Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
L
From my reading, I was under the impression that Dr Harely claimed 100% success rate when both partners use the program, not 90%. Sort of like a diet. If you religously follow it, it works.
But, there are a lot of WSs who will not particpate, my own among them. We are moribound, IMO. And, there is not a damnthing I can do about it. Too bad for the kids.

M
M
Originally Posted by Enlightened_Ex
As I said, for the sake of those who are following in my footsteps, experiencing the same sorts of things, I hope I'm wrong, I'd like to see 90% of BH's recover their marriages and have a mutually fulfilling marriage with their wives. Ditto for 90% of BW's.
But I believe the outcome is much lower.

Much lower than what? You are manufacturing false standards in order to portray the program as a failure. You are being disingenuous. Dr Harley has said that his program [meaning the Basic concepts] works 90% of the time. He has also said that in Plan A - meaning an active affair - that Plan A works 15% of the time.

Since the purpose of Plan B is NOT to reconcile but to protect the betrayed spouse from harm, there are obviously no stats for recovery.

I believe the figures quoted are when everything falls into place. When the WS ends the affair immediately upon exposure, or some external event derails their fantasy train.

Which figures? The figures cited for Plan A or the figures for the basic concepts?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by LarsT
From my reading, I was under the impression that Dr Harely claimed 100% success rate when both partners use the program, not 90%. Sort of like a diet. If you religously follow it, it works.

I already posted his statement so you can read for yourself.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

E
OP Offline
E
But someone, not you, has suggested that plan B is even MORE effective than plan A.

Did you jump them yet for getting it wrong, or is that just reserved for when you think I'm wrong?

Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Didn't you just say the 90% excludes those with affairs? I was under the impression his 90% figure included all those couples who came to him, affairs, no affairs, simply couples who came to him to restore their marriage.

The 90% does not apply to Plan A and Plan B, which was my point. Which would be applicable to those in ACTIVE affairs. That 90% applies to those couples who use the basic concepts with both on board, regardless of an affair in the past. In other words, he doesn't apply that 90% to Plan A and Plan B.

On Plan A, for example, he only gives a 15% chance of the affair ending and no odds in Plan B. But then, he doesn't ever claim Plan B can save a marrige, it's only purpose is to protect the BS from the affair.

You question the relevance of my asking what are the typical results for a BH, and you mention the 90% stat.

Yes, the 90% stat is in conjuction to those couples who BOTH use the program, ie: the basic concepts. The 90% will apply to any BH when both he and his WW use the program.

And I see you still haven't answered my question. frown

So bascially, if the WS doesn't end his/her affair on confrontation on D-day, there is a 15% chance that plan A will motivate the WS to end the affair.

In your words, which I tend to agree are true here, plan B is not designed to end the affair, but it does present a "limited time offer" in the plan B letter that if they end the affair and pledge to a program of MB, that the BS will take them back, but this is an offer with an unspecified expiration date, known only to the BS.

So to reach the 65% figure for saved marriages that I read from you before, is it correct that you are saying that approximately the other 50% of saved marriages are saved during the D-Day phase since plan B is not designed to actually save the marriage, but protect the BS?

Because if plan A works 15% of the time, and plan B is not designed to save your marriage, then your odds only improve a little if you actually plan A vs just confronting the affair on D-Day.

Do I understand what you are saying?

Or how do you arrive at 65% save percentage?

E
OP Offline
E
I'm not playing cat and mouse, if you want to know, I've spelled out, in plain English, what it takes for me to answer your question. It's a reasonable request, take it or leave it.

More sidestepping.

Actually, I have presented why I think it's a valid question. You simply refuse to accept the answer I've presented.

So why would I repeat my answer given your behavior?

M
M
But someone, not you, has suggested that plan B is even MORE effective than plan A.

Nope. I did not claim that Plan B was "more effective." The purpose of Plan B is to protect the BS. Period.

So bascially, if the WS doesn't end his/her affair on confrontation on D-day, there is a 15% chance that plan A will motivate the WS to end the affair.

In your words, which I tend to agree are true here, plan B is not designed to end the affair, but it does present a "limited time offer" in the plan B letter that if they end the affair and pledge to a program of MB, that the BS will take them back, but this is an offer with an unspecified expiration date, known only to the BS.

So to reach the 65% figure for saved marriages that I read from you before, is it correct that you are saying that approximately the other 50% of saved marriages are saved during the D-Day phase since plan B is not designed to actually save the marriage, but protect the BS?

No, I am not saying that at all. I said nothing about the D-Day phase and haven't speculated on how many marriages are reconciled during Plan B. I have no idea.

Because if plan A works 15% of the time, and plan B is not designed to save your marriage, then your odds only improve a little if you actually plan A vs just confronting the affair on D-Day.

Do I understand what you are saying?

Or how do you arrive at 65% save percentage?

The 65% figure is widely reported as the # of marriages that don't end up divorced over an affair.

Exposure 101

L
L
Yes, but the 90% figure does not seem to square with the statement that follows his saying that he is not convinced it works 100% of the time. He says that of the tens of thousands of folks he has counseled, he has yet to see one coule that did not go onto a healthy marriage.
Perhaps it is his personal intervention vs the employment of the method without his personal interventionthat accounts for the 10% increase.

I already posted his statement so you can read for yourself.

E
OP Offline
E
OK then bear with me here.

If 65% of all affairs do not end up in divorce and only 15% of plan A'ers achieve a recovered marriage, where are the other 50% of those affairs that don't end in divorce?

Now before you jump on me, I realize that we hear nothing about the quality of those marriages, and I don't want to muddy the waters asking how many of those 65% that don't end in divorce are marriages we would actually want to be part of. That's a whole other legitimate question for another thread if you want to discuss it.

But if plan A only gets you 15% of the 65% widely reported, where do the other 50% come from?

Plan random luck?

If plan A is only effective in 15% of cases, what are the factors that get the best results out of those odds? Are they different for BH's vs BW's? You know the litany of questions, so I won't repeat all of them.

M
M
OK then bear with me here.

If 65% of all affairs do not end up in divorce and only 15% of plan A'ers achieve a recovered marriage, where are the other 50% of those affairs that don't end in divorce?]

You tell me. I do not profess to know.

Now before you jump on me, I realize that we hear nothing about the quality of those marriages, and I don't want to muddy the waters asking how many of those 65% that don't end in divorce are marriages we would actually want to be part of. That's a whole other legitimate question for another thread if you want to discuss it.

That is real easy to answer and Dr Harley does address this. Only 20% really recover. Most are worse off than the pre-affair marriage.

But if plan A only gets you 15% of the 65% widely reported, where do the other 50% come from?

Plan random luck?

I don't think its that hard to figure out. Most affairs last around 2 years, rarely do they go longer than that. Plan A for women lasts 2 to 3 weeks and 6 months for men, so it stands to reason that many end AFTER Plan A.

If plan A is only effective in 15% of cases, what are the factors that get the best results out of those odds? Are they different for BH's vs BW's? You know the litany of questions, so I won't repeat all of them.

You would have to ask Dr Harley this question. I know what I see here on the board, but have no idea how would answer that question.

Exposure 101

L
L
You make a good point , enlightened. I think those of us who may be more logical/mathematical thinkers see where the figures do not seem to add up.
I am sure i read that plan B is even less likely to break up an affair than Plan A.
So, we get a max of >30% of affairs ending due to the plans. That leaves 70% of the affirs ongoing after the plans are implemented.
The only thing I can think of is that the remaining 70% die, for the most part, regardless of the plans implementation.
So,can we draw the conclusion that affairs die, for the most part, regardless of the use of the plan? And, that once the affair dies , 65% recover their marriage(again no comment onhow happy it is).

M
M
You make a good point , enlightened. I think those of us who may be more logical/mathematical thinkers see where the figures do not seem to add up.
I am sure i read that plan B is even less likely to break up an affair than Plan A.

Do you not understand that Plan B is not intended to break up an affair? Can I ask why you are commenting on this subject if you don't understand the topic? It that your idea of "logic?"

Did you just sign up on the board to make cheap shots about Marriage Builders?

Exposure 101

M
M
Enough! We are locking this thread and getting back to the business of this board, which is marriage building.

mbsurvivor11@gmail.com
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 822 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation