Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
C
Originally Posted by Goomeri
I guess if you've taken the Harley Drug you disagree with that.

Wow, guess you really don't want help here.

M
M
We'll see what happens. I think life in the big wide world is more complex than is being recognized. What if an OW has a child of the affair? Surely joint parenting violates NC. Oh yeah, NC is total and all that matters and all men are [censored] who are just like alcoholics.

Keep in mind that these suggestions are completely voluntary, you don't have to do anything. The suggestions we are giving are for those who want to recover their marriages. In the case of a child that is the product of an affair, the principle is the same, of course. If the couple wants to recover their marriage, there is no contact between the affair partners. Those that don't, live a life of hell and don't recover their marriages. They often deal with an on again, off again affair for years. Their spouses remain in a state of perpetual withdrawal. That factor is not negated just because of the existance of a child. Reality is reality.

Don't get me wrong, I recognize NC would be so simple if I was willing to ask him to become a HS teacher. He would do it I believe. But it would create its own problems for the marriage. Lots of them.

A career change would cause more trouble than an ongoing affair? Ok. crazy Again, that just supports my contention that his career takes precedence over your marriage.

And that's ok, Goomeri. It is your life and your marriage, not ours. We recovered our marriages. You asked how to recover your marriage and we told you. You can take it or leave it. I wish you the best. smile

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

V
V
What if an OW has a child of the affair? Surely joint parenting violates NC.

Head over to the Parenting forum. A child from an affair doesn't necessitate Contact. It can be done.

Oh yeah, NC is total and all that matters and all men are [censored] who are just like alcoholics.

Nope... A PERSON in an ADULTEROUS AFFAIR is like an alcoholic. This is because of the nature of an affair, because of what happens in the BRAIN when an affair happens.

A person who is in an affair's brain is exactly LIKE a person who has an addiction:

Now to answer the question asked, is love an addiction? I believe love is a type of addiction, not necessarily love itself but the feelings that arise when a person is in love. When a person is in love, the pleasure parts of the brain are activated by the hormones released dopamine, PEA and oxytocin. Since all three of these hormones are natural endorphins, they must act like amphetamines do on the brain. Since these hormones are acting like drugs do on the brain, the brain must become tolerant to these hormones and when the couple breaks up, there must be a withdrawal period. In life, both of these phenomenons occur. The longer a couple is together their brains become tolerant to the hormones being released, which causes the euphoric feeling to not be felt as strong or not even felt at all, so when this happens the couple could still be in love, but their love changes from a passionate love into a more committed love where the two people love each other for who they are. If the two people are not truly in love, they might break up and when this happens, the brain stops having it's doses of dopamine, PEA and oxytocin, so the brain goes through withdrawal, which is why when you lose a lover you feel sad and depressed. These symptoms are a lot like being addicted to drugs, so therefore the people who think they are addicted to love, might really be, but they are really addicted to the feelings and hormones released during being in love.

Source

It's already known that newly in love individuals show activity in dopamine-rich areas when they view images of � or think about � their significant others. This means the Ventral Tegmental Area (VTA), which is part of the reward center, shows a lot of activity. (This is also the area that lights up on the brain scans of addicts when they take cocaine.)
Source

There is a lot of research out there on what happens to the brain when one falls in love. It is VERY similar to addiction, and thus it must be treated like an addiction. THIS is why Harley insists upon No Contact as a requirement for recovery.

There are stories here of affairs that restart YEARS afterwards, because of a chance contact.

There are MANY stories here about people reconnecting at a high school reunion with an old flame and rebeginning the affair. WHY? Because those feelings never really die, they just go dormant. Contact causes them to resurge, for the chemicals to surge through the brain again, restirring the feelings of love and connection.

Don't get me wrong, I recognize NC would be so simple if I was willing to ask him to become a HS teacher. He would do it I believe. But it would create its own problems for the marriage. Lots of them.

You can pick the act, you can't pick the consequences. You really can't. The problems it creates are a consequence of his CHOICE to have an affair. Adultery is painful and messy, it ruins lives. That is the consequence of his choice.

He can either go COMPLETE NC, and all that entails - or he can continue.... seeing her every year or every few months. And at some point one of two things will happen:

He will resume the affair - and your marriage will be over.
You will drive yourself insane with an inability to trust him, every time he is gone for a conference you will trigger BACK to your Dday. You will feel those same feelings, fears and thoughts. You will never be able to move past it. And THAT will kill your marriage and probably your sanity.

I don't believe there is a God out there with one single answer that can be applied to every individual case. I guess if you've taken the Harley Drug you disagree with that. That's your prerogative and I wish you well.

This has no bearing on whether you believe in God. This is all founded on an understanding of HOW the human mind and body work. There is a lot of research to back it up and a wealth of anecdotal evidence to support it just here on this very forum.

It isn't just Harley that advocates No Contact. Do some research on the brain in love and affairs as addictions, and you will see WHY NC is essential.

Do whatever you want, but be willing to bear the consequences of your actions - because they WILL come, one way or another.

He CHOSE to have an affair. Now you get to deal with the fallout. If he didn't want to be a high school science teacher, then he should have thought of that before he decided to have an inappropriate and unprofessional relationship.

You can CHOSE to not insist on NC, but then YOU will have to deal with the marriage that results from that. People are sharing their experiences and knowledge with you - since it isn't the answer you want to hear, you are sticking your fingers in your ear and castigating us all for drinking the kool-aid....

I wish you well, and am sorry you're stuck in this position.

Last edited by Vibrissa; 02/28/11 10:42 AM.

Me & DH: 28
Married 8/20/05
1DD, 9 mo.
Just Lookin' and Learnin'
HIYA!
S
S
Originally Posted by ManInMotion
The point of copying is to show it is merely professional. I've seen their professional emails, they are pretty cold.

So were the OM's e-mails to my FWW, and vice-versa. Didn't stop them from boinking on the office desk when they got the chance.

FWIW, I was one of those who questioned the "NC" thing in the beginning. I regretted it afterwards.

Its hard to screw on a desk from different hemispheres. Or in public in front of half a dozen colleagues.

OK, I am sorry you are here and I am sorry that you are upset with the notion that NC is necessary to recover your M but may I remind you of your own words in your first post:

How will I cope if he has to go to conferences 3-4 times a year where I know she will be there?
There is no reason for you to get snarky with MiM when it is clear that there will be ample opportunity for them to continue the affair.

Take the advice or leave it but there is no reason to insult people who are just trying to warn you. Good luck.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
R
R
Goomeri,
You don't have to believe in a higher power but MB is logical, scientific, most likely to save a marriage dessimated by one spouse nuking it with infedelity.

Marital recovery is not for the faint hearted.....it is for people who believe that their marriage is worth all the necessary precautions that need to be implemented to save it and even THAT is no guarentee that both spouses will continue to follow the precautions and secure the relationship.

M
M
Originally Posted by ManInMotion
The point of copying is to show it is merely professional. I've seen their professional emails, they are pretty cold.

So were the OM's e-mails to my FWW, and vice-versa. Didn't stop them from boinking on the office desk when they got the chance.

FWIW, I was one of those who questioned the "NC" thing in the beginning. I regretted it afterwards.

Its hard to screw on a desk from different hemispheres. Or in public in front of half a dozen colleagues.

I am sorry you regretted it. We'll see what happens. I think life in the big wide world is more complex than is being recognized. What if an OW has a child of the affair? Surely joint parenting violates NC. Oh yeah, NC is total and all that matters and all men are [censored] who are just like alcoholics.

I don't believe there is a God out there with one single answer that can be applied to every individual case. I guess if you've taken the Harley Drug you disagree with that. That's your prerogative and I wish you well.

There is a specific case here that I'm thinking of where NC wasn't observed in the case of an OC. Guess what the result was? ANOTHER OC.

As you've been told, NC is the ONLY way to a recovered marriage. People aren't telling you this because they've taken "The Harley Drug" - What a disrespectful thing to say! People are telling you this based upon, yes, the advice of a professional with 40 years experience in helping marriages recover from infidelity and their own personal experiences. You ignore this advice at your own peril. I am sad for you.

It sounds like you are more concerned with PRESTIGE than recovering your marriage and keeping your sanity. That is your choice, you have been warned.

Your anger at those giving you very helpful and FREE advice is shocking and misplaced. You are shooting at the rescue 'copters. Ask yourself, why?

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

M
M
Your anger at those giving you very helpful and FREE advice is shocking and misplaced. You are shooting at the rescue 'copters. Ask yourself, why?

IMO it's because she knows the advice is dead on and she is ANGRY that her life and her H's career are going to be forever changed due to his A.

Don't shoot the messenger, Goomeri. We are on our side. You said in your first post that you know NC is necessary. You were HOPING to hear that it wasn't true but deep down you know it is.

We are on your side. We want your M to work and we know it can, and that it can be better than ever. My H never thought he'd be able to leave his job (we moved out of state) in order to ensure NC. Guess what? He found a better job, better pay and a better place to live.

You never know what's waiting for you when you follow these plans to a tee. Please don't try to sidestep this issue. Besides the obvious benefits NC has, another one is the nervous breakdown YOU will avoid if you know NC is in place.

I've yet to see a BW who knows her H is in contact with his AP who did NOT have a nervous breakdown. The benefits of NC are indescribable.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006
D-Day #3~Feb.27, 2007 (we'd been in a FR)
Plan B~ March 3 ~ April 6, 2007

In Recovery and things are improving every day. MB rocks. smile
M
M
Agree with MF.

It's really bizarre, your anger at us, Goomeri. I believe if you stop and take a breath, you will agree. Sit down and really, really think about this.

It's like you've asked for directions on how to get somewhere and then you are mad at the person for telling you the only way to get where you want to go is to take the Interstate. He tells you that he's sorry that the bridge is out on the road that you wanted to take, but you are still angry at HIM. As if it's his fault that the bridge is out. You decide you will shout at him and tell him that clearly he's just taking "The Rand McNally Drug". Naturally, that still won't change that the bridge is out and the only way to get to where you want to go is the interstate. But if you insist on taking the road with no bridge, even though he knows you will crash and burn, his only option is to wish you well, say a prayer for you and shed a tear knowing you will meet with an untimely demise.

This is very hard to watch, Goomeri.

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

T
T
I'm still trying to figure out what is so demeaning about being a HS teacher. You have gotten excellent advice. If you are looking for someone to tell you that your H and his OW can see each other and maintain contact and "it will all be okay," no one here will tell you that. Because they are honest. When someone knowingly places their hand on a hot stove....the burns and scars they receive are not the stove's fault.

P
P
rotflmao

I can't say the "T" word .... but I can think it all I want to.
smile

Last edited by Pepperband; 02/28/11 03:05 PM.
M
M
[Linked Image from pic4ever.com] Don't feed them or they'll follow you home...

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

R
R
Couldn't we keep one as a pet?

B
B

Actually there is a God with a one-size-fits-all solution. His name is Jesus and He is the answer for any situation.

A lot of people here have taken the Harley drug and recovered their marriages. How does your alternate 'plan' stand up?

Me: 56 (FBS) Wife: 55 (FWW)
D-Day August 2005
Married 11/1982 3 Sons 27,25,23
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
M
M
Originally Posted by reading
Couldn't we keep one as a pet?
No. And you're not allowed to name it, either.
laugh

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

F
F
I think they name themselves.

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
G
Goomeri Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Wow, so many more comments. I will try to respond to a few that resonated with me.

Tawandabelle, yes I agree, he's not Marie Curie. But his profession is integral who who HE is, that is, take that away and much of his identity would be gone. He's not a climb the corporate ladder type AT ALL, its not about status though my examples may have given that impression, it's about identity. I don't want him to be stripped of his identity. I don't think I'd want to live with him if he were. I don't think it would make me a nice person or him a better person.

But you're right - we are brainstorming. And my going to conferences is exactly one of the ideas. He has specifically said he WON'T go without me this year, which is too soon to put any career alterations in place. OW is in another country, but the one where many conferences take place. It will be hard for me to go with him 3-4 times a year (with or without the children) but at the moment that's what I'm planning to do. NC is only really possible if he leaves the profession altogether which I won't let him do (and re a later question yes he has offered to become a high school teacher). But with my going to conferences I believe there would be as close to NC as you can get in many cases, its always possible to bump into someone on the street. I know people who went to live in Beijing only to find they met their former roommate crossing the street there!

Happyheart: your questions:

I live in New Zealand. The EA was going on for about 2-3 months. We've been married nearly 10 years, together for a couple of years longer than that. We've had 2 miscarriages, a stillbirth, children, moving continents 3 times and a long period of my unemployment as well as each of us battling bouts of depression in that time. It has been a very hard 10 years and it would surprise me if we didn't have issues to resolve. The EA went deep in one way, but was completely unrealistic in other ways. Role-playing on his part. I found out because he was honest about his friendship with her and I didn't like it and we argued about whether it was inappropriate. In the course of that I worked out that he had told her things that were much more personal than I was comfortable with. When confronted he didn't deny it and has handed over his emails etc which I did not snoop on but which would have been evidence of an EA. I've spoken to her with H there and from H's face I can tell he shocked her at how attached she was. He thought it was temporary. She didn't.

I don't even know her H's name let alone his phone number. I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to contact him.

I should make it clear the HS teacher suggestion came from him. He is prepared to do that I believe. In terms of priorities I believe our marriage ranks second only to his own sanity, and I can't fault him for that though I can fault him on many things.

I have never suggested I thought it was appropriate he rub shoulders with her whenever he felt like it. They live on different continents. They work at different places. But there is still an inevitable risk of bumping into each other professionally at conferences which happy several times a year. Also her dad lives in our country so its always remotely possible she'll visit him occasionally.

For those who enjoy ridiculing someone who doesn't swallow the whole package go for it. For the 2 above, I appreciate the more constructive responses.

P
P
One of the most important requirements for becoming a member is that you read all of Dr. Harley's Ten Basic Concepts. Click the tab "Basic Concepts" above on the header to find them. The purpose of this Forum is to help couples use those Basic Concepts to overcome marital conflicts and restore romantic love.

Many of our members have been in shoes similar if not the same as yours. They begin by asking questions and, with the help of Dr. Harley's Basic Concepts, other members point them in a direction that will solve their problem. After their problem is solved, they often stay on to help new members with their own experience, perspective, and opinion.

Sometimes you may hear alternative opinions that conflict with Dr. Harley's Ten Basic Concepts. These are often raised by those who have not solved their own marital problems, but still feel they are qualified to advise others. When this happens you can expect some members to explain why their approach won't work, and why Marriage Builders� offers a better solution. There are many who are offended when that happens, but please keep in mind that the ultimate purpose of this Forum is to discuss and learn Marriage Builders� concepts.

P
P

P
P

P
P

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 676 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation