Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
M
M
Originally Posted by SunnyDinTX
I think a big part of me is waiting for H to initiate more of the recovery because I want to see his level of interest be where it should be as well as his level of effort. Some people tell me he should be begging, pleading, etc... before I consider fully letting him back in. It's hard to discern between that and needing to do "the work" before he gets to that point. Does that make sense???

Sunny, that is an unrealistic expectation from a detached person. He will be more proactive when he is in love. He is not in love and won't be until he moves home and recovers the marriage.

What you need for this step of recovery is his COMMITTMENT to go through the motions of recovery. That means EP's, undivided attention of 20+ hours per week, and a committment to go through the lessons I gave you.

But he needs to come home to make this work. The longer he is out, the higher the risk of divorce. MrW is exactly right about that. So go see him, get his committment and get him home.

if he is reluctant to come home, I would surmise the affair is still on.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
Mel...you're back! :-)

Thanks for your input. I guess that is an unrealistic expectation. I will admit it is hard for me to move forward without it, maybe because I have detached so much myself. I'm not sure.

I'll be frank: a big part of me right now likes this life of not worrying about H or what he's feeling or what he wants: of not looking over the other side of the bed and being sad because of what he's done. I do love him, but I like being detached from the pain... as long as he is not in the home, I can stay numb, I guess.

I know that's not right...but I'm just trying to be honest.

"The #1 reason why people give up so quickly is because they tend to look at how far they still have to go, rather than how far they've gotten."

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)
Surviving and Thriving since November 2010 thanks to MB!
My Recovery Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2538986#Post2538986
My Original Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2457141&page=1

M
M
I'll be frank: a big part of me right now likes this life of not worrying about H or what he's feeling or what he wants: of not looking over the other side of the bed and being sad because of what he's done. I do love him, but I like being detached from the pain... as long as he is not in the home, I can stay numb, I guess.

Good to see you, friend! smile The longer you put this off, the harder it will be to face it. I am getting very concerned that your recovery has been delayed, Sunny. Avoidance is not an effective tactic if you want to save your marriage. There is something much better than being NUMB in store for you and the sooner you start working on it, the sooner you can have it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Let me put this another way. You were already detached in your marriage before the affair. More detachment is not the solution but more of the same condition that LED TO the affair. He is more vulnerable to an affair today than he was before the affair. This is what needs to change. Separation is BAD for your marriage.

The solution is to create attachment and intimacy and you can't do that if you are separated. You are both developing BAD HABITS that become more entrenched every day that passes.

Get him home, Sunny. I would close this deal today and get moving on the recovery of your marriage before you lose that chance.

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
I'm sure you are right. UGH! lol

But I LIKE avoidance!!! The problem is - so does H.

OK: I will address this today if at all possible - tomorrow at the latest. I promise!

THANKS for the kick.
:-)

"The #1 reason why people give up so quickly is because they tend to look at how far they still have to go, rather than how far they've gotten."

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)
My Recovery Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2538986#Post2538986
My Original Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2457141&page=1

M
M
Close the deal, girl!! hurray

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
LOVE that smiley!!!

Working on my plan of action now.... will let you know how it goes. (Thanks for all the material too - it's awesome!)

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)

M
M
Good girl! smile

Exposure 101

M
M
yeah... hurray

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
M
M
Melody...

For her emotional safety...could she ask him to sleep in a spare bedroom for a bit here as she pursues getting a commitment to trying AND sees some ACTION pursuant to such commitment.

With him IN THE HOUSE but not in her bed she may get the chance to confirm no contact outside of just his word.

Then...moving back into the bedroom becomes something WH earns as a reward for actually DOING/STARTING the plan.

A carrot.

Just a thought.

Mr. Wondering

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
S
OP Offline
S
That IS an interesting though, Mr. W.

I talked with H at length. He was very interested in the plan and willing. I addressed like you had advised, Mr W - that it should be something we work on together to achieve the mutual goal of an exceptional relationship. :-)

SOOOO....he is coming over tonight. We're going to watch a football game and I'm going to give him the MB workbook that I have. We're going to start the program right away with the goal of moving him back into the home. He says he wants to move back home. We agreed that it is the best way to work on the marriage. We didn't set a specific time table but we will discuss that later. He mentioned his agreement at the ext stay hotel is up in a week.

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)

M
M
Originally Posted by MrWondering
For her emotional safety...could she ask him to sleep in a spare bedroom for a bit here as she pursues getting a commitment to trying AND sees some ACTION pursuant to such commitment.

I get where you are going but I think the faster they are together, the faster they are together. It is going to be awkward, but the faster they jump in, the sooner the awkward stage will be over. With women, SF and cuddling in bed makes us feel closer, so I was hoping that sleeping together would make them feel more bonded.

Exposure 101

H
H
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by MrWondering

I get where you are going but I think the faster they are together, the faster they are together. It is going to be awkward, but the faster they jump in, the sooner the awkward stage will be over. With women, SF and cuddling in bed makes us feel closer, so I was hoping that sleeping together would make them feel more bonded.

Agree on that front.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
S
OP Offline
S
My main concern with H moving back home without a "guarantee" or firm commitment is the kids, not me. I feel I am strong enough to handle anything at this point, but it would be terrible for the kids for H to move back home and then if things didn't go as he wanted (or he got back involved with the OW) for him to move back out again. That would just be devastating for the boys, especially. (Daughter is away at college.)

Having said that, we spent most of the weekend together and H did stay last night at the house. It was a really, really nice weekend. I gave him the workbook (Romantic Love) and he's going to start with that. He seems eager to do the work that needs doing in this.

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)

M
M
My main concern with H moving back home without a "guarantee" or firm commitment is the kids, not me. I feel I am strong enough to handle anything at this point, but it would be terrible for the kids for H to move back home and then if things didn't go as he wanted (or he got back involved with the OW) for him to move back out again. That would just be devastating for the boys, especially. (Daughter is away at college.)

Has he not given you a committment to end his affair and work on a plan of recovery for the marriage?

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
Sorry - I didn't word that very well, above. Yes! He HAS definitely ended the affair and committed to working on the marriage. (Otherwise I would be in Plan B, or should be, right?!)

What I meant by commitment/guarantee is more of a theoretical thing. I see marriage as a convenant. H sees marriage as more of a contract. Because of my religious upbringing, I tend to be more of the "committed for life" viewpoint. I was always taught that unless that person is abusive, cheats on you, or abandons you - you work out your issues. H was taught nothing other than if you're unhappy - leave or look for someone else to make you unhappy. Not that those words were actually spoken, but taught by example from both his mother and father.

Of course, with his infidelity, I was given the "get out of jail free" card if I wanted out. Obviously I do not - I prefer to work through it and make our marriage affair proof for the future. I know H is committed to that but I no longer see him as being "committed" as I am committed. I now see the marriage as being conditional - that there are no guarantees anymore that it's for life. However, there probably aren't anyway and it's not such a bad way to look at things. With this changed perspective I KNOW we have to make our relationship a priority forever, not just now while we're reconciling.

But... that's a scary thought to me. The difference in perspective brings a bit of fear. I'm sure that is my trust issues talking. I am also sure that is why you have the Extraordinary Measures in place. Part of me can't quite let go of the "don't want to be fooled again" attitude though.

Last edited by SunnyDinTX; 11/15/10 12:07 AM.

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)

S
OP Offline
S
Morning update: H and I talked again this morning. He was worried about it being awkward for everyone, his coming home. Says the weekend was nice though and thanked me for making it not awkward. SO...we are both looking forward to (as are the kids) his coming home this week.

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)

M
M
Morning update: H and I talked again this morning. He was worried about it being awkward for everyone, his coming home. Says the weekend was nice though and thanked me for making it not awkward. SO...we are both looking forward to (as are the kids) his coming home this week.

YEAH.

That should really enable you to BOTH get working on learning and implementing the MB program (your best shot).

Mr. W

S
OP Offline
S
You're right, Mr. W. I can't tell you how much my love bank began to be filled up by his being around this weekend so much! I'm actually going from just being optimistic to being excited about our future together. Having started out being totally unsure if I wanted to even reconcile after finding out about the A, that's a huge jump.

The MB plan WORKS to restore feelings. I can say that with certainty even though we are just in the beginning stages.

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)

M
M
Do you have "his needs her needs"?

My wife and I listened to it TOGETHER on a cd on a road trip to Northern Michigan.

Road trips are great places to talk as your audience is captive.

We liked the CD because we could listen to it TOGETHER instead of reading it separately. If you already have the book (and not the CD) then read it to each other under the premise that BOTH of you are invested in building a marriage of romantic love and extra-ordinary care. Just "recovering" isn't enough for you and hopefully isn't enough for him (ask him what HE wants as you involve him in the process of doing this TOGETHER).

That link I gave you too...How to recover a marriage after infidelity should be reviewed first whenever you discuss recovery as it has the lists of extra-ordinary precautions and reemphasizes that without "NO CONTACT" nothing can be achieved whatsoever. It's still early for your husband and either he or OW may yet still reach out to one another for one last "closure contact" or whatever. He must resist the urge to contact her and the urge to take/receive/accept her possible attempt at contact. Like I said awhile back...EMPHASIZE NO CONTACT EVERYDAY as you NUMBER ONE boundary.

Mr. Wondering

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 462 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation