Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2488864 03/15/11 07:14 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Friends: I learned of my WS's infidelity on 1/23/11. No sense in saying how I felt as I know many of you are equally aware. WS is a nurse and had PA with a married doctor, 43 yrs old, three kids all under age 10. The affair thrived in the workplace and they spent at least one night together while I was traveling. A began as EA in Aug. and turned to PA in Oct.

Since then I have poured over HNHN and SAA as well as this forum. You all have been a great help in keeping me on the path of recovery but now I need your input. Pls allow me to give you a status report first.

1. Plan A - Have written and am doing Plan A for six months (till 7/23/11).
2. Snooping - Installed eblaster on comp. Monitoring email and cell phone activity (heh). I cannot read her texts b/c her phone is pword protected and can't install monitoring software. Lame.
3. Exposure - PA has been exposed to both sides of our family, pastor, and close friends. It has not been exposed to OMW.
4. WS - Took 30 day LOA from work to go home. Says she is seeking "closure".
5. OM - I texted 2/15/11 and told him to get out of our marriage. He complied. Called WW to say it was over. He has not communicated since then. They used to text, email all day. Since then WW will text him at least once day, down from at least 50/day. Her last email to him was 3/3/11. He has not written or texted back since 2/15/11. Wealthy doc w/ three kids...I think he's scared.
6. Positive signs: WW wants to do counseling and we go when she's been here w/ me, admits she is unsure if she can go back to workplace.
7. Negative signs: She is looking for apts in area on comp, continues to text and even tried calling him today (left voicemail).

Now my struggles which I need your help/advice with.

1. Sex - I have a very strong sex drive but she has cut me off. How the heck do I cope with that? Not fun. banghead
2. Psychological issues (mental health) - Should I be concerned that she is 26 yrs old (25 when it started), only married 4 yrs and he is 43 and married? Also, she routinely talks about having kids with me... that it would make her feel loved and wanted. Also, an affair after only 3.5 yrs of marriage seems...troubling.
3. Emotional outbursts - I am trying not to have them but I stumble. I need to know ways in which I can avoid this LB.
4. Safety - I don't feel safe around her nor trust her and have told her this. Was that wrong to do?
5. Conversations - Some have turned into a discussion about our marriage and PA but they lead nowhere. How I do avoid talking about this when I really want to talk to her about it? (maybe talking on this forum will help eh?)
6. Counseling - It's not helping and I don't want to do it until she either comes back or leaves. Do we continue even if she wants to go?
7. Apt. Hunting - If she decides to move out do I offer financial support? I don't want to. I'd rather get a legal separation if she wants to do that.
10. Perspective - Ladies, what the heck is my WW thinking right now? (WAT's "alien brain abduction" is very accurate) Gentlemen, give me any manly advice on getting through this. Seriously dudes, I'm desperate.

I read to keep things brief so I'll leave it there. I'm happy to answer any questions you have and am grateful for any advice you give. I call you all my "friends" b/c the MB forum has given me encouragement and support no other could do, thank you.

P.S. - Humor is one way I'm coping so forgive me if I come across as flippant in my comments.

[BS (Me) 30, WW 26, D-DAY 1/23/11, Married 4 yrs, No kids, Affair started 08/01/11]

“The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.”

- Thucydides
devildogVA #2488870 03/15/11 07:21 PM
G
G
Originally Posted by devildogVA
... Exposure - PA has been exposed to both sides of our family, pastor, and close friends. It has not been exposed to OMW. ...
Listen up, Marine:

Why haven't you exposed to the other man's entire family, workplace and especially his wife?? That exposure is the most powerful weapon in your arsenal to make sure the affair stays dead -- which has to be Step#1 if you want to save the marriage.

Bust up their little affair-fantasy snow-globe, and you've got a fighting chance.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
devildogVA #2488880 03/15/11 07:33 PM
G
G
Apt. Hunting - If she decides to move out do I offer financial support?
Why the heck would you do that? Is it your goal to get divorced? If not, why subsidize a separation?

Affairs die when the affairees start to count the cost of their selfishness. Why would you want to lessen that cost to her, if your goal is to save the marriage?

GloveOil #2488890 03/15/11 07:52 PM
S
S
dude. i'm w/ GO. you HAVE to expose to his W. HAVE TO. cannot stress that enough. that is the most sure fire route to ending this. it will drive him away. do you think he will leave his W and 3 small kids to run away w/ a 25 y/o married woman? maybe of course. but if he truly cut off all contact w/ your W on his end, he is deathly afraid of being outed. DO IT.

and subsidizing an apt? fuggedaboutit. no. N-O. do you have any children?

my instinct tells me it will die. the A is like a patient on life support. your W is doing everything in her power to keep the paitent alive but ultimately it is a no go. it will take 2 people to do that and the OM, from what you are saying, is not inclined to do that.

and get ready for all the usual BS from your W:
"i dont love you."
"we were too young when we married."
"we have no future togethe."
"i love him not you."
"i love you but not in that way."
"he is my soulmate."
"he is everything i want in a mate and you are not."

and WTF your WW is thinking? she's not. don't even think that she is bc she isn't. i have a lot of unfortunate experience with that.

devildogVA #2488905 03/15/11 08:27 PM
G
G
She's still in the full-on, addiction stage of the affair. She's still sending him messages, so in fact, she hasn't even begun withdrawal, because she's still communicating with him. And looking for apartments? You can bet she is doing that while fantasizing of telling doctor-boy "See, now I have a place of my own, so we can be together!" See, she's lost in an unreal, fantasy-world that she's created.

The way you give yourself a prayer of getting back the woman you married & who said "yes" to you, is that you don't merely send the OM a text.

No; instead, you (without warning him or your wife) tell his wife about the affair; tell his bosses that he's fooling around with married staff; and basically, you start exponentially raising the cost to him of continuing the affair or of even thinking about continuing it, until he runs like hell in the opposite direction from your wife & anything having to do with her.

After a little bit of that, he won't look like wonder-doc; he also won't look like such a prize if he loses his position and has lawyer-bills, alimony, and child support payments for 1, 2, do I hear 3, kids! Nope, he won't look like such hot stuff to her then.

NOT telling his wife is just about the worst mistake you can make. She is the one person in the world who probably most shares your desire to end the affair; she's your best eyes-&-ears on him & on them -- your best ally. Why have you unilaterally disarmed yourself of your best weapon? That makes no sense.

Y'know what caused me to end my affair? It was when my OW's husband found her out. Once that happened, I knew I needed to do what decency told me all along I should've done. I told OW "Vaya con Dios", begged my wife to keep me, and set about working to fix my marriage.

Exposure works. It's no guarantee, but it's your best shot. So finish the job.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
GloveOil #2488937 03/15/11 09:49 PM
F
F
DevilDogVA - welcome from another Virginian to the best place no one wants to join.

You've already received top-notch advice and you appear to have already read up on the primaries. Keep it up!

One piece of advice I'll pass on to you that I learned. You seem to be a pretty smart guy.

Don't let that be your undoing!

Thinking we "know better" or that our stories are somehow "different" can spell doom for our chances of success. The sad truth is that the people here advise you not only from the knowledge we've gained from Marriage Builders, but from the school of personal experience as well.

Just recently, there were several posters who came here and told us their sad stories of disaster BECAUSE THEY DID NOT EXPOSE! If they could do it over again...

If you're truly a Devil Dog, you know what Semper Fi means. And around this place, no one has your back better than the vets of MB!

Carry on!

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
Fred_in_VA #2489028 03/16/11 08:11 AM
D
OP Offline
D
All: You guys are right. I need to further expose otherwise my Plan A is neutered and powerless. I'm going to write a letter to my WW's supervisor, hospital HR, hospital Prez., and the OMW. I'll do some research in MB forum on how to write the exposure letters, but if you have any advice on what to say I'd love to hear it. Also, what is the best way to send letter to OMW? Certified mail? Third party? I'll report back tonight.

S/F

[BS (Me) 30, WW 26, D-DAY 1/23/11, Married 4 yrs, No kids, Affair started 08/01/11]

“The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.”

- Thucydides
devildogVA #2489031 03/16/11 08:23 AM
J
J
stay around to get help through this siutation, I think the affair for your wife will end once the OMW finds out. He doesn't want her to find out, he will do whatever it takes to stop your wife, he has a lot to lose, the age difference, you wife will soon learn that she really didn't mean anything to him.....
she is still deep in the affair fog and that won't change until there isn't any more contact, so leaving her job might be a must........
I would send a registered letter the OMW has to sign for it, and leave your # so she can ask questions is she wants to.........Tell her want to save your marriage and hopes that she feels the same about hers....
welcome and marriages can be saved, be prepared for the truth, sometimes it hurts a little but great help is just around the corner for you..

BW 56
WH 57
Married 25 years, live together for 2, dated 2 years before that.....
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
Grateful for finding Marriage Builders
jessitaylor #2489045 03/16/11 09:00 AM
H
H
devildogVA...Try to expose to the OMW in person or at the very least via phone. As far as the hospital she works at I would also do that in person. My wifes company wont let anyone past the lobby so I did allot of phone work.
Once I told the OMW it was squashed like a bug. They are now in counselling trying to recover from this EA.Funny thing I like the guy and have had numerous conversations with him. He confirmed more than my WW did. Luckily they had never got to romantic fantasy's as I caught it quickly.( EA was via email and some phone 1500 miles apart)
Be diligent in this exposure and ruthless.You did nothing wrong and you are just revealing the truth.
As far as emotional outburst and the like I can offer no help as I am right there in the same frame of mind. Our MC yesterday told me to make the decision to forgive but I dont feel she has made restitution so I have a hard time swallowing that pill.

Divorced 11/5/2013
FXWW EA 2005/2008/2010
devildogVA #2489051 03/16/11 09:13 AM
M
M
All: You guys are right. I need to further expose otherwise my Plan A is neutered and powerless. I'm going to write a letter to my WW's supervisor, hospital HR, hospital Prez., and the OMW. I'll do some research in MB forum on how to write the exposure letters, but if you have any advice on what to say I'd love to hear it. Also, what is the best way to send letter to OMW? Certified mail? Third party? I'll report back tonight.

S/F

I would contact the OMW personally, either via phone or in person. That way you can answer any questions. We usually recommend sending a certified letter to the Director of Human Resources and ccing a key VP and the affairees supervisors. The cc is important so no one gives into the temptation to throw the letter away. I will post a sample.

Developed by Brits Brat, board member and corporate attorney

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is to bring a matter to your attention that may be a violation of your Company's Code of Conduct and/or other policies, procedures and business ethics.

WS and WS are involved in an extramarital affair that is taking place, primarily, in the workplace. Aside from the potential sexual harassment claims this situation presents, it also involves the inappropriate use of company resources and assets. WS and WS are using company time and company resources to further their affair. If you check the call histories on their office and cell phones along with their workstation computers, you will find the two of them are spending an inordinate amount of what should be productive work time to further their sexual relationship.

If you have any questions, please call me at xxx-xxxx. Otherwise, I will anticipate a response from you once you have investigated these concerns and taken appropriate corrective action.

Regards,

BS

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2489091 03/16/11 10:26 AM
P
P
Hi Devil Dog,

Expose to the OMW ASAP!! Once the OWH exposed to me, the A was killed THAT NIGHT!!

You can't begin to recover this marriage while your WW is still in the fog, and if she's still trying to contact him, this A is not dead.

KILL IT DEAD. You have the power to do that. Use it.

Good Luck!

Me:44 BS
H:45 FWS
Married 22 yrs
Together 27 yrs
3 children: 14, 12, 9
EA then PA: Oct '09 - Aug '10
DDay: 8/20/10
devildogVA #2489117 03/16/11 10:49 AM
S
S

3. Exposure - PA has been exposed to both sides of our family, pastor, and close friends. It has not been exposed to OMW.

Was the exposure done in a trickle fashion? Did any of these folks confront your WW?

If not...
I would re-expose to the close friends and family the same day that you expose to OMW and to the workplace. Ask these folks to help you and to contact your W and put pressure on her to end the A & leave the workplace. Once your exposure is COMPLETE, make sure your W knows that everyone knows and the A has no future.

A couple other notes...
Do NOT in any way support her move. Don't take messages, look at listings with her, etc.

Lastly, yes, forget the counseling. It is useless until the A ends and she leaves the workplace...and when you do get to that point, make sure to use the Harleys or someone who uses their principles.

Hang in there!

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
MelodyLane #2489125 03/16/11 10:59 AM
W
W
Expose to OMW. The OM's head will be spinning when he is dealing with you, while being flanked by his wife. It's how I killed my FWW's A. I talked with OM's wife in my situation, and the A was over quickly.

Call in the air support: get the OMW involved!

Me: FBH (2010) and FWH (1996): 40
Her: FWW and FBW: 40

2011: In recovery

A's are merely chocolate-covered cancer lollipops.
Wisertoday #2489139 03/16/11 11:26 AM
R
R
OMW killed my wifes affair in two hours. And they weren't even married yet.

Get that done before anything else. Like today. Just call or facebook.

If hes a doctor shes going to threaten to take him to the cleaners, he'll throw your wife away to avoid that.

FBH,Dad
No half measures, in anything.
devildogVA #2489170 03/16/11 12:19 PM
S
S
You're getting great advice from some vets here. I'll try to answer your Qs too, since your situation is so similar to mine, I'm just a few months further along than you. Vets, feel free to correct me if you disagree...

1. Sex - I have a very strong sex drive but she has cut me off. How the heck do I cope with that? Not fun. banghead
Wish I had better advice. This will be tough for you, but a strong Plan A combined with exposing to OMW will probably pull her out of the fog quick enough that she'll want to jump back in bed before too long.

2. Psychological issues (mental health) - Should I be concerned that she is 26 yrs old (25 when it started), only married 4 yrs and he is 43 and married? Also, she routinely talks about having kids with me... that it would make her feel loved and wanted. Also, an affair after only 3.5 yrs of marriage seems...troubling.
Your WW is just like mine. OM was much older, successful, and knew all the right things to say.. and we'd been married 3.5 years. Is it troubling? Hell yes, an A is troubling. Is it unrecoverable? Nope. But you do need to be prepared for the fact that an A 3.5 years in, is a bad sign, and your WW (and yourself) have a LOT of work to do to ensure your own selves, and your M, get healthy. But in all, do not be concerned about the age difference... I'd imagine it's common for the OM to be significantly older than WW.

3. Emotional outbursts - I am trying not to have them but I stumble. I need to know ways in which I can avoid this LB.
Plan A Plan A Plan A. Plan A has no place for emotional outbursts... which will remove from the $LB. She's not even in a place where your words will mean much to her. You are trying to be the attractive, strong husband she needs--and showing her just what she'll be giving up if she leaves. This means your emotional outbursts happen when you're by yourself...for now. If she asks, you're clear about your agonizing pain, but not in a judgemental way. But in Plan A, focus on being that strong, independent, dashing guy you KNOW you are...or used to be before the A smashed your heart. Fake it till you make it, or till you go to Plan B.

4. Safety - I don't feel safe around her nor trust her and have told her this. Was that wrong to do?
Nope. That's being open and honest. This is part of the STICK of the carrot/stick. Of COURSE you're not safe around her, she destroyed your heart. When she comes around, she's going to know she has to rebuild trust. BUT you also need to make it clear that she CAN rebuild trust, and that you CAN feel safe around her again if the right things happen.

5. Conversations - Some have turned into a discussion about our marriage and PA but they lead nowhere. How I do avoid talking about this when I really want to talk to her about it? (maybe talking on this forum will help eh?)
Yes, USE this forum. She's still in the fog. And she's still trying desperately to have the A, from the sounds of it. You need to Plan A hardcore, and basically abandon any hope of talking about the A until it's dead. The simple "I cannot be in a M while you are actively trying to have an affair" is probably the most conversation you need to have... while simultaneously trying to sweep her off her feet/expose, to kill the A.

6. Counseling - It's not helping and I don't want to do it until she either comes back or leaves. Do we continue even if she wants to go?
Not sure about this. I am having mixed results, but it's post-A. If the MC isn't reaming her for still trying to talk to the guy, it's not a good MC.

7. Apt. Hunting - If she decides to move out do I offer financial support? I don't want to. I'd rather get a legal separation if she wants to do that.
H-E-C-K NO! She needs to know you are NOT financing her A, and if she's walking out on your marriage she is going solo.

10. Perspective - Ladies, what the heck is my WW thinking right now? (WAT's "alien brain abduction" is very accurate) Gentlemen, give me any manly advice on getting through this. Seriously dudes, I'm desperate.

I read to keep things brief so I'll leave it there. I'm happy to answer any questions you have and am grateful for any advice you give. I call you all my "friends" b/c the MB forum has given me encouragement and support no other could do, thank you.

P.S. - Humor is one way I'm coping so forgive me if I come across as flippant in my comments.
Deal with it in whatever way makes it easier on you, brother. Sorry you're here, but welcome to the BH club.

BS: Me, 27
WS: Her, 24
EA: October
PA: 11/22/10
Moved out 12/3/10
Moved back in mid-January.

In tentative recovery. Is that the sun I see, breaking through the fog?
D
OP Offline
D
Everyone: This is great stuff! I'm at work so I can't stay too long. I AM going to expose to the wife. I'm also seeking legal counsel regarding exposing to the workplace. I want to make sure I'm not potentially liable for the resulting consequences (i.e. wife's loss of income). Any advice on that?

- Thucydides
devildogVA #2489320 03/16/11 07:23 PM
G
G
DD,

Definitely go with the exposure, make it swift and complete, do not give OM time to spin a web of lies to his betrayed W.

Give her the evidence you have, so when OM lies she can call him on it.

Given his age he does this on a constant basis and your W is likely just one in a long line of women. OM3 was a dr and both before and after the EA I saw him "out" with women who were not his W, he is now divorced.

You are doing OMW an enormous favor and all the husbands this OM would have injured with his next and next and next conquests.

I have no idea how a person who takes an oath to provide for the general good of society can do this to a young marriage.

God Bless
Gamma

devildogVA #2489336 03/16/11 07:56 PM
M
M
Everyone: This is great stuff! I'm at work so I can't stay too long. I AM going to expose to the wife. I'm also seeking legal counsel regarding exposing to the workplace. I want to make sure I'm not potentially liable for the resulting consequences (i.e. wife's loss of income). Any advice on that?

It is not illegal to expose the truth and you don't need to consult an attorney. We have several attorneys on our board who have been instrumental in developing letters, tactics, etc. And of course you would not be liable for loss of income, etc. If she gets fired, it would be because of her affair. You would just be exposing truth. Many companies choose not to employ such loose cannons and that is their right. Here is a letter that was developed by board member and corporate attorney, BritsBrat:

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is to bring a matter to your attention that may be a violation of your Company's Code of Conduct and/or other policies, procedures and business ethics.

WS and WS are involved in an extramarital affair that is taking place, primarily, in the workplace. Aside from the potential sexual harassment claims this situation presents, it also involves the inappropriate use of company resources and assets. WS and WS are using company time and company resources to further their affair. If you check the call histories on their office and cell phones along with their workstation computers, you will find the two of them are spending an inordinate amount of what should be productive work time to further their sexual relationship.

If you have any questions, please call me at xxx-xxxx. Otherwise, I will anticipate a response from you once you have investigated these concerns and taken appropriate corrective action.

Regards,

BS

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Gamma #2489341 03/16/11 08:01 PM
M
M
devildog, when you expose the affair, it is best to do it all in one day, in one fell swoop. Make up a list of family, friends, pastor, workplace, children, etc and expose the affair in one day. If you have the OM's parents information, I would contact them too.

Exposure is your absolute best weapon against an affair. While it is no guarantee, we have had affairs killed the day they were exposed. Dr Harley talks about it almost every day on his show. Today was no exception. Here is what he has written and said about it:

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
Exposure is very likely to end the affair, lifting the fog that has overcome the unfaithful spouse, helping him or her become truly repentant and willing to put energy and effort into a full marital recovery. In my experience with thousands of couples who struggle with the fallout of infidelity, exposure has been the single most important first step toward recovery. It not only helps end the affair, but it also provides support to the betrayed spouse, giving him or her stamina to hold out for ultimate recovery.
here

Radio clip of Dr Harley discussing exposure with betrayed husband

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2489351 03/16/11 08:26 PM
M
M
While it is no guarantee, we have had affairs killed the day they were exposed.

Nuclear exposure killed my H's A the DAY I exposed. My exposure targets were:

*my entire family, his entire family
*coolrunning.com, where he met the OW (I registered and started my own thread). Good news travels fast and before I knew it it had reached other running message boards as well.
*OW's school (she was a teacher)
*all good friends of mine and DH

Do this ASAP, you won't regret it.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006
D-Day #3~Feb.27, 2007 (we'd been in a FR)
Plan B~ March 3 ~ April 6, 2007

In Recovery and things are improving every day. MB rocks. smile
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 672 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation