Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2467788 01/24/11 02:49 PM
D
Dee Offline OP
OP Offline
D
My husband has been having an email "relationship" with a woman who helps out on a youth football league he runs.
It started out as "flirting" in April when I first saw one of their emails. He uses his work computer so I can't snoop too often. In August I saw an email that she was falling in love with him. Which he replied that who cares what she says, and he avoids that discussion with her. He says I should see that I'm the one he loves and wants to be with by his actions. But in Nov I found an email that he said he loved her. Again he tells me they were just words on a page and I should see what is in front of me ...which really is a loving husband that I know wants to be with me.
But, I still can't get over these emails and don't have any reason to beleive they have stopped. I know he doesn't see her in person very much (the football field last fall) because we are always together. Maybe they have gone to lunch.
Is this cheating? I think about it all the time and don't know what to do.

Dee #2467789 01/24/11 02:56 PM
A
A
Is this cheating?

Yes, it is.

Again he tells me they were just words on a page and I should see what is in front of me ...which really is a loving husband that I know wants to be with me.

What you should see in front of you is a cheating husband who is gaslighting you.

Edited to add: You need to snoop more, this is probably not restricted to emails. Read everything you can on this site, and expose the affair.

Last edited by americajin; 01/24/11 02:59 PM.

The one constant through all the years has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and it could be again.
Dee #2467791 01/24/11 02:58 PM
L
L
Hi Dee and welcome to MB. Sorry you are here.

If your H sent an email to another woman stating his love for her trust your gut. This is very inappropriate and you have every right to be suspicious.

It's time to do some heavy snooping. Do you have access to home email and phone accounts. Check for frequent calls and texting to unfamiliar numbers if your don't know the OWs. Gather all you can.

I would say yes, this is at least an emotional affair (EA) but an affair is an affair is an affair. Your H is going outside of your marriage to have someone else meet some of his emotional needs.

There will be vets here that will respond to your thread. Take what they say to heart, learn it and execute it.

Don't pray for God to guide your footsteps unless you are willing to move your feet

Me BH 55, WW 40, M 12 yrs, 3 Boys 19, 10 & 8.
Separated Sept 08
DDay Dec 08
Plan A Mar 09
Plan B 16 Nov 09
D
D
Originally Posted by Lookin4Serenity
I would say yes, this is at least an emotional affair (EA) but an affair is an affair is an affair. Your H is going outside of your marriage to have someone else meet some of his emotional needs.

Dee, take a moment here and let this sink in. Heed the advice you are and will be receiving. Your husband will likely deny that anything is happening and he may not even realize the potentially devastating path he is currently on. I had the same thing happen to me. My wife was emailing and texting a friend that we would see in person maybe twice a month. They were texting 10-15 times a day. They grew very, very close. I got the "he's just a good friend" routine when I said something to her about it. Long story short, I did nothing to stop the EA from growing and it became a PA soon afterwards. Had I put a stop to the inappropriate contact the affair would have died right there and we wouldn't be rebuilding a broken marriage now.

Me: 45
FWW: 44
Children: 17 (son)
Married for 26 years
WW A's 2008-2009
D-day: 1/7/10
Trickle truths from 1/7/10 - 9/1/10
12/15/10 - Finally felt like we were in recovery
S
S
This is definitely an affair and if they are exchanging ILYs, I wouldn't be surprised if it has gone physical. Do you have access to his cell records?

I would put a VAR/GPS in the car.

Sorry you are here.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
Dee #2467843 01/24/11 05:44 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Dee
My husband has been having an email "relationship" with a woman who helps out on a youth football league he runs.
It started out as "flirting" in April when I first saw one of their emails. He uses his work computer so I can't snoop too often. In August I saw an email that she was falling in love with him. Which he replied that who cares what she says, and he avoids that discussion with her. He says I should see that I'm the one he loves and wants to be with by his actions. But in Nov I found an email that he said he loved her. Again he tells me they were just words on a page and I should see what is in front of me ...which really is a loving husband that I know wants to be with me.
But, I still can't get over these emails and don't have any reason to beleive they have stopped. I know he doesn't see her in person very much (the football field last fall) because we are always together. Maybe they have gone to lunch.
Oh, ick, Dee. Yes, your WH is having an EA and possibly a PA. He is gaslighting you. Think about it - does he run around, saying "I love you" to all his friends? No.
You need to do some investigating to get to the bottom of this. I would suggest you start by hiding a VAR (voice activated recorder) in his car. Waywards need a fair amount of contact, and he may be talking to her while he's alone in the car.

Do you have a home computer? I would slap a keylogger on it. $100 and a 10-minute installation, tops.

Consider hiring a PI to follow him. That'll get the info quickly.

Get a GPS and put it on his car. It will email you with reports of where he is.

Don't tell him you're doing any of this! While you're snooping, act normal, and I know that will be hard. But if you tip him off that you're suspicious it will drive him underground and make it harder to catch them.

Bring everything you find here, and we'll to you what you should do next.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

S
S
BTW, do NOT ask your H again about his A. History shows us again and again that waywards lie and do not admit it. It will just drive him further underground. Snoop, snoop, snoop...

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Dee #2467880 01/24/11 08:07 PM
G
G
Originally Posted by Dee
...But in Nov I found an email that he said he loved her. Again he tells me they were just words on a page and I should see what is in front of me ...which really is a loving husband that I know wants to be with me.
Dee, it absolutely is an emotional affair, at the very least. You need to indeed believe what you have seen, and stop believing only what you want to believe. You have their own words professing love for one another. He has concealed this from you, and he has lied about the nature of his feelings for her.

I know about emotional affairs. See, I got myself into one, with a woman whom I sang with on a church music team. No one who knew me would've believed it. I let it become physical, and in the whole process, God knows how close I came to trashing my marriage to the best woman on the planet.

The good news is, you can save your marriage and make it better than it ever has been. But first you need to kill this affair. You need to expose it, and you need to insist that he and she have no further contact, ever. There is no such thing as the two of them going back to being mere acquaintances or friends or coaching colleagues or whatever. They've crossed too many lines already. (I know what I'm talking about, Dee, because I crossed those very lines myself. It started out as "harmless" e-mails and innocent conversations -- that were unknown to my wife, and became steadily less & less "harmless.")

There's a particular path you need to follow in order to kill the affair. Half measures won't succeed. Failing to expose, and failing to insist upon an end to all contact between them, WILL cost you your marriage -- or, if your marriage "survives", it will be in a crippled, vegetative state that will not leave you happy.

It is a common -- and extremely dangerous -- mistake to regard an emotional affair as being less serious than a physical affair. One simply leads to the other, if left unchecked. You have to treat them exactly the same (other than that you'll need to get an STD test if it turns out to have been a physical affair.)

Your husband's case isn't unique. It is actually a pretty textbook, commonplace example of an extramarital affair. Physical affairs don't start by one person seeing a stranger across a room and saying "Hi, you look hot, I'm Rick, let's get a room." Rather, they start with emotional investment in a relationship -- and that's exactly what your husband has got going on here with this woman.

No one wants to be where you are, but you ARE in a war for your marriage right now. It is not a war against your husband, but it is a war against his affair, and it is a war you cannot fight by half-measures or by wanting to believe it isn't so.

Please do as SusieQ and maritalbliss have advised, and you may have a chance to win.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
D
Dee Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thank you all so much for responding. It is hard to hear this is an affair, but really I already knew it. I guess I was just hoping I could be wrong. My WH (that's hard to write!) wants me to beleive that I have created this huge love affair in my mind and it is not at all what I think. Yet he has NEVER told me he has stopped talking to and ended the "friendship" for me and our marriage. He says even if he did that, I would not beleive it and continue to question him about what I've created in my mind.

I hear your suggestions and should probably try them to save my marriage. I have a son (14)and I should probably try for him. But all I can think about is just leaving and letting him have her and she can have him. Kind of the "you'll see what you've lost" attitude.

I'm going to see the counselor that we went to a few times last year today. I know he won't tell me what to do, but as you guys have helped me here today realize I'm not the crazy one, I'm hoping he will help me figure out the right path.

Gloveoil,
Thanks for sharing your story with me. I'm glad you are saving your marriage and you have a wonderful forgiving wife. I hope my husband realizes like you did and changes, but I'm not so sure he will.

Dee #2468049 01/25/11 10:17 AM
L
L
Dee, ask your counselor if he is familiar with the MB concepts. Most MCs have no idea how to work with infidelity and how to improve your marriage after.

Don't pray for God to guide your footsteps unless you are willing to move your feet

Me BH 55, WW 40, M 12 yrs, 3 Boys 19, 10 & 8.
Separated Sept 08
DDay Dec 08
Plan A Mar 09
Plan B 16 Nov 09
Dee #2468088 01/25/11 11:33 AM
S
S
Originally Posted by Dee
I hear your suggestions and should probably try them to save my marriage.I have a son (14)and I should probably try for him. But all I can think about is just leaving and letting him have her and she can have him. Kind of the "you'll see what you've lost" attitude.
Originally Posted by Dee
I'm going to see the counselor that we went to a few times last year today. I know he won't tell me what to do, but as you guys have helped me here today realize I'm not the crazy one, I'm hoping he will help me figure out the right path.

I would encourage you to follow the advice here and decide about the M later, after you have ended the A. That way all of your options are open and you are dealing with your H, not a foggy gaslighting wayward.

You also don't want your child to have a wayward for a father regardless of whether or not you think you will stay in the M.

Lastly, what about OW, is she M? Again regardless OWH needs to be told and I think you have enough information to contact him.

Last edited by SusieQ; 01/25/11 11:35 AM.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
D
Dee Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks Lookin4Serenity, I actually printed off all the replies to show the counselor.

Regarding, ending the EA, I'm not sure it will work with my WH. He has already said even if he wrote her and told her it was over etc. and showed me that I would still not beleive it and still question and as he puts it "make up things in my mind of what is going on between them".

I'm sure that is just a good reason for him not to do it. But it is also true, I think I'd still wonder and drive myself nuts with it as I have this past year. I even told him I can't survive another year worrying about it like last year. He seems to just want me to accept that it is nothing..Just Friends.

He doesn't try to explain their relationship or why he said he loved her. I told him I didn't want my husband telling another woman he loved her. His reply was "I undersand that" and that was it.

I really don't know what to believe. I think he really want our marriage but also likes this "thing" he has with her. I think it is about control with him. I think he likes the thrill so to speak of keeping her hanging on wanting him.

She has a fiance.....I doubt they will ever marry.

Thanks again for everyone's help and concern.

Dee #2468121 01/25/11 01:05 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by Dee
I even told him I can't survive another year worrying about it like last year. He seems to just want me to accept that it is nothing..Just Friends.

He doesn't try to explain their relationship or why he said he loved her. I told him I didn't want my husband telling another woman he loved her. His reply was "I undersand that" and that was it.

I really don't know what to believe. I think he really want our marriage but also likes this "thing" he has with her. I think it is about control with him. I think he likes the thrill so to speak of keeping her hanging on wanting him.

Trying to base your decisions and plans on what your fogged out WH tells you is craziness, Dee.

He is in cake-eating mode. He is just going to lie and gaslight you. Don't bother trying to get him to end the A on his own and don't bother trying to get him to reassure you that he is committed to the M. He is foggy and is only going to say and do whatever he needs to to keep both of you in the picture.

Without proof, he is just going to deny, deny, deny. Without proof, it will be tough for you to expose this and end the A.

Will you let us help you follow a real plan? Or are you going to let your waffling WS dictate your next move?

Last edited by SusieQ; 01/25/11 01:06 PM.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Dee #2468124 01/25/11 01:08 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by Dee
She has a fiance.....I doubt they will ever marry.

Whether they are going to marry or not makes no difference. THe fiance has a right to know and he will most likely be able to help bust up this A.

Do you have his full name? Can you find him on FB?

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
H
H
Odds are very high this is physical.

You need to gather a bit more evidence. Start by putting a keylogger on the computer, unless you can guess his passwords so you can read the emails in full. But a keylogger will reveal secret email accounts.

Put a VAR in his car and you'll catch any phone conversations with her.

Find out who the OW's fiance is and get ready to expose to him.

I also hate to tell you this, but the odds are very high that this is a physical affair and they have done things. You don't say "I love you" to just a friend and you don't throw such things around unless something has happened.

Snoop. Gather more evidence.

The number one killer of affairs is exposure. So you need to prepare to bring things out to the open. No hesitation on this. You'll question us because BS's almost always do.

Exposure is the number one thing that kills affair. Being nice will get you nowhere.

L
L
Dee --

You sure don't set a very high bar, do you?

He says "you won't believe me..wah wah wah"
And you say "yeah, you're right..."

Why not "I've had it buddy. You don't get to have both a wife and a girlfriend. End contact with her and PROVE IT!! Or I am out of here. Put EXTRAORDINARY effort into making me believe you and trust you again -- because you VALUE me and your family. Or lose me forever..."

Why are you so easy?

H
H
Dee,

One big problem is that he isn't seeing the seriousness of this.

Make him see it!

G
G
Dee, see my tag line below. Didja notice what my wife told me on the day I confessed my affair (right after she told me I could still sleep in her bed)?

That was something I could respect.

Now, the situations aren't completely analogous (because your husband hasn't even aknowledged he's in an improper relationship, and has expressed no clear intenton of ending it), but you still need to show him some steel that, either now or someday, he can respect.

Letting him call your bluff, by allowing him to talk you out of insisting upon a no-contact statement, has merely got him thinking that you can be played, and that he can continue to "have his cake & eat it too" (by keeping her attention while retaining the conveniences of his marriage).

Affairs are like vampires: When you are trying to kill one, you don't take a teeny little stake and a teeny little hammer and gingerly go "tap, tap, tap", do you? Hell no! instead, you get the biggest stake you can find and the heaviest hammer you can swing, and you pound on that sucker as hard & fast as you can until the SOB is DEAD! It's got to be the same with an affair -- because if you try to kill it with half-measures, if you leave it undead, it will suck the blood out of & kill your marriage.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 500 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation