Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
I can't wax poetic and bring masses to emotional tears like Glove Oil's 2nd anniversary poetry :), but I wanted to mention a few things in my own way, if I might smile

Today is the second anniversary of the day my world burned into ashes at my feet. I really thought that was it, that day. I thought our M was over.

Well, it didn't end, and I found MB, and we're chugging along quite nicely, now. Yes, it was horrible, and the memory still is. But my FWH has more than earned his 'F.' And we both have learned a world of knowledge here on MB. I've stuck around to hopefully help others who are going through this terrible terrible act of devastation that is adultery. My way of trying to pay it forward, I guess.

Having said that, I want to post a couple of random thoughts as a Former (I like the sound of that smile ) Betrayed Spouse. They aren't original, you've probably read them here before. But they're also MY thoughts, MY reality, MY experience. Maybe you're lurking and you'll read this and it will resonate with you. Maybe you've been posting and need to see it again. Either way, my random thoughts for betrayed spouses:

Time goes very slowly when D-Day arrives. Healing begins very slowly. You may wonder if you are up for the challenge. You may consider that you are having a nervous breakdown. If that is the case, get medical attention right away. They say God never gives us more than we can handle. Read that sentence again: God never gives us more than we can handle. You'll notice that the word "alone" isn't at the end of that sentence. God (The Great Physician) gives us ways to get help when things become overwhelming. Seek help if you need it because God put it there for you.

You might quit eating and get skinnier than you should. Shove the food in there anyway. You need the nourishment.If you throw it up, wait a little bit and put some more in there, even if you don't feel hungry. I went 3 days without eating more than once, so don't count on your brain letting you know that it's time to eat. The trauma you're going through will kill your appetite.

Post here. The people on this forum are not professionals, but they are your peers and as such are uniquely qualified to know exactly what you're going through. This site is another tool God gave you. You didn't stumble over it by accident.

Read the articles here as well. And don't be afraid to consider counseling with the Harleys. I've spoken with them, and they're wonderful, down-to-earth people. I wish every couple who plans to marry could counsel with them before the Big Day. I think it would save a lot of heartache.

Get some sleep. You may need medical help for this as well. You need the rest so your brain can function. No rest makes it difficult to chart your path and properly advocate for yourself.

Allow yourself to be okay for trusting your partner 100% and then having that trust dashed. Then NEVER TRUST THEM COMPLETELY AGAIN. What were we thinking, trusting someone else 100%???

In the beginning I snooped about 24/7, using just about any spying tool I could think of. H knew it, and knew I needed that for my own sense of safety. I don't snoop as much now as I did then, but rest assured that any detective agency would love to have me on their staff. I'll spy on my H as often as I wish. That is my promise to myself. H knows that, as well, and welcomes the scrutiny now. He no longer has anything to hide. (And trust me, if he ever does again, I'll be the first to know this time. wink ) Don't feel guilty if you're snooping on your spouse!

I have phone records, notes, emails, timelines, etc. from the days of the affair. In the beginning I carried the phone records around with me most of my waking hours, creating timelines. Don't feel crazy if you are doing this. And don't let a foggy spouse pooh-pooh your need to do this, even after they've come clean with every minute detail of the affair. The day will come when you are satisfied that you have all of your answers, and you won't need to do that anymore. That's when you'll quit.

I never met the OW. In the beginning I intended to track her down and beat the living [censored] out of her. I fantasized about pulling her hair out and then taking it to my H to see if he still wanted to stroke it. I never acted upon that, and I'm glad I didn't. Nothing positive would have come from it.

I physically struck my H and left bruises. More than once. You must not succumb to the temptation to do this! I substituted a pillow for my H and pounded the pulp out of it until my rage subsided. Do that instead. I am sick to this day that I allowed my rage to cause me to physically harm another human, regardless of what they did to me.

Understand that it DOES get better. Like I said in the beginning, Time is your enemy. It can't move fast enough. I would have sold my soul to the devil if it would have meant I could fast-forward through the devastation I was going through. Time will become your friend. I promise you that. smile

Okay, that's more than "a few things" sorry! grin But I hope even one thing I've posted helps someone out there who is newly devastated and trying to pick their way through the rubble.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

H
H
Great post, MB. It's reassuring to read that you, too, kept a timeline of the affair. I believe I know more about the affair than my WS does. It's also come in handy since he's now suing me for divorce. frown

I think you should cross-post this to the Infidelity board. A lot of what you've written will help those of us on that board immensely.

"Your future isn't sealed. Nothing bad is going to happen. You just put everything in God's hands and in the meanwhile, do all you can do as a woman to protect yourself and your finances and family. That's what your job is to do now and let God deal with the wayward. Trust me...you do not have to lift a finger. HE will deal with the wayward."
Quotable words from peachyisback
“Sometimes you don’t get where you want to go, but you get much further than you were before.” Tiffany on Top Chef
S
S
Thank you.

It's very soothing to know that some of things we do, as betrayed spouses, are normal. It's reassuring to know we're not off our rockers.

BS: Me, 27
WS: Her, 24
EA: October
PA: 11/22/10
Moved out 12/3/10
Moved back in mid-January.

In tentative recovery. Is that the sun I see, breaking through the fog?
M
OP Offline
M
Dang, I hate when I don't think of stuff like that! doh2 Of course,I should put this on the SAA forum! Thanks, HopeandGrace! Off to notify the mods...

D-Day 2-10-2009

L
L
I found that it isn't helpful once you have recovered or even after you found out the ugly truth to tell everyone, including the local Starbucks expresso coffee makers. Of course, you do need people to confide in (like your dad, grandma, or whatever). I talk to my spirital Mom at church about it from time to time.

S
S
You know what MB?
I absolutely needed to read that post today, THANKYOU!

I appreciate the vets on here, how else do we gain hope and encouragement without the people who are living proof that this stuff is able to be overcome? I can imagine that staying on here is a constant reminder of your own devastation so I am aware of the sacrifice you make to help others.

God bless you MaritalBliss

Me BS - 28
Him WS - 30
D-Day - 7th Dec 2010
Married 6 years
Together 9
2 gorgeous children
Trying to recover - one step at a time
L
L
Yes thank you God for creating Marriage Builders... I used to use other sites but this one definitely saved me.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by sadandmad
You know what MB?
I absolutely needed to read that post today, THANKYOU!

I appreciate the vets on here, how else do we gain hope and encouragement without the people who are living proof that this stuff is able to be overcome? I can imagine that staying on here is a constant reminder of your own devastation so I am aware of the sacrifice you make to help others.

God bless you MaritalBliss
Huh. That's weird, sadandmad - I kept trying to shake off writing this post but I just couldn't do it. I started a draft at lunchtime and deleted it because it was so long. But the urge to post it wouldn't leave me alone until I finally put it on at the end of my work day.

I actually said to myself "I wonder if I'm being pushed to post this because someone in particular needs to see it??"

I'm glad it helped you, sad. Thank you for your kind words. smile

D-Day 2-10-2009

P
P
(((((((MB)))))))) you rock. Thank you for sharing this.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
R
R
Marital you paying it forward with the others has changed lives. No matter what else comes, we owe you.

Sincerely all the best with your marriage, your life and your family.

Someday I will toss that file in my desk at work with all the copies of things I wished never happened. Not today:)

FBH,Dad
No half measures, in anything.
S
S
Originally Posted by princessmeggy
(((((((MB)))))))) you rock. Thank you for sharing this.
marital bliss is the bees knees. Thank you for writing this.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
J
J
You are blessed.........all the best in the future..............jessi

BW 56
WH 57
Married 25 years, live together for 2, dated 2 years before that.....
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
Grateful for finding Marriage Builders
T
T
MB, I too needed to read this today. Even though I had a stellar Plan A day yesterday, today I woke up a little down. The emotional roller coaster really is terrifying. That is when I come here to read stories like yours. Thank you.

BS(me)- 44
WS- 41
D-day #1- (EA) 08/02/2010
D-day #2- (PA) 09/24/2010
WS moved out- 11/11/2010
NC- 02/21/2011
Plan A
A
A
MB,

Thank you for writing this. Sometimes I wonder why I still read on this forum. Often, I think I don't have too much in common with those posting. I really relate to this post however. It is a great reminder of the journey.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
M
M
Bravo to you, MB! And thanks for all you do on this forum! smile

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
L
Thank you MB. Add me to the list of those that needed to read this today.

Me = BH
DDay Dec. 2010
D filed Oct 2011 (by me)
D final 3/16/12
T
T
Very nice story. Very encouraging. Thanks!

TheCAPE

S
S
WOW, thank you for sharing MB!!! smile

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
N
N
MB

YOU ARE THE BOMB!!! dance2

I see you all over this board helping in any way you can.

Thank you. You are a true asset to the board.

Nesre

Last edited by nesre; 02/11/11 05:53 PM.
P
P

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 418 guests, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation