Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
atena Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi all,
does anybody know about what the law dictates in Florida in relation to separation and D?
Does one have to file for legal separation or is it sufficient to live apart for a while and that counts as separation?
What about D? How long does it take?
If any of you have any info I would be most grateful. I live in Europe and both WH and me are now residents in Europe.
Blessing

atena
A
atena Offline OP
OP Offline
A
bump

atena
S
S
Hey, atena!

I just went through the process in Florida, but am by no means an expert.

As you probably know, Florida is a no-fault state and adultery doesn't play much of a role in the settlement. It may sway the judge a little in deciding alimony, but other things like custody and division of marital assets has no bearing. One thing, if you can show that your WH spent a lot of the marital assets financing the affair, then you can recoup them in the division of assets.

There is no "legal separation" in Florida. If you are separated and need a legal agreement on child support or custody while leading up to trial, then you go before a judge and ask for temporary orders. Be careful here, these temporary orders set a precedent that heavily influences the final settlement.

So basically the process is like this, one of the spouses files a petition for dissolution of marriage, then the other has like 30 days to respond with a counter-petition. From there, each of you files a financial affidavit that discloses all income, assets, and debts. If temporary orders are needed, then this would be the time you go before a judge.

Next, the state requires at least one mediation session before it will grant a court date. My WW and I came to an agreement at the first mediation, but that's pretty much what we both wanted, anyway.

If mediation doesn't work, then you set a court date and do it the hard way.

It probably varies as to which county you file in, but the process is very quick in Florida. There is no mandatory separation or waiting period.

For me, we filed around the first of June, had our mediation on the first of August, and filed the final settlement before a judge a couple weeks later. So, only two and a half months from start to finish. The settlement agreement was typed up and signed by all parties at mediation, so it was enforceable from that day forward.

Of course, if you go to trial and things are heavily contested, it will drag out much longer.

Last edited by schtoop; 11/02/10 08:56 AM.
A
atena Offline OP
OP Offline
A
thank you schtoop.

I guess I have the right to alimony and all but I am not sure how to proceed. I will have to have the alimony taken from his paycheck from here (Europe) and I am not sure if a US judge has juristiction on that since we live abroad...our son is in college, but still, he needs to provide for him...
blessing

atena
B
B
I'm confused...how can you file in FL when you live in Europe? If your son is not a minor, WH is not obligated to provide for him unless he agrees to pay some sort of support.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
A
atena Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I married in FL and both me and WH are US citizens residing abroad
OK, so he is not obligated for my son who is 20.
What about me? I do work so I might be entitled to nothing as well...!?
blessing

atena
B
B
As far as I know, it does not matter where you were married and you have to be a resident of state for a given period of time in order to file in said state. You are not a resident of FL. Other than military personnel having certain residency rights (not sure if divorce is one of them), you have to live in the US. I could be wrong, but I have never heard of a divorce process like this. Alimony and the division of assets will depend on what the laws are in the state that you divorce in...they vary greatly.

I think you should speak to a D attorney in the country/county that you currently reside in. If you have no plans to return to the US, I don't see how you can file and even if you could, how a US D decree would carry any weight/authority if WH lives abroad and has no assets in the US. Speak to an attorney.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
S
S
Sorry, black_raven is correct. Somehow I read over the part where you are residents of Europe now.

The requirement for filing for divorce in Florida is that one of the partners had to be a resident of the state for the last six months. Doesn't matter where you were married.

A
atena Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I am calling an attorney tonight and will explain to him my situation/
I did in fact hear that residency in the state of FL is necessary and I think it is 6 months.
Our M is also registered in this country as i am a dual national of the US and of this country.
Laws here are strict in terms of D: 3 years of legal separation and then the D. In total it could take up to 4 years for the D to be final. I will know more tonight when I talk to the attorney.
thank you for all your help!
blessing

atena
P
P
You have to be a resident of Florida for 6 months or if you are military and your residency is Florida to get a divorce in FLorida. If you want a quick divorce and can agree to the seperation of assets then you can get a simple dissolution of marriage in a month but no alimony. Actually it can take only 21 days from the day you file at the earliest.

BW-me 47yrs
WH-him 50yrs
married 24yrs, together 25 yrs,DD 25yrs, DD 22yrs(granddaughter born 3/14/2012).
D-Day#1 discovered cell phone calls 6/30/2009
D-Day#2 7/26/2009
Plan D 06/2012/WH served 8/17/12
WH left 7/25/2009/WH moved in with OW 7/29/2009
Trying to reconcile 12/30/2009/left 10/22/2010
2nd OW 8/2011? and living in Idaho.
"Dochas" Gaelic for hope which I have with me at all times because it is tattooed on my lower back.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation