Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
OP Offline
P
Dec 2008, Mark1952 wrote the following post.
It is found deep in the archives.
I wanted to bring it back to the discussion.

So, I bring you Mark1952's thoughtful post about Plan A vs Plan FU.

Plan A or kick 'em to the curb?

There seems to be two schools of thought floating around right now on these forums in regard to how a betrayed husband should handle an affair by his wife as opposed to what a woman should do in response to an affair by her husband,

One line of reasoning seems to be saying that a man must confront his wife directly and demand that she end the affair and throw her out if she does not comply or he will look like a wimp.

The other says that a man should follow the Marriage Builders practice of attempting Plan A, follow it up with Plan B and only after some time has passed jumping to Plan D.

The first always works if you are willing to immediately kick your wayward wife to the curb, file for divorce and leave her in the dust if she doesn't stop the affair. It keeps the husband from having to deal with an actively wayward wife, quickly pushes the marriage into recovery or divorce and the state of limbo so many go through comes to a merciful and well defined end.

This often leads to a quick move into recovery for those whose marriage was actually pretty good before the affair and the wayward wife really wasn't looking to end the marriage and run off with the other man but merely having a little fun on the side as so many men have been prone to do for so many generations in some cultures. In these cases simply confronting the wayward wife and telling her that she has to decide often makes her decide at once to end the affair and try to fix the marriage.

Those who have recovered their marriage using this technique rightly believe that it can lead to recovery pretty quickly and so in their experience, demanding all that is needed from the wayward wife in order to recover the marriage seems like a proven method that leads to recovery. And it does, in a pretty good sized number of cases. But many men who used this method and had it turn out successful never appear at Marriage Builders because the affair ended, the wife made concessions and their lives have moved along with little fanfare.

One problem with those who don't come here and believe that recovery is an instant solution often never get to the real problems that led to the affair in the first place and a repeat is more likely. This is not the domain of betrayed husbands alone and many women find themselves on a second roller coaster years down the road.

The only problem with this method of demanding an end to the affair and laying out certain recovery steps in order to remain out of divorce court is that it usually does not lead to recovery of the marriage. The wayward wife who decides when confronted that she has made a horrible mistake and immediately sees the damage she has done and wishes to rectify it is in the minority rather than the majority.

Most often, a woman having an affair has already checked out of the marriage and has decided before she got very far down the road to adultery that she wants to get divorced from her husband, whether or not this new relationship with the affair partner works out. Now this is really just what we all call the fog of the affair talking in most cases, but the wayward wife believes it is true and has convinced herself that she would be seeking divorce even if the other man were not in the picture.

A man whose wife falls into this category and has maybe already moved out of the house, in some cases having already filed for divorce and yet he wishes to attempt to save his marriage is the one we most often see around here. Telling this type of wayward wife to either shape up or ship out usually ends in her living with the other man in a rented love shack while the husband tries to work visitation with his children into his busy schedule.

Plan A only brings the affair to an end and leads to recovery about 15% of the time. I know that doesn't sound like a very big number but considering that half of all marriages in this country end in divorce, it probably means that Plan A is saving some marriages just because it works some of the time.

But in the case where Plan A does not bring and end to the affair Plan B is what most around here would suggest as a next step. The purpose of Plan B is to basically stop the bleeding and wait until the affair burns out at which time it can be determined if there is enough left of the relationship to attempt recovery. Just so everyone understands, there usually is not enough left by then, but in the cases where there is, the two step Plan A followed by Plan B can lead to a recovered and rebuilt marriage.

Now some might not be able to stomach knowing that an affair is continuing and will be unwilling to attempt to win their wife back from another man. That is purely a matter of choice. But telling her to put up or shut up will only lead to a small number of recoveries and in most of those cases where it does not the men will not be here looking for help to save their marriages because they either bought the bovine excrement their wives fed them that the marriage was over and there was nothing they could do about it or they themselves could not handle having a wife that was sleeping with another man and decided to leave her behind and seek out a replacement (most often the case when he has not been exactly thrilled with the marriage for a while either.)

So Plan A is for those that want to save their marriage, or at least try to do so and when the affair has not come to an immediate end and remorse set in just by confronting a wayward wife. It does not save all marriages, is not for anyone who is a bit squeamish about swallowing their own pride and is not for everyone. But for a man, who wants to save his marriage, has not been able to break the affair by confronting his wife and can handle his tendency to be macho above all it can and does lead to success in about 15% of the cases it is applied to.

What is most often wrong with men who are in Plan A is that they are not really in Plan A at all. They are in Plan Beg, Plead, Kowtow, bend-over-and-take-it, lay down and let her walk all over you, Plan Doormat. They really have no PLAN and are just floundering around looking for the magic solution to their problem. There IS no magic!

These men most often believe the garbage they have been told by the wayward wife when she tells him she has been unhappy for years, that OM has nothing to do with her wanting to leave him, that there is nothing he can do to stop this from happening and all her friends and family seem to be on her side already. These guys come here and ask "what should I do"� and then do the exact opposite and come back wondering what the continuation of the affair means in the big scheme of things. "How do I make her stop this?" is the most common question, even when not asked directly. The answer is, you can not make her do anything. You have to make her WANT to stay married in order to have any hope for the marriage at all.

And for those that confrontation alone did not cause that to happen and yet still desire to save their marriage, Plan A is the next step. Not making her happy since that is not the purpose of Plan A, but giving her a reason to end the affair and try to recover the marriage. Properly done, Plan A does not make her happy, it makes her furious because it intrudes on the fantasy she is living in and brings the light of truth into the darkness of deception where the affair exists.

There is a huge difference between men and women when it comes to Plan A. But the difference is in how long they can actually do a decent job of it. A man who enters into Plan A knowing what it is and what it is not should be able to do it for about 6 weeks with little effort. Six months should be the maximum. Women can not do it for that long because most women are not as competitive to begin with. And that is what Plan A is, a competition to win your wife back from the fantasy she has run after. If you can not stomach that thought, then do not bother to try, because it will make you sick every day of your life from now till the day you die.

But if you understand and agree to do it as an effort to save your marriage, it bridges the gap between confrontation and Plan FU. It is a step in a process that might not lead to recovery at all for the marriage, but will always lead to making the man stronger rather than weaker if it done like it is supposed to be since Plan A is about fixing yourself in hopes of saving your marriage.

The list of all the things a betrayed husband needs from his wayward wife to stay married to her including honesty, passwords to email, all of those things only apply to making the marriage better and more affair proof, fixing it. Unless you save the marriage to begin with there will be nothing to fix. And when telling her to stop the affair does not work and you are not ready to throw in the towel, that is when Plan A and maybe Plan B can do what they are intended to do, save the marriage so that it can be fixed.

Not everyone needs to do Plan A.
Not everyone CAN do Plan A.
Not everyone SHOULD do Plan A.
Not Many WILL do Plan A.
Not every Plan A leads to recovery.
Not doing anything while the affair rages on is NOT Plan A.

Plan A is a plan of action, not inaction!

If you find your wife is having an affair, I suggest that you confront her at once and tell her in no uncertain terms that she must end the affair and commit to making the marriage better than it was before.

If that does not make the affair end and you still want to try to save the marriage, for whatever reason, that is when I recommend Plan A.

And if that does not work and you STILL want to try some more, then it will be Plan B.

If you do not care or you do not want to Plan A or B, then I will support you in Plan D.
LINK to the original in archives

P
OP Offline
P
Properly done, Plan A does not make her happy, it makes her furious because it intrudes on the fantasy she is living in and brings the light of truth into the darkness of deception where the affair exists.

A VERY important point for the BH's going into Plan A to recognize.

Your WW will NOT be happy with your Plan A.
Do NOT gauge your Plan A performance on HER moods.

P
OP Offline
P
Not everyone needs to do Plan A.
Not everyone CAN do Plan A.
Not everyone SHOULD do Plan A.
Not Many WILL do Plan A.
Not every Plan A leads to recovery.
Not doing anything while the affair rages on is NOT Plan A.

Plan A is a plan of action, not inaction!

Some (rare) WW will end their A on discovery.
Many will say they have and continue the A secretly. (GPS her car men, no matter what she says)

Should you Plan A your WW who is also an active addict?
Only if you do the most brief Plan A possible while you prepare for a very QUICK Plan B.

Last edited by Pepperband; 03/13/11 11:55 AM.
P
OP Offline
P
There is a huge difference between men and women when it comes to Plan A. But the difference is in how long they can actually do a decent job of it. A man who enters into Plan A knowing what it is and what it is not should be able to do it for about 6 weeks with little effort. Six months should be the maximum. Women can not do it for that long because most women are not as competitive to begin with. And that is what Plan A is, a competition to win your wife back from the fantasy she has run after. If you can not stomach that thought, then do not bother to try, because it will make you sick every day of your life from now till the day you die.

But if you understand and agree to do it as an effort to save your marriage, it bridges the gap between confrontation and Plan FU. It is a step in a process that might not lead to recovery at all for the marriage, but will always lead to making the man stronger rather than weaker if it done like it is supposed to be since Plan A is about fixing yourself in hopes of saving your marriage.

Plan A is about fixing YOURSELF in hopes of saving your marriage.
Taking YOUR honest inventory and acting on what your find.
Getting stronger.
Finding courage.
Showing self respect.
Losing old bad habits.
Getting healthy.
Honesty with yourself, and with your WW.
Willingness to share some intimate and difficult feelings with a WW who is totally selfish.

Developing a WAR PLAN and acting on it.
LINK to The Art Of War - Sun Tzu

Last edited by Pepperband; 03/13/11 12:03 PM.
A
A
thank you for this very timely post

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by abc098
thank you for this very timely post

You are welcome, mister alphabet.

S
S
Thanks. I need reminders. Plan A for five weeks for me. Not doing it perfectly but trying to get it right. I believe I can make six months. Discouraged sometimes. Gauging her moods is frustrating. This long post helps.

I wish I could share this wisdom with WW.

Fyi, there is no active affair. Only in her fantasy. But she did leave the marriage when the EA happened. She wanted PA badly but was rejected. She is more heartbroken by OM rejection than about losing me. Dealing with a lot of fog. I wish she could read some of the wisdom here.

Me: 43
ExWW: 44
Married 16yrs. 4 children

EA (ExWW): May-Nov 2009 + Aug-Dec 2010
D-DAY JAN 30, 2011
Exposure: FEB 7, 2011
Contact Again: Apr 25, 2011
Divorce Final Sept 2012

"I want to be married and stay married. Now I uunderstand the kind of marriage I want and we all deserve. But I also know it takes two to want to Build that Marriage."
W
W
Pepperband,

Why is the WW not happy with Plan A? Especially if she has said she wants a divorce (?fogbabble? but she is proceding down that path).

WoundedTiger

Me: BS 38
Her: WW 37
Married 12 years, together 13
Children 3: 10, 8, 5
"We're Done" (1) 10/17/10
PLAN A, immediately after (not introduced to MB, just fixing me)
D-DAY: 11/14/10 (admission)
?False attempt/recovery?
"We're Done" (2) 1/17/11
W
W
I will start my own thread here shortly.

Me: BS 38
Her: WW 37
Married 12 years, together 13
Children 3: 10, 8, 5
"We're Done" (1) 10/17/10
PLAN A, immediately after (not introduced to MB, just fixing me)
D-DAY: 11/14/10 (admission)
?False attempt/recovery?
"We're Done" (2) 1/17/11
S
S
One of the truest statements I read here was,

"He who cares the LEAST has all the power."

Plan A is about raising the level of care in the WS to the level of wanting to end the affair and get onboard with recovery.

Plan "Kick to the curb" is about lowering the BS's level of care to where they can control the situation.

I think both could work, and that sometimes the suddeness of plan kick to the curb is actually better and can knock the WS out of the fog, especially in a case where the WS isn't really looking to leave the marriage.

Neither approach will sustain things afterwards if EN's continue to go unmet.

L
L
If you have not met your wayward wifes emotional needs, she justifies having her affair. She uses that to convince herself that you don't care about her, that you don't love her.
In many cases, the WW tried to get your attention but gave up.

It makes her incredibly angry when you show the ability and willingness to meet those needs. She has already checked out.
She will think "oh NOW you'll do these things, after its too late, after I already found someone else".
And she will convince herself that you are only willing now -- because you fear divorce or financial loss. Not because you love her. She is already convinced that you do not care about her.

And she knows her behavior is trashy. So she is mad at YOU for making her resort to that.

E
E
Originally Posted by Lexxxy
If you have not met your wayward wifes emotional needs, she justifies having her affair. She uses that to convince herself that you don't care about her, that you don't love her.
In many cases, the WW tried to get your attention but gave up.
This is why I'm a proponent of plan FU for a wayward wife, after having tried exposure, plan A, and plan I give up. (I really saw no reason for plan B since we had no contact anyway other than via lawyers.)

No matter what you do, if you find yourself in this situation, you are wrong if you are a BH.

If you didn't understand her "pleas" she thinks she clearly made, then you are the bad BH who deserves his wife leaving.

If you admit you made mistakes and try to do things right, (plan A) instead of your efforts being viewed as what they are, trying to be the best husband you can possibly be, they are treated with contempt and in 85% of the cases if we believe the numbers presented in the OP, they don't really matter anyway since she'll continue on with the affair and the divorce. If you participate in plan FU, then she'll feel validated, ignoring the nuclear rape of the marriage called her affair.

So plan FU it is, since a wayward really is out of her mind anyway. If someone has so little respect for me that they'll have an affair and try to blame me for it, then plan FU is the most appropriate plan.
Originally Posted by Lexxxy
It makes her incredibly angry when you show the ability and willingness to meet those needs. She has already checked out.
She will think "oh NOW you'll do these things, after its too late, after I already found someone else".
And she will convince herself that you are only willing now -- because you fear divorce or financial loss. Not because you love her. She is already convinced that you do not care about her.

And she knows her behavior is trashy. So she is mad at YOU for making her resort to that.

Which is why I say plan FU for the reasons I've stated before. No matter what you do, she's going to spin it to blame her BH, so what does it really matter.

Spend your resources on trying to get custody if you have minor children, not on trying to win back the WW.

M
M
And then there are WWs who are like me, EE...Plan A worked in our case...Today we are very happily married with an intact family -- So if we are going to use anecdotal situations as evidence, then each time you mention yours, please be sure to mention ours as well. That's only fair, yes?

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

E
E
Originally Posted by MrsWondering
And then there are WWs who are like me, EE...Plan A worked in our case...Today we are very happily married with an intact family -- So if we are going to use anecdotal situations as evidence, then each time you mention yours, please be sure to mention ours as well please. That's only fair, yes?

Mrs. W

What would be fair is for every one of your cases, remind folks that there are 6 cases where the WW got the divorce she wanted.

So I'll mention yours every 7th time, given that we are now told that only 15% of BH's who works the plans end up with a restored marriage.

The other 85% get the result I got.

I'm willing to mention your result, but keep in mind your results are not typical, and that's always been my point.

If you want to fight, then this is the best plan. But even the best plan has only a 15 percent success rate. Which means it's an 85 percent failure rate when you define success as a recovered marriage.

Now Dr H can redefine success as either a recovered marriage, or a BH being ready for it to end if you wish. But that's like defining a successful operation as only losing half your limbs and organs. You may be alive, but you lost half.

If a BH loses daily access to his children, there is now way you can call the outcome of the plan a success, period.

Last edited by Enlightened_Ex; 03/14/11 12:36 PM. Reason: Wrong Fraction
V
V
Originally Posted by Enlightened_Ex
If someone has so little respect for me that they'll have an affair and try to blame me for it, then plan FU is the most appropriate plan.

EE, I think you should know by now that her affair was not about you.

FTR, my H also had success w/ his Plan A. Moreover, it was a fear of any sort of Plan B by him that fueled our recovery.

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
D-day: 2008
E
E
Originally Posted by Mrs_Vanilla
If someone has so little respect for me that they'll have an affair and try to blame me for it, then plan FU is the most appropriate plan.

FTR, my H also had success w/ his Plan A. Moreover, it was a fear of any sort of Plan B by him that fueled our recovery.

That's odd, it was me she divorced, not herself. It was me who is no longer the primary custodian of our child simply because she was a stay at home mom.

Telling me it wasn't about me really is little comfort since my XWW has the majority of time to shape and mold my child.

So why not tell me something really useful and comforting?

I believe you mean well. I hope you understand how hollow your words come across when I read them.

V
V
Originally Posted by MrsWondering
And then there are WWs who are like me, EE...Plan A worked in our case...Today we are very happily married with an intact family -- So if we are going to use anecdotal situations as evidence, then each time you mention yours, please be sure to mention ours as well please. That's only fair, yes?

Mrs. W

What would be fair is for every one of your cases, remind folks that there are 6 cases where the WW got the divorce she wanted.

So I'll mention yours every 7th time, given that we are now told that only 15% of BH's who works the plans end up with a restored marriage.

The other 85% get the result I got.

I'm willing to mention your result, but keep in mind your results are not typical, and that's always been my point.

If you want to fight, then this is the best plan. But even the best plan has only a 15 percent success rate. Which means it's an 85 percent failure rate when you define success as a recovered marriage.

Now Dr H can redefine success as either a recovered marriage, or a BH being ready for it to end if you wish. But that's like defining a successful operation as only losing half your limbs and organs. You may be alive, but you lost half.

If a BH loses daily access to his children, there is now way you can call the outcome of the plan a success, period.

But isn't the outcome a foregone conclusion anyway, according to your theory, EE? Why not try something to get a better outcome?

Say you have a nasty cut on your leg. You visit the doc, and he says:

A) You know what? Let's just amputate the whole thing, be done with it. Simple!

or

B) Let's clean it out, try some meds, and you should be back to normal in 2-3 weeks.

What makes more sense to you?

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
V
V
Originally Posted by Mrs_Vanilla

That's odd, it was me she divorced, not herself. It was me who is no longer the primary custodian of our child simply because she was a stay at home mom.

Telling me it wasn't about me really is little comfort since my XWW has the majority of time to shape and mold my child.

So why not tell me something really useful and comforting?

I believe you mean well. I hope you understand how hollow your words come across when I read them.

EE, my intent was more to point out something that I think is a necessary part of recovery.

We all know infidelity is devastating to M, to families, to kids - it's an equal opportunity destroyer. And, yeah, it's entirely unfair that an actively WS should by default get custody when there is a better alternative in the BS. I shudder to think what kind of lives my kids would have had if my H and I D'd and I had custody of the kids when I was wayward.

But even though you feel some severe consequences, to think that her decision to have an affair and carry through with destroying your family had anything to do with you is just holding you back from making your life better without her. That's all I wanted to point out.

Last edited by Mrs_Vanilla; 03/14/11 12:51 PM. Reason: reworded

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
E
E
The problem is the BH doesn't get to make that decision.

An affair is more than a nasty cut. The BH didn't choose the cut, and the WW didn't fall on the OM's penis by accident.

She is the one who chooses if she's going to amputate or not. It doesn't matter if he plan A's or plan FU's, she will ultimately decide.

Only in 15% of cases where he plan A's will she choose NOT to amputate. The other 85% of the time or 6 out of 7 times, she will cut.

So keep in mind that for every restored marriage you cite, there are 6 where the WW ignored her husband and stayed gone, and probably took his kids too.

This isn't a problem with men here. The real question is why do we keep making excuses for these women who betray their husbands? Why do we allow the courts to continue to give these women primary custody of their children? Why do these women get any marital assets when they betray their vows.

Instead of blaming men, why are we not coming down hard on the women who choose to end their marriages in such a fashion?

If they want out, fine, let them go. We cannot hold someone against her will. But she should leave with only a suitcase and 50% of the marital debt. No assets, no children.

But instead of addressing that issue, we want to analyze if husbands are doing the right things if their wives betray them.

Wrong focus.

The question is why are we tolerating unfaithful spouses, men or women getting a single good marital asset or more than a nanosecond with the children who they also betray with their affairs?

That's the real question.

M
M
So your message is to just not fight at all then? Instead to bemoan the unfairness of it all and just roll over and give up in the beginning? To just go ahead and admit defeat without a fight EVEN though there IS a chance -- Even though there ARE families who are restored by using these plans?

EE, if you don't fight you are guaranteed to lose -- Aren't families worth the fight when some ARE restored?

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 728 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation