Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
hamster Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Hi Friends. Apologize for being MIA for so long. I have been quite busy. I just got back from a week-long business trip and I am very tired.

I am feeling a lot less sad these days. The first month was very sad and the first few weeks without speaking to my husband were very hard. Somehow I am getting more and more used to being on my own. I don't cry anymore and I don't feel depressed. Of course, it is still sad that I basically ruined our marriage and friendship. And also --- I have accepted the fact that I have behaved like a horrible, selfish, mean person.

Sometime around the beginning of May---I had an inner conversation with myself. Yea - that sounds really hippie. I decided that I couldn't let the guilt and regret of my affairs consume me and that I had to let go of the guilt in order to heal. I accepted what I've done and the consequences. Now it's time to move forward and decide "What now?"

Well -- the "what now?" involves me doing new positive things to somehow improve my life going forward. And it doesn't have to be really big things either. I made a big list of all the things that I want to do sometime in the near to long future. Some things are big and some things are small.

Some Examples: I have been reconnecting with old girlfriends and spending more quality time with DS. Last week, I went bowling with DS and his paternal grandparents---we had a blast and plan to go each week. I started to have dinner with friends after work and have made more of an effort to stay in touch with folks. I have been eating more dinners at my mom's house and just plain hanging out there. I cleaned out my garage about 75%. I started to read a new book. I have shortened the time it takes me to run 1 mile in the past month down to 10 minutes. I started to cook more meals at home for me and DS.

I haven't fallen into the trap of dating or going out partying---that I know some WS fall into. We all know that dating is just crazy right now and the reality is that I don't have time for it. Plus, I have way too much self-improvement to do right now that I don't think I can fully devote my time to someone else. I just mentioned that in case you all were wondering what my plans were there.

So many things...and I feel happy. I hardly feel lonely anymore especially with DS around. He is my #1 buddy right now.

D
D
Originally Posted by hamster
So many things...and I feel happy. I hardly feel lonely anymore especially with DS around. He is my #1 buddy right now.

Glad things are looking up for you!

"If you will stop feeding your feelings, then they will stop controlling you" -Joyce Meyer
O
O
Hammy,
Glad you are taking a conservative and reflective path back to a new norm. Your son is lucky to have you so involved in his life and no doubt is reaping the benefits of that.

As I've said, I hope you'll continue to share your experience here. Your perspective is valued.

Personally, I am approaching the court date of June 18. Which is probably similar to the occasion you mentioned of "signing dissolusion papers." I already feel a new whirlwind of emotions coming on, but I guess that's life.

opt

Me: 43 y.o. BFWH, D-day 11/11/09 (NC since 9/01)
Divorce from WW final 9/16/10.
Current Status: MB-based Marriage to Nature Girl 12/8/12 (first date on 12/11/10)
Mine: S(16), D(11)
NatureGirls: S(23), D(21)
Another EA Story
H
hamster Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Hi Friends,

This past weekend, I took my son on a mini trip to Las Vegas. The purpose of the trip was to attend a friend's wedding. My (soon to be x) husband was to be my date, but clearly that was no longer an option and so I brought my son instead. It was just my son and I---and we had a blast! We went shopping, walked around, and saw the Viva Elvis show (was great!). The wedding was also beautiful and a lot of fun.

This trip was the first time in YEARS that I had gone on vacation with my son and it was just the two of us. One of the best things that I have ever done and I can't wait to do it again! When we got home, my son told me that he had a fun time and thanked me for taking him (wasn't that sweet!).

I also had a spiritual moment in Church. It was the point in the ceremony where you get to share with God your personal requests. I asked God to help my (soon to be x) husband find peace/forgiveness in his heart so that he could move forward in his life and find happiness. And of course, I asked the same for me/my son---but I asked God to help him first without thinking of myself. I think that moment was a step for me. Hard to explain.

F
F
Originally Posted by hamster
I asked God to help my (soon to be x) husband find peace/forgiveness in his heart so that he could move forward in his life and find happiness. And of course, I asked the same for me/my son---but I asked God to help him first without thinking of myself. I think that moment was a step for me. Hard to explain.
I am so glad you had such a terrific time in Lost Wages with your son!

And I believe I know what you experienced, above. It's also hard for me to explain, but as I sit here on the eve of getting the final decree of divorce from my wife, I find myself without anger, and have actually begun to forgive her (Matthew 18:21-22 speaks of Jesus telling Peter that one needs to forgive "not seven times, but seventy-seven times (some scholars suggest Jesus actually said "seventy times seven," which would amount to 490 times).

I still have a few times to go, but I'm getting there.

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
O
O
I wonder how hamster is doing.

opt

H
hamster Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Hi Friends

Just an update - I am doing great!

Shortly after I last posted in May, my job offered me the opportunity to work for 3 months abroad. It happened to coincide with DS's summer vacation and his already planned time away at summer camp. So I accepted the opportunity.

I have been out of the country since June --- traveling around Europe and working in our foreign offices. It has been a great experience! DS is now finished with camp and I am picking him up from the airport tomorrow. I am taking another couple weeks off to travel with DS and do more site-seeing together. I am really excited to see him!

I know it might seem weird that DS and I spent two months apart. At 14, he actually enjoyed his time at camp and being independent. I know he missed me, but at the same time he had a lot of fun (from what I hear). As for me, it was a really nice break to be alone and experiencing new things. Good for us both!

I am very happy at the moment. I hardly think of my old marriage or divorce anymore----at least not in a sad way. I still reflect on the things I learned and how I can be a better person going forward. I have to admit that I look forward to receiving the final judgement in October so that I can restore everything to my maiden name. I miss my old name.

I haven't spoken to soon to be ex-husband via phone in months. Our email exchanges are very brief and focused on divorce related topics. Best thing we ever did was to stop talking and interacting. I don't know how he is getting along for certain, but I am hoping that he has moved on as well. He mentioned that he has his own apartment now in one of his emails and I am really happy for him. I am sorry for how I ended our marriage and I wish him all the best the world can offer.

I am continuing to use my failed marriage as a learning opportunity for future relationships---I dont want to repeat the same mistakes.

G
G
That is wonderful, Hamster. I don't think it is weird to let your 14 year old son go to camp for 2 months. It's a time when kids need some room away, and if you have a good kid, it's a gift. And I think it's terrific you got to be on your own in a different place.

Have a fabulous time traveling. Not sure where you are, but I loved Stockholm. Water every where and beautiful buildings. Not to mention any 14 year old boy would love the pretty girls. LOL.

Divorced.
2 Girls
Remarried 10/11/08
Widowed 11/5/08
Remarrying 12/17/15
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 500 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation