Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
V
Vity Offline OP
OP Offline
V
I was thinking about how we see so many people come here with the same situation. Everyone thinks their situation is unique, but we all know that's not the case. It's the same situations just with different players.

I was thinking it would be helpful to come up with links to threads that we think show good examples of how these situations got resolved. For example:

Online EA with old bf/gf/crush
Workplace PA
Neighbor PA
Relative PA
etc.

I have a friend whose wife is involved in an online EA. I gave him a pointer to this site, but I also wish I could give him a pointer to one of the threads of someone who went through that same situation and was able to turn it around. My memory is not good enough to remember which threads might be good candidates for that. If there was a list, we could easily tell people to check out a specific thread so they can see how their situation is likely to play out.

Do you think that's a good idea? Perhaps the threads can be linked here or in Scotland's newly betrayed thread

Last edited by Vity; 09/20/10 02:55 PM.
M
M
Vity, I focus on convincing them of one pertinent fact: affairs are all the same. It is amazing how alike they all are, whether it be a physical affair or an online affair with some loser from Australia.

The tactics to resolve all the aforementioned affairs is basically the same so if we get someone who believes his is "different" we have to spend valuable time convincing him otherwise.

In all of those situations you mentioned, the solution was Plan A with a focus on exposure. What may vary are the exposure targets, but that varies based on the cast of the characters, not the type of affair.

So, my focus is on convincing them they are the same, not different.

Hope that makes sense!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

H
H
Think that is a great idea. Maybe a subset thread to infidelity and group by types. I know it would have helped me initially while my head was spinning out of control with the shock of the A.

Me 55, XWH 53, M 22 years
D17, D30
alien replaces my husband "I'm not happy" -7/08
Discover OW-8/08 (his direct report and I work there also)
H moves out 10/1/08, confront Ow 10/28/08
Plan B 1/09
D final 12/09

Quote: "First thing you do is pray; when there is nothing else to do, continue to pray."
S
S
Originally Posted by Vity
I was thinking about how we see so many people come here with the same situation. Everyone thinks their situation is unique, but we all know that's not the case. It's the same situations just with different players.

I was thinking it would be helpful to come up with links to threads that we think show good examples of how these situations got resolved. For example:

Online EA with old bf/gf/crush
Workplace PA
Neighbor PA
Relative PA
etc.
I think that quick links to successful outcomes is a good idea, although I agree with MelodyLane that the course of action is the same, regardless of the details. Success is achieved only with NC and serious work on recovery. NC for an online EA means no recreational internet use. For a workplace PA it means a change of job. For a neighbour PA it means a house move, and for a relative PA it means no more gatherings where the relative is present.

Genuine NC enables the start of recovery.

There was a thread, started by ACE, I believe, which contained success stories. Perhaps we only need to bump this one?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
V
Vity Offline OP
OP Offline
V
I think the success threads would help when people come here in a state of shock. They've never been through this before, so of course they feel their situation is unique and helpless. Although the course of treatment is typically the same, I think having example threads of each situation would be more helpful. The person will be able to read a thread which closely matches their situation. They'll realize that their situation is only different in some small, insignificant way and they can see how the solution will hopefully work out.

N
N
I think this is a swell idea......

Feel free you use my story (the link is in my soggy...... grin). Mine would fit under "Long Distance PA/EA" category. It has work place overtones, though they didn't work for the same company, so long distance would be better suited.......

Not2fun

H
H
I think this is a great idea. I was talking to FWH about posting here. HE said he has read a lot on here but hasn't seen anything that resembles what he did.

A year after his A he still swears that he didn't do it on purpose, didn't want her physically, and would never have left me for her. They talked on the phone alot, texted, shared some inappropriate pictures, and even tried phone sex once. He says that all he was attracted to was someone to talk to. He didn't realize he was having an affair until I asked him to go NC with her and she wrote him a letter asking him to leave me for her.

So where would you put this type of affair.

BS - 45 - Me
FWH - 42
DS 19 mine from previous marriage
DD 17 Mine from previous marriage

A - Aug - Nov 09
DD1 - Nov 20 09
DD2 - APR 30 10
NC - APR 10

In Recovery
M
M
Originally Posted by Wounded2009

I would call this the typical, garden variety affair. This is where we run into trouble, when we try to find ways that each affair is "different." That is dangerous ground. When we start believing our situations are "unique" [aren't we all??] then the logical conclusion of that thinking is therefore, the solution is different. And it ain't.

They are all the same. It is all infidelity and no matter if it was phone sex, baloney sandwich sex or animal sex, the solution is the same. So it does absolutely no good to seek unique classifications when the remedy is the same. The circle always closes in the same place.

When betrayed spouses and wayward spouses alike start reading the threads around here they are always amazed at how ALIKE their affairs are. They are all the same. The clothes might be different, the names might be different, but they are more alike than they differ.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Let me put it another way. Every affair has the same remedy. If the affair is still on, Plan A and Plan B are warranted. If the affair is over, then the remedy is EPs, NC letter and a plan of recovery.

So it doesn't matter how we define an affair, a PA, EA or whatever, the remedy is the SAME. Since the remedy is the same, I think it would be helpful to link to articles about Plan A/B and/or recovery.

Exposure 101

H
H
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

I would call this the typical, garden variety affair. This is where we run into trouble, when we try to find ways that each affair is "different." That is dangerous ground. When we start believing our situations are "unique" [aren't we all??] then the logical conclusion of that thinking is therefore, the solution is different. And it ain't.

They are all the same. It is all infidelity and no matter if it was phone sex, baloney sandwich sex or animal sex, the solution is the same. So it does absolutely no good to seek unique classifications when the remedy is the same. The circle always closes in the same place.

When betrayed spouses and wayward spouses alike start reading the threads around here they are always amazed at how ALIKE their affairs are. They are all the same. The clothes might be different, the names might be different, but they are more alike than they differ.

I do agree with you that all affairs are the same. How do you get the Wayward spouse to realize the same thing?

BS - 45 - Me
FWH - 42

A - Aug - Nov 09
DD1 - Nov 20 09
DD2 - APR 30 10
NC - APR 10

In Recovery
M
M
[
I do agree with you that all affairs are the same. How do you get the Wayward spouse to realize the same thing?

Wounded, you don't have to get them to agree all affairs are the same to recover, you just have to get them to agree to take the necessary steps to recover. If they end the affair and the fog wears off they usually realize they weren't unique anyway. But again, one doesn't have to believe all are affairs are the same to get on board with recovery.

Exposure 101

M
M
The organizing side of my brain likes the idea of categorizing A's by type. But...I dunno...wouldn't it kind of be like herding cats? smile

I could see it starting out all nice and organized, and then spreading out to what it is now as people personalize their sitch with more posts and responders post back from their own viewpoints. And I don't think that's a bad thing, really.

Everyone's got their flavor of affair, but at the end of the day it's...an affair. And the tools are basically the same for them.

Last edited by maritalbliss; 09/21/10 06:00 AM.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

S
S
I think this is a great idea. I was talking to FWH about posting here. HE said he has read a lot on here but hasn't seen anything that resembles what he did.
Wounded, he is playing games with you. He KNOWS what he did was an A. He KNOWS that it was damaging to the M. If he thinks his story is different than the others he has read here, all the more reason for him to post...would be my argument.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
H
H
Originally Posted by SusieQ
Wounded, he is playing games with you. He KNOWS what he did was an A. He KNOWS that it was damaging to the M. If he thinks his story is different than the others he has read here, all the more reason for him to post...would be my argument.

That is exactly what I told him.

BS - 45 - Me
FWH - 42

A - Aug - Nov 09
DD1 - Nov 20 09
DD2 - APR 30 10
NC - APR 10

In Recovery

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 672 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation