Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
Hi all, long time since I've been here. I've come a long way since 2007 but find myself always checking out the boards for advice and guidence.

Since my D in 08, I've dated a wonderful girl for 2 years. Everything started out great but in the end, we just weren't right for each other. She had never been married, no children where I have 2 boys from my previous marriage. I know deep down she wants children but I know in my heart, I am all done with that phase of my life. I really want her to have children as well so we broke up based on that and some communication issues.
Of course I miss her and I'm concearned for her. Would it be OK to drop her a call or email to check on her or should I just go about this like, when you never talk to theat person again.

You see, I've really never broken up with someone and I'm 42. How weird is that. I value your opinions please.

Thanks,
Michael

Me 38
XWW 38
2 boys
Married 17 years /together 23
D- Day 01/07

NC broken 01/17/07
NC broken 02/07
NC broken 03/07
NC est. April 21,2007
Divorced 03/08
Living , Breathing, Loving
P
P
Would it be OK to drop her a call or email to check on her or should I just go about this like, when you never talk to theat person again.

IMO this NOT a kind thing to do.
Break up with a woman, then try and stay connected.

Leave her alone.
She will be better off without any emotional connections with you.
It's best, FOR HER.

Glad you asked.

G
G
Don't call her. Next year, send her a Christmas card wishing her the best.

Not only is cutting the strings kindest to her, it's also healthiest for you. How can you get over that relationship if you are still calling her?

Divorced.
2 Girls
Remarried 10/11/08
Widowed 11/5/08
Remarrying 12/17/15
G
G
PS: I know it stinks. But it will go away.

Divorced.
2 Girls
Remarried 10/11/08
Widowed 11/5/08
Remarrying 12/17/15
K
K
I really think it depends on the relationship, but in most cases, it's best to cut the ties in order to give both of you a chance to get over each other. Maybe you can have limited contact later on, but it takes time, much time, to heal. There is also the matter of consideration for those who are in your lives in the future.

Enacting life's lessons into positive change... .
M
OP Offline
M
Hi, thank You for you replies, I just didn't know what to do and it hurts. She is such a great, wonderful caring person but there were some major hurdles that we couldn't seem to cross.
I will take your advice and leave things as they are. I'll remember the good times but not obsesse over them. I'll stay positive and focused and smile that I knew such a beautiful soul.
Thanks for your support.

Michael

Me 38
XWW 38
2 boys
D- Day 01/07

NC broken 01/17/07
NC broken 02/07
NC broken 03/07
NC est. April 21,2007
Divorced 03/08
D
D
My girlfriend of four years broke up with me for the same reason. We She, however ralized that if she didn't face what wasn't working in her own dynamic, she would only repeat her "stuff" with someone else. I'd learn that years ago and fully supported her decision to pursue children...

...we kept in contact--when you start out as friends you can do that--and she asked me if I would go to Imago therapy with her so she could work her stuff out. I agreed, and what came out of this is that she has been freed of the prison of expecting others to "make" her happy. She accepts my position and our friendship has grown. She no longer throws guilt, I no longer catch it and we are both emotionally free to pursue trlationships without carring past issues from this one with it.

You really have to find some way to confront how you are feeling, clarify your relationship goals, and be honest about your intentions before you contact her--or anyone else for that matter. As formally betrayed spouses and divorced people, we want to always be about the work of building better, more authentic relationships. Good luck and many blessings, my friend.

Me (BS) 44
M: 6/28/91
D-day 8/07/03
PA/EA 9/27/02 to 8/8/03
W Restarts A 2/04
W's DV Final: 08/03/04
M
OP Offline
M
Thank You for your advice, Delightonc- it sounds that your story is similar to mine. You my friend give me hope that one day, we can be friends and set healthy boundries. It does burden my heart to never see her again for she truly is the sweetest woman I've ever met but yet, her happiness is the most important thing to me.
If she can find what she longs for, needs, than I am happy.
I guess now, I have to let time work it's miracle and heal the broken heart.

Thank You all for your words of encouragement.
Michael

Me 38
XWW 38
2 boys
D- Day 01/07

NC broken 01/17/07
NC broken 02/07
NC broken 03/07
NC est. April 21,2007
Divorced 03/08

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 433 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation