where the Judge sits, etc.

Then the next time he wanted to change the visitation, you could remind him about the Judge and how important it is to follow the Judge's rule.

If he asked you WHY you went to court you could tell him that Mom and Dad BOTH love DS very much and you couldn't decide together what to do so the Judge had to decide.

Don't teach him about the adversial side of it, just enough for him to understand that the Judge's word is law in this case.

P.S. Neither one of you should be making disparaging remarks (or insinuations) about the other parent in front of your DS. That is a HUGE no-no and would probably get you in lots of trouble if the Judge ever got wind of it.

I'm not saying disparaging remarks about his dad. I say I've been hurt by the adultery....but I don't say it much anymore.

Also, I do explain to him that the visitaiton is a court order....but your explanation above won't work exactly because XH and I signed off on the custody and visitation schedule....it wasn't set by the judge except to sign it in to the decree.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Scotland
Oh Okay, I didn't know that. Maybe about doing schoolwork then? I am certain that there are boundaries set out where DS10 HAS to do things when he doesn't want to.

Well, he has to do things all the time that he doesn't want to do. He doesn't run the show around here if that is what you all thing. He has to take a shower every night even when he protests that he isn't dirty. He has to unload the dishwasher, fold the clothes, feed the dog. He knows all about responsibilitities. He totally understands the decree. He also totally understands that it can be changed when all parties agree. For instance when his dad went to NYC with OW he cancelled. When his dad went to FL with OW and her son, he cancelled. So it doesn't seem unreasonable to ds that his dad let him cancel when ds has something fun to do.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by schoolbus
SW,
You asked what your XH meant by his email?
"I hope you get better as well. Incidents like the one on Wed. are not only uncalled for but are also damaging to ds.

If you think jerking a brownie out of his hand and throwing it on the ground hurts me you are mistaken. Even if it did, it surely does more to ds and you should be ashamed of yourself."

By "I hope you get better as well" he is implying that he sees you as having difficulties accepting what has happened, and that he thinks maybe your thinking has been affected. By pointing to the reaction of throwing the brownies on the ground, he is trying to tell you that this seems to him to be out of character for you - that he doesn't think he has seen it before, he feels it extreme from you, and it worried him. He points to it as a break in what would be your "usual" behavior, and says you must have been "feeling bad", because he wants to tell you that he thinks this is way out of line, and he also is pushing you hard on it - with an added point that this is now in writing, and he is documenting this incident.

Throwing the brownies in the yard was impulsive. I didn't think....I just did it. That is on me. Further discussion with ds revealed that ds had asked if he could take some brownies home....and in XH's defense (can you believe I am saying that?) what was he suppose to say to his son? I should have sucked it up and heard the whole story first....it wasn't quite like OW SENT me brownies.

The line "Even if it did" tells you that IT DID HURT HIM. First he denies that it hurt his feelings, but he does go ahead and confirm that it did with this phrase. However, the hurt is not quite exactly what you wanted it to be, SW.

You wanted a demonstration of your anger towards the OW, and to inflict pain at your XH as well.

The resulting message you got back was that your XH is somewhat worried that your emotional state has been very affected by his affair and the resulting divorce, and what he saw you do seemed to him to be out of character for you. Further, he tells you that he is concerned that this type of outburst is unhealthy for DS (he has his point here). While his message does have some self-serving meaning in it, there is also a truthfulness to his message that is in there. The tone that he carries in this email speaks two ways, and about fairly evenly: first, the self-serving way that would serve him later if he were to need it for a court issue, and second regarding a true concern for what the divorce is doing to you emotionally.

I found the phrase 'I hope you get better too.' very odd. I think when I continue to show my pain to him he is uncomfortable. I think he would much prefer I just smile and act like all is well. Back to his lack of depth...he likes a shallow world

I do see both in this communication, and I believe that if he were to be interviewed, both motivations would be equally important to him. This man is torn over this incident. It hit him very hard.

There is a third issue for him that rides below the surface of the communication: embarrassment. The underlying tone of the letter is embarrassment, and it is as though he is admonishing you somewhat discreetly. I wondered if he did this kind of thing during your marriage, only in a different manner?

Your XH does like drama. He also does not like being on Plan B. You have to pull yourself back from him, and your best bet right now is the five word rule. Emotionally, and in the recovery process, you just are too raw for much contact with him. Impose the rule, even when you don't want to - use is ESPECIALLY when you think you MUST talk to him using more than five words. That is precisely the time that you MUST USE 5 WORDS. That is the time you are out of control, and the 5 words reduces mistakes on your part.

This part is VERY true. Yesterday I had to speak to him on the phone about the change in visitation....and I said, 'would you send me an email confirming that please?' He said, 'Yeah..' and then begins to explain his position of wanting his time with his son. He really wanted to talk to me about it....I cut him off and said, 'I just need an email to confirm.'

It also forces you to STOP and THINK. Which forces you to control yourself. That is the beauty of the rule.

The part of your analysis that worries me is that I may be making myself look unstable. He has always done that....pushed me to the breaking point and then act all indignant about my 'crazy' behavior. I m ust remember that I am responsible for my reactions regardless of his button pushing. I have to remember that I am actually free of him and I do not have to be controlled by him anymore. I don't think there is anyway he could actually prove PAS with the limited things I've said or done....but he is stupid enough to try and make a big deal out of it or at least threaten me with it.

Thanks for your help as always SB.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by RareMamaJewel
Don't you see how free you are now? Free of walking on eggshells, of always questioning and doubting yourself, of always putting yourself second to meet the EN's of a man who can't even be honest with himself? You're free....free to direct your life in the way it should go.

I've re read this part about ten times and it is very helpful to me. If I could only get past the part where my son has to be subjected to a homewrecking w*ore I wouldn't feel so bad.

I understand and empathize that you have to deal with wayturd for DS. But listen, I promise you this, the best thing you can do is live your own morally straight, God fearing, God loving, full life. It's best for you and it's best for DS because he surely isn't going to see his dad living it.

Go dark, Smiley and live free!

I am feeling MUCH better....

Yesterday after he sent the email confirming that he would allow ds to trade out Sunday afternoon for two extra evenings this week....I sent him a text 'thank you for letting him go today.' He responded back..'Ur welcome. Hopefully we can work together so he has fun and I don't loose any time I am suppose to have with him.'

His replies are almost ALWAYS an hour in coming. I feel pretty sure he runs everything by her first...and it is all about him looking calm and reasonable.

R
R
Originally Posted by SmilingWoman
Don't you see how free you are now? Free of walking on eggshells, of always questioning and doubting yourself, of always putting yourself second to meet the EN's of a man who can't even be honest with himself? You're free....free to direct your life in the way it should go.

I've re read this part about ten times and it is very helpful to me. If I could only get past the part where my son has to be subjected to a homewrecking w*ore I wouldn't feel so bad.

This is where Faith comes in. Give it over to God, because there is nothing you can do about it. It only takes away from your greater good and son's greater good if you worry and fret.

All you can do is move forward. Focus your energies on serving God by being a mom and finding God's new Will for your life. XWH used his free-will to reject M and that ended your vocation as a wife. However, you're still a mom. Continue showing DS the healthy, God-fearing way to live by loving God, walking in Faith, and surrounding yourself with folks who do the same. When you do this, you leave the onus on XWH for his bad choices. XWH won't be able to blame you and DS will hopefully see the error of his father's way as he grows into manhood.

I understand and empathize that you have to deal with wayturd for DS. But listen, I promise you this, the best thing you can do is live your own morally straight, God fearing, God loving, full life. It's best for you and it's best for DS because he surely isn't going to see his dad living it.

Go dark, Smiley and live free!

I am feeling MUCH better....

Yesterday after he sent the email confirming that he would allow ds to trade out Sunday afternoon for two extra evenings this week....I sent him a text 'thank you for letting him go today.' He responded back..'Ur welcome. Hopefully we can work together so he has fun and I don't loose any time I am suppose to have with him.'

His replies are almost ALWAYS an hour in coming. I feel pretty sure he runs everything by her first...and it is all about him looking calm and reasonable.

I hope things continue to get better for you.

Likely XWH does run it by OW. It's the psychology of it. They are two adults who made the choice to break up their families. That's not good and they know it. But it's difficult for them to admit they did something terrible. That's why they have to team up to make the innocent parties the reason for their bad choices, kwim?

Live, love, and laugh because the best is yet to come!
S
S
SW,

I've thought about this, and want to give it back to you:

The part of your analysis that worries me don't worry, because you figured it out, and actually put it to very good use....follow me.... is that I may be making myself look unstable. in his eyes, perhaps....but those of us who have been there, done that, know that throwing brownies is probably a fairly mild thing! He has always done that....pushed me to the breaking point and then act all indignant about my 'crazy' behavior. you say this, then catch YOURSELF...very good! I must remember that I am responsible for my reactions regardless of his button pushing. exactly, grasshopper, exactly I have to remember that I am actually free of him and I do not have to be controlled by him anymore. the truth of this is...you never were controlled by him....he led you down a path and convinced you that his mind was better...it is not...I hope you see that now... I don't think there is anyway he could actually prove PAS with the limited things I've said or done....but he is stupid enough to try and make a big deal out of it or at least threaten me with it. the best part of this is that you SEE this...which means you can PREVENT his threats, the behaviors, the whole thing - he does not even know that YOU SEE IT....this gives you the full and complete advantage.

Because you have LEARNED.

Because you have CHANGED.

He has not.

He is stagnant

because he remains in his affair

he will not make changes until THAT CHANGES.

You, on the other hand, are moving forward in your personal growth.

You see things - the example is right here.

Put it in your toolbox.

And then use the tool to work on yourself.

Lucky to be where I am, in a safe place to get marriage-related support.
Recovered.
Happy.
Most recent D-day Fall 2005
Our new marriage began that day. Not easily, but it did happen.
I
I
I hope your meeting went well with the friend of a friend.

When you were talking about how your WXH always drove you to breaking point and then called you on acting crazy. I think I mentioned before, my WH did the same thing. At the time I bought into it. I mean I was acting like an idiot. Now I think about the things he was doing, of course I was acting crazy. I wasnt removing myself from the situation.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Its_Madness

When you were talking about how your WXH always drove you to breaking point and then called you on acting crazy. I think I mentioned before, my WH did the same thing. At the time I bought into it. I mean I was acting like an idiot. Now I think about the things he was doing, of course I was acting crazy. I wasnt removing myself from the situation.

One of my favorite scriptures...... Eccl 7:7�'For mere oppression may make a wise one act crazy, and a gift can destroy the heart.'

And yes, I have acted like an idiot. smile

S
OP Offline
S

Oh my. It went well. Very very well. He drove 2 hours (each way) to have dinner with me after he got off work at 5:00.

He is of my faith....tall, very very goodlooking...very very fun. And we have great chemistry. I'm happy.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by schoolbus
SW,

I've thought about this, and want to give it back to you:

The part of your analysis that worries me don't worry, because you figured it out, and actually put it to very good use....follow me.... is that I may be making myself look unstable. in his eyes, perhaps....but those of us who have been there, done that, know that throwing brownies is probably a fairly mild thing! He has always done that....pushed me to the breaking point and then act all indignant about my 'crazy' behavior. you say this, then catch YOURSELF...very good! I must remember that I am responsible for my reactions regardless of his button pushing. exactly, grasshopper, exactly I have to remember that I am actually free of him and I do not have to be controlled by him anymore. the truth of this is...you never were controlled by him....he led you down a path and convinced you that his mind was better...it is not...I hope you see that now... I don't think there is anyway he could actually prove PAS with the limited things I've said or done....but he is stupid enough to try and make a big deal out of it or at least threaten me with it. the best part of this is that you SEE this...which means you can PREVENT his threats, the behaviors, the whole thing - he does not even know that YOU SEE IT....this gives you the full and complete advantage.

Because you have LEARNED.

Because you have CHANGED.

He has not.

He is stagnant

because he remains in his affair

he will not make changes until THAT CHANGES.

You, on the other hand, are moving forward in your personal growth.

You see things - the example is right here.

Put it in your toolbox.

And then use the tool to work on yourself.

I heart you SB. Thank you. I had a DATE tonight. I left ds at his dad's for an extra hour....I am pretty sure OW was there for dinner, but I don't know FOR SURE because I didn't ask!!!! I didn't care. Progress.

I texted XH when I would be there...sat in his driveway chatting with my mom on the phone hoping he would just send ds out....finally had to hang up with mom and text XH that I was there....Ds comes out....then XH walks out behind him...with no shirt...gag...trying to impress me with his bod?

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by SmilingWoman

Oh my. It went well. Very very well. He drove 2 hours (each way) to have dinner with me after he got off work at 5:00.

He is of my faith....tall, very very goodlooking...very very fun. And we have great chemistry. I'm happy.

Oh, and get this....he started discussing love bank deposits and withdrawals.....I was freaking out! I said where did you hear that terminology? He said he heard it at one of our services once....I said, 'I've read the books!' Didn't tell him about this site though.....

I
I
I'm glad you had a good time and that he is so nice.

S
OP Offline
S
I'm glad you had a good time and that he is so nice.

He is wonderful. I am not sure I believe in love at first site....but it was something else when we first met.

My friends who set us up....the husband half told him about me....and described me as 'very spiritual.' I nearly cried when I was told that. That is the nicest thing I've heard in a while....

S
S
New friend sounds promising.

The idea that you don't care sounds like movement towards this:

"The opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference."

Once you no longer care what your XH does, your freedom from his drama will offer you such release you won't believe it.

The dinner with a new person gave you a glimpse into the future - what might be there for you - the future SW, with someone who DOES "get it". It might not be this particular man, but there are men out there who understand relationships are NOT one-way streets.

I had a conversation once with my youngest daughter. She was upset with me, and I with her. At the time, she was trying to convince me that a decision she wanted to make was the right one, and I was telling her that it was morally wrong, ethically wrong, and that it would compromise her relationship with me.

She said, "Mom, you are supposed to love me no matter what."

I told her that I would always love her.

She said that if she made this decision, then I would still have to love her, and that it could not "compromise" our relationship - that I had to have "unconditional love" for her.

I told her that I would always love her, but not always agree with her decisions. She argued that I "had to" accept her decisions, and that "unconditional love" meant that.

"No," I told her, "Unconditional love means I will always love you, not always agree with you, and not always accept what you do, and not always remain in contact with you when you are doing the wrong thing with your life. It might mean that I have to stay out of your life, in order to preserve that unconditional love for you. You see, DD, LOVE may be unconditional, but RELATIONSHIPS are NOT."

She chose the right thing, by the way. She heard what I had to say, because those words were the most powerful thing I had ever said to her. That her behavior did matter, that people might back away from her despite loving her.

It was huge.

She has never forgotten those words.

She used them on a former boyfriend. He cheated on her. It helped her to understand the entire situation, and to walk away from him, with dignity and strength, even when her friends were telling her to STAY.

SB

Recovered.
Happy.
S
S
If you are trying to figure out why I told that story, it was encouragement for you to stay in Plan B with your ex -

because he is toxic to you.

You may harbor some love for him.

The relationship is CONDITIONAL.

Remember that he is not meeting your conditions. Hold him to those conditions, and hold yourself to the conditions that keep you safe, sane, and HAPPIEST.

Recovered.
Happy.
Page 27 of 30 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 672 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation